PDA

View Full Version : BillsZone Exclusive: A General Assessment of the Bills Players

shelby
01-06-2009, 02:45 PM
The 2008 season was a tough one to swallow for Bills fans. One moment the Bills were riding high, and the next moment they had crashed and burned. The season was a complete collapse, and as of yet, it hasn't produced a scapegoat. Most Bills fans feel a change was mandatory, and the higher that change happened in the hierarchy, the better. Seems the desire for change was ignored, much like the desire for wins has been for about a decade.

Many people, including myself, thought ’08 would be the year the Bills turned it around. They were coming off an encouraging season with their encouraging young talent. They added more talent in the off season. They had a number of injured players returning. They had gained experience, continuity, and comfort. Also, they had learned to play through diversity and learn to win. Or so we thought.
They went on to underachieve. Seems every player’s performance was a little lower then what was expected. A prime example is John McCargo (DT), who after being chose by a respected journalist, or two, as a “2008 break out player”, he went on to become a Bills embarrassment.
The Bills season has ended with no playoffs, as usual. Seems there is still one thing left to do; assessments. I figure I would give this staff a hand with that. Although I am not a football genius, it seems this staff could use any help it could get.
Quarterback
As the Bills QBs go, so do the Bills. This theory is supported by the fact the running game got it going during the second half of the season, but the Bills offensive scoring dropped significantly. This was a tale of two seasons for Trent, much like the Bills. He started out red hot, and was finding himself right square under some national spot light. Then Adrain Wilson happened, and he happened hard. He put Trent out of the game and Trent went from MVP candidate to shell-shocked war veteran in 2 seconds flat. After that hit there were times when he dropped back to pass and it looked like he was experiencing post traumatic stress and war flashbacks. He developed a strong case of tunnel vision and near-sidedness, prompting fans and respected journalist to ask “Trent, are you afraid to throw it?”
In addition to his seemingly problematic state-of-mind, he was abysmal performing against the 3-4 defenses. His passer rating was a 70.4 verses the 3-4, and a healthy 98.5 when playing against everything else. The Bills posted a 1-7 record verses the 3-4, with Trent going 1 for 5. The lone win came coming off the bye week.
That is a vast contrast with what seems to be a clear single denominator. This may be compelling evidence. I feel when you add how bad Losman looked against the 3-4, it is pretty clear the Bills QBs were entirely under-prepared by this staff to face this style defense. The team averaged 15.4 points verses the 3-4, and 26.6 points otherwise. I think this is good news for the Bills. Preparation and game plan can be more readily fixed, then a lack of talent.
I am hesitant to call Trent Edwards the Bills future at QB. He may have completed the season with a respectable 85.4 passer rating, but I have seen Losman do that. Further working against my belief in Trent is he looked worst as the season went on, as opposed to JP during his ‘06 campaign (85 rating) in which he looked better as the season progressed. I’m not saying he is JP losman, but the Bills have a history of repeating their bad history.
So here the Bills are again, with the QB position in a bit of a limbo. In my opinion, Trent showed enough promise at times, and the Bills have so many other glaring holes, it is a position unlikely to be upgraded this off-season. Trent will have to step it up from the encouraging promise he showed early on, and take this team with his performance to the next level.
With the pending loss of Losman, and Trent’s injury history, the Bills will have to find a suitable backup. There is a list of backup quality veteran QBs available to choose from.

more... (http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2009/01/06/a_general_assessment_of_the_bills_players_for_the_casual_bills_fan.php)

lukabrossi
01-06-2009, 03:14 PM
it's a sad, sad season, my friend.

patmoran2006
01-06-2009, 04:22 PM
who was this written by?
(I mean poster name)

shelby
01-06-2009, 05:29 PM
i'll leave it up to him to decide if he wants to share that information with you.

patmoran2006
01-06-2009, 07:43 PM
What is this, Secret Santa?
I respect anyone who takes the time and thought to write a piece for the board.

jamze132
01-07-2009, 04:37 AM
What is this, Secret Santa?
I respect anyone who takes the time and thought to write a piece for the board.
I don't know why all the secrecy either...

yordad
01-07-2009, 06:55 AM
Gez guys, it was me.

jamze132
01-07-2009, 07:24 AM
Gez guys, it was me.
Are we going to be "wacked" now for knowing too much info?

Night Train
01-07-2009, 07:27 AM
Rather than write a good article with thought, wouldn't it be easier to just say " everybody sucks " like most do here ? :shelby: :deadhorse

Quit wasting our time with quality posting. :up:

ddaryl
01-07-2009, 08:33 AM
I agree with most everything.... my only somewhat disagreement would be in regards to Edwards. He performed well in his 1st full year and for young QB it really is up to the players around him to take the pressure off of him this early in his career.

With so many injuries and sloppy unpredictable OL play coupled with some brutal coaching / gameplanning / play calling I just have a hard time over-critisizing Edwards. Throw in that real nasty concussion and the fact he ended on a semi-strong note and I would have ot say that any talk of drafting his replacement is extremly premature. We just need a rock solid backup mentoring vet who can be effective and consistent

yordad
01-07-2009, 10:23 AM
I agree with most everything.... my only somewhat disagreement would be in regards to Edwards. He performed well in his 1st full year and for young QB it really is up to the players around him to take the pressure off of him this early in his career.

With so many injuries and sloppy unpredictable OL play coupled with some brutal coaching / gameplanning / play calling I just have a hard time over-critisizing Edwards. Throw in that real nasty concussion and the fact he ended on a semi-strong note and I would have ot say that any talk of drafting his replacement is extremly premature. We just need a rock solid backup mentoring vet who can be effective and consistentThankyou ddaryl, I agree. But, I wanted to stop short of saying I "expect" him to progress. IMO, moving forward he is the best option for this team. I just ain't entirely convinced he is the future.

I hope that makes sense.

lukabrossi
01-07-2009, 10:38 AM
....fire everybody.

ddaryl
01-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Thankyou ddaryl, I agree. But, I wanted to stop short of saying I "expect" him to progress. IMO, moving forward he is the best option for this team. I just ain't entirely convinced he is the future.

I hope that makes sense.

I agree... Edwards lack of being able to stretch the field is a weakness. Trusting his recievers to make a play downfiled will come in time. If he stays healthy he seems to be better than average.

people complain about Edwards not being good against the 3-4 D's but I tend to think our OC/HC are incapable of getting our entire O to work well against the 3-4 which is hindering Edwards. Part of that problem stems from practicing against a 4-3 most of the time. BUT Turk and Dick need to have plays that work well against the 3-4 just the same, and they need to make sure their players no how to adjust to it as well.

But since we have committed ot Edwards we have to give him a chance to develope... he has shown enough to say he is developable.

yordad
01-07-2009, 11:18 AM
I agree... Edwards lack of being able to stretch the field is a weakness. Trusting his recievers to make a play downfiled will come in time. If he stays healthy he seems to be better than average.

people complain about Edwards not being good against the 3-4 D's but I tend to think our OC/HC are incapable of getting our entire O to work well against the 3-4 which is hindering Edwards. Part of that problem stems from practicing against a 4-3 most of the time. BUT Turk and Dick need to have plays that work well against the 3-4 just the same, and they need to make sure their players no how to adjust to it as well.

But since we have committed ot Edwards we have to give him a chance to develope... he has shown enough to say he is developable."I feel when you add how bad Losman looked against the 3-4, it is pretty clear the Bills QBs were entirely under-prepared by this staff to face this style defense. The team averaged 15.4 points verses the 3-4, and 26.6 points otherwise. I think this is good news for the Bills. Preparation and game plan can be more readily fixed, then a lack of talent." It was subtle, but I agree. I wanted to keep my assessments about the player. It was getting long, and we could write a book about the ineptitude of these coaches.

I do appreciate your thoughts and comments. And, I too hope the team can get better vs this style defense.

yordad
01-08-2009, 07:29 AM
No furthur comments guys? I guess I should have left the author unknown. This thread got more action before I said it, lol.

HHURRICANE
01-08-2009, 07:40 AM
Edwards played well for his first full season, lack of a running game at times, some inconsistant o-line play, and by far losing Reed for that stretch of first AFC East losses really hurt us.

ddaryl
01-08-2009, 08:35 AM
No furthur comments guys? I guess I should have left the author unknown. This thread got more action before I said it, lol.

don't sweat it... the board in general seems to be in it's typical not quite offseason lull.

right after the SB the board picks up with FA and draft excitement, which sadly has been the best part of Bills season for the last 10 years... the offseason where we think we just might get over the hump... sad isn't it.