PDA

View Full Version : Portis coming to minicamp

PA Season Ticket Holder
05-08-2003, 08:33 PM
It's no secret Clinton Portis wants a new, revised contract. But that desire is not going to keep the Denver Broncos running back from attending the team's three-day minicamp that opens Friday.

file
Clinton Portis

"Clinton will be there," Portis' agent, David Ware, said Wednesday. "There was never any question at all that he would be at minicamp."

What is open to question is whether the Broncos and Portis will work out a new deal this summer.

In July, the second-round draft choice from Miami signed a four-year, $2.65 million contract that included a $1.29 million signing bonus. But that deal was inked before Portis rushed for 1,508 yards en route to NFL offensive rookie of the year honors.

Last month, Ware said he intended to seek a new deal for his client.

"I think we just need to sit down and talk about a number of issues and see where we end up," Ware said. "(The Broncos) don't give incentives to second-round picks, and when we did the deal last year, I felt like Portis is special and you need to have some incentives.

"They assured me that they have a policy that they don't do it, but if he performs at the level we thought he would, they would address it, and he did. So I expect them to address it as they promised."

Wednesday, Ware said nothing has changed since last month.

"We want to see something worked out this summer," he said. "That's consistent with what we've been saying all along."

In past years, the Broncos reworked the contracts of tailbacks Terrell Davis and Mike Anderson, both sixth-round draft choices with relatively small signing bonuses who played well above expectations. Portis, however, got a seven-figure signing bonus.

While almost all of Portis' teammates have been participating in the Broncos' rigorous offseason program, Portis has been working out on his own in Miami. Coach Mike Shanahan has made it clear he would prefer Portis work out with his teammates. Ware, however, said Portis is staying fit.

"I see and talk to Clinton all of the time," Ware said. "He's getting in very good shape."

Backup quarterback Steve Beuerlein also is scheduled to be at the minicamp. When he agreed to come back for his 17th and likely final season, Shanahan agreed Beuerlein could conduct his offseason workouts at his home in Charlotte, N.C. Beuerlein, who wanted to spend time with his family, has been getting in shape by working out with a kick boxer and running.

The one high-profile player who won't be in attendance Friday is tight end Shannon Sharpe.

The veteran announced Sunday that he would be returning for his 14th season, but Shanahan has granted him permission to skip the minicamp

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~86~1376934,00.html