PDA

View Full Version : Maybe coaching and talent is the isseu

trapezeus
01-05-2009, 05:19 PM
One thing i keep thinking about is how Jauron's stupidity cost us two games outright, Browns and Jets2. With the exact same roster and DC and OC, i think a capable coach squeaks out at least 2-4 more games. However, that still wouldn't have been enough to get us into the playoffs this year. 9-7 to 11-5 wouldn't have helped.

So there is something about the players. And i think with one legit DE of play making caliber and a young DE drafted early, the bills could be dominant on defense.

I also think the Bills are one Center and one TE/veteran welker-like receiver away from looking like an offense you wouldn't mind seeing on a weekly basis.

I hate Jauron as a coach as much as the next guy, but squeaking out wins to 11-5 would have most likley left us out of the playoffs. ask New England. So while the team isn't as bad as it seems, there is a player gap that needs to be addressed. if One Bills Drive blows it in free agency, for the few of us left hanging on this sinking ship will probably jump early in April.

Dujek
01-05-2009, 05:25 PM
Broncos?

We won that one...

trapezeus
01-05-2009, 05:33 PM
meant the browns. sorry

X-Era
01-05-2009, 05:46 PM
One thing i keep thinking about is how Jauron's stupidity cost us two games outright, Browns and Jets2. With the exact same roster and DC and OC, i think a capable coach squeaks out at least 2-4 more games. However, that still wouldn't have been enough to get us into the playoffs this year. 9-7 to 11-5 wouldn't have helped.

So there is something about the players. And i think with one legit DE of play making caliber and a young DE drafted early, the bills could be dominant on defense.

I also think the Bills are one Center and one TE/veteran welker-like receiver away from looking like an offense you wouldn't mind seeing on a weekly basis.

I hate Jauron as a coach as much as the next guy, but squeaking out wins to 11-5 would have most likley left us out of the playoffs. ask New England. So while the team isn't as bad as it seems, there is a player gap that needs to be addressed. if One Bills Drive blows it in free agency, for the few of us left hanging on this sinking ship will probably jump early in April.

Hmmm. Agree and disagree

1) The defense needs help, you just cant win lots of games without QB pressure. With a solid pass rush everything gets easier. We also have a serious problem on 3rd downs. It seems like our seems in the defense are always open. I watched Indy successfully cover them up by rolling the CB over for the 1st 5-10 yards and then the S picked it up. I think our issue is that our CB's play 10 yards off the ball and then stay locked on to the WR's. We then have no one covering the short seems or the middle when we rush everyone on 3rd downs.

2) I almost want to agree on Offense. I cant get aroundhow bad Trent played for that stretch of 4 games... it was huge. But a true upgrade at C is a big step in the right direction. I have to seriously wonder if we dont trade Peters because we just wont pay him. If that happens, even fi we did add a good C, we still are no better off... and the offense will struggle IMO. I really do think that we may just get smart and get a playmaking TE in this draft. Welker type? sure that would be nice... but isnt that what Parrish is supposed to be? Im a fan of adding a playmaking WR for sure. It just needs to be a true playmaker.

3) I have said over and over that we dont have good enough backups. Ellison should be fighting for a roster spot, not our 1st OLB if we have an injury. The same for Digi, Corto, Wendling, and Kirk Chambers. I know people like Kirk, but he palyed very poorly in the Pats game and has little to no upside. Thats just how I feel. Id like guys that are more solid as our backups. What Whittle was supposed to be.

4) I agree that better coaching which includes all that that entails such as gameday and clock management buys us another 2 wins. I agree that the rest come from better talent on the field.

Thats my take.

Philagape
01-05-2009, 06:20 PM
B

O

T

H

:banghead:

acehole
01-05-2009, 06:22 PM
Billicheck had 6 losing seasons as coach before he got it.....

I suppose there is hope for dick...

Yasgur's Farm
01-05-2009, 06:27 PM

I hate Jauron as a coach as much as the next guy, but squeaking out wins to 11-5 would have most likley left us out of the playoffs. ask New England. So while the team isn't as bad as it seems, there is a player gap that needs to be addressed. if One Bills Drive blows it in free agency, for the few of us left hanging on this sinking ship will probably jump early in April.Unless we had 3 extra wins vs Dolphins, Jets and Pats... Then we take the division!!

Yasgur's Farm
01-05-2009, 06:30 PM
In THIS offseason... If we come up with...

(1) Starting DE
(1) Starting OLB
(1) Starting C

We make the playoffs inspite of DJ!!

X-Era
01-05-2009, 07:08 PM
In THIS offseason... If we come up with...

(1) Starting DE
(1) Starting OLB
(1) Starting C

We make the playoffs inspite of DJ!!

I can really see that.

PECKERWOOD
01-05-2009, 07:19 PM
I HAVE AN "ISSEU" WITH YOUR SPELLING.

Typ0
01-05-2009, 07:28 PM
any time there is a loss there is going to be places to point at coaches where they should have coached better and players where they should have played better. The more losing there is the more pointing...

OpIv37
01-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Billicheck had 6 losing seasons as coach before he got it.....

I suppose there is hope for dick...

once again, using the exception to prove the rule.

How many coaches had 6 losing seasons before becoming legendary, vs how many coaches had 6 losing seasons to end up career losers?

justasportsfan
01-06-2009, 10:11 AM
It would have left us out because our coach can't hang with the other coaches in the AFCE to begin with because his annointed OC is busy copying plays from other teams as the season goes along or didn't practice for what the opponent is showing them on gameday.

madness
01-06-2009, 10:28 AM
once again, using the exception to prove the rule.

How many coaches had 6 losing seasons before becoming legendary, vs how many coaches had 6 losing seasons to end up career losers?

It's actually a bigger list than you think if you go through the history of the league. Pretty much every good coach that started out on a crappy team with a crappy front office. Good coaching can't overcome poor talent with the inability to get better talent.

justasportsfan
01-06-2009, 10:32 AM
I'm not saying we have great talent but we have enough talent to NOT go 0-6 in the division or at least beat teams like the browns. Thanks to coaching, our talent is made to look worse than it is.

lukabrossi
01-06-2009, 10:44 AM
.....fire everybody.

madness
01-06-2009, 10:51 AM
I'm not saying we have great talent but we have enough talent to NOT go 0-6 in the division or at least beat teams like the browns. Thanks to coaching, our talent is made to look worse than it is.

The article on the front page said it all. The Bills do not have enough game changers (http://www.13wham.com/content/sports/local/story/Bills-Do-Not-Have-Game-Changers/YfvbNAiPg0eRwKB-OCPzoQ.cspx). We need players that can step up and change the momentum of the game. We have very few and a team full of role players. That's not enough talent to put a team over the top.

ddaryl
01-06-2009, 11:27 AM
It's easily both... Jauron will never win a SB ever in his life. He'll get outmatched in the wits department.

Upgrading players may will get us wins to make the playoffs, but as soon as we get there Jauron will get us out and on the golf course pretty quickly

HHURRICANE
01-06-2009, 11:36 AM
The article on the front page said it all. The Bills do not have enough game changers (http://www.13wham.com/content/sports/local/story/Bills-Do-Not-Have-Game-Changers/YfvbNAiPg0eRwKB-OCPzoQ.cspx). We need players that can step up and change the momentum of the game. We have very few and a team full of role players. That's not enough talent to put a team over the top.

I said this in a thread 2 years ago and that atricle explains it perfectly. There are no true Superstars on this team.

We have a bunch of fan favorite lunch pail players but we need players that coaches have to gamelpan for.

Bill Bellichek wasn't worried about Evans at all this year. When asked who worried him it was Josh Reed.

That's how irrelevant our players are.

Poz is a disappointment espeically consideing another LBs were taken later and have played better.

trapezeus
01-06-2009, 11:49 AM
the tough thing about the belichick and jauron comparison is that Belichick struggled as a young coach on a bad team....Jauron is an older guy. it's very unlikely that he'll just change now. the guy lacks competitive fire. He isn't a "win at all costs" during the game. I'm not asking for him to sign talented felons. I am asking, however, that if we are under the 2 minute warning with timeouts in the first half that he attempt to score.

He lacks that passion for taking all that is available to him.

madness
01-06-2009, 11:56 AM
I said this in a thread 2 years ago and that atricle explains it perfectly. There are no true Superstars on this team.

We have a bunch of fan favorite lunch pail players but we need players that coaches have to gamelpan for.

Bill Bellichek wasn't worried about Evans at all this year. When asked who worried him it was Josh Reed.

That's how irrelevant our players are.

Poz is a disappointment espeically consideing another LBs were taken later and have played better.

They may have played better but they also have an extra year on him and Poz still had a better year statistically and fundamentally then every LB drafted after him. He also had 23 tackles for a gain of 2 yards or less this year. Bailing out Ellison on a regular basis also should be factored into his play. :D

Poz's biggest impact, though, goes unnoticed by most fans. His on-field adjustments could be compared to the likes of a seasoned veteran. He was very good at making sure our guys were in the right place and even better audibling out of bad plays. I was very impressed with this aspect of his game and with a couple of seasons under his belt, I feel he will become more outspoken and this defense will really start to reflect his personality just like it did at Penn State. Combine that with some more talent and we'll be looking at a no-nonsense defense that likes to hit offenses straight in the mouth. By "straight in the mouth" I mean offenses right now look at our D and say "try and stop us". Poz's defense will instead be "go ahead and try to move the ball forward".

As much as I originally wanted him on the outside, he's starting to show that he's a MLB through and through.

justasportsfan
01-06-2009, 01:00 PM

We may not have game changers but we have above average players who could be game changers witht he right coaching staff.

We just don't have coaches who know how to utilize our talent. HOw many times have we gotten burned by dropping our DE"s to cover faster players? Talk about putting players in a situation to fail. No one can tell me that Lynch is less of a rb than Sproles .

lukabrossi
01-06-2009, 01:22 PM
How do you win games when your coach doesn't put you in the position to win them. He's a waste of skin and should be run outta town.

billogic99
01-07-2009, 12:36 PM

I think the Oline is further away than one Lineman! The WR group is just an enigma.....what the hell is it?? Evans has the tools to be a number one, so why hasn't he proven it this far into his career? So far he's been at best a #2. Every year I expect the offense to breakout and it doesn't. You can't blame it all on playcalling, you'd think a player with Evans ability can turn a crossing pattern or curl route into a few TD's. The Running game is awesome flat out scary, but between Edwards injuries and mental issues and JP's...whatever you call it, it's really hard to get the Running and passing to work together.

Than there's the Oline, could you imagne Lynch and Jackson running behind the Line in Atlanta?? Wow, over 1000 each GUARANTEED!!! The Bills need a new OC one who's imaginative and not affraid to take chances, they need a new C, G and T on the right side, they need a true #1 WO and a TE that will run people over. That IMO is what will make the offense worth watching on a weekly basis.

Now don't even get me started on the defense!!

Jan Reimers
01-07-2009, 02:59 PM
But since we have minimal talent at several key positions, and abominable coaching, it is really an ownership/front office issue.

X-Era
01-07-2009, 03:49 PM
We may not have game changers but we have above average players who could be game changers witht he right coaching staff.

We just don't have coaches who know how to utilize our talent. HOw many times have we gotten burned by dropping our DE"s to cover faster players? Talk about putting players in a situation to fail. No one can tell me that Lynch is less of a rb than Sproles .

Better yet, how many times do we get burned by rushing all our LB's and leaving the middle and seems open on 3rd down?

Id love to see our 3rd down stoppage stat, we have to be league worst or close.