PDA

View Full Version : draftniks chime in...Jermaine Gresham

Mad Max
01-08-2009, 07:53 PM
What I've seen of this guy (only a few games I admit) has been pretty nice. If he declares are there any better than him?

I take him at #11 I think...because I don't think we're going to have a premium DE left there?

X-Era
01-08-2009, 08:19 PM
What I've seen of this guy (only a few games I admit) has been pretty nice. If he declares are there any better than him?

I take him at #11 I think...because I don't think we're going to have a premium DE left there?

Hes the top TE, no doubt, hes a scoring threat every time he touches the ball.

Hes receiver first. Hes not a terrible blocker but its not his strong point either.

At 11? No, I really think its too high. I think he could be huge on this team, I think he would make our offense much much better, but no I just cant see it at 11.

At that point, id rather move down a few spots. If hes the guy we really want, move down to 15-20 range and pick up a pick.

T-Long
01-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Todd McShay has us taking him at #11

evol4276
01-08-2009, 09:38 PM
it kinda seems that this board has wanted an athletic TE whether he could block or not. just a prolific pass catching TE. its not really cared if he can block apparently. in that case, this guy shuld be tops. thats the inpression ive gotten over the years on here, not singling anyone out

Mad Max
01-08-2009, 10:07 PM
this guys singlehandedly keeping OU in this title game...he's a beast, i don't move down one spot and risk losing him. Franchise player.

BILLSROCK1212
01-08-2009, 10:08 PM
it kinda seems that this board has wanted an athletic TE whether he could block or not. just a prolific pass catching TE. its not really cared if he can block apparently. in that case, this guy shuld be tops. thats the inpression ive gotten over the years on here, not singling anyone out
we've already got Robert Royal for that anyway and Derek Schouman and Fine are just fine at blocking as well, no pun intended

Pinkerton Security
01-08-2009, 10:09 PM

we're so sick of all the single-dimension guys, but on the other end of the spectrum, namely Robert Royal: good blockers who cant really receive.

All I want is a stud pass-catching TE who also blocks like a lineman. Is that too much to ask for?

Ya, I have barely even seen Gresham lined up on with a hand on the ground, hes almost always in the slot. Not that he cant block, but I actually think Pettigrew is more of what we need, as he can block better.

PECKERWOOD
01-08-2009, 11:26 PM
I would trade down and take a playmaker like Percy Harvin, while picking up a 2nd round pick in the process. I don't like the idea of taking Gresham in the 1st round when there are 3 other TE's that can be had in the 2nd-3rd round. Pettigrew, Casey and my personal favorite, Coffman the catching machine. Coffman may not have as big play capability as the other guys, but he runs fantastic routes, has soft hands and is a great blocker.

jimbohastle51
01-08-2009, 11:37 PM

after we see what he runs at the combine i probably agree with you, there is a BIG drop off from the few elite pass rushers(top 15) and the good ones (2-3rd rounds). if gresham runs well it is going to be cheaper to draft him at 11 than to make an offer to a guy like owen daniels (who i would love but will be paid like an elite TE). not saying that cheaper is the way to go but unless gresham has a horrible 40 time he has just as much talent if not more than daniels and can easily reach an antonio gates type status.

jimbohastle51
01-08-2009, 11:38 PM
no way gresham gets out of the 1st round if he declares. even with a bad run he will be a late first rounder, he is the best tight end coming out if he declares period.

PECKERWOOD
01-08-2009, 11:53 PM
no way gresham gets out of the 1st round if he declares. even with a bad run he will be a late first rounder, he is the best tight end coming out if he declares period.

Think about it though, if Gresham falls to the late first then that means that Pettigrew will be available in the 2nd. This draft is very deep, I'm not sure how many tills will want to go TE with a bunch of talented players available at important positions.

Tatonka
01-08-2009, 11:55 PM
i have seen him drop some easy passes in other games this year. i would love a great TE.. if he can be a Gates, then i hope he is a bill.. but something about him scares me a little.

jimbohastle51
01-09-2009, 12:50 AM
Think about it though, if Gresham falls to the late first then that means that Pettigrew will be available in the 2nd. This draft is very deep, I'm not sure how many tills will want to go TE with a bunch of talented players available at important positions.

there is a HUGE drop off between gresham and the other TE's in this class, the kid just had 8 catchs for 62 yards and a TD in the national championship game not too mention that his TD was clutch. pettigrew and chase coffman all those guys will be around in the late second and 3rd rounds.

BillsWin
01-09-2009, 01:32 AM
Brandon Pettigrew... more well rounded. better blocker.

PECKERWOOD
01-09-2009, 01:33 AM
there is a HUGE drop off between gresham and the other TE's in this class, the kid just had 8 catchs for 62 yards and a TD in the national championship game not too mention that his TD was clutch. pettigrew and chase coffman all those guys will be around in the late second and 3rd rounds.

Gresham, Pettigrew and Coffman are all very good tight ends, I would say that after those 3 guys there is a huge drop off. Gresham is a luxury pick for a team that doesn't have many holes to fill. We can't afford to go TE in the 1st round. Sign me up for a Pettigrew or Coffman in the 2nd round.

BillsWin
01-09-2009, 01:33 AM
DE at 11. then pick up Pettigrew in the 2nd. that would be a good draft.

X-Era
01-09-2009, 05:54 AM
Brandon Pettigrew... more well rounded. better blocker.

Serious run in with the law... I hope the Bills satisfy themselves that hes not a character problem.

patmoran2006
01-09-2009, 06:50 AM
i have seen him drop some easy passes in other games this year. i would love a great TE.. if he can be a Gates, then i hope he is a bill.. but something about him scares me a little.
REmind ya a bit of last year's OU WR, Malcomb Kelly?

I haven't seen much of him. But I've seen enough of him (Gresham) to want him on this team.

I still think a potential great TE will make both Edwards and Evans significantly better.

DraftBoy
01-09-2009, 07:34 AM
Gresham's issue is laziness...he does not always give his all out on every play. Against Texas in the biggest game of the year to date for Oklahoma he was wide up and instead of running into the endzone for a score, he half assed it, slowed up and almost got caught from behind. He drops easy passes from time to time and loses his focus at the drop of a hat it appears. He's a wonderful TE but there are serious questions about him too.

bigbub2352
01-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Gresham's issue is laziness...he does not always give his all out on every play. Against Texas in the biggest game of the year to date for Oklahoma he was wide up and instead of running into the endzone for a score, he half assed it, slowed up and almost got caught from behind. He drops easy passes from time to time and loses his focus at the drop of a hat it appears. He's a wonderful TE but there are serious questions about him too.

Nowadays there seems to be more players with questions than anything else, i say since we havent addressed the TE position in nearly a decade it is time to roll the dice on this kid, he looked balls out yesterday in the BCS titile game
He has more TDs this season that royal has in the NFL in his career
just saying our O is pathetic take a chance and grab him at 11 address other needs in FA and 2nd rd, no DE in this draft blows me away, they all look like 3-4 LBers to me

madness
01-09-2009, 09:36 AM

The play where he lost his shoe? I thought it was a little lackadaisical myself until I noticed his shoe fell off.

I've heard people also say he looks lazy on tape but it's not at all a reflection of the type of person he is. He keeps to himself, is very humble, stays out of trouble, and is known for a "tireless work ethic". Stoops even compared how hard he works to Adrian Peterson. Never playing TE until college, he had to improve his blocking to compete with a three man TE rotation. Senior TE Joe Jon Finley, when asked about Gresham, was quick to note how you could actually see improvements in his game every week.

Jan Reimers
01-09-2009, 09:37 AM
I'd love a big time, pass catching TE, but I think it's about 6th on our list of critical needs, behind DE (2), LB, C, DT, and 2nd WR. And at least we have Fine and Schouman who still have a chance to develop at TE.

So unless we really stock up in FA, I would be reluctant to go TE at number 11.

madness
01-09-2009, 09:38 AM
Nowadays there seems to be more players with questions than anything else, i say since we havent addressed the TE position in nearly a decade it is time to roll the dice on this kid, he looked balls out yesterday in the BCS titile game
just saying our O is pathetic take a chance and grab him at 11 address other needs in FA and 2nd rd, no DE in this draft blows me away, they all look like 3-4 LBers to me

He also was drawing double coverage last night. Has a Bills TE ever commanded that much attention?

bigbub2352
01-09-2009, 09:49 AM
He also was drawing double coverage last night. Has a Bills TE ever commanded that much attention?

No lol not at all, maybe jay reimersma in 1999

bigbub2352
01-09-2009, 09:53 AM
I'd love a big time, pass catching TE, but I think it's about 6th on our list of critical needs, behind DE (2), LB, C, DT, and 2nd WR. And at least we have Fine and Schouman who still have a chance to develop at TE.

So unless we really stock up in FA, I would be reluctant to go TE at number 11.

I think FA is where we should address OLB, and C with the ******* regime coming back i hate to say it but we r stuck with our trio denney kelsay and schobel
Especially the way the media likes to push that they are effective and that is was all cause Schobel missed time, just like when it was kelsay and Denney being hurt as the excuse years prior, im just sayin this is how i think it will go down

Look at the stupid article with nothign but lies in it about denney having a career year 94 tackles when? 4 sacks? 2 in one game that means he got the other 2 in 15 games sad sad sad just saying with the way thing are going expect no change at DE, we have a terrible scheme and the DEs comin out look like OLBs in a 3-4 scheme hmmm coaches maybe u should look to be changin our scheme since the players arent coming out anymore for the 4-3
just saying

Pinkerton Security
01-09-2009, 10:19 AM
I dont think we should draft a TE at #11. Even if there was an absolute stud, I dont think that TE is a big enough impact position to warrant drafting one that high. Sure, they occupy the middle of the field and can open things up for Lee, but I really think that, especially with our overall lack of talent, that we need to get the absolute biggest playmaker we can get. If thats a TE, cool, get him, but it is rarely the case that a TE is drafted at #11 and there are no better playmakers after him.

DraftBoy
01-09-2009, 10:52 AM
The play where he lost his shoe? I thought it was a little lackadaisical myself until I noticed his shoe fell off.

I've heard people also say he looks lazy on tape but it's not at all a reflection of the type of person he is. He keeps to himself, is very humble, stays out of trouble, and is known for a "tireless work ethic". Stoops even compared how hard he works to Adrian Peterson. Never playing TE until college, he had to improve his blocking to compete with a three man TE rotation. Senior TE Joe Jon Finley, when asked about Gresham, was quick to note how you could actually see improvements in his game every week.

No Im referring to a play v. Texas where he was all alone and had an easy score but ended up jogging to the endzone and about got caught from behind.

Gresham has no character issues what so ever but he does tend to lose focus from time to time. Its a fixable issue but one none the less. We cannot talk about prospects and only sing their praises and not their holes. We need to be fair in our judgement.

madness
01-09-2009, 11:27 AM
No Im referring to a play v. Texas where he was all alone and had an easy score but ended up jogging to the endzone and about got caught from behind.

Gresham has no character issues what so ever but he does tend to lose focus from time to time. Its a fixable issue but one none the less. We cannot talk about prospects and only sing their praises and not their holes. We need to be fair in our judgement.

... and you focused on just the negative in that post. What good is a doctor if he fails to follow his own advice? :D

That play you are referring to exhibits one of the few beefs I have with him. There's a handful of plays that are very similar throughout the year where I feel he steps off the gas too early.

There aren't many holes in his game at this point but if we had this conversation at the beginning of the year, it would have been a different conversation. Besides what I already mentioned, he still is raw needing more experience, vastly needs to improve his run blocking skills (most "receiving" TE's are hesitant to block but he seems to embrace it quite well) and needs to add weight without sacrificing speed to help his blocking and to last physically in the NFL.

HHURRICANE
01-09-2009, 12:15 PM

DE is a high priority but I agree that the draft doesn't have any real slam dunks this year.

I like Gresham as our first pick. Maybe we can trade down and still get him but I wouldn't mind taking him at #11.

Night Train
01-09-2009, 12:21 PM
I'l throw something at the TV if we draft a freakin' so called skill player over a much needed pass rusher in Round 1.

jimbohastle51
01-09-2009, 01:38 PM

your right draftboy, that is why i want to see him run the 40 at the combine and pro day (as i am sure you do) it will be nice to see if he gets himself into "pro shape" (after the season all top players go train imediately for the combine and to look there best for NFL brass) with his size and talent if he runs a decent 40 and gets in better shape or at least maintains (instead of going home after the season and gets lazy) he is every bit worth a 1st round pick (maybe atop 15?)

jimbohastle51
01-09-2009, 01:41 PM
... and you focused on just the negative in that post. What good is a doctor if he fails to follow his own advice? :D

That play you are referring to exhibits one of the few beefs I have with him. There's a handful of plays that are very similar throughout the year where I feel he steps off the gas too early.

There aren't many holes in his game at this point but if we had this conversation at the beginning of the year, it would have been a different conversation. Besides what I already mentioned, he still is raw needing more experience, vastly needs to improve his run blocking skills (most "receiving" TE's are hesitant to block but he seems to embrace it quite well) and needs to add weight without sacrificing speed to help his blocking and to last physically in the NFL. alot of good points but bottom line is he is the best TE in the draft and every expert agrees with that as well as anyone that has watched him play... he could very well be a antonio gates, tony gonzalez type, he has some of the best hands i have ever seen on a college TE and runs good routes and at his size still gets separation from linebackers and safteys, also he is a GREAT redzone threat which we need!!!

jamze132
01-09-2009, 04:45 PM
From watching the game last night, Gresham just seemed lackadaisical to me. I know the stats would say otherwise, but there were some blown assignments in the Gator secondary. I will be upset of we take this guy at #11.

TigerJ
01-09-2009, 07:11 PM
I was impressed with what I saw of him in the BCS game. There are a couple of cautions. First, I understand he has always been split out at Oklahoma and has never played a true tight end position. Second, he has never been asked to block much. If he's smart and dedicated to learning all parts of the game, there's no reason he can't learn that stuff once he gets to the NFL, but he might have to work some at becoming a finished product.

TigerJ
01-09-2009, 07:21 PM
If Buffalo did not take Gresham in the first, the guy I might look at in the second is Jared Cook of South Carolina or Shawn Nelson of Southern Miss. in the 4th.

jamze132
01-10-2009, 02:52 AM
It would be a mistake to take Gresham in the 1st.

PECKERWOOD
01-10-2009, 11:51 AM
It would be a mistake to take Gresham in the 1st.

I would much rather we trade down from #11 and take a guy like Greg Hardy, DE out of Ole Miss late in the 1st round.

jpdex12
01-11-2009, 09:09 PM
I would trade down and take a playmaker like Percy Harvin, while picking up a 2nd round pick in the process. I don't like the idea of taking Gresham in the 1st round when there are 3 other TE's that can be had in the 2nd-3rd round. Pettigrew, Casey and my personal favorite, Coffman the catching machine. Coffman may not have as big play capability as the other guys, but he runs fantastic routes, has soft hands and is a great blocker.

I think we see a very good DE still on the board at #11 but I like your point about the TE position. Pettigrew has had character issues but I have always likes Coffman. He has very good athletic abilities and great hands. Go to youtube and you;ll see vids of him hurdling players after the catch...awesome. He reminds me of a thinner Jason Witten.

jpdex12
01-11-2009, 09:13 PM
Someone quiet under the radar in my mind is Cornellius Ingram from Florida. GReat athletic ability and was hurt this year. He'd be a 5th round pick or later and a project but definetely a talent at the TE position.

TigerJ
01-11-2009, 09:16 PM
I would much rather we trade down from #11 and take a guy like Greg Hardy, DE out of Ole Miss late in the 1st round.

That would certainly be a reasonable strategy. Then you have to decide how far down it would be safe to go without the risk of Hardy getting drafted by someone else. You also have to find a team with a pick in that range wanting to trade up. I think, as a general there are more teams looking to trade down than teams looking to trade up. That tends to skew the market a bit.

X-Era
01-12-2009, 06:01 AM
If Buffalo did not take Gresham in the first, the guy I might look at in the second is Jared Cook of South Carolina or Shawn Nelson of Southern Miss. in the 4th.

Jared Cook is a stud in his own right.

X-Era
01-12-2009, 06:03 AM
I think we see a very good DE still on the board at #11 but I like your point about the TE position. Pettigrew has had character issues but I have always likes Coffman. He has very good athletic abilities and great hands. Go to youtube and you;ll see vids of him hurdling players after the catch...awesome. He reminds me of a thinner Jason Witten.

Thats what Im saying... Hes a virtual Witten clone... physically.