PDA

View Full Version : STOP talking about trading Jason Peters

OpIv37
01-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Top-tier left tackles don't grow on trees.

One of the main reasons why the Bills have been so bad lately is because they rarely find top tier talent, and when they do, they let it go (see Pat Williams).

Peters, Lynch, Moorman, Stroud, Evans- these guys should be retained at all costs. Anyone else is expendable.

the ONLY way the Bills should even entertain offers on Peters is if someone is dumb enough to do a Herschel Walker-type trade.

SquishDaFish
01-05-2009, 09:32 PM
I agree OP

evol4276
01-05-2009, 09:33 PM
best post in nearly a month on this board

Jaybird
01-05-2009, 09:35 PM
YA MAN!!!!!!

so true.... how often do you see a top LT get traded or on the block.......NEVER

that is why the fins drafting jake long was a smart move

billsfanone
01-05-2009, 09:38 PM
:bf1:

OP is the voice of reason? :shocked:

Mitchell55
01-05-2009, 09:50 PM
It took us 15 years to get someone like him, why trade him now?

OpIv37
01-05-2009, 09:55 PM
It took us 15 years to get someone like him, why trade him now?

So Ralph doesn't have to pay him. That's the only reason to trade him.

Nighthawk
01-05-2009, 09:56 PM
I agree and have been saying it since this ridiculous talk of trading him came up. It's absolutely ignorant to think we would be able to get somebody of his talent right away.

Dr. Lecter
01-05-2009, 10:12 PM
But, but, but Chambers played well against Seattle and Peters missed a block against the Rams!

Therefore Chambers is better!!!!

I have said it before - Getting rid of Peters would be the dumbest thing this franchise has done since I have watched them and that covers a ton of ground.

PECKERWOOD
01-05-2009, 10:37 PM

One of the main reasons why the Bills have been so bad lately is because they rarely find top tier talent, and when they do, they let it go (see Pat Williams).

Peters, Lynch, Moorman, Stroud, Evans- these guys should be retained at all costs. Anyone else is expendable.

the ONLY way the Bills should even entertain offers on Peters is if someone is dumb enough to do a Herschel Walker-type trade.

Evans is the most overrated player to suit up for Buffalo since Peerless Price. Both one trick ponies, similar stats.. Actually, PP had better stats in his first 5 seasons.

Sorry, it's just how I feel. I don't give a **** about Evans, he disappears to much.. Good for the ocassional big play, that's about it.

Peters, give me the right offer and I will trade him. I'm talking a 1st, 2nd, 3rd - something to that effect.

I understand that I'm a minority here.. How could you ever trade Lee?!! *gasp*

Well we traded PP and we got the best of the Falcons and the Lions traded Roy and I'm pretty sure that they kicked Dallas' ass on that trade.. Give me a 1st and a 3rd for Lee.

OpIv37
01-05-2009, 10:55 PM
Evans is the most overrated player to suit up for Buffalo since Peerless Price. Both one trick ponies, similar stats.. Actually, PP had better stats in his first 5 seasons.

Sorry, it's just how I feel. I don't give a **** about Evans, he disappears to much.. Good for the ocassional big play, that's about it.

Peters, give me the right offer and I will trade him. I'm talking a 1st, 2nd, 3rd - something to that effect.

I understand that I'm a minority here.. How could you ever trade Lee?!! *gasp*

Well we traded PP and we got the best of the Falcons and the Lions traded Roy and I'm pretty sure that they kicked Dallas' ass on that trade.. Give me a 1st and a 3rd for Lee.

I don't entirely disagree- Lee is overrated. And I'm not a hater- the only current Bills jersey I have is Evans. However, he's still by far the best receiver we have, and without him, our WR corps as a whole goes from average to terrible.

I still say Lee is the real deal, the problem is that he doesn't have anyone to take the pressure off. Until we get a better WR, we have to cling to Lee at all possible costs.

PECKERWOOD
01-05-2009, 10:57 PM
I don't entirely disagree- Lee is overrated. And I'm not a hater- the only current Bills jersey I have is Evans. However, he's still by far the best receiver we have, and without him, our WR corps as a whole goes from average to terrible.

I still say Lee is the real deal, the problem is that he doesn't have anyone to take the pressure off. Until we get a better WR, we have to cling to Lee at all possible costs.

I don't entirely disagree, he is overrated but he is the best we got!!

---

Ralph is cheap, but atleast we got a team!!

The bottom line is, I don't got enough fingers and toes to count all the WR's that I would rather have over Lee.

Dr. Lecter
01-05-2009, 10:57 PM
Comparing their numbers really is not fair.

Evans has never had a WR like Moulds to attract coverage and a QB like Bledsoe to chuck him the ball.

So if the numbers are even, then Evans is doing much better base don resources available.

PECKERWOOD
01-05-2009, 11:00 PM
Comparing their numbers really is not fair.

Evans has never had a WR like Moulds to attract coverage and a QB like Bledsoe to chuck him the ball.

So if the numbers are even, then Evans is doing much better base don resources available.

Moulds was the #1, he played like it. Moulds didn't need some scrub to take pressure off of him, he caught the damn ball anyways, regardless of who was throwing the ball to him. If Moulds had Kelly or Marino throwing him the ball, he would have been in the HOF, that's the God honest truth. People here got it all wrong. The #2 doesn't make the #1, it's the #1 who makes the #2 what he is. Without Moulds, Price did dick!

Tatonka
01-05-2009, 11:26 PM
peters didnt play like an elite tackle that is hard to find. that is the reason that the whole ****ing conversation and 889890 threads have been started about him. if he didnt suck ass this year, this would not even been discussed, but the fact is that he did suck this year for a large chunks throughout.

topher180
01-05-2009, 11:45 PM

So which is it? A ridiculous trade is still a trade. What you are really saying is, he's replaceable if the Bills get what YOU think they should for him. Right?

PECKERWOOD
01-05-2009, 11:47 PM
So which is it? A ridiculous trade is still a trade. What you are really saying is, he's replaceable if the Bills get what YOU think they should for him. Right?

EXACTLY!

1st, 2nd, 3rd --- Good enough for me!

topher180
01-05-2009, 11:55 PM
EXACTLY!

1st, 2nd, 3rd --- Good enough for me!

I'm not really sure where I am on this topic yet, I'm just asking him what he really means. I do agree with his point about LTs not growing on trees.

PECKERWOOD
01-05-2009, 11:58 PM
I'm not really sure where I am on this topic yet, I'm just asking him what he really means. I do agree with his point about LTs not growing on trees.

Ha ha ha, but I would argue that 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks don't grow on trees either... That's just me tho.

jimbohastle51
01-06-2009, 12:07 AM

agreed, there is no way it is happening, i am sorry bills fans that dont like him but the on this one the front office will fold and will pay him and then he will drop back into the shadow where he was before he held out and the only time you will see him is at a pro bowl or on sundays as a blocking machine.

clumping platelets
01-06-2009, 02:23 AM
It's a disservice to the organization to NOT consider the possibility of trading Peters if the return was adequate

I wouldn't summarily dismiss an offer of Jason Witten for Jason Peters

BlackMetalNinja
01-06-2009, 06:31 AM
As much as I hate the crap Peters pulled and how lousy he played in a handful of games this season, he's far and away the most talented player on the offensive line, in the most critical position as well. Trading him would be foolish at best.

X-Era
01-06-2009, 06:44 AM

Evans problem is that his game doesnt work well with a young QB and not enough of a run game.

You need a solid run game to open up the long ball, and you need a QB who has enough time and has the arm strength to get it there. Trent has the arm strength, but the rest has been a sore spot.

Hes more like Moss than Moulds.

Possession receivers can flourish in any system because they make the tough catches in traffic. Evans has done that too, but his bread and butter is getting open deep and having great hands. The whole purpose of adding Hardy was to give us that possession receiver who demands coverage, we never got that out of him.

Besides, with a consistent run game and Trent having the extra second or so to throw the ball deep, you have a proven scoring threat in Lee. Without it, you have just a solid #1 WR who gets average yards.

We took the same personnel into the bulk of the snaps this year, why did we expect Evans to have a break out year or even do better than last?

He needs a true #2 to complement him!

TacklingDummy
01-06-2009, 06:52 AM
He needs a true #2 to complement him!

Or maybe a true #1 to complement him.

X-Era
01-06-2009, 06:55 AM
Or maybe a true #1 to complement him.

Chads not even the true #1 on HIS team anymore.

Upgrading one player while downgrading another keeps us the same... it does NOT make us better. And a pick is just a pick, its not a proven player... ask James Hardy.

Skip Chad, just sign Houshmazilly.

Peters and Housh > Chad and a pick

jamze132
01-06-2009, 07:09 AM
best post in nearly a month on this board
I don't know, I just read a post about midgets and ****...

User Manuel
01-06-2009, 07:19 AM
Trading Peters makes sense only in the context of the return we get for him. Peter for a #1 is probably not a good deal.

Peters for 2 #1 picks and say, a quality young WR or a couple of lower picks could be great.

What would you say if the Redskins offered us a 2 firsts and Devin Thomas for Peters? I would do it in a heartbeat.

It is all relative to the return.

Dr. Lecter
01-06-2009, 07:22 AM
It's a disservice to the organization to NOT consider the possibility of trading Peters if the return was adequate

I wouldn't summarily dismiss an offer of Jason Witten for Jason Peters

Sure if you can great value for him, do it.

Witten is not close to enough value though.

Patti120
01-06-2009, 07:23 AM
So Ralph doesn't have to pay him. That's the only reason to trade him.

Sad but true! Lets hope the alzheimers kicks in and Ralph actually starts making some sound football decisions.

TacklingDummy
01-06-2009, 07:35 AM
Chads not even the true #1 on HIS team anymore.

And yet Chad had 1 more TD (4) and 10 (53) less receptions than what Evans did in 3 less games and having a worse QB situation to deal with than what Evans had.

By the way TJ Housmandzadeh had 20 fewer receptions, 239 fewer yards, and 8 fewer touchdowns than what he had a year ago.

I think its safe to say that TJ/CJ decline can be blamed on the QB mess in Cincinatti.

Adding Chad opens up the Bills passing game and their running game. Teams won't be able to key on Evans anymore. It also backs the safties up giving Jackson more room to run.

mysticsoto
01-06-2009, 07:35 AM
Moulds was the #1, he played like it. Moulds didn't need some scrub to take pressure off of him, he caught the damn ball anyways, regardless of who was throwing the ball to him. If Moulds had Kelly or Marino throwing him the ball, he would have been in the HOF, that's the God honest truth. People here got it all wrong. The #2 doesn't make the #1, it's the #1 who makes the #2 what he is. Without Moulds, Price did dick!

Moulds and Evans have completely different styles. Moulds was 6'2" and could outjump your average CB and S for a ball. Evans has speed and can outrun your average CB/S. The problem is, Trent's dink and dunk style is not conducive to exploiting Evans' talents - which is why Evans initially preferred JP who will sit there and wait forever to try and throw him the long ball. Unfortunately, those plays require lots of time to develop and the D gets to JP before he can do something since he can't seem to "feel" them...but with JP, Evans numbers are up quite a bit - it's just a matter of style...no need to bash Evans for having a style that is not suitable for our offense. Bash the OC or Jauron instead!

Night Train
01-06-2009, 08:09 AM
Agree completely.

Mr. Pink
01-06-2009, 09:39 AM
So should we cave to whatever demands his agent and Peters himself have?

Is it more foolish to trade Peters for Witten or Ocho and a pick or something else...

Or is it more foolish to give Peters around 9 million a year or more?

HHURRICANE
01-06-2009, 09:54 AM
How much better for the whole organization had the Bills kept Pat Williams and Antoine Winfield? Do you realzie that we are on our 3rd replacements for both players? How many drafts and FAs could have been used for other key positions?

If this guy was a free agent we wouldn't even be sniffing this guy.

Sorry, but we have our RT, RG, LG all under long term deals and having Peters there makes sense.

It would be nice to have a consisitant line for the next 5 years. This is how champions are made.

When was the last time we made the playoffs with inconsistant o-line play?

Lone Stranger
01-06-2009, 10:09 AM
I believe that Peters has the ability to be a periennial Pro-Bowler and that we should offer him a contract commensurate with that fact. Some incentives should be in that contract geared to his performance or lack thereof; i.e. sacks.

justasportsfan
01-06-2009, 10:14 AM

If we trade Peters them some people here will be saying, it's not the coaches, it's the lack talent.

User Manuel
01-06-2009, 11:00 AM
If we trade Peters them some people here will be saying, it's not the coaches, it's the lack talent.

Ralph wilson said that already and he confirmed it with the keeping of Jauron. It only makes sense if we get the big return

Michael82
01-06-2009, 11:01 AM
But, but, but Chambers played well against Seattle and Peters missed a block against the Rams!

I have said it before - Getting rid of Peters would be the dumbest thing this franchise has done since I have watched them and that covers a ton of ground.
Nothing is dumber than Donahoe getting rid of Big Pat Williams. :shakeno:

billsfanone
01-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Nothing is dumber than Donahoe getting rid of Big Pat Williams. :shakeno:

Nothing?

PECKERWOOD
01-06-2009, 12:24 PM
How much better for the whole organization had the Bills kept Pat Williams and Antoine Winfield? Do you realzie that we are on our 3rd replacements for both players? How many drafts and FAs could have been used for other key positions?

If this guy was a free agent we wouldn't even be sniffing this guy.

Sorry, but we have our RT, RG, LG all under long term deals and having Peters there makes sense.

It would be nice to have a consisitant line for the next 5 years. This is how champions are made.

When was the last time we made the playoffs with inconsistant o-line play?

Didn't we let those 2 leave without any compensation though? If a team is willing to give up multiple 1st day picks for either Peters or Evans, I'm down. BTW, fat Pat was probably one of my favorite Bills players of all time. Peters though.. He deserves a raise but the way he went about his business was just so unprofessional. The first half of the season he looked like absolute dog ****. 1st, 2nd this year and a 3rd round pick for him next year.. Buh bye Jason! Same goes for Lee. Then right after that I would go out and grab a WR who actually fits the system, somebody proven like Houshmandzadeh who is looking for a payday.

justasportsfan
01-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Ralph wilson said that already and he confirmed it with the keeping of Jauron. It only makes sense if we get the big return

you trust our FO and coaching staff to know what a big return is? I don't. Peters is already a great player in this system. No matter who we bring in is gonna be a turd under this coaching staff. Might as well keep what's already proven.

Nighthawk
01-06-2009, 12:47 PM

I agree 100%! And you guys wonder why I lose my mind when reading some of these posts...they are so ridiculous! We have an excellent LT, why create another hole to fill??? Not a logical concept!

HHURRICANE
01-06-2009, 12:51 PM
Didn't we let those 2 leave without any compensation though? If a team is willing to give up multiple 1st day picks for either Peters or Evans, I'm down. BTW, fat Pat was probably one of my favorite Bills players of all time. Peters though.. He deserves a raise but the way he went about his business was just so unprofessional. The first half of the season he looked like absolute dog ****. 1st, 2nd this year and a 3rd round pick for him next year.. Buh bye Jason! Same goes for Lee. Then right after that I would go out and grab a WR who actually fits the system, somebody proven like Houshmandzadeh who is looking for a payday.

There is no way you can get equal compensation for Peters.

Is Peters worth more than McKlevin, Hardy and Ellis? Absolutely.

So there is your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, that no team is giving you anyway.

Tatonka
01-06-2009, 12:53 PM
go ahead and give peters a 9 mill a year deal.. you think he played like a piece of **** this year.. wait till he gets his money.. he strikes me as the type that will be happy he got paid and not care that he is playing like garbage. hell, this year had the potential to make him a ton of money.. all he had to do is just play like the "elite" tackle that he said he was.. and what did he do? he gave up a ton of sacks, nearly got our qb killed, made excuses for poor play and talked about how good he is.. and just generally didnt seem to give a ****.

**** peters. trade him for whatever you can get.

justasportsfan
01-06-2009, 01:03 PM
go ahead and give peters a 9 mill a year deal.. you think he played like a piece of **** this year.. wait till he gets his money.. he strikes me as the type that will be happy he got paid and not care that he is playing like garbage. hell, this year had the potential to make him a ton of money.. all he had to do is just play like the "elite" tackle that he said he was.. and what did he do? he gave up a ton of sacks, nearly got our qb killed, made excuses for poor play and talked about how good he is.. and just generally didnt seem to give a ****.

**** peters. trade him for whatever you can get.

I'd be pissed too if I'm being paid below average LT money and guys like DOckery and Walker and especially KELSAY are being paid way more after I made probowl for the 2nd straight season in a more important position I wasn't playing in when they redid my contract and after I've been told they'd work on my new contract. We should learn from the PAt Williams mistake.

OpIv37
01-06-2009, 04:50 PM

no, I'm saying he should be traded unless someone offers us so much for the trade that NOT trading him becomes dumber than trading him. Trading him for a first or second round pick would be just plain stupid. But, if some idiot team was to offer two #1's, a #2 and a backup QB, well, then NOT taking that trade would be stupid.

And since the NFL isn't Madden '09 and no team is dumb enough to actually DO that, then he shouldn't be traded.

Tatonka
01-06-2009, 04:58 PM
I'd be pissed too if I'm being paid below average LT money and guys like DOckery and Walker and especially KELSAY are being paid way more after I made probowl for the 2nd straight season in a more important position I wasn't playing in when they redid my contract and after I've been told they'd work on my new contract. We should learn from the PAt Williams mistake.

i understand him being pissed, but he needed to play well to prove his point. he didnt. and if im the bills, i make him play another year on the current deal or trade him if he acts like a dbag, which he will.

Lone Stranger
01-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Some of you are overlooking a very important factor: who is going to replace Peters. We have enough problems with the O-line without getting rid of a key member. Games are won and lost in the trenches not by grabbing an exotic receiver.