• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimbohastle51
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Feb 2005

vet QB backup idea?

so i was going through some of the vet QB's available in free agency this year and was taking into consideration that we will NOT be spending big money on one and saw a couple names i really liked and thought i would give them to you along with the one that stood out the most and see what you guys think? keep in mind these are guys that could actually be signed by the bills and are not thinking there coming in to take over trents job, because dick nor ralph will let that happen, at least not this year (ralph has even been quoted as saying he likes trent ALOT).... NO jeff garcia's, kerry collins, rex grossmans, or kyle bollers here, those are guys that either want to start or are young and still want a second chance (not that there is anything wrong with that but this off season it aint happening in buffalo).

1)tim rattay - has over 20 NFL starts and played in over 40 games he is an accurate QB, just no cannon for an arm and also wouldnt break the bank and he does have a career 81.9 rating (not bad for vet league minimum).

2)byron leftwhich- he will probably want a starting gig or at least to compete for one but man he really has looked good this year the chances hes had to play with pit and he was a pretty good starter for a number of years, the reason he is here is because when him and culpepper both went to work out for pit he was the one that completely understood what his job would be there and had no problem with the backup role (all i am saying is after we fill all our needs and he is still around he would come in not ***** about playing time and go to work)

3)patrick ramsey- was a great college QB and just didnt transition to the NFL as a starter, but he does have some nice stuff and we could have much worse behind trent, as well as he has played in the AFC east and knows the division (couple years with the jets)

ok here is my favorite and for a number of reasons...

charlie batch- not flashy and not a stud but the guy can win games, he can play in the snow and has a nack for making a play when nothing is there. he was above average for a few years in detroit and he has been pits insurance policy basically every year that big ben has been there until this year when he got injured. not only would he be a solid backup but since he has had some degree of success and knows the grind of the position he would be great in film study with trent, as well as if trent went down in the middle of december i wouldnt be like "damn here goes the game", actually i would think "well lets see if batch has something left" or "he has come of the bench more than once in pittsburgh and led them to a win so lets go" not too mention then guy is in his mid 30's and isnt going to ask for much more than a 1 or 2 year deal close or just above the vet league minimum and he would be worth every penny, also from pit so he would still be close to home which i would think is very important to a guy getting close to the end of his career.
  • clumping platelets

Re: vet QB backup idea?

We need a vet backup that understands his role that he is indeed only the backup and must also be able to teach Trent

I do not like any of those guys in this role

Todd Collins, Gus Frerotte, or Jeff Garcia

Comment

• shelby
      The Vanilla *****
      • Jul 2002

i can't see Garcia happy in a backup role

Comment

• clumping platelets

I concur but that's his likely role in the future

Comment

• Historian
          2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
          • Dec 2002

How about getting a pass rush, and leving the QB tutoring to the Pill?

Comment

• clumping platelets

Pass rush >>>>>> all other problems combined

Comment

• Crazygoo
              • Nov 2005

[quote=

Todd Collins, Gus Frerotte, or Jeff Garcia[/quote]

Todd Collins?? your kidding i hope
              :chug: BEER ME!!!

Comment

• Oaf
                Do you read what you write?
                • Jun 2007

Todd Collins? woah.

Both Rattay and Batch sound really good to me, Jimbo.

Comment

• Typ0
                  honey pie
                  • Jul 2002

I disagree wholeheartedly with this philosophy of making sure the guy we bring in can't actually play QB because it might hurt TE. Screw that. Bring in Jeff Garcia and if he's better than TE then let Garcia have the starting job. We can't afford to screw around with this position any more and should have the best play from it we can get. If it means TE takes second for a year or two while he learns that's an opportunity not a bad thing!

Comment

• User Manuel
                    The Artist formerly Known as Lawesome97
                    • Nov 2003

Ryan Fitzpatrick - He has started, he will be cheap and he has shown the ability to move an offense.

Comment

• acehole
                      • Jan 2006

I was looking at Tim Rattay last year.

Seems like a good fit for what we are doing here....

Dont know much else about him and his current mind state...

Originally posted by jimbohastle51
                      so i was going through some of the vet QB's available in free agency this year and was taking into consideration that we will NOT be spending big money on one and saw a couple names i really liked and thought i would give them to you along with the one that stood out the most and see what you guys think? keep in mind these are guys that could actually be signed by the bills and are not thinking there coming in to take over trents job, because dick nor ralph will let that happen, at least not this year (ralph has even been quoted as saying he likes trent ALOT).... NO jeff garcia's, kerry collins, rex grossmans, or kyle bollers here, those are guys that either want to start or are young and still want a second chance (not that there is anything wrong with that but this off season it aint happening in buffalo).

1)tim rattay - has over 20 NFL starts and played in over 40 games he is an accurate QB, just no cannon for an arm and also wouldnt break the bank and he does have a career 81.9 rating (not bad for vet league minimum).

2)byron leftwhich- he will probably want a starting gig or at least to compete for one but man he really has looked good this year the chances hes had to play with pit and he was a pretty good starter for a number of years, the reason he is here is because when him and culpepper both went to work out for pit he was the one that completely understood what his job would be there and had no problem with the backup role (all i am saying is after we fill all our needs and he is still around he would come in not ***** about playing time and go to work)

3)patrick ramsey- was a great college QB and just didnt transition to the NFL as a starter, but he does have some nice stuff and we could have much worse behind trent, as well as he has played in the AFC east and knows the division (couple years with the jets)

ok here is my favorite and for a number of reasons...

charlie batch- not flashy and not a stud but the guy can win games, he can play in the snow and has a nack for making a play when nothing is there. he was above average for a few years in detroit and he has been pits insurance policy basically every year that big ben has been there until this year when he got injured. not only would he be a solid backup but since he has had some degree of success and knows the grind of the position he would be great in film study with trent, as well as if trent went down in the middle of december i wouldnt be like "damn here goes the game", actually i would think "well lets see if batch has something left" or "he has come of the bench more than once in pittsburgh and led them to a win so lets go" not too mention then guy is in his mid 30's and isnt going to ask for much more than a 1 or 2 year deal close or just above the vet league minimum and he would be worth every penny, also from pit so he would still be close to home which i would think is very important to a guy getting close to the end of his career.
                      Hated by the stupid..
                      Loved by their moms.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                        • May 2003

I like Brian Griese, but I'm probably in a vast minority.
                        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• acehole
                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by shelby
                          i can't see Garcia happy in a backup role
                          Start him!
                          Hated by the stupid..
                          Loved by their moms.

Comment

• acehole
                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                            I like Brian Griese, but I'm probably in a vast minority.
                            He is a clone physically with trent...

Except he drinks the injuries away.
                            Hated by the stupid..
                            Loved by their moms.

Comment

• Crazygoo
                              • Nov 2005

I think we need to bring someone in that can help trent out. Some one that can teach him.
                              :chug: BEER ME!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X