• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cntrygal
    Visually stunning but camera-shy.
    • Jul 2002

OT rule needs a flipping change

Imagine if the seventh game of the NBA Finals went to overtime, and Kobe Bryant sat on the bench the entire five minutes. Or if the Yankees lost a decisive World Series game in extra innings, without getting to bat in the 10th.

That’s the folly of the NFL’s outdated overtime format, which allows the winner of a coin flip the chance to win without giving the opposing offense a chance to respond. Defenders of the system say it’s fine the way it is. They say it makes the NFL unique. I call it stupid.

original article
    linked article and more
    Originally posted by notacon
    The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com
  • THATHURMANATOR
    • Jul 2002

Re: OT rule needs a flipping change

They shouldn't change OT.

Comment

• northernbillfan
      Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.

Administrator Emeritus
      • Jul 2002

They should look at the college system or the CFL's system. Each team has a possesion and a chance to score. Makes it fair for all around.
      When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

Comment

• Coach Sal
        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by northernbillfan
        They should look at the college system or the CFL's system. Each team has a possesion and a chance to score. Makes it fair for all around.
        I wouldn't want the NFL to adopt the college system because:
        1. It's way too easy to kick a field goal in the NFL if you give a team the ball at the opponents' 25.
        2. I believe taking away a big portion of the game - special teams - is wrong (and even a disadvantage for teams good it at). There is no kickoff and no punting in the college OT. So, 60-minute games are played and those areas are big factors, but then they eliminate them for the OT.

I like Sully's idea. One full 15-minute quarter. End of quarter who's ahead wins.

OR.....how about first team to six points wins?! That way, you can't win on a field goal. You can still win on first possession, but only if you score a TD.
        Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
        And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
          I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
          • May 2005

Originally posted by Coach Sal
          I wouldn't want the NFL to adopt the college system because:
          1. It's way too easy to kick a field goal in the NFL if you give a team the ball at the opponents' 25.
          2. I believe taking away a big portion of the game - special teams - is wrong (and even a disadvantage for teams good it at). There is no kickoff and no punting in the college OT. So, 60-minute games are played and those areas are big factors, but then they eliminate them for the OT.

I like Sully's idea. One full 15-minute quarter. End of quarter who's ahead wins.

OR.....how about first team to six points wins?! That way, you can't win on a field goal. You can still win on first possession, but only if you score a TD.
          College changes the basics of football too much for their OT. The full 15 minute quarter is an interesting prospect, probably the best of the ideas I've seen... But really, if you don't get the ball, shouldn't you expect your defense to be able to stop the other team when you need them to?

Comment

• madness
            • Apr 2003

I'm sorry but the college OT format gets me pumped up more than any other. If I could automatically record every game that goes in OT, I would.

I'm not saying the NFL should definitely adopt that format but I think it's definitely the most exciting to watch. If it wasn't for the BCS, I'd be into college football harcore.

Comment

• MikeInRoch
              • Sep 2003

I like the "no kicking" idea. In OT, no FGs or punts.
              "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                • Apr 2004

I like the "first to six" idea. If the team that wins the coin toss fails to score a TD and kicks a field goal, the opposing offense gets a shot. A field goal ties it back up and a TD wins it, but in my version, no score loses the game. I was also thinking if the first offense scores a FG, the opposing offense must score a TD or lose right there...no FG to tie. That would be high drama and the pressure would still be on the first team to defend.

Comment

• SeatownBillsFan21
                  • Mar 2004

Each team should get at least 1 shot.Games should never end in ties

Comment

• cablesabres68
                    • Nov 2003

what i think they should do is play another 15 minute quarter and the winner of the quarter at the end of the 15 minutes wins the game if it is tied in the regular season it ends in a tie but if it is a playoff game it keeps going the team would have to use the whole field same rules as the other 4 quarters it would make it more exciting because the teams need to drive the whole field to score or special teams could win it for you or w/e i think that would be awesome

Comment

• Night Train
                      Retired - On Several Levels
                      • Jul 2005

Both teams should get a shot in OT.

Put the ball at their own 40, instead of 25 yards from the endzone. Forces them to go 60 yards for a TD or even get a couple 1st downs, just for a long FG attempt. Ban punting, which forces another offensive play on 4th down.

Think about it. The D and O both come out looking good for the winner. They earned the win, rather than lucking out over a coin flip.
                      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• imbondz
                        Democrats are people too
                        • Jan 2003

why not just let it end in a tie? if it's the playoffs, then both teams advance.
                        My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• Typ0
                          honey pie
                          • Jul 2002

the current format is the best it could be. teams aren't getting "screwed" by losing a coin flip in OT they are getting "screwed" by their inability to win the game in regulation.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                            Peterman Sucks!
                            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Typ0
                            the current format is the best it could be. teams aren't getting "screwed" by losing a coin flip in OT they are getting "screwed" by their inability to win the game in regulation.

Or their inability to stop another team's offense.

Just because you get the ball first in OT, in the playoffs, doesn't mean you'll win.

Ask the 1986 Browns about that one in the AFC Championship game.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                              Defies all logic
                              • Oct 2006

Ok, Sullivan knocked the ball out of the park on this one, he made some very good analogies, I'm 100% convinced.

Comment

Working...
                              X