PDA

View Full Version : Let's see what that genius Polian does

ghz in pittsburgh
01-12-2009, 12:56 PM
Don't get me wrong. I believe Polian is as good as they come as a telant evaluator. But I think he has that certain ego about him as well.

I can almost bet that he won't let Cowher or Parcells be the coach there.

Ironically had Belichick be available, he'd fit there to a perfection.

Anyway, it's interesting to see what happens there. Having Peyton Manning as your QB is certainly very enticing - also a lot of pressure. I'm wondering if Shanahan is re-thinking about his retirement now.

Stewie
01-12-2009, 12:57 PM
the job was slated for Jim Caldwell years ago

http://www.indystar.com/article/20090112/SPORTS03/90112023

Tony Dungy has decided to retire after seven record-setting seasons with the Indianapolis Colts, a source within the organization said. He will be succeeded by associate head coach Jim Caldwell.

PECKERWOOD
01-12-2009, 01:04 PM
Dungy & Polian have been grooming Caldwell to be the coach.

TacklingDummy
01-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Don't get me wrong. I believe Polian is as good as they come as a telant evaluator. But I think he has that certain ego about him as well.

Having Manning, Harrison, Freeney, Sanders, Wayne, Clark, Saturday on the roster will help any coach look good.

I think it's safe to say even Dick Jauron would get to the playoffs having that talent on the roster.

justasportsfan
01-12-2009, 02:07 PM
I'll take Polians ego over Ralphy's anyday.

justasportsfan
01-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Having Manning, Harrison, Freeney, Sanders, Wayne, Clark, Saturday on the roster will help any coach look good.

I think it's safe to say even Dick Jauron would get to the playoffs having that talent on the roster.

but I doubt he'll ever win a sb.

He'll turn Manning and co. into a conservative O.

DynaPaul
01-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Regardless of the coach Polian will still be putting together more solid drafts in the future.

RockStar36
01-12-2009, 02:43 PM
I'm so glad people people post without knowing the proper information.

Mr. Pink
01-12-2009, 03:52 PM
I'm so glad people people post without knowing the proper information.

But it makes it fun.

I thought everyone knew for years Caldwell was being groomed to succeed Dungy, honestly.

Ingtar33
01-12-2009, 04:25 PM

I can almost bet that he won't let Cowher or Parcells be the coach there.

Ironically had Belichick be available, he'd fit there to a perfection.

Anyway, it's interesting to see what happens there. Having Peyton Manning as your QB is certainly very enticing - also a lot of pressure. I'm wondering if Shanahan is re-thinking about his retirement now.

this is a joke right.

you do know Polian has built every aspect of that team, drafting manning and getting Dungy.

You're talking like Polian lucked into this success.

Here's a cute tidbit for you. The Colts team that won the superbowl had just 3 free agents on the squad. Count them, 3 players who were not drafted by Indianapolis.

Polian is possibly the best scout/talent evaluator the NFL has ever seen, and he's kept his teams together even with the salary cap, for over a decade.

i know you meant to use "genius" as a pejorative, but in this case it's accurate. He is brilliant.

Devin
01-12-2009, 06:14 PM
this is a joke right.

you do know Polian has built every aspect of that team, drafting manning and getting Dungy.

You're talking like Polian lucked into this success.

Here's a cute tidbit for you. The Colts team that won the superbowl had just 3 free agents on the squad. Count them, 3 players who were not drafted by Indianapolis.

Polian is possibly the best scout/talent evaluator the NFL has ever seen, and he's kept his teams together even with the salary cap, for over a decade.

i know you meant to use "genius" as a pejorative, but in this case it's accurate. He is brilliant.

No kidding I was a little surprised when I read the first post.

I echo Ing's statement, Polian is one of the greatest football minds ever. I take great comfort in even being able to say he was at one time a buffalo bill.

The Colts will not miss a beat, and as long as he is there that team will be very talented.

Night Train
01-12-2009, 07:10 PM
but I doubt he'll ever win a sb.

He'll turn Manning and co. into a conservative O.

Right.

Like he might not completely defer to the OC Tom Moore, who has been there for years. The same guy Dungy was forced to accept. ( Lucky Dungy ).

Moore & Manning run that O, much like Marchibroda & Kelly once ran ours. Marv basically nodded and stayed out of the way, showing his true smarts.

Caldwell should do the same, if he values his employment.

OpIv37
01-12-2009, 07:25 PM
The Colts will eventually have to rebuild just like every other team. The current team has a few good years left, but some key pieces (ie Manning and Harrison) are getting old and Dungy's departure will probably slightly accelerate their "demise."

That being said, with Polian in charge, they rebuilding period will probably be one 6-10 season followed by an 8-8 season then a wild card the following year.

BlackMetalNinja
01-12-2009, 07:32 PM
I'm just wondering how long we have to wait before we can start the let's get Dungy to coach the Bills discussion fired up!

RockStar36
01-12-2009, 07:33 PM
The Colts are a good team and a well run franchise so they will be able to make up for key veterans getting old. When someone like Harrison retires or fades away, they will sign someone like TJ Whosyourmama to replace him.

Night Train
01-12-2009, 07:34 PM
I'm just wondering how long we have to wait before we can start the let's get Dungy to coach the Bills discussion fired up!

He's supposed to be offered some sort of position by Obama, from what I'm reading from various news services. His football days seem done.

The Jokeman
01-12-2009, 07:43 PM
The Colts are a good team and a well run franchise so they will be able to make up for key veterans getting old. When someone like Harrison retires or fades away, they will sign someone like TJ Whosyourmama to replace him.
Anthony Gonzalez enters his third year next year, usually the year when WRs are reaching full understanding of the NFL don't be shocked if he starts over Marvin. That said it wouldn't be shocking to see the Colts draft a WR in Round 1 of the forthcoming draft either.

Mad Max
01-13-2009, 12:33 AM
I'll take Polians ego over Ralphy's senility anyday.

fixed

realdealryan
01-13-2009, 07:55 AM
Anthony Gonzalez enters his third year next year, usually the year when WRs are reaching full understanding of the NFL don't be shocked if he starts over Marvin. That said it wouldn't be shocking to see the Colts draft a WR in Round 1 of the forthcoming draft either.

Marvin's not returning to the Colts next year.

lukabrossi
01-13-2009, 08:21 AM
Polian is quite arguably the greatest football genius to ever come into contact with this league. The sport is much better off to have ever witnessed his brilliance.

EDS
01-13-2009, 09:18 AM

You are missing Polian's usual MO: He will fill the position through the draft.

streetkings01
01-13-2009, 10:06 AM
Manning was in Indy before Dungy......Manning is the reason Dungy was so succesful. Dungy's defenses in Indy have been horrible since he's been there....Indy's offenses have been great since he's been there!

Jeff1220
01-13-2009, 10:17 AM
Manning was in Indy before Dungy......Manning is the reason Dungy was so succesful. Dungy's defenses in Indy have been horrible since he's been there....Indy's offenses have been great since he's been there!

How did Mora do with the same team ("Playoffs...playoffs...don't talk about playoffs")? You could also argue that Gruden took a Dungy-built team to SB vistory with Tampa. Just as Gruden was what Tampa needed to get over the hump, Dungy was what Indy needed to make it as well.