PDA

View Full Version : vet QB backup idea?

jimbohastle51
01-06-2009, 01:49 AM
so i was going through some of the vet QB's available in free agency this year and was taking into consideration that we will NOT be spending big money on one and saw a couple names i really liked and thought i would give them to you along with the one that stood out the most and see what you guys think? keep in mind these are guys that could actually be signed by the bills and are not thinking there coming in to take over trents job, because dick nor ralph will let that happen, at least not this year (ralph has even been quoted as saying he likes trent ALOT).... NO jeff garcia's, kerry collins, rex grossmans, or kyle bollers here, those are guys that either want to start or are young and still want a second chance (not that there is anything wrong with that but this off season it aint happening in buffalo).

1)tim rattay - has over 20 NFL starts and played in over 40 games he is an accurate QB, just no cannon for an arm and also wouldnt break the bank and he does have a career 81.9 rating (not bad for vet league minimum).

2)byron leftwhich- he will probably want a starting gig or at least to compete for one but man he really has looked good this year the chances hes had to play with pit and he was a pretty good starter for a number of years, the reason he is here is because when him and culpepper both went to work out for pit he was the one that completely understood what his job would be there and had no problem with the backup role (all i am saying is after we fill all our needs and he is still around he would come in not ***** about playing time and go to work)

3)patrick ramsey- was a great college QB and just didnt transition to the NFL as a starter, but he does have some nice stuff and we could have much worse behind trent, as well as he has played in the AFC east and knows the division (couple years with the jets)

ok here is my favorite and for a number of reasons...

charlie batch- not flashy and not a stud but the guy can win games, he can play in the snow and has a nack for making a play when nothing is there. he was above average for a few years in detroit and he has been pits insurance policy basically every year that big ben has been there until this year when he got injured. not only would he be a solid backup but since he has had some degree of success and knows the grind of the position he would be great in film study with trent, as well as if trent went down in the middle of december i wouldnt be like "damn here goes the game", actually i would think "well lets see if batch has something left" or "he has come of the bench more than once in pittsburgh and led them to a win so lets go" not too mention then guy is in his mid 30's and isnt going to ask for much more than a 1 or 2 year deal close or just above the vet league minimum and he would be worth every penny, also from pit so he would still be close to home which i would think is very important to a guy getting close to the end of his career.

clumping platelets
01-06-2009, 02:20 AM
We need a vet backup that understands his role that he is indeed only the backup and must also be able to teach Trent

I do not like any of those guys in this role

Todd Collins, Gus Frerotte, or Jeff Garcia

shelby
01-06-2009, 04:26 AM
i can't see Garcia happy in a backup role

clumping platelets
01-06-2009, 04:32 AM
I concur but that's his likely role in the future

Historian
01-06-2009, 04:39 AM
How about getting a pass rush, and leving the QB tutoring to the Pill?

clumping platelets
01-06-2009, 04:47 AM
Pass rush >>>>>> all other problems combined

Crazygoo
01-06-2009, 05:03 AM
[quote=

Todd Collins, Gus Frerotte, or Jeff Garcia[/quote]

Todd Collins?? your kidding i hope

Oaf
01-06-2009, 05:54 AM
Todd Collins? woah.

Both Rattay and Batch sound really good to me, Jimbo.

Typ0
01-06-2009, 06:01 AM
I disagree wholeheartedly with this philosophy of making sure the guy we bring in can't actually play QB because it might hurt TE. Screw that. Bring in Jeff Garcia and if he's better than TE then let Garcia have the starting job. We can't afford to screw around with this position any more and should have the best play from it we can get. If it means TE takes second for a year or two while he learns that's an opportunity not a bad thing!

User Manuel
01-06-2009, 06:56 AM
Ryan Fitzpatrick - He has started, he will be cheap and he has shown the ability to move an offense.

acehole
01-06-2009, 08:19 AM
I was looking at Tim Rattay last year.

Seems like a good fit for what we are doing here....

Dont know much else about him and his current mind state...

so i was going through some of the vet QB's available in free agency this year and was taking into consideration that we will NOT be spending big money on one and saw a couple names i really liked and thought i would give them to you along with the one that stood out the most and see what you guys think? keep in mind these are guys that could actually be signed by the bills and are not thinking there coming in to take over trents job, because dick nor ralph will let that happen, at least not this year (ralph has even been quoted as saying he likes trent ALOT).... NO jeff garcia's, kerry collins, rex grossmans, or kyle bollers here, those are guys that either want to start or are young and still want a second chance (not that there is anything wrong with that but this off season it aint happening in buffalo).

1)tim rattay - has over 20 NFL starts and played in over 40 games he is an accurate QB, just no cannon for an arm and also wouldnt break the bank and he does have a career 81.9 rating (not bad for vet league minimum).

2)byron leftwhich- he will probably want a starting gig or at least to compete for one but man he really has looked good this year the chances hes had to play with pit and he was a pretty good starter for a number of years, the reason he is here is because when him and culpepper both went to work out for pit he was the one that completely understood what his job would be there and had no problem with the backup role (all i am saying is after we fill all our needs and he is still around he would come in not ***** about playing time and go to work)

3)patrick ramsey- was a great college QB and just didnt transition to the NFL as a starter, but he does have some nice stuff and we could have much worse behind trent, as well as he has played in the AFC east and knows the division (couple years with the jets)

ok here is my favorite and for a number of reasons...

charlie batch- not flashy and not a stud but the guy can win games, he can play in the snow and has a nack for making a play when nothing is there. he was above average for a few years in detroit and he has been pits insurance policy basically every year that big ben has been there until this year when he got injured. not only would he be a solid backup but since he has had some degree of success and knows the grind of the position he would be great in film study with trent, as well as if trent went down in the middle of december i wouldnt be like "damn here goes the game", actually i would think "well lets see if batch has something left" or "he has come of the bench more than once in pittsburgh and led them to a win so lets go" not too mention then guy is in his mid 30's and isnt going to ask for much more than a 1 or 2 year deal close or just above the vet league minimum and he would be worth every penny, also from pit so he would still be close to home which i would think is very important to a guy getting close to the end of his career.

Jan Reimers
01-06-2009, 08:23 AM
I like Brian Griese, but I'm probably in a vast minority.

acehole
01-06-2009, 08:33 AM
i can't see Garcia happy in a backup role

Start him!

acehole
01-06-2009, 08:34 AM
I like Brian Griese, but I'm probably in a vast minority.

He is a clone physically with trent...

Except he drinks the injuries away.

Crazygoo
01-06-2009, 08:34 AM
I think we need to bring someone in that can help trent out. Some one that can teach him. :2cents:

THATHURMANATOR
01-06-2009, 08:41 AM
I disagree wholeheartedly with this philosophy of making sure the guy we bring in can't actually play QB because it might hurt TE. Screw that. Bring in Jeff Garcia and if he's better than TE then let Garcia have the starting job. We can't afford to screw around with this position any more and should have the best play from it we can get. If it means TE takes second for a year or two while he learns that's an opportunity not a bad thing!
I agree.

THATHURMANATOR
01-06-2009, 08:41 AM
Edwards hasn't done enough in my eyes to warrant no competition.

Jan Reimers
01-06-2009, 08:49 AM
He is a clone physically with trent...

Except he drinks the injuries away.
He does apparently drink a bit, but I've never considered that a bad thing, unless he's doing it during the game.

HHURRICANE
01-06-2009, 08:52 AM
Culpepper?

THATHURMANATOR
01-06-2009, 08:57 AM
DAUNTE!!!! YES!!!

HHURRICANE
01-06-2009, 09:00 AM
Culpepper?

1) Veteran Leadership.
2) Can live with being the backup.
3) Competitive enough to challenge in camp.
4) Would probably step in and win some games.

bigbub2352
01-06-2009, 09:50 AM
Brian Greise or Ryan Fitzpatrick
A vet backup is a must now, and we need to draft a QB in the first 3rds of the Draft
Trent is fragile it is obvious, he missed games in both seasons, now there is talk of shoulder surgery on his throwing arm? how many red flags do you need ?
But we wont draft anyone Trent will go in as a starter we will sign a subpar vet like Patrick Ramsey and have Hamden in there
joke

justasportsfan
01-06-2009, 09:56 AM
a vet would be great. He would know how clueless our OC is and hopefully put him in his place. "I'm a better qb than you ever were Turk. Enough of this throwing sideways"

jimbohastle51
01-06-2009, 10:44 AM
i could see brian griese maybe, but jeff garcia isnt coming here, i dont even think for a visit, he just led a team to a winning record and will get a chance to start somewhere next year. i was trying to relay REALISTIC players that could come in and have had starts and a couple more years under there belt than trent. batch would give the vet presence, in practice and film study and can manage a game if need be. rattay also has over 20 NFL starts and can come in call audibles at the line make nice intermediate throws and hand the ball off.... none of those guys are i stated i thought would come in and compete for a starting job and cause disrubtion, instead they would come in and compement the position, and also signing one of them would probably allow us to keep hamdan who has proven to be trents best bud as the 3rd guy.

lukabrossi
01-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Garcia is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to talented to waste his time with a loser coach like Jauron......i really don't know who the Bills could con to come into town and play for this sorry, poor mans' excuse for a franchise........seriously.

Typ0
01-06-2009, 10:52 AM
why can't Jeff Garcia have a chance to start here next year?

i could see brian griese maybe, but jeff garcia isnt coming here, i dont even think for a visit, he just led a team to a winning record and will get a chance to start somewhere next year. i was trying to relay REALISTIC players that could come in and have had starts and a couple more years under there belt than trent. batch would give the vet presence, in practice and film study and can manage a game if need be. rattay also has over 20 NFL starts and can come in call audibles at the line make nice intermediate throws and hand the ball off.... none of those guys are i stated i thought would come in and compete for a starting job and cause disrubtion, instead they would come in and compement the position, and also signing one of them would probably allow us to keep hamdan who has proven to be trents best bud as the 3rd guy.

lukabrossi
01-06-2009, 11:07 AM
ya see...........Garcia wants to move ahead in this league and who can blame him. Isn't that the ultimate aim in professional sports? If Garcia came to Buffalo, it would put his career in high reverse and would be taking a major step backwards.
The Buffalo Bills haven't come to the realization yet or are brainwashed from listening to their lifeless and comatose coach, about the benefits of a winning season.....and the prospect of half-decent talent that may be available in free-agency, when a team makes the commitment to winning.

Historian
01-06-2009, 12:14 PM
DAUNTE!!!! YES!!!

No way.

Then we would have to let Feelthepain back in just for ****s and giggles...

acehole
01-06-2009, 12:19 PM

Perfect fit for system.

Proven winner.

His experience will overcome some coaching deficits.

Can either start or back up on day one.

Will be a great mentor for trend.

Can he play in cold?

How is his arm?

How will it sit with him to be the back up?

Him fitpatrick or culpepper would be fine all bring somthing to the table.

acehole
01-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Brian Greise or Ryan Fitzpatrick
A vet backup is a must now, and we need to draft a QB in the first 3rds of the Draft
Trent is fragile it is obvious, he missed games in both seasons, now there is talk of shoulder surgery on his throwing arm? how many red flags do you need ?
But we wont draft anyone Trent will go in as a starter we will sign a subpar vet like Patrick Ramsey and have Hamden in there
joke

Yea if we draft one we will mind hump yet another promising qb prospect....

Typ0
01-06-2009, 12:28 PM
ya see...........Garcia wants to move ahead in this league and who can blame him. Isn't that the ultimate aim in professional sports? If Garcia came to Buffalo, it would put his career in high reverse and would be taking a major step backwards.
The Buffalo Bills haven't come to the realization yet or are brainwashed from listening to their lifeless and comatose coach, about the benefits of a winning season.....and the prospect of half-decent talent that may be available in free-agency, when a team makes the commitment to winning.

that is your opinion. Garcia could be a good fit here. That doesn't mean he is but he may be depending on philosophy. I actually think he's the ideal candidate. We run a type of west coast offense. He is perfect for what we do...and if he sees that and thinks he can be successful here then he would consider it. Especially if we promised him another WR and TE.

jimbohastle51
01-06-2009, 07:44 PM

believe whatever you want, but garcia wont even be contacted by our front office. the owner is committed to edwards and he isnt going to pay 4-6 million guaranteed to garcia to watch him ride the pine, and at this point with edwards he has improved each of the past 2 years, next year is his make or break year and they arnt going to bring in a jeff garcia to make him over work or look over his shoulder too much instead of worry about the season and the playbook. the QB we bring in will be a lower quality or mid quality guy.

Nighthawk
01-06-2009, 08:15 PM
We need a vet backup that understands his role that he is indeed only the backup and must also be able to teach Trent

I do not like any of those guys in this role

Todd Collins, Gus Frerotte, or Jeff Garcia

Jeff Garcia is not exactly the type to just accept a backup role.

acehole
01-07-2009, 09:07 AM

Then start him....

justasportsfan
01-07-2009, 09:12 AM
Just can't stand listening to Garcia. HIs lisps are worse than JP's squeeky voice.

lukabrossi
01-07-2009, 09:35 AM
Garcia would never, never come here. He's too smart for that and he would never put up with Jaurons' philosophies.

TacklingDummy
01-07-2009, 09:43 AM

The problem is that Garcia might not have a choice. Most good teams or teams on the rise already have a good QB. That's one of the reasons why they are good teams.

TacklingDummy
01-07-2009, 09:46 AM
The Bills are committed to Edwards. They won't go out and sign someone like Garica because they don't want the Trent haters/JP Losman fans to start their crap on who should be the starter.

Maybe they'll waste a 5th round pick on a QB.

Typ0
01-07-2009, 10:07 AM
this pansy ass attitude of babying your young QB is crap and what has led us to where we are. It's a longshot to have a young guy pan out and TE has also proven there is a question about his durability. We need two good QBs on the roster period. These are big boys now getting paid big $$$ stop whining about their fragile egos.

justasportsfan
01-07-2009, 10:12 AM
this pansy ass attitude of babying your young QB is crap and what has led us to where we are. It's the philosophy of this coaching staff with a winning culture.

lukabrossi
01-07-2009, 10:17 AM
...fire everybody.

The Jokeman
01-07-2009, 10:19 AM
He must have learned that from his mentor QB in the Calgary, Doug Flutie.

jimbohastle51
01-07-2009, 04:17 PM
i am telling you guys we are going to sign a mid to low level free agent and keep hamdan but i would not rule out a guy like graham harrell if he slips (he had a 2nd-3rd round grade before his horrible bowl showing, he could be a nice late 3rd or 4th round pick), drew willy even (he is a 5-7th round projection and fimiliar with the area) or rudy carpenter from arizona state and dont forget that kid from central michigan dan lefavour.... there are plent of mid to late round draft picks at qb this year that has up side.

Typ0
01-07-2009, 04:20 PM
seriously, late round picks that are just for show don't count. We're talking about a real need for a QB here.

The King
01-07-2009, 04:20 PM
How about someone who is not used to losing every game.

X-Era
01-07-2009, 04:22 PM
How about someone who is not used to losing every game.

Graham Harrell fits the Bill!