• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Rex Ryan Leading Candidate to coach Jets

Saw this on PFT, sorry if already posted.

REX RYAN OUT IN FRONT FOR JETS

Posted by Aaron Wilson on January 12, 2009, 2:40 p.m.
    Highly-regarded Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan has emerged as the new frontrunner for the New York Jets’ head coaching vacancy, a source told the Newark Star-Ledger.
    According to the article, Ryan’s five-hour meeting with Jets owner Woody Johnson and G.M. Mike Tannenbaum on Sunday in Baltimore made a huge impression on the Jets’ top brass. So much so that the Jets are apparently willing to wait until after the Super Bowl if need be to potentially hire the son of fiery former NFL coach Buddy Ryan.
    “Rex likes the owner,” the anonymous source with knowledge of the meeting said. “He was impressed that the owner flew down to meet with him. The Jets were very serious. I can tell you that Rex is leaning toward the Jets and the Jets are leaning toward Rex. In fact, the Jets told Rex that they’re prepared to wait until after the Super Bowl to hire him if they have to.”
    Ryan also interviewed for the St. Louis Rams’ head-coach opening Sunday in Baltimore, and that meeting also went well enough that he’s a strong candidate there, too.
    The article also notes that former Ravens coach Brian Billick is considered a longshot to even be interviewed by the Jets at this point.
    Ryan runs a 3-4 and is the architect of the Ravens’ second-ranked defense, which has forced eight turnovers in two playoff games. The Jets wouldn’t have to change their current 3-4 defensive scheme dramatically if Ryan is their choice over New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, who is a 4-3 proponent.
    Spagnuolo has interviewed for the job along with Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, Jets assistant head coach Bill Callahan, Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh, fired Boston College coach Jeff Jagodzinski, Arizona Cardinals assistant head coach Russ Grimm, and Indianapolis Colts defensive coordinator Ron Meeks.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • Lexwhat
    • Feb 2005

Re: Rex Ryan Leading Candidate to coach Jets

I was hoping we would hire him when I thought Jauron was getting fired.

Comment

• Jeff1220
      H to the 12:20
      • Jul 2002

He's overrated imo. The Ravens have had a top defense, loaded with talent from long before RR got here. I'm guessing after RR leaves, the Ravens D will continue to play with the same intensity and attitude that they have the whole time Ray Lewis has been the leader of the unit.

Marvin Lewis - Was almost out of a job as Cincy's HC this year. 1 playoff appearance with them, and tons of trouble with his players

Mike Nolan - Never really got anything going in San Francisco. At one point, it looked a lot like they were on the upswing, but fell apart. Their upswing was mostly due to a Norv Turner-run O.

Rex Ryan - ? - Has had his share of blunders as DC here in Baltimore, the most widely known being the ill-advised timeout in the game against New England last year, negating a 4th down stop. Like Nolan, has an NFL coaching pedigree.

Comment

• Lexwhat
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Jeff1220
        He's overrated imo. The Ravens have had a top defense, loaded with talent from long before RR got here. I'm guessing after RR leaves, the Ravens D will continue to play with the same intensity and attitude that they have the whole time Ray Lewis has been the leader of the unit.

Marvin Lewis - Was almost out of a job as Cincy's HC this year. 1 playoff appearance with them, and tons of trouble with his players

Mike Nolan - Never really got anything going in San Francisco. At one point, it looked a lot like they were on the upswing, but fell apart. Their upswing was mostly due to a Norv Turner-run O.

Rex Ryan - ? - Has had his share of blunders as DC here in Baltimore, the most widely known being the ill-advised timeout in the game against New England last year, negating a 4th down stop. Like Nolan, has an NFL coaching pedigree.

Rex Ryan as a Jets coach might be different than either Lewis or Nolan.

Lewis is stuck in Cincinnati with that clown owner Mike Brown. Nolan was on the other side of the spectrum, and got way too much power with the 49ers.

The only downfall I see for Rex Ryan might be Brett Favre.

Comment

• Ingtar33
          Dances With Buffaloes
          • Sep 2002

It's easy to sport a top 10 defense when you have 2 hall of fame players on your defense, and another 5 or 6 probowl players.
          My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• theanswer74
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Ingtar33
            It's easy to sport a top 10 defense when you have 2 hall of fame players on your defense, and another 5 or 6 probowl players.
            So then its all about players, not coaches?

Anyways I heard Brian Shottenhiemer and Bill Callahan were the front runners.

Comment

• eyedog
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ingtar33

Sure is. It's amazing what a team can do when they know how to draft.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                Dances With Buffaloes
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by theanswer74
                So then its all about players, not coaches?

Anyways I heard Brian Shottenhiemer and Bill Callahan were the front runners.

not entirely.

Listen... a bad or good coach can make probably a 35% improvement or harm to the "waterlevel" of talent that they're working with.

but when you're working with two hall of fame players, another 4 or 5 probowlers, you SHOULD have a top 2 or 3 defense every year.

so what effect is Ryan having? Who knows. he might be a great coach. then again he might be a poor one.
                My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                  Defies all logic
                  • Oct 2006

Ingtar, he has alot of talent but some of the packages Ryan puts together are straight up cleva!

Comment

• The Jokeman
                    • Dec 2003

Ryan makes some sense because he runs a 3-4 which fits the Jets personnel, I'm not saying he's going to be any better Mangini but he's more thought of at this point in his career.

Comment

• Gunnails
                      • May 2007

Originally posted by The Jokeman
                      Ryan makes some sense because he runs a 3-4 which fits the Jets personnel, I'm not saying he's going to be any better Mangini but he's more thought of at this point in his career.
                      ========================================================

It's got to be Ryan or Tuna.
                      J E T S JETS JETS JETS

Comment

Working...
                      X