PDA

View Full Version : Winfield and next season..

TypicalBill
05-09-2003, 04:41 AM
we all know that his contract is up after this upcoming season.. and there were threads that talked about extending his contract now rather than later, and i agree... if he signs now, then we'll have one of the best, young CB tendems in the league.

next year both Philadelphia starters (Troy Vincent and Bobby Taylor) will be UFA's and theres no way the Eagles will be able to sign both of'em cuz they just signed safety Brian Dawkins to a 7-year, $43 million contract extension. That is good news since we know there will be atleast one of those two in the FA market. This can help us in 2 ways.. 1) Incase we dont extend Winfield, we know we'll have a shot at one of the best CB's in the league (if not the best) ... 2) Winfield wont ask for more money than what one of those two are gonna get. The Lions inflated the price for everyone with their signing of Dre Bly earlier this offseason.

:madcurse: Lions!

incase we dont sign Winfield (which i hope we do) id be happy with any of those two CB's.

what do you guys think?

Bufftp
05-09-2003, 05:22 AM
excellent points typicalbill.
The more cbs in fa next year can effect the going rate, and options are good, TD uses options very well.

Mr. Miyagi
05-09-2003, 07:07 AM
Because there will be some top notch CBs out there, do you think that may be why TD hasn't extended Winfield yet? Knowing TD, he may be using that as leverage against Winfield.

HenryRules
05-09-2003, 07:47 AM
Ever since the Bly contract, I've disagreed with giving Winfield an extension ... hearing that these 2 guys are going to be free agents, just makes me more certain of this fact. At the very least, let the Eagles sign one of them to an extension first. There's no way that Winfield deserves more than either of them (IMO) and that way, we'll not only have a minimum level for Winfield (Bly), but a maximum as well.

Tatonka
05-09-2003, 07:54 AM
bailey will be a fa too..

so taylor, vincent, and bailey on the market with winfield at teh same time.. should drive prices down... just like with LBs this year.

TypicalBill
05-09-2003, 08:02 AM
T, you mean champ Bailey from WAS ?

BillsNYC
05-09-2003, 08:28 AM
maybe winfield does now want to play in buffalo next year?

TypicalBill
05-09-2003, 08:41 AM
like Bufftp said, we have a lot of options and TD knows how to make the most out of the situation.

im not worried about it anymore.. we'll have the cap room next season to either sign Winfield long-term, place a tag on him, trade him or get a better replacement.. We're in a good position.

superbills
05-09-2003, 09:25 AM
Excellent points all, TB. We're in a good situation, again, because we don't have to live or die with Winfield. He and his agent both know this, and I think that if the Bills knock on the championship door this year then he'll want to be back for what will surely be a championship season next year, if he's smart. He'll get a fair salary, a SB ring and, all the Weck he can handle. Hell, who could go wrong with that? :D

Mr. Miyagi
05-09-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
so taylor, vincent, and bailey on the market with winfield at teh same time.. should drive prices down... just like with LBs this year.
Or they can drive the prices up, when one guy signs a fat contract, everyone else will use that as benchmark.

HenryRules
05-09-2003, 11:20 AM
Didn't Philly draft a couple of corners in last year's draft? How are they progressing? That could also cause Philly to let one or both of its CBs go.

TypicalBill
05-09-2003, 11:35 AM
They traded Harris to GB for a 2nd....
and they like Lito Shepard (last years 1st RD pick) and Sheldon Brown (last years 2nd RD pick)

Akhippo
05-09-2003, 12:15 PM
But if TD wants to pull a Peerless and franchise Winfield, to many top notch corners on the market hurts the Bills leverage. Im not sure though what figure the franchise would cost us. But if winfield doesnt want to sign and the interest is there, TD should be able to pull in a draft pick for him.

HenryRules
05-09-2003, 01:14 PM
i agree akhippo, but at the same time, if we sign any of the corners listed, I think that we've upgraded at CB over winfield, so unless somebody does that to us, and i can't see enough teams franchising their CBs for it to happen to us, letting winfield go may be the best option.