PDA

View Full Version : Improved Bills D lacked big plays

shelby
01-12-2009, 07:49 AM
Big plays were the big shortcoming of the Buffalo Bills' defense in 2008.
If the Bills had made a few more quarterback sacks or taken the ball away a little more, they easily could have been a top 12-defense in the NFL.
The Bills finished 14th in the NFL in both yards allowed and points allowed. That was a big improvement from 2007, when the Bills were 31st in yards allowed and 18th in points allowed.
However, the No. 14 ranking does not tell the whole story.
The Bills were not truly a top-half-of-the-league defense, because they tied for 28th in sacks and tied for 20th in takeaways.
"I'd say our run front is shored up to a degree," said defensive end Chris Kelsay. "Obviously one thing we need is to generate more pressure on the quarterback. I'm sure we'll take steps this offseason to get that accomplished, whether it's the draft or free agency, or with the guys we have here."
Dominant defenses make big plays. The Bills combined for 46 sacks and takeaways. That ranked tied for 29th — third from the bottom.
Nine of the 12 teams that made the playoffs ranked among the top 12 in defensive "big plays." Pittsburgh combined for 80 sacks and takeaways, Philadelphia 77 and Tennessee 75.
The Bills need more pass rush from the defensive line and more ball-hawking from the secondary.
Obviously, the loss of sack leader Aaron Schobel for the last 11 games was a huge blow. His replacement, Ryan Denney, shared the team sack lead with linebacker Kawika Mitchell. Both had four sacks. It was the Bills' lowest team-leading sack total since sacks became an official statistic in 1982. Kelsay had just two sacks.
Of the Bills' 24 sacks, 17 came on plays in which they blitzed, according to Buffalo News figures. There were just seven sacks with a straight, four-man rush.

more... (http://www.buffalonews.com/494/story/546585.html)

ddaryl
01-12-2009, 08:39 AM
yes they did... and have for a long time, not just last year.

consistent pressure from the front 4 is a must, once we accomplish that the big plays will follow more regulalry

justasportsfan
01-12-2009, 08:48 AM
"I'd say our run front is shored up to a degree," said defensive end Chris Kelsay. "Obviously one thing we need is to generate more pressure on the quarterback. I'm sure we'll take steps this offseason to get that accomplished, whether it's the draft or free agency, or with the guys we have here."

after 3 years "we need to get better at this and that". The Capt. of the D is starting to talk like the HC. After 3 years, we're all talk with no results.

bigbub2352
01-12-2009, 10:53 AM
playmakes, pass rush, just to name a few

jamze132
01-12-2009, 02:23 PM
I'm so sick of Kelsay running his mouth about having to get better at this and that. ****ing do it! And how can he say "our line is pretty shored up". Is he high on dillweed? He is THE weakest link on that line.

yordad
01-12-2009, 04:00 PM
I'm so sick of Kelsay running his mouth about having to get better at this and that. ****ing do it! And how can he say "our line is pretty shored up". Is he high on dillweed? He is THE weakest link on that line.LOL, That is why he said it. What did you want him to say, "Well, as soon as they replace me with a much better player they should be alright"?

patmoran2006
01-12-2009, 04:14 PM
yes they did... and have for a long time, not just last year.

consistent pressure from the front 4 is a must, once we accomplish that the big plays will follow more regulalry
While I certainly agree with you that the front 4 is a must, I'm going to have to disagree that fixing that alone is going to make us a big play defense.

Truth is, we dont have many playmakers on defense; guys that will get a ton of sacks, or force fumbles or get interceptions.

Leodis McKelvin is the one guy in the secondary I think with prime time big play potential. I could see him really developing into a star (I hope at least)

in the right system, I could see Mitchell getting 7-8 sacks over a full season and making a few int's.

But that's it. I dont think McGee is much of a big play corner, and I sure as hell dont think Donte has a nose for the football, despite what his supporters on here would like to believe.

The front four is the most important I agree, but they need more than that.

You could put Haynesworth and Peppers here, and its not going to make Ellison, Scott and Whitner playmakers.

ddaryl
01-13-2009, 08:22 AM
While I certainly agree with you that the front 4 is a must, I'm going to have to disagree that fixing that alone is going to make us a big play defense.

I wouldn't fix it alone, but I sure as hell would spend more time focusing on the DL and the OL and maintaining it.

If we had a constant consistent rush form our DL's front 4 our playmakers would make plays, but since every team in the league can handle our front 4 with little trouble it allows oppsing teams to divert resources towards stymiing our potential playmakers.

You could put Haynesworth and Peppers here, and its not going to make Ellison, Scott and Whitner playmakers.

I do disagree with the thought of putting haynesworth and Peppers on our DL and it NOT having and effect on players like McGee or Ellison. ALthough I don't beleive McGee is great nor Ellison I do beleive that a major disprupting force of players liek Hayebsworht and Pepper would make it a little easier for the resst of the team to be more effective and make plays.

Pinkerton Security
01-13-2009, 08:28 AM
I love how Kelsay says "through FA or the draft, or through the players we have here". ummm....what the hell are you and schobel going to do this offseason that is going to dramatically improve our pass rush??? because dramatic improvement for them will be 6 sacks each. we better not leave the D-line as it is, or i am gonne just flip a lid. not that i think kelsay's words mean anything, i just hope and pray we address this need.

yordad
01-13-2009, 12:29 PM
I think if we had Haynesworth and Peppers our secondary would be one of the best. Actually, I would predict a SB! Well, actually we would still have our coaching staff so nevermind.

justasportsfan
01-13-2009, 12:38 PM
I love how Kelsay says "through FA or the draft, or through the players we have here". ummm....what the hell are you and schobel going to do this offseason that is going to dramatically improve our pass rush??? because dramatic improvement for them will be 6 sacks each. we better not leave the D-line as it is, or i am gonne just flip a lid. not that i think kelsay's words mean anything, i just hope and pray we address this need.
Forget Schobel at least he was stout against the run. Kelsay should look at himself first.

jamze132
01-13-2009, 01:12 PM
LOL, That is why he said it. What did you want him to say, "Well, as soon as they replace me with a much better player they should be alright"?
Yes. It's accountability. If you suck, you know you suck so do what you gotta do to get better.

yordad
01-13-2009, 01:18 PM
Yes. It's accountability. If you suck, you know you suck so do what you gotta do to get better.It's all about the Benjamins baby. If he said that, he would be obligated to give some back.

lukabrossi
01-14-2009, 08:02 AM
This defense needs playmakers and leaders. It looks like most games, the D plays as if they have nothing to play for.