PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Bryant?

Mitchell55
01-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Well Hardy is out for no less than 6 months which means he will miss most of the offseason, so how about bringing in Bryant. Hes 6-1, had 7 TDs and 1,000+ yards last year and is a 6 year vet. He somehow managed to be tossed around by teams and he was actually decent on those teams averaging around 50 catches and 800 yds and 5 TDs. Not a bad player at all.

Goobylal
01-12-2009, 07:44 PM
He's a major head case. However the year away from football (2007 season) might have growed-him-up a bit.

Mitchell55
01-12-2009, 07:45 PM
He's a major head case. However the year away from football (2007 season) might have growed-him-up a bit.

Well I never heard anything out of him last year and I think hes at his prime. Hes around 26 which is where most recievers become great.

The Jokeman
01-12-2009, 07:47 PM
Well Hardy is out for no less than 6 months which means he will miss most of the offseason, so how about bringing in Bryant. Hes 6-1, had 7 TDs and 1,000+ yards last year and is a 6 year vet. He somehow managed to be tossed around by teams and he was actually decent on those teams averaging around 50 catches and 800 yds and 5 TDs. Not a bad player at all.
No but has had character issues in the past and can't see him fitting in here because of that. While I'd love to see him think we might go after a lesser guy like Michael Clayton or Drew Carter to compete for a spot but could ultimately be cut similar to TEs Courtney Anderson or Teyo Johnson last year.

Goobylal
01-12-2009, 07:47 PM
Well I never heard anything out of him last year and I think hes at his prime. Hes around 26 which is where most recievers become great.
Yeah, he behaved himself, which is why I said that sitting out the 2007 year might have made him grow up. And he'll be 28 in 2 months. Which still isn't old. But he'd be a risk, character-wise, despite his uneventful (off the field and in the lockerroom) 2008.

circlethewagons
01-12-2009, 07:48 PM
I think i read somewhere tampa is going to franchise him. and with the season he put up this year its a good move

Mitchell55
01-12-2009, 07:49 PM
No but has had character issues in the past and can't see him fitting in here because of that. While I'd love to see him think we might go after a lesser guy like Michael Clayton or Drew Carter to compete for a spot but could ultimately be cut similar to TEs Courtney Anderson or Teyo Johnson last year.

Well Clayton would make the team. He has great upside and somehow never made it in TB. Id put him as a Chad Jackson type of player. Someone who had great potential, just was in the wrong system.

Mitchell55
01-12-2009, 07:52 PM
Actually, what ever happened to Clayton. He started his career out with 7 TDs, 80 catches, and 1,193 yards and only 2 TDs since then.

The Jokeman
01-12-2009, 07:52 PM
Well Clayton would make the team. He has great upside and somehow never made it in TB. Id put him as a Chad Jackson type of player. Someone who had great potential, just was in the wrong system.
Time will tell and while I'd love to see him here in my gut think we'd be more apt to sign Carter. In terms of his disappearing act after his rookie year nobody knows. Yet do think QB confidence in him played a big part. Case in point James Hardy, I don't think Edwards ever fully gained his trust in him and why he struggled this year. In terms of Clayton think the addition of Joey Galloway hurt him not to mention Gruden's rotating QB mentality.

tampabay25690
01-12-2009, 08:41 PM

If TAMPA can't sign him to a long term deal the organization will FRANCHISE HIM for this year.......................

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-12-2009, 08:43 PM
He would cost us big money but I would be willing to make the risk.

I hate franchise tags dammit.

PECKERWOOD
01-12-2009, 09:02 PM
lol, he is good but not a franchise player. I mean whatever, if you have the money to spend go for it! Still a waste, imo.

Goobylal
01-12-2009, 09:10 PM
Chad Jackson? That dude was a stiff and then got injured.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Yeah but franchise tags are not really necessary designed for franchise players, it's just a keeper move.

Not that I need to explain that to people so savy like you, right?

Goobylal
01-12-2009, 09:15 PM
Franchise tags have been "keeper moves" for franchise players. But word is that the Pats will franchise Cassel and the Bucs may franchise Bryant, neither of whom is close to a franchise player. And it only inflates their pricetags.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-12-2009, 09:19 PM
Yeah but sometimes it is a smart move to franchise those type of players.

Goobylal
01-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Yeah but sometimes it is a smart move to franchise those type of players.
Well, you run into problems if you plan on trading them or keeping them long-term. I believe that the Patriots won't be able to trade Cassel if they franchise him, because his agent will be obligated to look for deals averaging what the franchise tender pays per year, along with a large signing bonus, plus a high draft pick. Bryant would be a 1-year deal at best, but probably be sorely overpaid.

Ickybaluky
01-12-2009, 10:56 PM
Well, you run into problems if you plan on trading them or keeping them long-term. I believe that the Patriots won't be able to trade Cassel if they franchise him, because his agent will be obligated to look for deals averaging what the franchise tender pays per year, along with a large signing bonus, plus a high draft pick. Bryant would be a 1-year deal at best, but probably be sorely overpaid.

No, Franchise players can be traded. In fact, the Patriots did just that a few years ago with Tebucky Jones, putting the Franchise tag on him and dealing him to the Saints.

In order for a Franchise tagged player to be dealt he must sign him tender. Once he signs his tender it becomes a valid contract and can be traded. He must sign it by July 15th if he is to be traded after that date. However, if he does not sign it the team can withdraw the tender at a later date and he becomes a FA at that time, as it is not guaranteed until it is signed.

Once the player signs the one-year franchise tender, he can work out a new deal with the team he is being traded to, usually as part of the trade agreement. However, the new deal does not have to be for the same average value as the old deal. Any new deal is basically a standard contract extension, so any terms are open.

Michael82
01-13-2009, 12:48 AM
No, Franchise players can be traded. In fact, the Patriots did just that a few years ago with Tebucky Jones, putting the Franchise tag on him and dealing him to the Saints.

In order for a Franchise tagged player to be dealt he must sign him tender. Once he signs his tender it becomes a valid contract and can be traded. He must sign it by July 15th if he is to be traded after that date. However, if he does not sign it the team can withdraw the tender at a later date and he becomes a FA at that time, as it is not guaranteed until it is signed.

Once the player signs the one-year franchise tender, he can work out a new deal with the team he is being traded to, usually as part of the trade agreement. However, the new deal does not have to be for the same average value as the old deal. Any new deal is basically a standard contract extension, so any terms are open.
The Bills were the first ones to come up with the tag and trade idea. Donahoe did that with Peerless Price 5 years ago. Since then, other teams has tried it too. It works, but only if you can convince teams to trade for him.

Oaf
01-13-2009, 01:23 AM
Nate Washington please. He'd be a great #2 alongside Evans.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-13-2009, 10:20 AM

Can you franchise a player two consecutive seasons?

THATHURMANATOR
01-13-2009, 10:31 AM
I think i read somewhere tampa is going to franchise him. and with the season he put up this year its a good move
If they don't I want him.

Ickybaluky
01-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Can you franchise a player two consecutive seasons?

You can do it for 3, although it gets very expensive.

The first year the player gets the average of the top-5 players at his position.

The second, they get the same or a 120% raise, whichever is greater.

The 3rd year they get the the average of the top-5 players in the NFL, regardless of position, or a 120% raise, whichever is greater.

Ickybaluky
01-13-2009, 12:16 PM
The Bills were the first ones to come up with the tag and trade idea. Donahoe did that with Peerless Price 5 years ago. Since then, other teams has tried it too. It works, but only if you can convince teams to trade for him.

Donohoe didn't come up with any such thing. Sean Gilbert, Dan Wilkerson, Joey Galloway, etc. were just a few players who were franchised and traded before Price was.

A franchise tender is just a regular contract once it is signed, as far as a trade is concerned. Everyone knew you could trade a franchise player, it isn't any special trick or anything.

bigbub2352
01-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Nate Washington
Bryant Johnson
Brandon Jones
Hank Baskett
are realistic possibilites or we draft another WR in the 3-4th rd
but knowing this is a team need they wont do anything about it

dasaybz
01-13-2009, 03:47 PM
I seriously couldn't care less about "character" players anymore.

Give me someone that can make plays.

Mr. Pink
01-13-2009, 05:19 PM
No way in hell the Bucs franchise Bryant.

He's nowhere near a top 5 WR in the league.

Bryant is a journeyman WR who when his head is in the game can put up numbers and contribute.

Problem is, he doesn't always seem to want to play.

yordad
01-13-2009, 05:32 PM
No way in hell the Bucs franchise Bryant.

He's nowhere near a top 5 WR in the league.

Bryant is a journeyman WR who when his head is in the game can put up numbers and contribute.

Problem is, he doesn't always seem to want to play.You don't have to be top 5 FTY, you just have to be with a team willing to pay top five for 1 year. Get the difference?

Mr. Pink
01-13-2009, 05:36 PM
You don't have to be top 5 FTY, you just have to be with a team willing to pay top five for 1 year. Get it?

The point is...a team isn't going to pay/franchise a guy who hasn't shown commitment to the sport for the majority of his career let alone show he has the skills to justify being paid that kind of money.

Most franchises aren't run like ours where we reward mediocre players with ridiculous contracts.

Get it?

yordad
01-13-2009, 06:55 PM
The point is...a team isn't going to pay/franchise a guy who hasn't shown commitment to the sport for the majority of his career [this is your opinion, and it doesn't "rule out" anything] let alone show he has the skills to justify being paid that kind of money. [I believe this is case by case. Maybe a he is the best on the market at a position of dire need. Or, maybe he fits a teams scheme more. Maybe he is the teams only true red-zone threat. Maybe the guy is head and shoulders above every one of your other receivers. Maybe the guy had almost half your teams receiving TDs and yards. Maybe the team feels it is really close to a break through. Maybe the team feels he is really ready to break out.]

Most franchises aren't run like ours where we reward mediocre players with ridiculous contracts.

Get it?I see what you are saying, I just disagree.

PECKERWOOD
01-13-2009, 07:14 PM

I will give Donahoe props on that trade, he did a good job by trading PP.