PDA

View Full Version : Ravens expecting R. Lewis, McAlister to be at minicamp

PA Season Ticket Holder
05-08-2003, 08:33 PM
The Ravens are expecting a full house for this weekend's minicamp.

Team officials said yesterday that linebacker Ray Lewis is medically cleared to participate and cornerback Chris McAlister is leaning toward attending the first full-team workout of the offseason.

It originally was thought that McAlister, who was designated the team's franchise player, would skip the voluntary practices. Many players routinely protest the tag - which keeps players off the free-agent market in exchange for a one-year tender worth the average salary of the top five paid at their positions - by not appearing at offseason functions.

"It's my understanding that Chris will be here," Ravens coach Brian Billick said. "We talked about it right after the season. Chris understands what his obligations are. He's been great about it along with [his agent] Mitch Frankel. We have no concerns with that."

http://www.sunspot.net/sports/football/bal-sp.ravens07may07,0,3298873.story?coll=bal-sports-football

Cntrygal
05-11-2003, 10:05 AM
Return of Lewis takes spotlight off Hartwell

If it's possible for a team's leading tackler to be overlooked, it could happen to Ed Hartwell this season.

If other teams want to focus on Ravens star linebackers Ray Lewis and Peter Boulware, as well as first-round draft pick Terrell Suggs, Hartwell plans on making them pay.

Hartwell had 125 tackles and three sacks last year, and also was forced to become emotional leader of the defense when Lewis was injured. Replacing Lewis is a challenge for anyone, but the second-year pro proved up to the task, becoming the first player in franchise history besides Lewis to lead the Ravens in tackles.

more... (http://www.sunspot.net/sports/football/bal-ravens0510,0,361043.story?coll=bal%2Dsports%2Dfootball)

PA Season Ticket Holder
05-11-2003, 11:28 AM
OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- It was the moment that Ray Lewis waited for since last November. After spending six months rehabilitating a partially dislocated left shoulder, the Baltimore Ravens linebacker finally returned to the football field Friday.

Lewis

"Today I'm like a kid all over again. I just want to run around and have fun,'' Lewis said before the first practice of a three-day minicamp.

Lewis played in only one game after hurting his shoulder against the Cleveland Browns last Oct. 6. He missed the next five weeks, returned to record 18 tackles against Miami, then went on injured reserve for the remainder of the season.

After undergoing surgery on the shoulder, Lewis trained religiously at the Ravens' training complex and in his hometown of Lakeland, Fla.

"My grandfather died two months ago and I went back home to take care of my grandmother,'' he said. "I ran from her house to the school, like I used to do as a kid, four or five miles each way. I went back to the basics: I did regular push-ups and regular sit-ups.''

All the while, Lewis focused on returning to the form he displayed when he made the Pro Bowl in five of his first six years.

"I'm hungrier now, knowing I've worked so hard,'' he said. "I'm probably in the best shape of my life. My weight is lower than it's ever been, around 240, and my shoulder is not even a factor now.''

Baltimore went 5-6 in games without Lewis, arguably the best middle linebacker in football today, and missed the playoffs for the first time in three years.

Now that he's back, the Ravens are complete again.

"I've said, only half-kidding, that this is the top free-agent signing of the offseason,'' coach Brian Billick said with a grin. "Ray Lewis is coming back. A practice with Ray Lewis is better than a practice without Ray Lewis.''

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2003/0509/1551587.html