PDA

View Full Version : New Mocks, Bills selections.

TacklingDummy
01-05-2009, 08:55 AM
11. Buffalo Bills-Jason Smith, OT-Baylor

Bills’ fans have witnessed an amazing metamorphosis of Jason Peters from oversized college Tight End to Pro Bowl Left Tackle. Peters, however, witnessed this as well and would like to be compensated. He will price himself out of Buffalo and the fast-rising Smith will remedy that predicament.

11 Buffalo Brian Orakpo DE Texas

11. Buffalo Bills: Brandon Pettigrew TE (Oklahoma State)

This pick really depends on what happens with Angelo Crowell in the off-season. After being injured for the 2008 season, he may not be that hot of a commodity in the free agent market and remain in Buffalo. If he moves on, OLB will become a priority. However, Pettigrew may be the receiving tight end that the Bills lack.

11. Buffalo Bills - Moffett, Neefy, DE Florida State
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THIS PICK - EVERETTE BROWN DE FLORIDA STATE************************** The Bills would give themselves an excellent pass rusher to increase the pressure on the opposing QB. Everette Brown is a solid 6'4 260 lbs DE who can come in and apply immediate pressure.

11. Buffalo Bills decline this season is a head scratching one but I think it can be credited to their decline in pass defense. Their corners are fine, in fact they used a first rounder on Leodis McKlevin last year and he has done fine. However, with Aaron Schobel, injury and age, possibly done as an elite pass rusher for his career, they need to get a #1 pass rusher quick. Quarterbacks are getting too much time in the pocket against them. Penn State DE Aaron Maybin is the best pass rusher left on the board

11. Buffalo Bills
Rey Maualuga, LB, USC
Playmaker on defense that can run, hit, catch, and tackle with the best of the them. Would make a great combo with Paul P and Mitchell.

11. Buffalo Bills - Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest
Smith does not have prototype cornerback height. However, behind Jenkins he has emerged as the second-ranked corner prospect on many draft projection boards, and he has shown both great speed and (perhaps just as importantly) outstanding instinct at reading quarterbacks and blanketing receivers. Buffalo has not had a top-tier CB since losing Nate Clements to a free agency mega-payday with the 49ers in early 2007.

Greg Hardy (Scouting Report) DE - Ole Miss
The Bills showed interest in trading for TE Tony Gonzalez this season showing their interest in upgrading their tight end position, but I just don't see a TE worthy of this pick...even Jermaine Gresham. All that may change with some combine and workout numbers but for now they will have to address that position later in the draft. The Bills have other needs they need to address. I know they had some injuries on the D-Line, but 24 total sacks on the season? I know they had some injusries on that D-Line including Schobel, but 6 combined sacks between Kelay and Denney is just not good enough. I think they look at a DE here and don't think they could pass on someone like Greg Hardy. He has good size at 6-5 260 and will instantly improve their passrush.
Team needs: TE, DE, OL
Alternative pick: TE - Jermaine Gresham

11. Buffalo Bills - Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest
The Bills have a few routes they could go: OLB, TE, and DE. At this slot, I believe the best value is Aaron Curry. Curry is the draft's top OLB and could be an immediate upgrade over current starter Keith Ellison. I believe this pick is too high for a TE, and believe the depth at DE allows the Bills to wait. After Curry and Brian Cushing, there is a major drop off at the OLB position. At 11, I would consider Curry an almost no brainer.

11. Buffalo Bills (7-9) – Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri

11. Buffalo Bills: Everette Brown, DE, Florida State
After such a hot start, who would have thought that the Bills would once again end up with the No. 11 pick? It's not a good time to be a Buffalo fan right now.

One of the team's huge weaknesses this year was its lacking pass rush. Buffalo finished with 24 sacks on the year, and no player had more than four. I know Aaron Schobel missed most of the year, but they had similar problems even when he was in the lineup.

11. Buffalo: Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas
The Kelsay, Denney experiment failed. Schobel will be back next season and opposite with Orakpo will give a huge boost to the defensive line

11. Buffalo Bills - DE Michael Johnson (Georgia Tech)
The Bills are feeling the pain at defensive end. Despite rostering Aaron Schobel, the rest of the depth chart produced very little. When Schobel went down with an injury, the other DEs didn’t even look like they wanted to play. Buffalo would get an excellent pass rusher and special teams player with this former Yellow Jacket

11. Brandon Pettigrew TE, Oklahoma St.: What is the best cure for a struggling young QB? Give him a nice big tight end for a safety valve.

T-Long
01-05-2009, 09:36 AM
Most of these I agree with besides:

Jason Smith OT: No way in hell they go OL at pick 11
Any of the TE's: I can't see them taking a TE that high. If they trade back, then definitely.
Alphonso Smith CB: Why in the hell would we take a CB AGAIN with pick #11?

I think it would be irresponsible for the Bills to NOT take a pass rushing DE with pick #11. Orakpo, Johnson, Maybin (he'll probably stay in school), Hardy, or Brown will be there. All of them warrant that pick #11. I would rank them as follows:

1. Orakpo
2. Johnson
3. Hardy
4. Brown

Jan Reimers
01-05-2009, 09:50 AM
Most of these I agree with besides:

Jason Smith OT: No way in hell they go OL at pick 11
Any of the TE's: I can't see them taking a TE that high. If they trade back, then definitely.
Alphonso Smith CB: Why in the hell would we take a CB AGAIN with pick #11?

I think it would be irresponsible for the Bills to NOT take a pass rushing DE with pick #11. Orakpo, Johnson, Maybin (he'll probably stay in school), Hardy, or Brown will be there. All of them warrant that pick #11. I would rank them as follows:

1. Orakpo
2. Johnson
3. Hardy
4. Brown
I agree, At some point, we have to stop taking CBs and WRs and address by far our area of most critical need, DE. Without a pass rush, we will continue our 9 year reign of futility.

THATHURMANATOR
01-05-2009, 09:53 AM
Smith does not have prototype cornerback height. However, behind Jenkins he has emerged as the second-ranked corner prospect on many draft projection boards, and he has shown both great speed and (perhaps just as importantly) outstanding instinct at reading quarterbacks and blanketing receivers. Buffalo has not had a top-tier CB since losing Nate Clements to a free agency mega-payday with the 49ers in early 2007.

How many CBs do we freaking need?

TacklingDummy
01-05-2009, 09:54 AM
I agree, At some point, we have to stop taking CBs and WRs and address by far our area of most critical need, DE. Without a pass rush, we will continue our 9 year reign of futility.

If the Bills don't draft the best DE available the only other player I would want drafted is Rey Maualuga, LB, USC.

Jan Reimers
01-05-2009, 10:00 AM
If the Bills don't draft the best DE available the only other player I would want drafted is Rey Maualuga, LB, USC.
I wouldn't mind that either, if we got a quality pass rushing DE in free agency.

Dr. Lecter
01-05-2009, 10:02 AM
The Bills must draft somebody who weighs more than 230 pounds.

Curry would be awesome, but will likely be gone. But I can dream.

THATHURMANATOR
01-05-2009, 10:08 AM
If they draft another CB I will smash all the tv's at the draft party.

THEY NEED A DE FOR CHRIST SAKES!!

tat2dmike77
01-05-2009, 10:19 AM
BUFFALO BILLS DRAFT MOTTO

"DB's will fix everything"

User Manuel
01-05-2009, 10:21 AM
Rey Maualuga, LB, USC

Anything else would be just plain stupid, unless

Crabtree falls

BlackMetalNinja
01-05-2009, 10:27 AM
I'm ok with Orakpo, Pettigrew, or Curry for certain... Wouldn't mind any of the other DEs mentioned or maybe Maualuga depending on how thinks shook out.

And with Pettigrew, I'd love him on this team, but I'm not sure that DE or LB might not be a more pressing need at #11.

Ed
01-05-2009, 10:39 AM
I think Curry is my favorite pick out of all those, but I'm hoping we re-sign Crowell or pick up Dansby from Arizona in free agency.

I seriously doubt we get or even go after Peppers or Suggs, so I think DE will be the obvious choice for us when the draft rolls around. So I'd be happy with the best DE and it seems like there's pretty good depth this year.

Even if we were to pick up Bertrand Berry, he's even older then Schobel, so I think a young DE is a top need no matter what.

DraftBoy
01-05-2009, 10:49 AM
One thing I dont get is the love for the TE's in this class specifically Pettigrew who has off the field issues and caught a total of 0 TD's this year. Gresham I can understand but after that they are good-average, nothing special.

DraftBoy
01-05-2009, 10:50 AM

"DB will fix everything"

I know, you know it...why they dont know it yet though is beyond me.

Jan Reimers
01-05-2009, 10:54 AM
One thing I dont get is the love for the TE's in this class specifically Pettigrew who has off the field issues and caught a total of 0 TD's this year. Gresham I can understand but after that they are good-average, nothing special.
Given our needs, it would take at least the second coming of Tony Gonzalez for us to take a TE at 11. And I don't see any of these guys at TG.

DraftBoy
01-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Given our needs, it would take at least the second coming of Tony Gonzalez for us to take a TE at 11. And I don't see any of these guys at TG.

Id take Gresham but not before pick 20. I wouldnt mind dealing down at 11 if Johnson, Orakpo, and Curry are all gone.

Dr. Lecter
01-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Id take Gresham but not before pick 20. I wouldnt mind dealing down at 11 if Johnson, Orakpo, and Curry are all gone.

Johnson could be had later, imo especially after his bowl performance.

bflobarry
01-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Crowell will not be re-signed. His surgery just prior to the season was a "I'm pissed at my not-renegotiated contract" ploy that brought the now infamous "nobody quits on me" response from Ralph. He could have been back in 5-6 weeks, but they abruptly IR'ed him to "show him" ( they carried a rookie, Fine, 8 weeks before he could play). We need a pass rushing DE so Kelsay can't do us any more damage, or a stud OLB if no DE warrants the #11 pick.

DraftBoy
01-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Johnson could be had later, imo especially after his bowl performance.

Wait for the workouts. His bowl performance actually wasnt that bad, he didnt get any huge negative reviews considering he had two plays total (read this, haven't reviewed the game yet) were he wasn't DT'd or chipped.

bigbub2352
01-05-2009, 11:38 AM
I got a bad feeling we r taking CB mike Jenkins OSU with the 11th pick

PECKERWOOD
01-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Crabtree would be way too hard to pass up at 11.

Orakpo and Johnson are the only DE's worth taking at 11.

Curry, Spikes and Maualuga would be worth taking at 11.

Mays and Jenkins would be good picks at 11.

To narrow it down to my top 5 for our 1st pick:

1.) Crabtree
2.) Curry
3.) Orakpo
4.) Johnson
5.) Jenkins

Some people don't like the idea of adding another DB, I personally don't think that it's a bad idea. Jabari Greer is a UFA this year and McGee is a UFA next year. I hope we don't intend on resigning McGee because he is going to be 30 and on the downside of his career. We clearly have to resign one of the two though, or drafting another CB has to be considered. Either that or you need to add another CB this year in FA. Dunta Robinson and DeAngelo Hall are going to be on the market, Robinson is a good CB coming off an ACL injury and Hall could probably be had pretty cheap.

DraftBoy
01-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Crabtree would be way too hard to pass up at 11.

Orakpo and Johnson are the only DE's worth taking at 11.

Curry, Spikes and Maualuga would be worth taking at 11.

Mays and Jenkins would be good picks at 11.

To narrow it down to my top 5 for our 1st pick:

1.) Crabtree
2.) Curry
3.) Orakpo
4.) Johnson
5.) Jenkins

Some people don't like the idea of adding another DB, I personally don't think that it's a bad idea. Jabari Greer is a UFA this year and McGee is a UFA next year. I hope we don't intend on resigning McGee because he is going to be 30 and on the downside of his career. We clearly have to resign one of the two though, or drafting another CB has to be considered. Either that or you need to add another CB this year in FA. Dunta Robinson and DeAngelo Hall are going to be on the market, Robinson is a good CB coming off an ACL injury and Hall could probably be had pretty cheap.

I dont feel as though Maualuga, Spikes, or Mays are really worth the 11th overall pick right now.

ddaryl
01-05-2009, 12:02 PM
DE and OLB are priorites. DE being the higher

Even if we manage to keep Crowell, OLB is still just as important.

X-Era
01-05-2009, 05:51 PM

How many CBs do we freaking need?

Its obviuously a guy that doesnt follow the Bills... at all!

topher180
01-05-2009, 08:37 PM

"SHORT DB's will fix everything"

Please note my edit above. Thank you.

PECKERWOOD
01-05-2009, 09:06 PM

Absolutely agree. Also, if one of the top OT's are available at 11 a suitor would be easy to find.

jimbohastle51
01-06-2009, 12:14 AM
if orakpo isnt there i hope that they go for one of the 2 stud LB's maulaluga or larinitis. hardy nor johnson are worth that high of a pick and maybin is staying at school.