PDA

View Full Version : Well, well, well. Jim Leonhard

billsfanone
01-05-2009, 07:43 AM
It's not the coaching, it's the talent.
-Buffalo Bills Spin Machine

So I see Jim Leonard all over the field yesterday. I wipe my eyes. This can't be the same guy who was on the Bills, could it? And let go.

Of course it is. Only difference is he's on a real defense. Not the cupcake D we have now.

It's not the talent, it's the system.
-oceros

Typ0
01-05-2009, 07:44 AM
it's funny how you plug in a few bonified overachievers and suddenly everyone gets a lot better. That's the truth. We don't have any overachievers at all. We need some playmakers and our average guys will look a lot better too.

HHURRICANE
01-05-2009, 07:48 AM

So I see Jim Leonard all over the field yesterday. I wipe my eyes. This can't be the same guy who was on the Bills, could it? And let go.

Of course it is. Only difference is he's on a real defense. Not the cupcake D we have now.

-oceros

No, it's not the scheme, it's the ****ing lack of real DEs.

Remeber when Greg Willimas was here and the only way to the QB was with these crazy blitz schemes.

What's the link? Schobel and Kelsay! We've had the same crappy duo for how long now?

lukabrossi
01-05-2009, 07:52 AM
it's the lack of good, consistant coaching, my friends.......tell yourselves what you have to, to deal with it in your own ways, but as my ole man always told me...." a piece of **** with a pretty pink bow on it.......is still a piece of ****".
I have spoken.

ddaryl
01-05-2009, 07:54 AM
it's a combination of th 2. Coaching and talent... On D, Our DE's are pathetic, and LB depth is weak. on O we need a real #1 WR and the middle of the OL needs an upgrade..

But all of the talent upgrades will not keep our coaches from making the same stupid mistakes and calls they have been making

Pinkerton Security
01-05-2009, 07:57 AM
Jim Leonhard looked good because the players around him are good and because they actually pressure the QB. His pick was pretty much a rushed throw that was overthrown, right to him. On that particular play, I could have had a damn interception.

They have a great scheme AND the right players to run it.

HHURRICANE
01-05-2009, 08:04 AM
it's a combination of th 2. Coaching and talent... On D, Our DE's are pathetic, and LB depth is weak. on O we need a real #1 WR and the middle of the OL needs an upgrade..

But all of the talent upgrades will not keep our coaches from making the same stupid mistakes and calls they have been making

If our talent was better we wouldn't always have to be coaching our way to a victory.

The loss that Jauron gets the most crap for was the Jets game. The fact that he has to ponder wether his backup QB might be too stupid to get rid of the ball makes it hard to coach this team.

The Pats game is the on that Jauron should have been fired over, not the Jets game.

Jan Reimers
01-05-2009, 08:12 AM
Justin Bannan was also part of the Ravens' starting defense, as were Lawyer Milloy and Coy Wire in Atlanta. Mike Gandy is the LT in Arizona. And these are guys we dumped, and don't include the Antoine Winfields and others whom we let walk.

There is something fundamentally rotten with our organization.

ddaryl
01-05-2009, 08:13 AM
If our talent was better we wouldn't always have to be coaching our way to a victory.

The loss that Jauron gets the most crap for was the Jets game. The fact that he has to ponder wether his backup QB might be too stupid to get rid of the ball makes it hard to coach this team.

The Pats game is the on that Jauron should have been fired over, not the Jets game.

You always have to coach your way to victory with or without talent.

We've seen way to many strage and untimely coaching screw ups all year long in games we won and lost. I've seen to much of it to even try to give him another year.

Yes talent will help disguise the problem, but even with talent upgrades Dick will screw us over somehow...

madness
01-05-2009, 09:29 AM
Jim Leonhard was nowhere near the player he is today. Players aren't automatically good straight out of college. :shakeno:

Jan Reimers
01-05-2009, 09:34 AM
Jim Leonhard was nowhere near the player he is today. Players aren't automatically good straight out of college. :shakeno:
Usually, though, the Bills are patient in bringing young players along, especially bright and hard-working guys like Leonhard. It just seems like we have a knack for keeping the wrong guys.

tat2dmike77
01-05-2009, 10:14 AM
Let's not forget that it was Chad Pennington. Come on we all know this guy and we all knew that at some point the same ol Pennington was going to show up.

Next season he will be hurt a few times have INT's close to the 20's and TD's in the low teens. He had a good year this year but he is and always will be the same ol Pennington.

bigbub2352
01-05-2009, 10:20 AM
All this goes to show you one thing, Coaching is the main problem, u can say lack of pass rush, or lack of this or lack of that, but when you have a coaching staff and front office that continuinly selects players and signs players that dont fit the schemes you empliment you have the same problems every year, hence our terrible D and O
This isnt rocket science, we traded for a non cover 2 DT in stroud signed a non cover 2 LBer in Mitchell and drafted a non cover 2 LBer in Poz, this is why we dont have an effective D all the time
Terrible over paid DEs
and dont get me started on the Oline

madness
01-05-2009, 10:33 AM
Usually, though, the Bills are patient in bringing young players along, especially bright and hard-working guys like Leonhard. It just seems like we have a knack for keeping the wrong guys.

I blame Ko Simpson!

Seriously, he definitely did take some heat for being on this roster (*cough*Op*cough*... :D) but I really liked the kid and remember articles saying how bright he was and how he had the defense down solid already into his rookie year. He always seemed to be in the right place at the right time. Now he's doing it for Baltimore although I do agree he's one of those guys who benefits from the talent around him. If still here, he would have just melted in along with the rest on an underachieving Bills defense.

madness
01-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Wow, apparently he picked up Baltimore's defense just as quick!

Hard not to be happy for Bannan and Leonhard (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/01/05/hard-not-to-be-happy-for-bannan-and-leonhard/)

By Chris Brown - Posted January 5th, 2009
Have to say it was easy to root for former Bills Justin Bannan and Jim Leonhard yesterday in their playoff win over the Dolphins.
Bannan has been starting alongside Haloti Ngata at DT since Kelly Gregg was lost to a season-ending injury, while Leonhard has become a fixture on defense and actually calls plays in the huddle for the Ravens.
Leonhard of course had a big INT (http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-ravensdolphins104-pg,0,2754066.photogallery?index=bal-apravensdolphinsfoll20090104162052)in Sunday’s game at Miami along with seven tackles to finish third on the team, a half sack and a quarterback hit from his strong safety position.
Most of you that watched the game probably heard Phil Simms and Jim Nantz mention that Leonhard upon signing with the Ravens, learned Rex Ryan’s defense in one day. Leonhard was always mentally sharp, which is what made him such a good anticipator.
He’s been very productive for Baltimore. Bannan added two tackles, but does a lot of the dirty work up front. Buffalo’s current staff wanted Bannan to re-sign with the Bills as they arrived in 2006, but the Ravens gave him a fat free agent deal which was more than Buffalo wanted to spend.
We’ll see how far the two can go with the Ravens as they have a tough road game at Tennessee this week in the Division round.

justasportsfan
01-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Jim Leonhard looked good because the players around him are good and because they actually pressure the QB. His pick was pretty much a rushed throw that was overthrown, right to him. On that particular play, I could have had a damn interception.

They have a great scheme AND the right players to run it.
at least he can pick an rushed/overthrown pass. OUr safeties can't.

justasportsfan
01-05-2009, 04:03 PM

According to TDummy it's only talent. coaching has nothing to do with it.

topher180
01-05-2009, 04:12 PM

-oceros

Great post, and great points made thus far.

I have to admit though, I just shrugged when I heard he was gone. This has nothing to do with his talent or intelligence, but I distinctly remember him getting lit up all the time. I dunno, could be wrong but that's what I recall.

I'm happy for him though. As it's been mentioned, amazing what having talent on your team will do for your play/career.

justasportsfan
01-05-2009, 04:17 PM
The decision to get rid of Leonard was based on talent. He's a talentless bum who only has a few tackles and an INT more in the playoffs than MOST of our players .

That's what our birdbrain coaching staff thinks at least.

Leonard has one playoff game experience compared to the ones we drafted. Why we kept Wilson over him goes to show you how stupid this coaching staff is.

I wouldn't be surprised if Leonard was let go because he was smarter than our coaches.

Jim :lolpoint: Dick

Willis McGahee :lolpoint: Dick

Mahdi
01-05-2009, 05:04 PM

-oceros
While Jim Leonard was standing there waiting for the ball to be thrown right to him a Raven LB was hitting Pennington in the mouth. That's how you create turnovers, QBs as a general rule dont voluntarily throw interceptions. How often does our DL even harass QBs let alone hit them?

Football is a simple game, pressure the QB, get turnovers. Dont pressure the QB, get burned. Leonard is a ballhawk I'll give him that, but he is also playing behind a pressure defense, thats not an excuse, its fact.

Lexwhat
01-05-2009, 05:25 PM
Seems like some of you haven't been paying attention. Dawan Landry had a season-ending injury early this year. Jim Leonard has been the starter almost the entire year.

I've watched 5-6 Ravens games this year. Leonard has been playing well the whole time, not just yesterday.

Owen DeBoard
01-05-2009, 06:04 PM
No, it's not the scheme, it's the ****ing lack of real DEs.

Remeber when Greg Willimas was here and the only way to the QB was with these crazy blitz schemes.

What's the link? Schobel and Kelsay! We've had the same crappy duo for how long now?
When Greg Williams was here our defense was good. We had Pat Williams and Sam Adams in the middle. That was the last time we beat the Pats not to metion shut them out. This cover 2 scheme sucks.

pintonick96
01-05-2009, 06:08 PM
We offered Leonhard a deal, just sometimes they sign somewhere else.

zone
01-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Jim Leonhard is an average safety and a below average return man at best. He plays on one of the best D's in the history of the league and he is a smart guy which allowed him to learn the defense fast and be able to step in after an injury to down the starter.

You put Leonhard on any other D including this one and people would be *****ing for an upgrade.

zone
01-05-2009, 06:20 PM
Also as a side note, the coaching staff has very little input on what the Ravens D does on the field on game day, the players are extremely well prepared and make their own adjustments and decisions.

Reedfense.