PDA

View Full Version : This is disturbing...

BillsWin
01-11-2009, 01:31 PM
"They averaged 30 points per game against 4-3 defenses but just 14 points against 3-4 defenses."

Maybe coaching IS a HUGE issue. We were not coached on how to play against the 3-4... AT ALL!

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/545716.html

ddaryl
01-11-2009, 01:52 PM
I would call our problems vs: the 3-4 much more of a coaching issue then an individual issue...

BillsWin
01-11-2009, 01:55 PM
I would call our problems vs: the 3-4 much more of a coaching issue then an individual issue...

I concur

Mahdi
01-11-2009, 04:40 PM
"They averaged 30 points per game against 4-3 defenses but just 14 points against 3-4 defenses."

Maybe coaching IS a HUGE issue. We were not coached on how to play against the 3-4... AT ALL!

I think in order to be successful against the 3-4 you have to be solid at the C position in order to handle the big NTs, and we play against 3 very good ones 6 times in Wilfork, Jenkins and Ferguson. Clearly thats one of our biggest weaknesses.

Once we upgrade the C position I think we will run the ball better and in turn the passing game will open up.

yordad
01-11-2009, 05:13 PM

Though I miss calculated and counted the 49ers as a 4-3, I made this same point in an article.

LtFinFan66
01-11-2009, 05:28 PM
I am guess that KC plays a 4-3. That 54 or whatever you dropped on them screws up the average big time

yordad
01-11-2009, 07:06 PM
I am guess that KC plays a 4-3. That 54 or whatever you dropped on them screws up the average big timeIt would still be a respectable 26.

Ingtar33
01-11-2009, 08:00 PM
to play good offense vs a 3-4 you need a few things.

1) a QB who can read a zone blitz well
2) an o-line that can block an overload blitz well
3) a center who can get to the 2nd level well, or atleast pass block a NT.

im not sure we have any of the 3... Trent didn't seem to be too uncomfortable with the zone blitzes... so maybe im being unfair to him. But the o-line never handled overload/zone blitzes well, and our centers couldn't either get to the 2nd level, or pass block a nose tackle.

lukabrossi
01-12-2009, 07:21 AM
The coaching sucks. Where have you been, buddy?.......if you've been on this planet for any length of time, you'd have noticed once or twice how ****ty the Bills coaching system is.
I say they should fire everybody......starting from the top on down........and take some pride in the commitment of wining.
**** Buffalo and **** Jauron.

Typ0
01-12-2009, 07:42 AM
The coaching sucks. Where have you been, buddy?.......if you've been on this planet for any length of time, you'd have noticed once or twice how ****ty the Bills coaching system is.
I say they should fire everybody......starting from the top on down........and take some pride in the commitment of wining.
**** Buffalo and **** Jauron.

yet Ingtar gave you specific and player centered examples of why we failed to succeed against a 3-4 defense and all you have to refute is unspecific blanket statements like "the coaching sucks" because you are a whiner and complainer. What could the coaches have done differently to succeed against the 3-4? Here are some things: Get better talent at C. Continue to work to bring TE along. Get another qualified QB on the roster. Increase the OLine depth.

Stop your whining and revolving bus of coaches and give them some time to get these things together.

lukabrossi
01-12-2009, 08:10 AM
....and don't forget about a quarterback who plays scared.

lukabrossi
01-12-2009, 08:12 AM
...and a defensive scheme that lets opponents run a train through it.

lukabrossi
01-12-2009, 08:14 AM
....and an O-line (...the biggest in the league, i might add) that can't hold the line of scrimmage......for their scared quarterback?

lukabrossi
01-12-2009, 08:15 AM
....and a coach that stands lifeless and empty, totally void of emotion or thought on the sidelines?

lukabrossi
01-12-2009, 08:17 AM
...and an owner that is too, too cheap to fix the problems, but a band-aid will do nicely.....for yet another year?

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-12-2009, 08:34 AM
...and the stupid fan named luka.

lukabrossi
01-12-2009, 08:36 AM
????????????????????

justasportsfan
01-12-2009, 08:39 AM
to play good offense vs a 3-4 you need a few things.

1) a QB who can read a zone blitz well
2) an o-line that can block an overload blitz well
3) a center who can get to the 2nd level well, or atleast pass block a NT.

im not sure we have any of the 3... Trent didn't seem to be too uncomfortable with the zone blitzes... so maybe im being unfair to him. But the o-line never handled overload/zone blitzes well, and our centers couldn't either get to the 2nd level, or pass block a nose tackle.

you forgot to mention playcalling. All I heard from the coaches early on is that Trents biggest strength is reading defenses. If he blows at it then we need to ask what were the coaches thinking?

Trent himself said that D's gave them a different look they did not practice for during the week. Thats a coaching problem.

lukabrossi
01-12-2009, 08:41 AM
I just call it the way i see it. I'm not gonna bull**** you guys and i won't put on a facade, like the front office of the Bills. I ain't gonna lie to you and tell you what you wanna hear, my friends.......i just tell it the way it is.......and i think the Bills organization should treat the fans with the same courtesy and respect.
I have spoken.

Pinkerton Security
01-12-2009, 10:05 AM
????????????????????

hes referring to you.

bigbub2352
01-12-2009, 10:56 AM
I just call it the way i see it. I'm not gonna bull**** you guys and i won't put on a facade, like the front office of the Bills. I ain't gonna lie to you and tell you what you wanna hear, my friends.......i just tell it the way it is.......and i think the Bills organization should treat the fans with the same courtesy and respect.
I have spoken.

Got some good points, and all of them in my opinion on spot on... time is something they have had for 9yrs
Coaching is a big part of this only cause they are the ones putting these players on the feild who cant play against a 3-4, they signed them they drafted them
so who is to blame then after 3 7-9 seasons?
seriously?

justasportsfan
01-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Got some good points, and all of them in my opinion on spot on... time is something they have had for 9yrs
Coaching is a big part of this only cause they are the ones putting these players on the feild who cant play against a 3-4, they signed them they drafted them
seriously?

according to some people here. it's the fault of the players they selected.

Typ0
01-12-2009, 11:58 AM
seriously?

make up your mind...is it 9 years or 3 years?

yordad
01-12-2009, 12:04 PM
hes referring to you.I don't think this is Luka's first message board. Interesting approach, or so I thought.

jamze132
01-12-2009, 02:07 PM
A decent C would go a long way towards not sucking as much versus the 3-4. But I do agree that our coaches don't put our players in the best position to be successful against a 3-4.

We should be running right up the gut and using more misdirections against those types of defenses and calling more pass plays that find or create weak spots in the zone defense. Overloading one side of the field usually creates a hole find an open receiver.

It seems to me we run they same BS each week regardless of what type of defense we are facing.

Ingtar33
01-12-2009, 04:46 PM
I'm not saying that coaching isn't an issue.

When i coach against a 3-4 i like to balance the field. In many ways you can attack a 3-4 like you attack a 46. you balance the field with a 2 TEs and 1 RB look, use a little motion to get a good feel for the coverage and who's blitzing, then you line up and punch them in the nose with your ground game.

The trick to good offensive coaching it making the defense react to you. When you're reacting to the defense you're in trouble.

when you can draw the SS down into the box, you can start to run your Play action game to devastating effect.

lukabrossi
01-13-2009, 07:31 AM
It was the coaches who put these players in place. Now, wether they were the right players is still debateable and completely up in the air, as we are learning that week in and week out.
Is it the players?....is it the coaches?......probably a little of both, with a little bit of Ralph in the mix.
But from the words of the immortal Marv Levy...."....if i clap my hands, which hand makes the actual noise?...the left?...the right?...or both?"

It's hard witnessing this team self-destruct year in and year out.
I personally blame the coaches. It's their job to get this team prepared each week and they are responsible and accountable for the actions. In a "real" franchise, the inept coaching would have been dealt with by a firing or two, but in Buffalo, it is rewarded with a contract.

"...don't blame the student, when the teacher is to blame".

justasportsfan
01-13-2009, 09:25 AM
The trick to good offensive coaching it making the defense react to you. When you're reacting to the defense you're in trouble.

especially when the defense shows you something you didn't practice for all week. Might as well not show up for the game and prevent injuries.

Typ0
01-13-2009, 09:57 AM
It was the coaches who put these players in place. Now, wether they were the right players is still debateable and completely up in the air, as we are learning that week in and week out.
Is it the players?....is it the coaches?......probably a little of both, with a little bit of Ralph in the mix.
But from the words of the immortal Marv Levy...."....if i clap my hands, which hand makes the actual noise?...the left?...the right?...or both?"

It's hard witnessing this team self-destruct year in and year out.
I personally blame the coaches. It's their job to get this team prepared each week and they are responsible and accountable for the actions. In a "real" franchise, the inept coaching would have been dealt with by a firing or two, but in Buffalo, it is rewarded with a contract.

"...don't blame the student, when the teacher is to blame".

I agree it is both parties...but the players are the ones playing and they need to execute what they are being asked to do. It's pretty clear they don't do that when we lose. When they start doing that then it will be much clearer the coaches are that bad. And that's not a cover up for coaching errors but the things that are evident from them is the system of getting plays in is bad and they can't make decisions fast enough. Those things are systemic and can be fixed!

Also, be careful because I'm not so sure the staff is responsible for the players we have. Didn't we hear last year how the staff puts together a draft board and then RW tells them who to pick? We also have many examples of his telling them who to play.

lukabrossi
01-13-2009, 10:34 AM
I understand that Ralph is probably calling the shots with who may or may not be starting or with regards to who is signed and brought in as a free agent. It is his team, after all.....and why wouldn't he want the final say? But i still think that the coaches should stand up and voice their opinions and actually stand by their convictions. The coaches are the one in the trenches every day and they are the ones in the midst of the gridiron battles. They should be able to spot the problems or potential in the players on any given team. They are right in the middle of it.....and i believe that if they have something to say to Ralph about cetain aspects about the team, then they should voice it. Now, i know it sounds easier said than done and the way that i have written it, makes things sound soooooooooooooooooooo much simpler, but i'm no expert and i just see it the way that i see it.
It appears to me that if the coaching took an active role and were a little more out-going, then this team may have a chance yet.

justasportsfan
01-13-2009, 10:41 AM
I agree it is both parties...but the players are the ones playing and they need to execute what they are being asked to do.. How come the pats can execute with their back ups and we can't? How come Leonard can execute somewhere else and he couldn't here? Save the supporting cast excuse because Dick had a hand in the supporting cast on this team.

Bottom line, it's the coaches job to make sure he has the right players on the field that can exectute. If the qb couldn't execute than why did the coach annoint him the qb?

Typ0
01-13-2009, 12:20 PM
I understand that Ralph is probably calling the shots with who may or may not be starting or with regards to who is signed and brought in as a free agent. It is his team, after all.....and why wouldn't he want the final say? But i still think that the coaches should stand up and voice their opinions and actually stand by their convictions. The coaches are the one in the trenches every day and they are the ones in the midst of the gridiron battles. They should be able to spot the problems or potential in the players on any given team. They are right in the middle of it.....and i believe that if they have something to say to Ralph about cetain aspects about the team, then they should voice it. Now, i know it sounds easier said than done and the way that i have written it, makes things sound soooooooooooooooooooo much simpler, but i'm no expert and i just see it the way that i see it.
It appears to me that if the coaching took an active role and were a little more out-going, then this team may have a chance yet.

I believe they are professionals and they do voice their opinions. And I believe RW listens to them...then he tells them his opinion and they do what he says. That's the way any organization works. Don't you tell your boss how you feel? Have you ever had them listen and then tell you to do contrary to what you feel is right? What do you do? You listen to your boss. For example, let's say DJ told RW two years ago that JP wasn't going to make it and RW said "sorry, we have a lot invested in him go out there and teach him how to make it". And they tried but nothing changed in JP. Now, it's more evident to RW that JP is a bust. And his contract is up so he's going to let him go. But still, RW was the impetus to JP playing and even being on the team. DJ was just a manager working with what he was given and trying to make it as successful as he could. I'm not reaching that much here as we have seen through the years this is exactly how the organization is run.

justasportsfan
01-13-2009, 12:36 PM
For example, let's say DJ told RW two years ago that JP wasn't going to make it and RW said "sorry, we have a lot invested in him go out there and teach him how to make it". And they tried but nothing changed in JP. Now, it's more evident to RW that JP is a bust. And his contract is up so he's going to let him go. But still, RW was the impetus to JP playing and even being on the team. thats not what happened. But good example.