PDA

View Full Version : I think Dick gets one year

X-Era
01-05-2009, 07:11 AM
Chris Brown and many others have indicated this.

Unlike some, I think there is definitely something to be said for continuity and stability.

Brett Favre is a hall of fame QB, but when he switched to NYJ's playbook it still took him most of the year to learn it.

There are many possible benefits from keeping things the same:

1) What if it takes more than one year to get the proper personnel to run a scheme? Changing schemes due to a HC change would make it worse next year, not better

2) What if it takes more than three years sometimes to get the right guys to run a system? The 3 and out HC method would never have us playing top ball in our current scheme

Theres no doubt that Dick deserved the axe after many stupid gameday decisions. But I think his leash is short now, its one year. He has to now prove that keeping continuity, and stability makes us better this year in wins and losses. And that must trickle down to other areas. We can no longer miss opportunities. Good teams make good decisions and seize opportunities:

1) We can no longer have a +5 takeaway in a game and still lose, and we need to show we can hang on to the ball much much better.

2) We can no longer have a 100+ rusher at the half and still lose

3) We must learn to keep drives going, and we must learn to make the big stops on 3rd down. We must find a way to cover the seems in our D.

4) We must become potent in the red zone

5) We must learn to manage the gameclock

6) We must learn to manage challenges

Better talent will help. But it has to be significantly better, not marginal. That may get us a game here or there. But strong leadership, coaching, and gameday management is what gets us over the hump and into the playoffs.

The Bills gave Dick another chance, but IMO, he has one year to prove that the team, the record, and he himself can get better... or hes out.

lukabrossi
01-05-2009, 07:34 AM
In my opinion.......it's one year too long.

HHURRICANE
01-05-2009, 07:59 AM
I agree with the post.

Just curious for everyone who wants a new coach. Did any of you watch the playoffs this weekend?

I'm just curious if Parcells and Cowher were going to get more sacks out of Kelsay and Schobel than the 9 they combined for in 2007? Or the 6 they were on pace for in 2008?

Were they going to eliminate the double team from Evans? Were they going to make Losman smarter as the backup?

Were the Bills making the playoffs at 9-7?

If we were close to a Superbowl caliber roster than I'd be all over dumping Jauron. But we are not. If you don't have players to execute your gameplan it doesn't matter how smart you are.

ddaryl
01-05-2009, 08:06 AM
Why should any of us have to wait and watch a guarenteed screwed up coaching job next year to justify what we know this year...

the only thing any Bills fans have left is just complete frustration and anger. In fact anytime Dick hits the media podium someone should be there pelting him with rotten tomatoes until he starts squirting tears like the pansy ass that he is and quits...

don't get me started or I might have to go off on how I really feel.

ddaryl
01-05-2009, 08:09 AM
I agree with the post.

Just curious for everyone who wants a new coach. Did any of you watch the playoffs this weekend?

I'm just curious if Parcells and Cowher were going to get more sacks out of Kelsay and Schobel than the 9 they combined for in 2007? Or the 6 they were on pace for in 2008?

Were they going to eliminate the double team from Evans? Were they going to make Losman smarter as the backup?

Were the Bills making the playoffs at 9-7?

If we were close to a Superbowl caliber roster than I'd be all over dumping Jauron. But we are not. If you don't have players to execute your gameplan it doesn't matter how smart you are.

HH

You saw the bizzarre game day decisions we all have seen the last 3 years... Yes we lack talent... but the emotionless, consequence-less Dick brand of football could of have had this team playing better IMO with the talent at hand...

If we get the talent to make the playoffs then it is GUARENTEED that Dick will make a game time decision that will prevent any team he coaches from moving forward... There is and never will be a SB possibility with Dick at the helm... so why pretend

lukabrossi
01-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Why should any of us have to wait and watch a guarenteed screwed up coaching job next year to justify what we know this year...

the only thing any Bills fans have left is just complete frustration and anger. In fact anytime Dick hits the media podium someone should be there pelting him with rotten tomatoes until he starts squirting tears like the pansy ass that he is and quits...

don't get me started or I might have to go off on how I really feel.

I agree with ya.

HHURRICANE
01-05-2009, 10:55 AM
HH

You saw the bizzarre game day decisions we all have seen the last 3 years... Yes we lack talent... but the emotionless, consequence-less Dick brand of football could of have had this team playing better IMO with the talent at hand...

If we get the talent to make the playoffs then it is GUARENTEED that Dick will make a game time decision that will prevent any team he coaches from moving forward... There is and never will be a SB possibility with Dick at the helm... so why pretend

In Marv's first year he took us from 2-14 to 4-12 with Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, and Andre Reed on his roster.

It took him 5 years to get us to a Superbowl.

lukabrossi
01-05-2009, 11:00 AM
It took Ralph 5 years to get them to the superbowl. It was Ralph who opened his wallet and brought in the talent to shore-up the roster. With all of that talent in place, a monkey could have coached the superbowl Bills.

billsfanone
01-05-2009, 11:02 AM
one more year of what? What does he have to do to stay or go?

HHURRICANE
01-05-2009, 11:03 AM
It took Ralph 5 years to get them to the superbowl. It was Ralph who opened his wallet and brought in the talent to shore-up the roster. With all of that talent in place, a monkey could have coached the superbowl Bills.

You are obviously younger than me because that's not what happened. The Bills made a series of good trades and drafts by a brilliant young footbal mind named Bill Polian.

The only reason Ralph Wilson had to open his wallet was because he had to pay the guys by default, not by choice.

lukabrossi
01-05-2009, 11:08 AM
actually.....you may be right.

X-Era
01-05-2009, 05:54 PM
one more year of what? What does he have to do to stay or go?

I think 10 wins with a playoff berth.

But I bet that 10 wins without one keeps him here too.

naugem
01-05-2009, 07:43 PM
Maybe Ralphie just looked at our schedule next year and thought "We're screwed anyway, why waste the head coaching money on another guy", and decided to keep the same guy in the slim hope that he actually improves...

But as a fan, after seeing all the idiotic calls, it's tough to buy...

Nighthawk
01-05-2009, 08:22 PM
There is nothing positive that comes from keeping continuity if it means continued crappiness. I hate this arguement and think it is ignorant.

X-Era
01-05-2009, 08:31 PM
There is nothing positive that comes from keeping continuity if it means continued crappiness. I hate this arguement and think it is ignorant.

To me its ignorant to go on a rant over one guy for months, when there is a whole team to think about.

topher180
01-05-2009, 08:54 PM

Unlike some, I think there is definitely something to be said for continuity and stability.

Brett Favre is a hall of fame QB, but when he switched to NYJ's playbook it still took him most of the year to learn it.

1) What if it takes more than one year to get the proper personnel to run a scheme? Changing schemes due to a HC change would make it worse next year, not better

2) What if it takes more than three years sometimes to get the right guys to run a system? The 3 and out HC method would never have us playing top ball in our current scheme

Theres no doubt that Dick deserved the axe after many stupid gameday decisions. But I think his leash is short now, its one year. He has to now prove that keeping continuity, and stability makes us better this year in wins and losses. And that must trickle down to other areas. We can no longer miss opportunities. Good teams make good decisions and seize opportunities:

1) We can no longer have a +5 takeaway in a game and still lose, and we need to show we can hang on to the ball much much better.

3) We must learn to keep drives going, and we must learn to make the big stops on 3rd down. We must find a way to cover the seems in our D.

Better talent will help. But it has to be significantly better, not marginal. That may get us a game here or there. But strong leadership, coaching, and gameday management is what gets us over the hump and into the playoffs.

The Bills gave Dick another chance, but IMO, he has one year to prove that the team, the record, and he himself can get better... or hes out.

Sorry dude. I read "Chris Brown" and it was all Teacher-From-Charlie-Brown-sounding from there.

But seriously, this thread is ridiculous. I love when people say WE too btw.

Nighthawk
01-05-2009, 09:57 PM
To me its ignorant to go on a rant over one guy for months, when there is a whole team to think about.

Nope, it's not...when getting rid of this HC should be priority #1 for this organization.

jimbohastle51
01-06-2009, 12:09 AM

honestly i think if dick starts slow and we are 2-3 or 1-3 i think that he gets canned right then and april steps in for the rest of the year. there are not going to just let us keep sliding and unless there is improvement he wont even get the whole year.

Crazygoo
01-06-2009, 08:30 AM
honestly i think if dick starts slow and we are 2-3 or 1-3 i think that he gets canned right then and april steps in for the rest of the year. there are not going to just let us keep sliding and unless there is improvement he wont even get the whole year.
i agree, i don't see him being around if we have a bad start. I think by week 6 he will be gone.

HHURRICANE
01-06-2009, 08:51 AM
Coach will be the number one priority when the roster looks like a playoff caliber roster.

lukabrossi
01-06-2009, 09:58 AM
Jauron blows big balls and how he retained his job after such a disasterous season is a mystery to me. The only thing that may save this team, is to fire Jauron and promote Bobby April...other than that, if Jauron stays, then there will be many, many more ****ty and wasted seasons for this team, my friends.
I have spoken.