PDA

View Full Version : Great view about a draft pick from a NFL player

patmoran2006
01-09-2009, 02:30 PM
This is from a blog by Brian Jennings, long snapper for the SF 49ers.. I love what he writes here, because this is so true.

"First, no draft pick can single handedly save a franchise. Organizations and fans expect too much from young players. Young players do not save franchises, franchises save young players.

For example, Terrell Suggs, a great player and friend (and fellow Arizona State alumni), was drafted by the Baltimore Ravens. During his rookie year, T. Sizzle's primary responsibility was rushing the passer on third downs. As he improved, under the tutelage of a great defense (coaches and players), he took on more responsibility. Now he's a Pro Bowler and considered one of the best in the NFL. Here is the kicker: had he been drafted by the Arizona Cardinals instead of the Ravens, he would have been Andre Wadsworth. Great college player, big, strong, fast, all the potential in the world., but just did not work out. I have all the respect in the world for Andre Wadsworth�.it's not his fault he got drafted by the Cardinals in the '90s."

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/Problems_With_the_Draft/458620

-------------------------------------------------
This is so true. There are probably so many great talents that 'busted" in part at least because of the franchise that drafted them. I mean honestly, would Tom Brady have been Tom Brady if he was drafted by the Bills and had a string of coaches like Williams, Mularkey and Jauron; or OC's like Fairchild and Turk?

Thurmal
01-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Simeon Rice and Eric Swann seemed to do OK as DE's for Arizona in the '90s.

Also, tons of young players have resurrected franchises.

ddaryl
01-09-2009, 02:44 PM
none the less there are rookie of the year and others who do make huge contributions and start...

patmoran2006
01-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Simeon Rice and Eric Swann seemed to do OK as DE's for Arizona in the '90s.

Also, tons of young players have resurrected franchises.
Agreed.
Just saying the "bust" factor is higher when good talents go to badly run teams.

ddaryl
01-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Agreed.
Just saying the "bust" factor is higher when good talents go to badly run teams.

which re-itterates our cry for better coaches for the Bills, and the argument that better coaches would have had this Bills team in the playoffs this year

Patti120
01-09-2009, 03:30 PM
which re-itterates our cry for better coaches for the Bills, and the argument that better coaches would have had this Bills team in the playoffs this year

C'mon guys, you're not trying to say that JP was the coaches fault are you?

JK! lol!

Thurmal
01-09-2009, 03:53 PM
C'mon guys, you're not trying to say that JP was the coaches fault are you?

JK! lol!
It would be interesting to see how he would've turned out without Mularkey doing everything he could to ruin JP's career.

JP Losman was handled about as poorly as a young QB could be.

Mr. Pink
01-09-2009, 05:05 PM
:rofl:

Go figure an NFL player sticking up for other NFL players.

Good players elevate the play of those around them...regardless of who they have around them. This is why there are league standouts even on bad football teams.

Terrell Suggs would have been a good player no matter where he played....likewise Andre Wadsworth would have been garbage anywhere he played.

Systems don't make the player...players make the system.

Barb
01-10-2009, 05:40 AM
:rofl:

Go figure an NFL player sticking up for other NFL players.

Good players elevate the play of those around them...regardless of who they have around them. This is why there are league standouts even on bad football teams.

Terrell Suggs would have been a good player no matter where he played....likewise Andre Wadsworth would have been garbage anywhere he played.

Systems don't make the player...players make the system.

so last year Joey Porter was out of his natural position and he doesn´t do anything and this year he was in the same system he was used in pittsburgh and what happenend.....17 1/2 sacks, i´m pretty sure that there is some players out there that can make a system, but the more often a system makes a player

SquishDaFish
01-10-2009, 09:15 AM
That has been my argument about JP. Yes he sucked in a Bills uniform but most of that has to do with the ****ty coaches we have had and the amount of coaching changes we have had. Changing systems and playing musical QBs all the time.

Mr. Pink
01-10-2009, 12:27 PM
so last year Joey Porter was out of his natural position and he doesn´t do anything and this year he was in the same system he was used in pittsburgh and what happenend.....17 1/2 sacks, i´m pretty sure that there is some players out there that can make a system, but the more often a system makes a player

When you give a good player freedom to create...you get what Joey Porter did.

It's not just like they coulda put Aaron Shoebel there and had the same results.

If it's the system, then you could plug anyone in and expect the same results...doesn't work that way.

BILLSROCK1212
01-10-2009, 12:43 PM
now can any1 disagree Andre Johnson is friggen amazing look at the team he was drafted to

Mr. Pink
01-10-2009, 01:10 PM
now can any1 disagree Andre Johnson is friggen amazing look at the team he was drafted to

That's exactly my point.

You nailed it.

Great players are great no matter where they play.

BILLSROCK1212
01-10-2009, 01:16 PM
That's exactly my point.

You nailed it.

Great players are great no matter where they play.
ahaha yea....i'm curious though....is Randy Moss great cas if he isn't then what is Daunte Culpepper??

Mr. Pink
01-10-2009, 01:19 PM
ahaha yea....i'm curious though....is Randy Moss great cas if he isn't then what is Daunte Culpepper??

Daunte was a tremendous QB and athlete til he shredded his knee.

Randy can turn it on and off like a switch, if he decided to go all out, all the time...he'd easily be the greatest WR in the history of the NFL.

As it stands he's still top 10.

Ingtar33
01-10-2009, 04:30 PM
good teams draft well.

there are more busts on bad teams because they draft poorly, not because coaching was terrible.

this writer has it backwards. Suggs worked out because he has talent and drive, and the Raven's saw it. Wadsworth didn't.

Night Train
01-11-2009, 05:06 AM

:bf1:

TigerJ
01-11-2009, 06:45 PM
I don't think there is any one right way to bring along a young player. Because everyone is different, that which works for one does not for another. Some might thrive no matter what the circumstances on the team that drafts him. Some might wash out of the league regardless of what the team that drafts him does.

It may be that the odds increase when a team is able to bring a young player along slowly, but the pressure is high on teams to get their highest paid rookies on the field early and often simply because so much money is invested in them so soon. Then when they've been in the league for a few years, they bolt the team that drafted them for a big free agent paycheck.