PDA

View Full Version : Good influx right here would go a long way...

acehole
01-08-2009, 09:49 AM
http://buf.scout.com/2/828147.html

<table><tbody><tr><td valign="top"><table bgcolor="#f5f5f5" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="60%"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td valign="center" nowrap="nowrap">By Tyler Dunne (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:location.href=%27http://search.scout.com/a.z?s=24&p=4&c=1&search=1&sskey=%22%27%20+%20escape%28%27Tyler%20Dunne%27%29%20+%20%27%22&sssiteid=24%27;)
BFR Publisher
Posted Jan 7, 2009
</td><td nowrap="nowrap">http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/52/529063.jpg
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Buffalo hasn't boasted a potent tight end in years --- dating back to Pete Metzelaars and Jay Riemersma (left). This off-season, the Bills can acquire one of the best in the NFL. Also in Part II of this series, BFR's Tyler Dunne names one savvy quarterback on the market the Bills should pursue. Full analysis inside...

edited by BMN for Copyright Violation
</td></tr></tbody></table>

justasportsfan
01-08-2009, 09:54 AM
Whats the use? Under this scheme , we'll just end up making Daniels block so that Trent can throw sideways to Lynch anyways. I think Royals got that job covered.

AS long as Garcia has the balls to tell Turk to go fly a kite, I'm all for it. If he's just going to be a "yes sir" qb forgetaboutit.

User Manuel
01-08-2009, 09:56 AM
Ace.... Really, deep down, do you believe that tight end was REALLY the problem the Bills had on offense?

A recieving tight end is a luxury item in the NFL, If I am the Bills I spend all my play money fixing the center position, linebacker and finding a situational pass rusher to help Schobel.

A blank check for Daniels is irresponsible. I am fine with Garcia though. Thats my two cents.

ddaryl
01-08-2009, 10:01 AM
Wow TE is not our #1 priority. I would love Daniels but if we do not get a pass rushing DE and another starter at LB we will be in bad shape...

TE is important and if they can work a way to get Daniels and a Top FA DE or LB then great...

But Peters is going to suck up much of our cash, a top DE or OLB will suck up a lot of cash, and resigning our own plus draft picks will probably suck up the rest. This makes Daniels a tough one to fit in unless Ralph has decided to spend to the cap limit, and throw conservatism out the window.

THATHURMANATOR
01-08-2009, 10:04 AM
Wow TE is not our #1 priority. I would love Daniels but if we do not get a pass rushing DE and another starter at LB we will be in bad shape...

TE is important and if they can work a way to get Daniels and a Top FA DE or LB then great...

But Peters is going to suck up much of our cash, a top DE or OLB will suck up a lot of cash, and resigning our own plus draft picks will probably suck up the rest. This makes Daniels a tough one to fit in unless Ralph has decided to spend to the cap limit, and throw conservatism out the window.
It right up there though.

I would love to get Garcia too.

ddaryl
01-08-2009, 10:05 AM
... and finding a situational pass rusher to help Schobel.

I wouldn't be looking for just a situaitonal pass rusher, I'd be looking for Schobels future replacement and find ways to get Schobel and our new DE on the field together. We need a major upgrade at DE not just a situational guy.

Kelsay and Denney are nothing more then backups

ddaryl
01-08-2009, 10:08 AM
It right up there though.

I would love to get Garcia too.

I agree it should be a top priority, but with so many top priorities we must priorotize our needs. I still think DE and OLB are more important, as is Center.

but if I was the owner I would satisfy all bills fans and get all 4 needs plus look into WR upgrades to boot.

THATHURMANATOR
01-08-2009, 10:09 AM
I agree it should be a top priority, but with so many top priorities we must priorotize our needs. I still think DE and OLB are more important, as is Center.

but if I was the owner I would satisfy all bills fans and get all 4 needs plus look into WR upgrades to boot.
Dont see any reason why all 4 positions can be filled plus a veteran QB.

justasportsfan
01-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Daniels doesn't play in a WCO , does he? Thats we're running here or at least a blend of WCO which is why Garcia would be a perfect fit. We should just get rid of it all together but obviously we won't be getting rid of Mr. Dink and Dunk Turk.

acehole
01-08-2009, 10:24 AM
YEs...we had an post before about the class of 2004 qb's....

All had good Te's but us....

But yes your other point is valid and it all starts in the trenches....but think of the saved time of holding a block when your big time te can get open quick...

Ace.... Really, deep down, do you believe that tight end was REALLY the problem the Bills had on offense?

A recieving tight end is a luxury item in the NFL, If I am the Bills I spend all my play money fixing the center position, linebacker and finding a situational pass rusher to help Schobel.

A blank check for Daniels is irresponsible. I am fine with Garcia though. Thats my two cents.

acehole
01-08-2009, 10:28 AM
I have lobbied for mutiple targets for the last guy...the same holds true.

We talk about Lee evans production...this would help.

wITH s JOHNSON ON THE OTHER SIDE WITH REED/PARish in slot and hardy rotating a guy like daniels would keep deffenses honest enough not to double Lee as much.....possible calm Trent down enough to make the plays he was/is capable of....

madness
01-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Since we're in a thread were Ralph magically decides money is no object... compliment Daniels with Haynesworth and DE doesn't become that big a problem. :D

patmoran2006
01-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Tyler is a good writer, I've worked with him.

BlackMetalNinja
01-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Tyler is a good writer, I've worked with him.Were you trying to compliment him or discredit him! :rofl:

ddaryl
01-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Dont see any reason why all 4 positions can be filled plus a veteran QB.

I do .... RALPH

patmoran2006
01-08-2009, 10:49 AM

I do.. I do think TE is REALLY the problem with the Bills offense.
We need a great TE, not just a decent one. A great TE would open up this offense immensely, would play to Edwards biggest strength (short to medium passing game) and most importantly, it would open up more single coverage on Evans.

now, I"m not saying Owens is worth a blank check, and I think the writer overstated that. However, it is critical in my mind that this team get a great TE. Daniels is by far the creme of the crop in this year's class, and he'd be PERFECT for Trent and this offense; but I really doubt Houston lets him go.

If I was the Bills and really wanted to target him, this is what I'd do.
A) Trade that 11th pick down EARLY. Get a later first round pick and either a second or third, depending on how far they moved down.
B) Then try to sign Owens. You're losing your first rounder, but its not the 11th pick.. By trading it down, you got value for it, and possibly still have a pair of second rounders (center and either DE/LE) ?

The Bills need to hit a home run in the draft.. I think Owens is the equivalant of a Home Run.

Plus, this team cannot rely strictly on the draft, especially in nailing the 11th pick. Our first round history is not very good (whitner, mcargo, losman, mcgahee, williams) so why not take a "sure thing" ?

Regardless, they have to be very active in FA with or without a play for Owens, especially in the front seven.

justasportsfan
01-08-2009, 10:49 AM
I have lobbied for mutiple targets for the last guy...the same holds true.

We talk about Lee evans production...this would help.

wITH s JOHNSON ON THE OTHER SIDE WITH REED/PARish in slot and hardy rotating a guy like daniels would keep deffenses honest enough not to double Lee as much.....possible calm Trent down enough to make the plays he was/is capable of....
more weapons is not going to help when Ds know whats coming. We barely run playaction to confuse D's so there's no point in bringing in more weapons.

We brought in hardy because of his height and we didn't even use him in the endzone.

Bring in Daniels, we'll just make him block.

ddaryl
01-08-2009, 10:55 AM
I am still a firm believer that it all starts in the trenches.

Getting Peters resigned and a big upgrade at Center needs tot happen 1st before we can maximize the talent of a pass catchng TE.

otherwise our pass catching TE is going to be blocking more often then what we paid him for.

but I agree that getting another weapon to force D's to adjust to it is important too. Just not a 1st priority

yordad
01-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Too much to give with our huge needs elsewhere. I like Daniels, but he would pretty much be the entire offseason.

Mahdi
01-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Dont agree. DE is too big a need to be giving away the 11th overall pick for Daniels. This draft is deep at TE. You can easily draft DE at 11 and still get a player that can be as good or better than Daniels in the second round. (Pettigrew, Gresham, Beckum, Coffman, Shawn Nelson)

PECKERWOOD
01-08-2009, 04:22 PM

A recieving TE is pretty important in the WCO, imho. It really opens up the play action. You can send the TE out like he is going to pick up the blitz against a 3-4 defense like say Miami, New England or NY -- have him chip the blitzing defender and then hit him for a pass while he is wide open. I think a recieving TE is what this team needs. We already have our deep threat and ocassional big play WR in Lee --- now let us get a TE who can move the chains.

acehole
01-09-2009, 09:20 AM
A recieving TE is pretty important in the WCO, imho. It really opens up the play action. You can send the TE out like he is going to pick up the blitz against a 3-4 defense like say Miami, New England or NY -- have him chip the blitzing defender and then hit him for a pass while he is wide open. I think a recieving TE is what this team needs. We already have our deep threat and ocassional big play WR in Lee --- now let us get a TE who can move the chains.

eli had Shockey and boss.
Rivers has Gates.
Ben had Jerame Tuman, matt chushing
which were not houshold names but they
were involved in the passing game.

We had squat.

Having a running game an offensive line multiple
weapons the same system and a defense is the
correct formula for developing a young qb in the nfl.
With patients.

Those teams did that...we did not.

We said we are cheap we have multiple hole.....
to top it off will change your coach every year....now go get um tiger!

A TE is a developing qb's best friend.....may of saved Trent his injury...

either by chipping the defender to give him that extra time (As BF said) or getting open quicker as the hot read to be a valve when our threats are covered.

The most important offseason position.....no but it may have saved our starting qb and gotten us 20% more first downs...and last time I checked TE is a "Trenches" position 75% of the time...

So you start at the best and he is the best available....although as pat and others have said...11th may be to high and pats morans trade down idea would work for me....I wanted DE there but why not go and get the best FA DE before the draft also...then we can draft the best available olb at 20 or 21st ....It all starts with a commitiment to win...as I mentioned early on in this post we usually take the easiest way and hope.....