PDA

View Full Version : QBs from Class of 2004 making Super pursuit an annual event

Bill Brasky
01-07-2009, 10:03 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-01-06-qbs-class-of-04_N.htm?csp=34

Those who say it is about the journey and not the destination simply haven't experienced the destination. Especially if the destination is the Super Bowl.

Four teams in 2004 drafted quarterbacks in the first round with an eye toward greatness. Three of them are chasing the NFL championship, two of them with Super Bowl rings already banked behind these quarterbacks.

Eli Manning won the Super Bowl with the New York Giants last February. He was the first overall pick in '04, taken by the San Diego Chargers. They traded him to the Giants for Philip Rivers, the fourth choice, and a bunch of other picks after Manning's representatives indicated the player would not sign with the Chargers.

The Pittsburgh Steelers won Super Bowl XL in Ben Roethlisberger's second season.

Shut out entirely: J.P. Losman, picked 22nd by the Buffalo Bills. His team never made the playoffs in his five star-crossed seasons and he is likely to be a free agent next month.

Rivers led his team to the AFC Championship Game last season where the New England Patriots ended their quest. Now the hunt is renewed as the Chargers move into the divisional-round playoffs against Roethlisberger and the Steelers.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Oh I think we should have expected that - of all the four quaterbacks selected in the first round of that draft the Giants, San Diego, and the Steelers picked the three very possible future hall of famers and we the Buffalo Bills got ourselves JP Loserman.

TacklingDummy
01-07-2009, 01:14 PM
JP would have won a Super Bowl by now if he was drafted by the Giants, Steelers, or Chargers.

bigbub2352
01-07-2009, 01:22 PM
How are we always so wrong
nothing to do with the Bills brass just luck right?

don137
01-07-2009, 01:45 PM
I remember the Bills tried hard to trade up for Roethliburger with Houston but the Texans wanted to draft Robinson @DB and were worried that the Jets, who picked one ahead of Buffalo, would take him because they needed help at DB as well. As a result they did not consumate a trade and the Bills drafted Evans since Roethlisberger was drafted by Pitsburgh

Picked one pick after the Cowboys selected Julius Jones with the pick given up by the Bills for Losman was Bob Sanders taken by the Colts.

Mad Bomber
01-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Picked one pick after the Cowboys selected Julius Jones with the pick given up by the Bills for Losman was Bob Sanders taken by the Colts.
That was the second time in a row that the Colts got someone we should have drafted.

In 2003 we picked Willis McGahee 23rd. The very next pick? Dallas Clark to the Colts.

cocamide
01-07-2009, 02:44 PM
JP would have won a Super Bowl by now if he was drafted by the Giants, Steelers, or Chargers.

Sure, if he was selected in the 7th round as a backup to Manning, Roethlisberger, or Rivers.

Mr. Miyagi
01-07-2009, 02:47 PM
That was the second time in a row that the Colts got someone we should have drafted.

In 2003 we picked Willis McGahee 23rd. The very next pick? Dallas Clark to the Colts.
****ing Tom Donahoe mother ****er :curse::curse:

Jan Reimers
01-07-2009, 02:47 PM
I'm not defending JP at all - there is no comparison between him and the other 3 - but given our talent level, would Big Ben, Eli or Rivers have had the success in Buffalo as they've had with their teams?

We've got talent, coaching and FO issues that pale in comparison to these other teams, so JP has had a lot of help in our abject failure.

Patti120
01-07-2009, 02:52 PM
Tis comical isn't it?

theanswer74
01-07-2009, 03:21 PM
I'm not defending JP at all - there is no comparison between him and the other 3 - but given our talent level, would Big Ben, Eli or Rivers have had the success in Buffalo as they've had with their teams?

We've got talent, coaching and FO issues that pale in comparison to these other teams, so JP has had a lot of help in our abject failure.

All I know is those teams picked ahead of us in the draft that year for a reason.

You have bad teams that get better when those QB's took over, the Bills had a good team that got worse once Losman took over.

You do the math.

BillsWin
01-07-2009, 04:08 PM
If Rivers won the superbowl and Losman was any good it would've been the best QB draft ever in my opinion.

The King
01-07-2009, 04:14 PM

every team needs a holder.

Mr. Miyagi
01-07-2009, 04:14 PM
If Rivers won the superbowl and Losman was any good it would've been the best QB draft ever in my opinion.
Better than Kelly-Marino-Elway in 83? IMO none of the Manning-Ben-Philips is even close to Kelly-Marino-Elway.

And JP Losman is our Ken O'Brien. :ill:

Mr. Pink
01-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Better than Kelly-Marino-Elway in 83? IMO none of the Manning-Ben-Philips is even close to Kelly-Marino-Elway.

And JP Losman is our Ken O'Brien. :ill:

Nah, Ken O'Brien did have some success....

More like our Todd Blackledge.

TacklingDummy
01-07-2009, 04:59 PM

They tied for Super Bowl rings?

lukabrossi
01-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Losman is a poor mans Andre Ware.

Jan Reimers
01-08-2009, 07:06 AM
All I know is those teams picked ahead of us in the draft that year for a reason.

You have bad teams that get better when those QB's took over, the Bills had a good team that got worse once Losman took over.

You do the math.
I doubt if those of you that put the blame for our failures primarily on JP can even do math. You can't get beyond 1.

trapezeus
01-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Losman is a poor mans Andre Ware.
ouch for losman. that's low.

justasportsfan
01-08-2009, 10:52 AM

None of those qb's would've done anything if we drafted any of them. We would've just ruined their careers like everyone else we bring in.

trapezeus
01-08-2009, 11:07 AM
None of those qb's would've done anything if we drafted any of them. We would've just ruined their careers like everyone else we bring in.

but their struggles wouldnt have been as ugly as Losman's. It's apoint that i think you and i agree to disagree on.

Edwards has struggled, but looked capable at times. Losman never looked capable as a leader. even in his 2006 year, he put up more garbage yards and more stat padding long bombs well after games were out of reach. i do think that Edwards, with the same shoddy coaching, has kept his team in every game he's played this year. I think we would have gotten similar kind of play out of Roethlisberger. looks decent but you can tell he's handcuffed by the coaches

Manning and Rivers, I'm not so sure. They may have been losmanesque. Manning really struggled out the gate. He isn't a natural leader and took a lot of shots early. Rivers, maybe he's closer to being in that Roesthlisberger category since he is actually succeeding with a coach as bad as norv turner.

Jeff1220
01-08-2009, 11:35 AM
As much as nobody ever wants to admit it, luck plays a huge part in all aspects of this game...and the Bills' luck is mostly bad luck.

Philagape
01-08-2009, 11:41 AM

You mean, would they have won Super Bowls? Of course not.
The relevant comparison isn't between what their teams have done and what the Bills would have done with them. All you're doing there is comparing the teams, which is fine except this is a QB thread.
If you're comparing QBs, it's between what the Bills have done and what they would have done with those players. A better QB means more "success."
And a better QB can be more successful at the things QBs do, even if the rest of the team holds him back and doesn't have as much success.

TacklingDummy
01-08-2009, 11:42 AM
As much as nobody ever wants to admit it, luck plays a huge part in all aspects of this game...and the Bills' luck is mostly bad luck.

Luck? :bs: Everyone knew Tom Brady was going to be great thats why he was drafted first over...nevermind.

justasportsfan
01-08-2009, 11:47 AM
but their struggles wouldnt have been as ugly as Losman's. It's apoint that i think you and i agree to disagree on.

Edwards has struggled, but looked capable at times. Losman never looked capable as a leader. even in his 2006 year, he put up more garbage yards and more stat padding long bombs well after games were out of reach. i do think that Edwards, with the same shoddy coaching, has kept his team in every game he's played this year. I think we would have gotten similar kind of play out of Roethlisberger. looks decent but you can tell he's handcuffed by the coaches

Manning and Rivers, I'm not so sure. They may have been losmanesque. Manning really struggled out the gate. He isn't a natural leader and took a lot of shots early. Rivers, maybe he's closer to being in that Roesthlisberger category since he is actually succeeding with a coach as bad as norv turner.

the jury is still out on Trent. I like his potential as much as I liked JPs after 06. Trent didn't look as good as JP did in 06.

Point is, no Qb would've succeeded here based on the coaches we've hired.

raphael120
01-08-2009, 09:04 PM
****ing Tom Donahoe mother ****er :curse::curse:

****ing RALPH WILSON mother ****er :curse::curse:[

chubluv
01-09-2009, 11:52 AM
I still cant believe the first round pick we gave Dallas turned out to be a good pass rushing defensive end. Hes only led the league in sacks the last 2 years.

jamze132
01-09-2009, 04:48 PM

I honestly think that any of the other QBs would have had more success than JP. He is a complete idiot on the field and has personally cost the Bills their share of wins.

acehole
01-09-2009, 09:21 PM
This is your opinion and that is fine...JP looked better then Eli Early on as I am in Gaints territory. Would JP have been better if drafted on a better team? Who knows and who cares..... What we can argure is those teams had better players and better coaching and handled the qb position a lot better then we did. Jp is a ghost......I just hope they give the next guys a better fighting chance...

Mr. Pink
01-10-2009, 12:34 PM
That's right!

Todd Blackledge didn't suck. He could have been the best QB out of the 84 class. The Chiefs just mishandled him.

:rofl:

acehole
01-11-2009, 08:50 AM
That's right!

Todd Blackledge didn't suck. He could have been the best QB out of the 84 class. The Chiefs just mishandled him.

:rofl:

Who knows and who cares.