Clear All
  • Bill Cody
    • Sep 2004

Draft Defense

Of the 4 teams left:

Pitt #1 rated defense
    Baltimore #2 rated defense
    Philadelphia #3 rated defense

Add to that the Buffalo climate which can make counting on offense to win risky at best and it says we need to draft D until we have the talent level of the 3 teams above. People can talk about coaching and it's a factor but if anyone wants to argue we have the talent level of those 3 teams they are clueless. Getting that talent has to be job 1. Is Modrak up to the challenge? Doesn't look like it does it? We need to upgrade our talent evaluators before we worry about who the coach is.
  • BuffaloBillsStampede
    • Aug 2005

Re: Draft Defense

One thing they all have in common is they blitz the hall out of the QB. Do we ever blitz? Mitchell is perfect for blitzing and I think POZ is pretty good there too, but we use them completely wrong.
    SUPER MARIO PLEASE COME TO BUFFALO!!!!

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DrewBlueFan
      Of the 4 teams left:

Pitt #1 rated defense
      Baltimore #2 rated defense
      Philadelphia #3 rated defense

you need coaches.
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Bill Cody
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by justasportsfan
        you need coaches.
        We have no pass rush. Great defenses can get pressure without blitzing, and can get extreme pressure with blitzing. We get no pressure without blitzing and even with blitzing it's not great. Scheme is important but you've got to have the talent. We need pass rushers. Or are you saying Lebeau or Johnson could come to Buffalo and turn our collection of white DE's into a top 5 D? Ridiculous.

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

We have no pass rush. Great defenses can get pressure without blitzing, and can get extreme pressure with blitzing. We get no pressure without blitzing and even with blitzing it's not great. Scheme is important but you've got to have the talent. We need pass rushers. Or are you saying Lebeau or Johnson could come to Buffalo and turn our collection of white DE's into a top 5 D? Ridiculous.
          I agree.

Dick Lebeau did that when he was here . He made our D tops. When he went back to Pitts , he made their D no. 1.
          sacrifice1

Comment

• Bill Cody
            • Sep 2004

I agree.

Dick Lebeau did that when he was here . He made our D tops. When he went back to Pitts , he made their D no. 1.
            So we have as good players on D as Pitt? Tell me you're joking please.

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

So we have as good players on D as Pitt? Tell me you're joking please.
              Did I say that? NO.

Why don't we have better players than they do or at least close to it when our coaches had 3 years to do so ? Who decided to start Ko Simpson or keep Wilson and get rid of Jim Leonard? Leonard may not be a Palumalu but he seems to be doing better than any of our safeties .

Who decided to keep Kelsay and pay him that huge amount? I'm sure Dick had a hand in that.

One things for sure, they have better coaches than we do. Our Dick couldn't hold their Dicks jock.
              sacrifice1

Comment

• Bill Cody
                • Sep 2004

Did I say that? NO.

Why don't we have better players than they do or at least close to it when our coaches had 3 years to do so ? Who decided to start Ko Simpson or keep Wilson and get rid of Jim Leonard? Leonard may not be a Palumalu but he seems to be doing better than any of our safeties .

Who decided to keep Kelsay and pay him that huge amount? I'm sure Dick had a hand in that.

One things for sure, they have better coaches than we do. Our Dick couldn't hold their Dicks jock.
                We don't have the talent now we had when Lebeau was here, you know that. I agree great coaching helps. But at the end of the day you still can't turn chicken **** into chicken salad. Our safeties or corners will never look great until we add some pressure players, period.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

We don't have the talent now we had when Lebeau was here, you know that. I agree great coaching helps. But at the end of the day you still can't turn chicken **** into chicken salad. Our safeties or corners will never look great until we add some pressure players, period.
                  I don't disagree with that. My problem is that I doubt the brains behind this team are able to make proper judgement in choosing the right talent if our talent now supposedly sucks.

the brains of this team including the coaches had 3 years to build this team. We reggressed. They are slowly making Donahoes decisions look competent. If our talent sucks then whos to blame for bringing them in? Whos' to say they won't make the same mistake in this years draft?

Who decided to get rid of the talent from Donahoe's era?
                  sacrifice1

Comment

• BuffaloBillsStampede
                    • Aug 2005

I really want to switch to a 3-4 defense, and I would be willing to sit through a couple rebuilding years to do so. It just seems like the 3-4 is way more disruptive than most other defenses and especially the cover 2 which has got to be the worst defense. Cover 2 pretty much means if you dont create a turnover then you might as well give them at least 3 points per drive.
                    SUPER MARIO PLEASE COME TO BUFFALO!!!!

Comment

• Bill Cody
                      • Sep 2004

I don't disagree with that. My problem is that I doubt the brains behind this team are able to make proper judgement in choosing the right talent if our talent now supposedly sucks.

the brains of this team including the coaches had 3 years to build this team. We reggressed. They are slowly making Donahoes decisions look competent.
                      Coaches don't draft. If we drafted as well as NE or Philly or NYG or Pitt we'd be sniffing the playoffs even with so so Jauron. Let Parcells run this team for a year and we'd be in the hunt.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

Coaches don't draft. If we drafted as well as NE or Philly or NYG or Pitt we'd be sniffing the playoffs even with so so Jauron. Let Parcells run this team for a year and we'd be in the hunt.

Coaches don't draft but they do have input or they have no business being at the combine.

They don't draft but they sure can turn a very inexperienced qb in Cassel into a better qb than Trent just like they were able to make their depleted rb stable no. 6 in the NFL and yet we end up no 14 only because Lynch is able to move the ball with 3-4 defenders riding on his back.
                        sacrifice1

Comment

• jamze132
                          Don’t hate…
                          • Jun 2003

I would like to say that considering the elements that the Bills play in during the winter months, defense should be the #1 part of our team. The cover 2 needs to go away. Period. I would like to run a 3-4 as most QBs in the NFL don't have their best games against consistently.

I do think we need to draft with a "defense first" attitude right now as well as make key acquisitions through FA to build the best defense possible.

Defense wins championships.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                            • Sep 2004

Coaches don't draft but they do have input or they have no business being at the combine.

They don't draft but they sure can turn a very inexperienced qb in Cassel into a better qb than Trent just like they were able to make their depleted rb stable no. 6 in the NFL and yet we end up no 14 only because Lynch is able to move the ball with 3-4 defenders riding on his back.
                            Cassell is a good player. If and when NE is satisfied that Brady can play next year they will trade him and get a #1 pick back and rightly so. Bill Bellichick handled his own drafts in Cleveland and he got fired. He has had a lot of help from Pioli in NE.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by jamze132
                              Defense wins championships.
                              Agreed.

Originally posted by jamze132
                              I would like to say that considering the elements that the Bills play in during the winter months, defense should be the #1 part of our team. The cover 2 needs to go away. Period. I would like to run a 3-4 as most QBs in the NFL don't have their best games against consistently.

I do think we need to draft with a "defense first" attitude right now as well as make key acquisitions through FA to build the best defense possible. .
                              It's not going away which is why it's useless to draft a stud player when the system sucks.
                              sacrifice1

Comment

Working...
                              X