PDA

View Full Version : Broderick Bunkley

Kenny
01-12-2009, 02:02 PM
We all know that Ngata > Whitner.

But would you have picked Bunkley instead? Watching the game yesterday, he looked pretty effective. Not sure if it's because of the scheme or not, but it's looking like we made another mistake here.

That being said, any of you guys surprised with the Titans. Looking back, they havent exactly had strong drafts either.
Ben Troupe, Adam Jones, Vince Young, Chris Henry, etc... Goes to show you what coaching can do for you despite a team's talent.

PECKERWOOD
01-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Do you think our FO has learned their lesson yet? We will probably take Malcolm Jenkins another CB from OSU next year. lol, or get a load of this! We will draft a 3rd round rated FS at #11 when Taylor Mays is still on the board because he doesn't fit our scheme!!

Lexwhat
01-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Bunkley had a rough start to his career, but he's worked hard and is a great physical player now (IMO).

The Eagles love to draft linemen (O and D) with their early-round draft picks, and it's a big reason they are so successful.

I see them going OT with one of their 1st rounders this year (they have two).

ddaryl
01-12-2009, 02:15 PM
The Eagles love to draft linemen (O and D) with their early-round draft picks, and it's a big reason they are so successful.

the game is won and lost in the trenches

justasportsfan
01-12-2009, 02:37 PM
Who was it that didn't fit our system. Ngata or Bunkley? Too bad Whitner doesn't either.

PECKERWOOD
01-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Who was it that didn't fit our system. Ngata or Bunkley? Too bad Whitner doesn't either.

They said that Ngata didn't fit our scheme... What strikes me as kind of funny though is that Ngata has more career interceptions than Whitner.

justasportsfan
01-12-2009, 02:55 PM
They said that Ngata didn't fit our scheme... What strikes me as kind of funny though is that Ngata has more career interceptions than Whitner.
:ill:

Lexwhat
01-12-2009, 03:08 PM

:rofl:

superbills
01-12-2009, 03:13 PM

Well that stands to reason since Whitner is a huge, powerful tackler who is so intimidating that QB's are afraid to throw his way. On the other hand, Ngata is a ball-hawk Nose Tackle whose deft moves make him a surprisingly effective pass defender who's always a threat to return an INT to the house...

[/sarcasm]

PECKERWOOD
01-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Well that stands to reason since Whitner is a huge, powerful tackler who is so intimidating that QB's are afraid to throw his way. On the other hand, Ngata is a ball-hawk Nose Tackle whose deft moves make him a surprisingly effective pass defender who's always a threat to return an INT to the house...

[/sarcasm]

Oh!! You were being sarcastic!? I could never tell. :rofl:

Mr. Pink
01-12-2009, 03:47 PM
But instead of Bunkley/Ngata/Cutler we got a playmaking Safety who excels at ummm oops...well, excels at running his mouth, getting run over and tackling guys eight yards deep in the endzone.

Nice legacy that Whitner is starting to acquire!

justasportsfan
01-12-2009, 03:49 PM
...well, excels at running his mouth, getting run over and tackling guys eight yards deep in the endzone.

yeah, Dick loves him too.

venis2k1
01-12-2009, 05:12 PM
its no secret that going into the 07 season we need a young DT bad...Why do you think we traded all those picks to move back into the first round to get McCargo??? Sigh.

Kenny
01-12-2009, 06:19 PM
But instead of Bunkley/Ngata/Cutler we got a playmaking Safety who excels at ummm oops...well, excels at running his mouth, getting run over and tackling guys eight yards deep in the endzone.

Well to be fair... picking Cutler would have been a stupid move at that time. It's easy to look back and say Cutler > Losman, but at that point in time no one knew.

But the Ngata and Bunkley picks just made too much sense. I still remember when Boomer made that announcement that the taxi cab driver told him to expect a 'surprise' pick I was thinking 'Oh ****!'...

And then when Whitner was announced I almost threw the control at the tv. It was ******ed pick then, and it's a ******ed pick now. But hey... Im sure he's a nice guy with great character!

Tatonka
01-12-2009, 06:19 PM
every single ****ing one of you would have said that bunkley was a total bust right up until this year.. he has sucked dick until his 3rd year when he put it all together.. he is a perfect example of why you dont give up on guys after a rough rookie year.

Night Train
01-12-2009, 07:00 PM
the game is won and lost in the trenches

Agreed.

Now watch as TE, WR & S is the top 3 positions wanted for the draft by this board. :rolleyes:

The Jokeman
01-12-2009, 07:31 PM
The taking Whitner over Bunkley is a prime example how one seemingly small decision can impact so many other. First had we taken Bunkley we wouldn't have traded up to take McCargo. Which then could have lead us to keep our picks in Round 2 and 3 which arguably could have netted us SS Roman Harper in Round 2 and OG Jason Spitz in Round 3. Also we would have never traded for Darwin Walker meaning we might have kept Takeo Spikes and Kelly Holcomb, which might mean we would have never Trent Edwards. Also we likely would have never traded for Marcus Stroud (and for what it's worth the Eagles rush defense was better then ours in 2008) and kept our 3rd and 5ths in 2008 which could have used our 3rd on a young TE like Jermichael Finley and 5th on no one noteable but Tim Hightower is one name player.

Lexwhat
01-12-2009, 08:54 PM
every single ****ing one of you would have said that bunkley was a total bust right up until this year.. he has sucked dick until his 3rd year when he put it all together.. he is a perfect example of why you dont give up on guys after a rough rookie year.

Just wondering.... Who's giving up on our rookies?

Also, Bunkley was the 14th overall pick, so of course he would get more leeway than, say, a Day 2 pick. I think you would agree?

And just for the record, I dont dislike McKelvin the player, but I disliked that we made that pick. There were other players available that I think would have helped our team more.

A trade-down is often nice too. I'm hoping we can trade down this year...

PECKERWOOD
01-12-2009, 08:58 PM
Just wondering.... Who's giving up on our rookies?

Also, Bunkley was the 14th overall pick, so of course he would get more leeway than, say, a Day 2 pick. I think you would agree?

And just for the record, I dont dislike McKelvin the player, but I disliked that we made that pick. There were other players available that I think would have helped our team more.

A trade-down is often nice too. I'm hoping we can trade down this year...

I agree with ya about trading down this year. I disagree about McKelvin tho, that guy is a baller. Hardy on the other hand, who knows? Very optimistic about Leodis tho. I had McKelvin ranked as the BPA when we took him. Did you not like the selection because you like Jabari as the #2 opposite to McGee? In which case you have a solid point.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Patterson and Bunkley are huge and scary guys.

Kenny
01-12-2009, 09:13 PM

so what's your ****ing point? He did suck in his first year, -but since when do you cut first round picks after their first year?
The fact is he was a greater need at the draft, and is now a pretty good player. This is Whitner's third year now, and is nothing more than an average safety.

Lexwhat
01-12-2009, 09:19 PM
I agree with ya about trading down this year. I disagree about McKelvin tho, that guy is a baller. Hardy on the other hand, who knows? Very optimistic about Leodis tho. I had McKelvin ranked as the BPA when we took him. Did you not like the selection because you like Jabari as the #2 opposite to McGee? In which case you have a solid point.

I'll give you my 2 main reasons why I disliked the pick, the first of which you probably already know:

1. Our lines. There were some great O-Linemen available at our pick. I thought we could have drafted one of them (Clady, Albert, Otah). If we got Clady/Otah, move Walker to Guard. If we drafted Albert, plug him in to Guard. Our O-Line is not championship caliber, and CB was a luxury pick. We missed out on a great opportunity to upgrade our O-Line, IMO.

2. (Perhaps more relevant): This team has a habit of not re-signing CBs. Winfield and Clements left, while Greer is on his way out. If we don't want to pay top dollar for a stud CB, why did we draft one with our 1st rounder? Are we just going to let McKelvin walk in 4 years??

We could have re-signed Greer to a long term contract, and still drafted Reggie Corner in the 4th round. When McGee's contract is over, let Corner / Youboty take over the #2 spot.

Aren't good teams supposed to develop their own young players to eventually become starters? Look at Indy, NE, and Philly. Letting Greer walk, after we developed him as an undrafted FA, is foolish. We don't even get to reap the benefits of our time invested in him.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-12-2009, 09:21 PM
Ah for gods sakes...just forget it! We drafted Whitner.

Lets just not make the same mistake but I would be please if I don't hear anymore about that subject.

PECKERWOOD
01-12-2009, 09:33 PM
I'll give you my 2 main reasons why I disliked the pick, the first of which you probably already know:

1. Our lines. There were some great O-Linemen available at our pick. I thought we could have drafted one of them (Clady, Albert, Otah). If we got Clady/Otah, move Walker to Guard. If we drafted Albert, plug him in to Guard. Our O-Line is not championship caliber, and CB was a luxury pick. We missed out on a great opportunity to upgrade our O-Line, IMO.

2. (Perhaps more relevant): This team has a habit of not re-signing CBs. Winfield and Clements left, while Greer is on his way out. If we don't want to pay top dollar for a stud CB, why did we draft one with our 1st rounder? Are we just going to let McKelvin walk in 4 years??

We could have re-signed Greer to a long term contract, and still drafted Reggie Corner in the 4th round. When McGee's contract is over, let Corner / Youboty take over the #2 spot.

Aren't good teams supposed to develop their own young players to eventually become starters? Look at Indy, NE, and Philly. Letting Greer walk, after we developed him as an undrafted FA, is foolish. We don't even get to reap the benefits of our time invested in him.

1.) Can't say I disagree, Clady would've been huge. (although I wanted Albert)
2.) Excellent point, I agree.

I refuse to argue your talking points, I'm convinced. =P

Tatonka
01-12-2009, 11:08 PM
the point is that everyone loves to start threads after the fact. where was this thread after the first two years of his career when he blew nuts and all the fans in philly were screaming about him being drafted.

i can sit here and second guess every pick and give you an example of a really really good player that was drafted right after him. what is the point?

i mean what the **** were the bills thinking when they didnt draft brady in the 6th round? where the **** were the bills when terrell davis was available?? god, we are the worst team in the world because we could have drafted ed reed and ray lewis and desean jackson...

while we are at it.. lets discuss how many players are in the pro bowl this year that we passed on at some point during some draft. then start a thread about each of them. that sounds productive.

Oaf
01-13-2009, 01:26 AM
Didn't Whitner have a INT in his first game ever and return it for a TD against Brady?

Kenny
01-13-2009, 07:44 AM
the point is that everyone loves to start threads after the fact. where was this thread after the first two years of his career when he blew nuts and all the fans in philly were screaming about him being drafted.

i can sit here and second guess every pick and give you an example of a really really good player that was drafted right after him. what is the point?

i mean what the **** were the bills thinking when they didnt draft brady in the 6th round? where the **** were the bills when terrell davis was available?? god, we are the worst team in the world because we could have drafted ed reed and ray lewis and desean jackson...

while we are at it.. lets discuss how many players are in the pro bowl this year that we passed on at some point during some draft. then start a thread about each of them. that sounds productive.

Different situation. Cant fault the Bills for not picking a guy who want a 'need' or a guy that there wasnt on radar.
Cant blame the Bills for not picking Brady, Colston, etc... as much as you cant blame 31 other teams for not picking Jason Peters.
But you can certainly blame the team for not picking a need when options were there. Compared to DT, safety was a luxury pick.

justasportsfan
01-13-2009, 09:40 AM
the year before we drafted Whitner, the D gave Chambers his career day vs. the fins which is why we probably drafted Whitner.

With Whitner at the helm, we gave Ginn his carreer day.

Different coach , same result except that Mularkey had a winning season.

Night Train
01-13-2009, 03:20 PM
our system

What player on earth fits our terrible Cover 2 losing system ?

It's impossible to get a gage on any player that plays under this dreck. Poor coaching may have something to do with it.

Kenny
01-13-2009, 03:33 PM
What player on earth fits our terrible Cover 2 losing system ?

The 2003 Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

The cover2 as it stands right now doesnt work.

Tatonka
01-13-2009, 03:43 PM
Different situation. Cant fault the Bills for not picking a guy who want a 'need' or a guy that there wasnt on radar.
Cant blame the Bills for not picking Brady, Colston, etc... as much as you cant blame 31 other teams for not picking Jason Peters.
But you can certainly blame the team for not picking a need when options were there. Compared to DT, safety was a luxury pick.

how is it a different situation? we clearly needed a receiver and colston was right there.. we clearly needed a qb since kelly retired.. and brady was right there..

and we clearly needed a DT.. which we took.. in mccargo, but it didnt work out.. so obviously we should have taken bunkley based on last weeks games... so the billls really missed bad on the pick.. so then what if bunkley blows his knee out this weekend and he never plays again.. does that make the bills a bunch of geniuses?

the draft is a crap shoot.. sometimes you get lucky sometimes you dont.. if whitner turned out like ed reed then no one says anything.. but he isnt ed reed righ now.. and bunkley looks sweet .. we wasted picks trading up to get mccargo.. we could have had mangold.. i mean in the end it is still just a crap shoot.

EDS
01-13-2009, 04:50 PM
how is it a different situation? we clearly needed a receiver and colston was right there.. we clearly needed a qb since kelly retired.. and brady was right there..

and we clearly needed a DT.. which we took.. in mccargo, but it didnt work out.. so obviously we should have taken bunkley based on last weeks games... so the billls really missed bad on the pick.. so then what if bunkley blows his knee out this weekend and he never plays again.. does that make the bills a bunch of geniuses?

the draft is a crap shoot.. sometimes you get lucky sometimes you dont.. if whitner turned out like ed reed then no one says anything.. but he isnt ed reed righ now.. and bunkley looks sweet .. we wasted picks trading up to get mccargo.. we could have had mangold.. i mean in the end it is still just a crap shoot.

I honestly think some of the frustration with the McKelvin pick is due to the fact that the Bills have spent so many high picks on corners and safetys over the past 20 or so years (most of which left once their rookie contracts were up):

J.D. Williams
Henry Jones
Thomas Smith
Jeff Burris
Antoine Winfield
Nate Clements
Donte Whitner
Leodis McKelvin

Mr. Pink
01-13-2009, 05:15 PM
The 2003 Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

The cover2 as it stands right now doesnt work.

Or the 70's Steelers.

Just because the system doesn't work here because we don't have the right players for it doesn't mean it's a bad system.

It means we don't have the right personnel for it.

It takes time to acquire the right players for any system.

And when you miss on some of those players, like Whitner and McCargo for example, it sets you back in the process.

Bling
01-13-2009, 08:00 PM
Is this the part where I ask for someone to eat crow, because I was right back three years ago and you were wrong? Man I remember laughing so hard when Whitner was picked. I was so relieved my boy Bunkley could go to the Eagles and not the Bills.

Kenny
01-13-2009, 08:35 PM

Come on now... DT was our biggest need by a long shot.

And there was no way in hell that Whitner was or will turn out to be Reed. Reed was a top prospect coming out of Miami. Whitner, though he came from a good program, was nothing more than a late first round pick.

As for McCargo (and Lawson for that matter), he was nothing more than a product of Super Mario.
It's one thing to go against the grain if you're good at it (Pioli and the Pats), but we take a player like Whitner, at #8 no less, when better players of much greater need were available, it just screams idiocy.

Barb
01-14-2009, 01:39 AM
Do you think our FO has learned their lesson yet? We will probably take Malcolm Jenkins another CB from OSU next year. lol, or get a load of this! We will draft a 3rd round rated FS at #11 when Taylor Mays is still on the board because he doesn't fit our scheme!!

taylor mays returns to USC

patmoran2006
01-14-2009, 12:07 PM
it doesnt strike me.

You almost have as many career interceptions as Whitner.

patmoran2006
01-14-2009, 12:10 PM

Your right.

The draft is often a crapshoot. But the single biggest difference between the Patriots/Colts vs the Bills/Lions is that Buffalo and Detroit are always crapping out.

Not even trying to make a joke out of it either. We simply miss on the draft way too often to be a contender.

Give us Ngata and Mangold, two guys we could have universally used instead of McCargo and Whitner, and we're a far better football team.

We just always seem to miss.

sauce
01-14-2009, 06:31 PM

But would you have picked Bunkley instead? Watching the game yesterday, he looked pretty effective. Not sure if it's because of the scheme or not, but it's looking like we made another mistake here.

That being said, any of you guys surprised with the Titans. Looking back, they havent exactly had strong drafts either.
Ben Troupe, Adam Jones, Vince Young, Chris Henry, etc... Goes to show you what coaching can do for you despite a team's talent.

OMG THIS IS WHY I HATE MESSAGE BOARDS...

I have said it a million times Kyle Williams outperformed Bunkley this year go look up the numbers on NFL.com

Williams had 55 tackles 2 sacks and 1 FF

Bunkley had 47 tackles 2 sacks and 0 FF

Williams was the 134th pick in the draft

Bunkley was 14th!!!!!!

quit complaining

and for those of you who say its not all about the stats

save your breath

Because you could use that argument with Whitners intangables

Philagape
01-14-2009, 06:57 PM
and for those of you who say its not all about the stats

save your breath

Because you could use that argument with Whitners intangables

Only if it's true.

One reason I hate message boards is some people think one argument applies to all situations, or to all players.
For example ... "coaching helped player X get better, therefore coaching will help any player get better."
Arguments like that would be true only if all situations were the same, or all players were the same.

Grasp the obvious. They're not.

sauce
01-14-2009, 07:14 PM
Only if it's true.

One reason I hate message boards is some people think one argument applies to all situations, or to all players.
For example ... "coaching helped player X get better, therefore coaching will help any player get better."
Arguments like that would be true only if all situations were the same, or all players were the same.

Grasp the obvious. They're not.

So Whitner is not a leader on and off the field

I'm confused.....

Oh and funny how you didnt reply to the stats of the so called stud Bunkley and the 134th pick Kyle Williams

People just like to ***** and moan i

Philagape
01-15-2009, 09:58 AM

I'm confused.....

Oh and funny how you didnt reply to the stats of the so called stud Bunkley and the 134th pick Kyle Williams

I wasn't commenting about Whitner. I was commenting about that line of thought.
Whether something is "about the stats" or not depends on the actual situation, and whether the stats are relevant. Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't, with a wide range of degrees in between. It's not a universal argument.

justasportsfan
01-15-2009, 10:01 AM

I'm confused.....

Whitner is a leader on and off the field of a system thats destined to fail. I feel sorry for our players. They are fighting for a lost cause. This team reminds me of vietnam. Too much stupidity at the top.

HHURRICANE
01-16-2009, 09:16 AM

Ngata and Bunkley were the two guys I wanted. That's what happens when you draft need instead of the best player.