PDA

View Full Version : Preseason records dont indicate anything!!

mackey789
08-30-2002, 06:57 AM
from cnnsi.com...

Don't judge a team by it's August

Here's yet another reminder why preseason records are largely meaningless: St. Louis (0-3), San Francisco (1-3), Philadelphia (1-2), Chicago (1-2), Oakland (1-2), Miami (1-2) and Pittsburgh (1-2) all have losing records this preseason. Last year, those seven teams all went to the playoffs and combined to win 84 games in the regular season, for an average record of 12-4.

I'd say five of those teams are near locks to make the playoffs again, with a decent chance that all seven will repeat. Want another indication of how deceptive the preseason can be? Baltimore is 2-1. We rest our cas

We all need to chill out and start looking forward to the regular season!!!!

WG
08-30-2002, 07:01 AM
Hey mackey,

Good points. But who's looking at records? I am looking at our inability to have put any pressure at all on the QB except for an isolated instance or two, and more importantly, our seeming inability to either generate a rush or defend against one consisting of backup RBs.

Far more than record that's what has me worried. It's not like there have been flashes of each. They have both been the rule throughout the preseason w/ our first teams.

The only positives seem to be Bledsoe and our STs, which has also had its share of blunders too.

Bledsoe cannot, IMO, carry the team. It's an unreasonable request and expectation. Few QBs can. McNabb is one of those few.

Romes
08-30-2002, 07:08 AM
Wys, you have to consider the fact that coaches don't go out there with gameplans for preseason games. The Bills didn't spend anytime at all during practice preparing specifically for the Lions.

When the Bills rushed, its not like they tried to isolate any of the Lions weaknesses. The preseason is like a pick of game of football with friends and your friends are fighting to keep playing. I'm sure you know this. Don't put too much weight into these games. Like LoG has said before. It is pointless to panic until the real games happen.

mackey789
08-30-2002, 07:10 AM
True but you have to look at how many new faces are on this team. The defense has already progressed since the first preseason game, and our offense will gradually. Penalties are correctable, and the little problems that we have can all be fixed. I have faith in this team....messing up in the preseason is expected. In 9 days they have their first game in the friendly confines of ralph wilson stadium......we will gain confidence. I think we will be just fine.

Romes
08-30-2002, 07:12 AM
that said I don't like it when people make the comparisons to the 1990 bills team that didn't win a pre-season game either because this years Bills are not THAT good and still have much more to prove than the '90 bills

Patrick76777
08-30-2002, 09:42 AM
The D played fine last nite. the bigger concern is developing a running game.

lordofgun
08-30-2002, 09:46 AM
I agree Patrick, but I think the running game will be just fine...as soon as they decide to start running.

doug45
08-30-2002, 10:00 AM
It would have been nice to at least have won one of them just so the team could remember what a win felt like.

TacklingDummy
08-30-2002, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by mackey789
from cnnsi.com...

Don't judge a team by it's August

Here's yet another reminder why preseason records are largely meaningless: St. Louis (0-3), San Francisco (1-3), Philadelphia (1-2), Chicago (1-2), Oakland (1-2), Miami (1-2) and Pittsburgh (1-2) all have losing records this preseason. Last year, those seven teams all went to the playoffs and combined to win 84 games in the regular season, for an average record of 12-4.

The only problem is those teams ALL made the playoffs last year. The Bills were 3-13 last year.

justasportsfan
08-30-2002, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by TacklingDummy

The only problem is those teams ALL made the playoffs last year. The Bills were 3-13 last year.

:redgun:

wys those were good stats coming from Mackey. Don't you like stats?:woot:

Marv levy used the preseason game to see who among the new guys he would hire. Granted that he already had a great core , I still thing we may go 9-7.

I kinda think GW and others are hiding some stuff just so that the Jets can't really scout us well.

lordofgun
08-30-2002, 10:28 AM
Yeah, it would be a shame if the Jets saw us run the ball before the season. That would ruin everything. :D

casdhf
08-30-2002, 10:38 AM
We barely even tried to run :up:

justasportsfan
08-30-2002, 10:50 AM
Miami was the most injury plagued team come playoffs because they always played hard during preseason. Even Thurman Thomas said that Marv's camp was a vacation resort compared to Miami. They pay dearly at the end of the season.

Gw went that road last year and we ended up the leagues most injured team last year. Seems to me that discipline and hard work was his priority last year and this year was "stay healthy".

I really think there's more to what we've seen so far. The best is yet to come.

colin
08-30-2002, 11:08 AM
I think we have not been rushing much and doing nothing interesting on the ground because Gilbride has some wicked ideas to use our GIANT line to smash the small but quick front four of the Jets. We might have the biggest most athletic line in the NFL, give them some time and we will crush our enemies, see them driven before us, and feel the admiration of the women.