PDA

View Full Version : Forked Thread: WHO IS TRADEABLE

ddaryl
01-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Forked from: Career Year (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=2787197)

I mentioned trading Schobel for a first rounder a few years ago. In hindsight, I was right.

What is ridiculously impossible about those trades?

The Bengals could use a T and alot of drafts I seen have them drafting one in the first round.

Also the Bucs could use a running back. Would Lynch not be worth the 19th pick to them?

I forked this thread form the Career years thread since it went off on a trade tangent

The Bills need to get better fast, and to make an ommlette you do need to break a few eggs.

I have heard the following trade ideas, which I beleive have some merit

Lynch / Jackson
You need 2 good backs to win in the league, but good backup RB's can be found... DO we trade one of these guys and shore up other areas

Peters
The guy is a world class douche bag IMO, but do we try to find a replacement and get what we can for the malcontent, or do we over pay him for mediocrity and make him happy knowing how hard it is to replace a good LT. I lean towards keeping Peters but I also feel he will make it impossible with his agent

Parrish
We can part with a guy like him, and there are teams that could use him. To me this one is a no brainer. We need a more effective WR on the roster and Parrish is more effective at returns for us.

Schobel, Kelsay, Denney...
Any of these guys could be offloaded, but I lean towards keeping Schobel since he is the best of the brood. Kelsay and Denny one or both can leave by any means possible.

Anyone else want to add to this because we do need to get creative in how we can make the team stronger in the necesssary areas

DraftBoy
01-05-2009, 11:56 AM
I can't think of any one on this team that is tradeable and by that I mean that we can afford to lose because we'll get adequate compensation back (Peters, Lynch) or that other teams will want (Kelsay, Denney, Schobel, Ellison).

Dr. Lecter
01-05-2009, 12:00 PM
Do not trade Jason Peters.

Do not. It would be incredibly stupid, unless the Browns also trade Joe Thomas to the Bills for similar compensation.

TacklingDummy
01-05-2009, 12:03 PM

Yeah, because the Bills played so poorly without him or when he was playing poorly.

If the Bills could get the Bengals 1st round pick or even 2nd round pick with CJ the Bills would be stupid not to.

DraftBoy
01-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Yeah, because the Bills played so poorly without him or when he was playing poorly.

Did you see Chambers get dominated in week 17 or was that just your usual choice vision in action?

Nighthawk
Trading Peters would be as stupid a move as bringing Jauron back.

TacklingDummy
Schobel, Denney, Kelsay have no trade value, imo.

TacklingDummy
01-05-2009, 12:07 PM
Did you see Chambers get dominated in week 17 or was that just your usual choice vision in action?

He was far from dominated. That's just your biased opinion to merit keeping Peters.

Did you see Peters get dominated this year on occassion or was that just your usual choice vision in action?

ddaryl
01-05-2009, 12:08 PM

Do not. It would be incredibly stupid, unless the Browns also trade Joe Thomas to the Bills for similar compensation.

OK...

Peters demands to be the highest paid LT in the game and wants the highest bonus ever

DO you trade him or cave? ...

My 1st preference is resigning him, but I see a much different reality in regards from Peters mouth and his agents' history

Peters and his agent are world class douche bags and I beleive they will make the Bills pay tremendously more then Peters worth to keep him. So there is the possibility that this happens and the Bills hands are forced by a player/Agent that may want out at all costs...

We cannot afford to play the holdout through training camp game with Peters again....

and Anyone who thinks Peters is happy here is under a dellusion. I truly believe that Peters and his agent will ask for so much we will have little choice. I wouldn't make Peters the #1 paid in anything unless it was tied to every incentive in the book.

TacklingDummy
01-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Peters and his agent are world class douche bags and I beleive they will make the Bills pay tremendously more then Peters worth to keep him. So there is the possibility that this happens and the Bills hands are forced by a player/Agent that may want out at all costs...

This is from one of the Mock Drafts I looked up today.

11. Buffalo Bills-Jason Smith, OT-Baylor

Bills’ fans have witnessed an amazing metamorphosis of Jason Peters from oversized college Tight End to Pro Bowl Left Tackle. Peters, however, witnessed this as well and would like to be compensated. He will price himself out of Buffalo and the fast-rising Smith will remedy that predicament.

User Manuel
01-05-2009, 12:14 PM
Lynch

Whitner

McGee

Peters

Josh Reed

Denney

Pozluszny

Ko Simpson

Dr. Lecter
01-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Trading Peters would be as stupid a move as bringing Jauron back.

It might actually be even more stupid.

shelby
01-05-2009, 12:18 PM
A huge no to Josh Reed and Lynch, thank you very much.

HHURRICANE
01-05-2009, 12:18 PM
Avoiding Tackling Dummy's ridiculous Peters for Chad Johnson trade and actually putting something together that makes sense:

1) Roscoe Parrish is a guy that I would like to see traded. He's one dimensional and useless as a WR. The problem is that we drafted him as a 3rd rounder so what are we going to get for him? Probably a 3rd rounder at best.

2) Fred Jackson is an intriguing trade. I actually think we could fetch a 1st rounder for him. Yes, this sound nuts but how many people are wishing that they didn't give away their 1st and 3rd for Michael Turner? He could start anywhere in this league. The problem is I think he's almost worth more than a first to the Bills.

3) If there is any way that Schobel doesn't need surgery, and he can pass a physical, I would take whatever we can get for him and be happpy that we could dump his salary and cap hit. I think Schobel's trade value is higher than if he had played because I really believe he would have ended up with 3-4 sacks this year.

ddaryl
01-05-2009, 12:22 PM

Bills’ fans have witnessed an amazing metamorphosis of Jason Peters from oversized college Tight End to Pro Bowl Left Tackle. Peters, however, witnessed this as well and would like to be compensated. He will price himself out of Buffalo and the fast-rising Smith will remedy that predicament.

I do not trust a rookie at LT for starting ... it is a huge gamble. Which is why I prefer to keep Peters. However I feel Peters and his agent are hell bent on being overpaid to stay in Buffalo

HHURRICANE
01-05-2009, 12:24 PM

1. Detroit
2. St. Louis
3. Kansas City
4. Seattle
5. Cleveland
6. Cincinnati
7. Oakland
8. Jacksonville
9. Green Bay
10. San Francisco

1) Do any of these teams need a Left Tackle? These are the only teams that would even make sense to trade to.

2) How much is it going to cost the Bills to sign 2 out of the first 11 picks?

3) Pat Williams all over again. How long did it take us to get an equivalent DT?

ddaryl
01-05-2009, 12:25 PM

again.. at what point does Peters demands become so outrageous that you would reconsider this thought.

I just fail to see a player who wants to stay in buffalo unless he is well overpaid to do so... I may be wrong, but my gut says he'll hold us hostage for much more money then he is worth

HHURRICANE
01-05-2009, 12:31 PM
again.. at what point does Peters demands become so outrageous that you would reconsider this thought.

I just fail to see a player who wants to stay in buffalo unless he is well overpaid to do so... I may be wrong, but my gut says he'll hold us hostage for much more money then he is worth

The Bills have some negotiating power here:

1) He's under contract, and I doubt it's going to look good if he sits out another camp and pre-season. Plus nobody wants a guy that misses a year of football which is why he'll keep playing and take a lesser deal.

2) He's under contract which means he's not getting paid as the top LT. Top 5 yes, #1 no.

3) With 2 years left he can play out his contract and get franchised.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks Peters is in the drivers seat here. Where the Bills were stupid was just not negotiating a new deal last year.

ddaryl
01-05-2009, 12:42 PM
^^^^

Because if we don't cave to his initial demands he holds out and costs the team again. Does he hold out till game 10 this time or returns out of shape and takes 2-4 games ot start to get back into it...

If he forces the Bills hands by threatening a hold out and demanding huge money the Bills will never pay then the Bills can trade him. Peters would gladly signed a reduced contract with another team IMO... He wants to get paid, but he wants out of Buffalo even more. A player who wants to stay doesn't play his hand in the media and hold out with 3 years left on a contract that was extended once the year before.

Not negotiating last year was based purely on the fact that the Bills are not going to negotiate with players when they have 3 years on their deal 1 year removed from an extension. Peters should have never recieved his extension that is where the Bills screwed up. They should have let him play the original contract nad negotiated with 1 year left then. The extension backfired on the Bills.

Forcing Peters to play on his contract knowing damn well we will se another holdout and another slow start from him is equally ******ed as it will just hinder the team from making a move they are going to be forced to make eventually but instead have to deal with a malcontent the whole time.

Mitchell55
01-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Denney, Kelsay, Royal, Ko, Spence Johnson.

PECKERWOOD
01-05-2009, 01:10 PM
I think it's much easier to list players that I wouldn't trade..

On offense: Peters, Walker, Edwards, Lynch

On defense: Stroud, Whitner, McKelvin

The rest are fair game.

I think that Lee Evans would make superb trade bait. Give me a 1st and a 3rd for him, he is yours.

For defense, Terrence McGee would be superb trade bait as well. Give me a 2nd round pick and an unproven prospect and you can have him. If we did trade Terrence, I would hope that it was to a team that has a good shot at the super bowl. I've always liked Terrence, a very humble, team first, type of player.

BTW, Shobel could land us a 2nd-3rd round pick if he agreed to restructure his contract for his new team. The only issue with trading Schobel is his cap.

Typ0
01-05-2009, 01:12 PM
every player is tradable even our most valueable ones...the trick is to get more value in return than they are worth.

PECKERWOOD
01-05-2009, 01:31 PM
Oops, for defense I wouldn't trade big daddy Kyle Williams.

1.) He is a good player that has a low salary.
2.) He looks like the Michelin man.

http://www.berrimilla.com/tng/uploaded_images/Michelinman-753287.jpghttp://assets.buffalobills.com/uploads/players/A7396E111B1843739C43BBE1D2358A51.jpg

Mitchell55
01-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Parrish for a 3rd
Kelsay for a 5th
Schoebel for a 3rd
Denney for a 6th
McGee for a 2nd

PECKERWOOD
01-05-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm copying this thread idea for BB.com, I'm interested in what the mainstream fans think of this topic! ~ Just a courtesy warning, not trying to take credit for the great thread idea.

HHURRICANE
01-05-2009, 02:24 PM
I'm copying this thread idea for BB.com, I'm interested in what the mainstream fans think of this topic! ~ Just a courtesy warning, not trying to take credit for the great thread idea.

Yeah, this was great thread ddaryl!!

X-Era
01-05-2009, 05:58 PM
Forked from: Career Year (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=2787197)

I forked this thread form the Career years thread since it went off on a trade tangent

The Bills need to get better fast, and to make an ommlette you do need to break a few eggs.

I have heard the following trade ideas, which I beleive have some merit

Lynch / Jackson
You need 2 good backs to win in the league, but good backup RB's can be found... DO we trade one of these guys and shore up other areas

Peters
The guy is a world class douche bag IMO, but do we try to find a replacement and get what we can for the malcontent, or do we over pay him for mediocrity and make him happy knowing how hard it is to replace a good LT. I lean towards keeping Peters but I also feel he will make it impossible with his agent

Parrish
We can part with a guy like him, and there are teams that could use him. To me this one is a no brainer. We need a more effective WR on the roster and Parrish is more effective at returns for us.

Schobel, Kelsay, Denney...
Any of these guys could be offloaded, but I lean towards keeping Schobel since he is the best of the brood. Kelsay and Denny one or both can leave by any means possible.

Anyone else want to add to this because we do need to get creative in how we can make the team stronger in the necesssary areas

Dont agree on Peters or Lynch, but ANY of our DE's could be traded in my mind.

Id rather keep what weve got thats good , and trade away guys that just arent cutting it like Schobel for one. I would trade his ass tomorrow. Id take the 1st 2nd rounder from anyone... hell probably even a 3rd.

Mr. Pink
01-05-2009, 06:08 PM
I love how people only agree on trading our scrubs...

Do you really think anyone is gonna trade a kicking tee for our garbage?

Seriously?

The only way you can make trades in the NFL is when you have quality.

Parrish for a 3rd? :rofl: Parrish might be worth a 6th...and even that is stretching it. Teams can get return men from UDFA. That's all Scoe is.

Schobel is worth a sweaty used jock strap at this point. He didn't play well 2 years ago and this past season when he did play he sucked and had a season ending injury early. Who's going to trade for that?

Kelsay and Denney combined wouldn't get a 5th...They both suck and make too much money. Trade value - less than zero

McGee for a 2nd? Again, he's a guy that would be a nickleback on most teams. But sure he's worth a 2nd...maybe more like a 5th.

The only "tradeable" assets this team has is Lynch, Jackson or Peters.

X-Era
01-05-2009, 06:22 PM

Seriously?

Parrish for a 3rd? :rofl: Parrish might be worth a 6th...and even that is stretching it. Teams can get return men from UDFA. That's all Scoe is.

Schobel is worth a sweaty used jock strap at this point. He didn't play well 2 years ago and this past season when he did play he sucked and had a season ending injury early. Who's going to trade for that?

Kelsay and Denney combined wouldn't get a 5th...They both suck and make too much money. Trade value - less than zero

McGee for a 2nd? Again, he's a guy that would be a nickleback on most teams. But sure he's worth a 2nd...maybe more like a 5th.

Schobel is a (two time?) pro-bowl DE. At least one team will think hes worth more than a sweaty sock. He is undersized and has been since college. Could he play much better in a different scheme? maybe... and hence he may have value to a team. He also would probably be better sutited to a team that has a true #1 DE. New Orleans makes a bit of sense to me, but only if they want several decent DE's like the Giants.

PECKERWOOD
01-05-2009, 08:45 PM

Seriously?

Yeah, and who would trade for Hester? He is only good at returning kicks/punts as well. Obviously Hester is a cut above the rest but Parrish is likely the 2nd best return man in the NFL, that counts for something - atleast a freaking 4th. Dante Hall was traded for a 5th round pick in '07 and yet you wont even say that Parrish is worth more than a 6th? What a dick.

Dude, whatever McGee is a very solid CB at the worst he is the #2 on most teams and the #1 CB on atleast a dozen teams.

If Schobel agreed to restructure his contract, he could be traded for a 2nd. How many DE's drafted in the 2nd round over the last 5 years are on par with Schobel's production? Who are you going to draft in the 2nd this year that could match Schobel at his best? NO ONE.

I agree on Kelsay but Denny could land a 5th. You can say what you want about Denney but he is affordable and he has nice production for a backup. Kelsay on the other hand, WTF was the FO thinking when they gave him that deal?

http://www.nfl.com/players/ryandenney/careerstats?id=DEN266810

Denney isn't as bad as most people think and I would never trade the guy. He has solid production and he is paid in peanuts.

OpIv37
01-05-2009, 08:51 PM
define "tradeable."

If you mean people who can be traded without hurting the team, only Lynch, Peters, Stroud and Moorman should be safe. Everyone else is expendable for the right price.

In terms of having value and the team actually being able to get anything in return, the list is EXTREMELY short.

Mitchell55
01-05-2009, 08:51 PM

Seriously?

Well based on your assessment McCargo is better than Kelsay, Denney, Parrish, Schobel, and McGee. You said that they are all worth over a 4th which is what we couldve got for McCargo.

PECKERWOOD
01-05-2009, 08:55 PM
Well based on your assessment McCargo is better than Kelsay, Denney, Parrish, Schobel, and McGee. You said that they are all worth over a 4th which is what we couldve got for McCargo.

He clearly has no idea what he is talking about. Some Bills fan under value alot of our players because they play for a small market. Who gives a ****? Last I checked alot of GOOD players played for Buffalo. We've been 7-9 the last 3 seasons, we clearly don't have Pro-Bowlers at every position but FFS we aren't the Detroit Lions, Cincinnati Bengals or Oakland Raiders! And even I could find players of value on those 3 crappy small market teams!

jpdex12
01-05-2009, 09:08 PM
^^^^

Because if we don't cave to his initial demands he holds out and costs the team again. Does he hold out till game 10 this time or returns out of shape and takes 2-4 games ot start to get back into it...

If he forces the Bills hands by threatening a hold out and demanding huge money the Bills will never pay then the Bills can trade him. Peters would gladly signed a reduced contract with another team IMO... He wants to get paid, but he wants out of Buffalo even more. A player who wants to stay doesn't play his hand in the media and hold out with 3 years left on a contract that was extended once the year before.

Not negotiating last year was based purely on the fact that the Bills are not going to negotiate with players when they have 3 years on their deal 1 year removed from an extension. Peters should have never recieved his extension that is where the Bills screwed up. They should have let him play the original contract nad negotiated with 1 year left then. The extension backfired on the Bills.

Forcing Peters to play on his contract knowing damn well we will se another holdout and another slow start from him is equally ******ed as it will just hinder the team from making a move they are going to be forced to make eventually but instead have to deal with a malcontent the whole time.

Where it all starts is that Peters was undrafted so Buffalo didn't spend anything to get him. He morphed out of his own effort and that of Mouse McNally. So basically it only cost McNally's salary and some rookie based salary with the exception of some coin for his now inferior contract.

If Buffalo trades him to avoid paying big bucks which we all know Ralph is likely to do then the Bills earn a profit off the deal because they will get more than what they started with. This is one reason why I believe he is traded in the off season and the other reason is the player and agent pricing themselves out of Buffalo's comfort zone.

Prepare to see Peters moved for a solid player and a draft pick. This fills a void by getting a veteran and also a draft pick that isn't in the first round. Ralph preferrably won't want to pay for two first rounders in one year knowing the recent failure and wasted money it cost him back in 2004.

This is my prediction. I don't want to lose Peters' talent even though he played worse this year but he is still solid at LT and it would help if he just stayed and played. I don't think it's going to happen!

jpdex12
^^^^

Where it all starts is that Peters was undrafted so Buffalo didn't spend anything to get him. He morphed out of his own effort and that of Mouse McNally. So basically it only cost McNally's salary and some rookie based salary with the exception of some coin for his now inferior contract.

If Buffalo trades him to avoid paying big bucks which we all know Ralph is likely to do then the Bills earn a profit off the deal because they will get more than what they started with. This is one reason why I believe he is traded in the off season and the other reason is the player and agent pricing themselves out of Buffalo's comfort zone.

Prepare to see Peters moved for a solid player and a draft pick. This fills a void by getting a veteran and also a draft pick that isn't in the first round. Ralph preferrably won't want to pay for two first rounders in one year knowing the recent failure and wasted money it cost him back in 2004.

This is my prediction. I don't want to lose Peters' talent even though he played worse this year but he is still solid at LT and it would help if he just stayed and played. I don't think it's going to happen! Imagine

jpdex12
^^^^

This is my prediction. I don't want to lose Peters' talent even though he played worse this year but he is still solid at LT and it would help if he just stayed and played. I don't think it's going to happen! Imagine a solid vet on the o-line and a 2nd or 3rd round pick?

Nighthawk
01-05-2009, 09:58 PM

Probably so, but bringing Jauron back was pretty stupid! :drama:

Dr. Lecter
01-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Probably so, but bringing Jauron back was pretty stupid! :drama:

My reasoning is this - they can always fix the Jauron mistake next year by firing him.

Trading Peters is permanent.

TacklingDummy
01-06-2009, 06:13 AM

:clap:

That's why I been saying Peters for Chad Johnson and the Bengals second round pick for weeks now. It upgrades the Bills WR position and the second round pick can be used on the TE or LB position.

The benefit of trading Peters is greater than keeping him.

X-Era
01-06-2009, 06:52 AM
:clap:

That's why I been saying Peters for Chad Johnson and the Bengals second round pick for weeks now. It upgrades the Bills WR position and the second round pick can be used on the TE or LB position.

The benefit of trading Peters is greater than keeping him.

Upgrading one player while downgrading another keeps us the same... it does NOT make us better. And a pick is just a pick, its not a proven player... ask James Hardy.

TacklingDummy
01-06-2009, 06:57 AM
And a pick is just a pick, its not a proven player... ask James Hardy.

Lets hope that pick turns out to be the next Patrick Willis or Tony Gonzalez.

Then in hindsight would trading Peters for Chad Johnson and the next TG or PW be worth it?

jamze132
01-06-2009, 07:06 AM
The Bills have some negotiating power here:

1) He's under contract, and I doubt it's going to look good if he sits out another camp and pre-season. Plus nobody wants a guy that misses a year of football which is why he'll keep playing and take a lesser deal.

It won't look good but 30 other teams will see that it was Buffalo that he was trying to get out of and he will be fine.

ddaryl
01-06-2009, 08:28 AM
In regards to Peters it all boils down to his demands IMO... My preference is to keep him, but If he is going to make it extremly hard to resign might as well shop him around.

However I would hope that the minimum the Bills accept in return in a top 1/2 1st rd pick and a player (starter) that upgrades a position of need on the team.

Pro-bowl LT's are very hard to come by, which is why we should try to resign him 1st. And pro-Bowl LTs in their prime are even harder to come by.

BY that logic any teams picking in the top 10 and not starting a 3 year rebuild project would prefer to sign a vet entering his prime over a rookie who will need developement time. Top 10 picks get paid quite a bit and are risky.

Mr. Pink
01-06-2009, 09:22 AM

McCargo is young and was showing promise at the end of last season. Therefor, yes, he HAD more trade value than...

Kelsay - a bum who makes too much money
Denney - a bum who makes too much money
Parrish - a one dimensional guy who contributes 3-4 plays a game, if that.
Schobel - a guy who's obviously on the downside of his career and coming off a serious injury.
McGee - an average corner who makes no plays and is best suited to be a nickleback.

Keyword is HAD on McCargo. Right now, he has less than zero value.

ddaryl
01-06-2009, 09:31 AM
McCargo is young and was showing promise at the end of last season. Therefor, yes, he HAD more trade value than...

Kelsay - a bum who makes too much money
Denney - a bum who makes too much money
Parrish - a one dimensional guy who contributes 3-4 plays a game, if that.
Schobel - a guy who's obviously on the downside of his career and coming off a serious injury.
McGee - an average corner who makes no plays and is best suited to be a nickleback.

Keyword is HAD on McCargo. Right now, he has less than zero value.

Kelsay and Denny are late day 2 pick at best. nobody will give up a day 1 pick for backup player, and their salaries kinda sour that possibility too. We're not getting rid of both IMO but one must go bye-bye in 2009

Parrish has return ability and can fit in as a #4 or #5 WR... May be worth a late 3rd to someone who has a 3rd to shop around and a big need for a return guy

McGee is a serviceable CB's and serviceable CB's can be had without trading in both FA and the draft.

Schobel is our best DE. I'd keep him and find his replacement.

McCargo might fetch a day 2 pick. But then again why not just draft a day 2 DT. McCargo would probably better be served by the Bills hoping this year he takes his head out of his ass and plays like a starting DT