PDA

View Full Version : I know its easy to watch Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco...

xXSpIkes5IXx
01-14-2009, 10:03 PM
...and think that drafting a first round QB will solve all of our problems. Everyone has to remember drafting a first round quarterback is one of the biggest risk/high reward picks out there, especially if your team is built to contend in the next year.

Truth be told, QB's like Flacco and Ryan who transform teams in their first year are VERY rare, and what exactly did Trent Edwards do wrong this past year? He had a stretch of about 3 bad games, which hurt indeed. However, the man showed guts, and ability to make all the throws. That being said 2009 is the year he needs to develop consistancy. He is still young and developing, and i personally am very confident in him.

this team needs pass rush in the worst way, playmakers on defense is what will take our D from an above average-middle of the road defense, to a top level defense. We need to solidify the middle of the offensive line, as well as get ourselves a tight end with soft hands. Our starting tight end Robert Royal had 33 catches last season, not exactly cutting it.

If we want to contend next year, taking a huge financial and on the field risk on a quarterback is not what this team needs, Trent CAN take us there, the guy gets it. We need to take care of these glaring needs in free agency and the draft, rather than chancing it on a QB

JetSet24
01-14-2009, 10:09 PM
Idk.. The Bills have needs all over the field.

IMO you guys could use a CB,S, LB, DT, DE, QB, C, OL,TE, WR... Looking at your roster, the Bills have holes all over the field.

Idk if you guys want to start over, but sometimes a QB is the best way to start over.

xXSpIkes5IXx
01-14-2009, 10:14 PM
Cornerback and defensive tackle?

you clearly have no idea what your talking about...

PECKERWOOD
01-14-2009, 10:28 PM
11 TDs - 10 INTs, is not impressive. We need to keep adding QB's each year until we hit the jackpot. Find somebody who can challenge Trent.

realdealryan
01-14-2009, 11:28 PM
Ummm....Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl. Seems like 165 of the 8,165 members of this site want to work on the supporting cast.

DrGraves
01-15-2009, 12:50 AM
If you think that drafting a first round QB will make this organization better in the near future...

You are the delusional.
The game is won and lost at the line of scrimmage. If you have a good line like you can make any back look like barry sanders or rookie qb look like joe montana.

Draft positions that will actually help our team.

Crazygoo
01-15-2009, 04:56 AM
Draft positions that will actually help our team.

Agreed!!! There is no need to keep drafting qb's. We have one. We need a team around him.

Typ0
01-15-2009, 05:52 AM
yet another QB through the draft? How much waste are we going to have anyway? TE was the pick. If he doesn't pan out then our entire organization should step off a building because Cutler fell right into their lap and they let him go. They have no business taking a QB in the draft right now.

X-Era
01-15-2009, 06:01 AM
...and think that drafting a first round QB will solve all of our problems. Everyone has to remember drafting a first round quarterback is one of the biggest risk/high reward picks out there, especially if your team is built to contend in the next year.

Truth be told, QB's like Flacco and Ryan who transform teams in their first year are VERY rare, and what exactly did Trent Edwards do wrong this past year? He had a stretch of about 3 bad games, which hurt indeed. However, the man showed guts, and ability to make all the throws. That being said 2009 is the year he needs to develop consistancy. He is still young and developing, and i personally am very confident in him.

this team needs pass rush in the worst way, playmakers on defense is what will take our D from an above average-middle of the road defense, to a top level defense. We need to solidify the middle of the offensive line, as well as get ourselves a tight end with soft hands. Our starting tight end Robert Royal had 33 catches last season, not exactly cutting it.

If we want to contend next year, taking a huge financial and on the field risk on a quarterback is not what this team needs, Trent CAN take us there, the guy gets it. We need to take care of these glaring needs in free agency and the draft, rather than chancing it on a QB

I agree that Trent needs the reigns still, but I feel like he gets one more full year and unless hes significantly better, we need to start the search again.

But Why did you stop there on Flacco, out of the Championship teams only Arizona with Kurt Warner doesnt have a 1st round QB.

Its not sure thing, but it sure seems like it gives you the best chance to get a good one.

lukabrossi
01-15-2009, 06:23 AM
Trent showed guts, did he?......shut the hell up, boy. The guy played as well as he could, all things considered, but i saw a very scared and incompetent quarterback out there from week to week.....too afraid to throw the ball and make a play, so he's dumps it to his check-downs? That's not the way to win games.

He'll come along, i'm sure....but i think with Trent at the helm, we are going to have alot, alot of heartache. The kid deserves another year to lead this team and if it doesn't work for him, then fire his ass......and Jaurons.
I have spoken.

TedMock
01-15-2009, 06:53 AM
Trent showed guts, did he?......shut the hell up, boy. The guy played as well as he could, all things considered, but i saw a very scared and incompetent quarterback out there from week to week.....too afraid to throw the ball and make a play, so he's dumps it to his check-downs? That's not the way to win games.

He'll come along, i'm sure....but i think with Trent at the helm, we are going to have alot, alot of heartache. The kid deserves another year to lead this team and if it doesn't work for him, then fire his ass......and Jaurons.
I have spoken.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't necessarily agree. At least not completely. I do agree that he had been sketchy week to week and, at times, not willing to pull the trigger. I believe that this along with the dump offs were more a result of indecision than fear. Several times during the season he was willing to step into a blitz and take a hit. I think he has guts. I think he needs to have more faith in the WR's and in his own ability. The indecision is the biggest problem with me right now.

lukabrossi
01-15-2009, 06:57 AM
I understand what you're saying, but I don't necessarily agree. At least not completely. I do agree that he had been sketchy week to week and, at times, not willing to pull the trigger. I believe that this along with the dump offs were more a result of indecision than fear. Several times during the season he was willing to step into a blitz and take a hit. I think he has guts. I think he needs to have more faith in the WR's and in his own ability. The indecision is the biggest problem with me right now.

Ya know....the more i thought about it, i think indecision was the word i was looking for.
Right on.

DMBcrew36
01-15-2009, 07:16 AM
Flacco and Ryan would probably suck on the Bills because the 'suck' of the Bills runs so deep in the organization.

TedMock
01-15-2009, 07:36 AM
Also, Matt Ryan had a nice rookie year. No doubt. Flacco's team had a nice year, but his numbers aren't exactly world beaters. They're actually no better than Trent's. Flacco has a stronger arm, but he has certainly done his share of checking down as well. I do feel that Flacco will end up being very good, but I think he gets a little too much credit this year. Their defense is ridiculous and that really helps.

yordad
01-15-2009, 07:56 AM
Ya know....the more i thought about it, i think indecision was the word i was looking for.
Right on.I don't think he was indecisive. I'm pretty sure he knew he was going to check down every time.

Also, Matt Ryan had a nice rookie year. No doubt. Flacco's team had a nice year, but his numbers aren't exactly world beaters. They're actually no better than Trent's. Flacco has a stronger arm, but he has certainly done his share of checking down as well. I do feel that Flacco will end up being very good, but I think he gets a little too much credit this year. Their defense is ridiculous and that really helps.That arm would look good in the swirling winds of the Ralph late season.

acehole
01-15-2009, 08:04 AM
I tried to make this case in the past...that the qb cant do it all and this team had holes...I was called a licker and that I made excuses.

Well you sir are a licker.

If you cant see the difference between Joe flacco and trent Edwards you do have issues....however Joe Flacco had a ton of help and great coaching which goes a long way but not the whole way.

Trent Edwards can not make all of the throws, he is timid and frail and not worthy at this point to build a franchis around. Having said that I dont think another young qb is the answer right now. Bulid a great team and drop a yound qb in later...sd, denver, ravens did that and it seems to be the right formula...at this piont we dont have those things.

Also, Matt Ryan had a nice rookie year. No doubt. Flacco's team had a nice year, but his numbers aren't exactly world beaters. They're actually no better than Trent's. Flacco has a stronger arm, but he has certainly done his share of checking down as well. I do feel that Flacco will end up being very good, but I think he gets a little too much credit this year. Their defense is ridiculous and that really helps.

PS Joe Flaccos numbers are better then Trent Edwards.

TacklingDummy
01-15-2009, 08:06 AM
Ryan Leaf could have led the Ravens to the Playoffs.

don137
01-15-2009, 08:55 AM
I truly believe its a combination of the player and the system that makes a quarterback succeed. While I do not feel they would of done nearly as bad as Losman I feel players like Rothlisberger, E. Manning, Rivers, Flacco, Ryan etc. have systems in place that help them succeed. I feel any of them would of not done nearly as well in Buffalo.

Again, it comes down to what you pay for. You go cheap on the coaching staff you do not get good systems.

TedMock
01-15-2009, 08:55 AM
I tried to make this case in the past...that the qb cant do it all and this team had holes...I was called a licker and that I made excuses.

Well you sir are a licker.

If you cant see the difference between Joe flacco and trent Edwards you do have issues....however Joe Flacco had a ton of help and great coaching which goes a long way but not the whole way.

Trent Edwards can not make all of the throws, he is timid and frail and not worthy at this point to build a franchis around. Having said that I dont think another young qb is the answer right now. Bulid a great team and drop a yound qb in later...sd, denver, ravens did that and it seems to be the right formula...at this piont we dont have those things.

PS Joe Flaccos numbers are better then Trent Edwards.

A licker. Mature. Thank you. I will try to address your comments in a more respectful manner than you addressed mine. First, I am not married to any one player. I want what's best for the team. I have never been without my doubts when it came to any of our QB's. I like Trent and I do not feel that he is a wimp. Frail? There can certainly be an argument made for that. He started 14 games this year and has certainly had his share of injuries. I also agree with you that we can't afford to start with another rookie. We have too many other holes. I also agree that while Flacco had a lot of help, it wasn't the only reason he was successful. Hence, my comment that I believe Flacco will be a very successful QB. Read the entire post. Also, never did I say or suggest that there is no difference between Flacco and Edwards. I said that Flacco's No's were not really any better than Trents. I also acknowledged that Flacco has a stronger arm. I'm not sure where the gross misinterpretation came from, but if I wasn't clear enough, I apologize. Anyway, are Flacco's numbers really any better?

Flacco
60% 2971 yards 6.9 average 185.7 yards/game 14 TDs 12 INTs 80.3 rating

Edwards
65.5% 2699 yards 7.2 average 192.8 yards/game 11 TDs 10 INTs 85.4 rating

justasportsfan
01-15-2009, 09:38 AM

you don't need a high draft pick to be successful. The pats have proven that. All you need is a coach who has an eye for talent and coaches who know how to develop that talent.

lukabrossi
01-15-2009, 10:03 AM
you don't need a high draft pick to be successful. The pats have proven that. All you need is a coach who has an eye for talent and coaches who know how to develop that talent.

...exactly.

TacklingDummy
01-15-2009, 10:06 AM

yeah because there has been so many 6th round QB's to win the Super Bowl.

TacklingDummy
01-15-2009, 10:40 AM
The past 19 Super Bowls there has been

1st round picks: 20
2nd round picks: 2 (Farve 2)
3rd round picks: 4 (Hosteler,O'Donnel, Chandler,Montana)
4th round picks: 1 (Gannon)
5th round picks: 0
6th round picks: 7 (Brady 4, Hasselbeck,Rypien,Humphries)
7th round picks: 0
8Th round picks: 0
9th round picks: 1 (B.Johnson)
Undrafted: 3 (Warner 2, Delhomme)

Giants: Manning 1st Round
NE:Brady 6th Round

Colts: Manning 1st Round
Bears: Grossman 1st round

Seattle: Hasselbeck 6th round
Steelers: Ben R. 1st round

NE: Brady 6th
Phil.: McNabb 1st

Panthers: Delhomme Undrafted

Raiders: Gannon 4th
Tampa: B.Johnson 9th

Rams: Warner undrafted
Pats: Brady 6th

Ravens: Dilfer 1st
NYG: Kerry Collins 1st

Rams: Warner Undrafted
Tenn: McNair 1st

Den: Elway 1st
ATL: Chandler 3rd

GB Farve 2nd

NE Bledsoe 1st
GB: Farve 2nd

Dal: Aikman 1st
Pitt: O'Donnel 3rd

SD: humphries 6th
SF: Young 1st

Bills: Kelly 1st

Wash: Rypien 6th

NYG: Hosteler 3rd

SF: Montana 3rd

Overall

acehole
01-15-2009, 03:55 PM
Dont take it personal. I can called Acehole for a good reason.
I was agreeing with you indirectly. You were not here when I posted this team had hole beyond the qb position and thats is what I was called...you are kind of doing the same...so hence I called you what they called me.

Trent should start next year.

I dont agree Trent is the long term answer.

I dont agree with drafting one very high to replace him...given he is not the answer.

I like the model that works best... build a team first.

Thant is all for now...more wisdom to follow.

PS Stats dont work here either.....wins and losses were the only thing we could look at.

A licker. Mature. Thank you. I will try to address your comments in a more respectful manner than you addressed mine. First, I am not married to any one player. I want what's best for the team. I have never been without my doubts when it came to any of our QB's. I like Trent and I do not feel that he is a wimp. Frail? There can certainly be an argument made for that. He started 14 games this year and has certainly had his share of injuries. I also agree with you that we can't afford to start with another rookie. We have too many other holes. I also agree that while Flacco had a lot of help, it wasn't the only reason he was successful. Hence, my comment that I believe Flacco will be a very successful QB. Read the entire post. Also, never did I say or suggest that there is no difference between Flacco and Edwards. I said that Flacco's No's were not really any better than Trents. I also acknowledged that Flacco has a stronger arm. I'm not sure where the gross misinterpretation came from, but if I wasn't clear enough, I apologize. Anyway, are Flacco's numbers really any better?

Flacco
60% 2971 yards 6.9 average 185.7 yards/game 14 TDs 12 INTs 80.3 rating

Edwards
65.5% 2699 yards 7.2 average 192.8 yards/game 11 TDs 10 INTs 85.4 rating

TedMock
01-15-2009, 04:11 PM
Dont take it personal. I can called Acehole for a good reason.
I was agreeing with you indirectly. You were not here when I posted this team had hole beyond the qb position and thats is what I was called...you are kind of doing the same...so hence I called you what they called me.

Trent should start next year.

I dont agree Trent is the long term answer.

I dont agree with drafting one very high to replace him...given he is not the answer.

I like the model that works best... build a team first.

Thant is all for now...more wisdom to follow.

PS Stats dont work here either.....wins and losses were the only thing we could look at.

Gotcha. I apologize for the misunderstanding. I agree with all but one of your points - "...Trent is not the long term answer." It's not that I disagree either though. I feel like he has a certain "it" that could make him successful, but I am not 100% confident that he will find that "it." If that makes sense. Keep your fingers crossed and don't hold your breath.

realdealryan
01-15-2009, 05:22 PM
We were in 4 Super Bowls

The past 19 Super Bowls there has been

1st round picks: 20
2nd round picks: 2 (Farve 2)
3rd round picks: 4 (Hosteler,O'Donnel, Chandler,Montana)
4th round picks: 1 (Gannon)
5th round picks: 0
6th round picks: 7 (Brady 4, Hasselbeck,Rypien,Humphries)
7th round picks: 0
8Th round picks: 0
9th round picks: 1 (B.Johnson)
Undrafted: 3 (Warner 2, Delhomme)

Giants: Manning 1st Round
NE:Brady 6th Round

Colts: Manning 1st Round
Bears: Grossman 1st round

Seattle: Hasselbeck 6th round
Steelers: Ben R. 1st round

Phil.: McNabb 1st

Panthers: Delhomme Undrafted

Raiders: Gannon 4th
Tampa: B.Johnson 9th

Rams: Warner undrafted
Pats: Brady 6th

Ravens: Dilfer 1st
NYG: Kerry Collins 1st

Rams: Warner Undrafted
Tenn: McNair 1st

ATL: Chandler 3rd

GB Farve 2nd

NE Bledsoe 1st
GB: Farve 2nd

Pitt: O'Donnel 3rd

SD: humphries 6th
SF: Young 1st

Wash: Rypien 6th

NYG: Hosteler 3rd

SF: Montana 3rd

Overall

Jan Reimers
01-16-2009, 09:59 AM
I think that in many cases, the chart confuses 1st round draft status with QB ability. For instance, Grossman, Dilfer, Collins, McNair, Bledsoe and E. Manning are (or were) less-than-great QBs who played for very talented teams. None of them would have been to a Super Bowl with teams with talent equivalent to the current Bills.

Conversely, many great QBs have never been to, or at least won, a Super Bowl.

Sadly, a certain segment of fans see almost nothing beyond the QB. While QB is the most important position, football is the ultimate team game. Many SBs have been won with caretaker QBs.

Thus, I don't put an over-emphasis on the Bills' QB position. I realize that we absolutely need to get better at several other critical positions before we can expect our QB to take us magically to the Promised Land.

justasportsfan
01-16-2009, 10:11 AM
yeah because there has been so many 6th round QB's to win the Super Bowl.

Nope but the ones that have won sb's have proven you don't need a high draft pick. You just need coaches who know how to put the qb's in situations to succeed. Ask Trent Dilfer.

On the flipside, JIm Kelly couldn't win one with all the talent he had around him because Marv was outcoached in the sbs. MArv got outcoached by Parcells with a back up Jeff Hostetler at qb. Marv lost to Gibbs with MArk Rypien at qb. Two qb's who are not HOF qb's.

Dan MArino couldn't win either because of coaching . While I'll give you that we beat the fins due to talent, they also lost because Shula who was past his prime insisted on trying to win with Dans arm alone and no running game. A HC decision.

Shula went 16-0 with a no name team.

Coaching and talent go hand in hand. Argue with facts all you want.

Typ0
01-16-2009, 11:02 AM
I think that in many cases, the chart confuses 1st round draft status with QB ability. For instance, Grossman, Dilfer, Collins, McNair, Bledsoe and E. Manning are (or were) less-than-great QBs who played for very talented teams. None of them would have been to a Super Bowl with teams with talent equivalent to the current Bills.

Conversely, many great QBs have never been to, or at least won, a Super Bowl.

Sadly, a certain segment of fans see almost nothing beyond the QB. While QB is the most important position, football is the ultimate team game. Many SBs have been won with caretaker QBs.

Thus, I don't put an over-emphasis on the Bills' QB position. I realize that we absolutely need to get better at several other critical positions before we can expect our QB to take us magically to the Promised Land.

With all the data available about draft status and it's correlation with success in the league you would think people who claim themselves intelligent would realize that being drafted does not mean you are going to translate well to the NFL and not being drafted doesn't mean you aren't going to translate well. Yet people insist they know what they are talking about with logic like: if they are taken in the first round then they will be successful. Or they support bad coaching arguements with: if the quarterback who was taken in the first round sucks in the NFL then the coaching was bad.

These arguements continue to come despite the fact that, since the beginning of time, players have not made it and other players have emerged. Apparently, people don't realize that the guys coming out of college are at the ends of their childhoods and success in the NFL is largely developmental...and while they might look good during their senior year they aren't fully developed and they need to continue to develop properly to be successful. There are indicators of success but there just are no guarantees....and there is a lot of luck involved with talent evaluation as well.

acehole
01-16-2009, 12:04 PM
Gotcha. I apologize for the misunderstanding. I agree with all but one of your points - "...Trent is not the long term answer." It's not that I disagree either though. I feel like he has a certain "it" that could make him successful, but I am not 100% confident that he will find that "it." If that makes sense. Keep your fingers crossed and don't hold your breath.

I am not even in disagreement that he has "it" either.

I was a coming around when I saw him play early on.

Deffense then caught on and then the heath issue.

Need a qb that can play the whole season..who is not afraid to get hit.

Deffenses lick thier chops when they know a guy plays scared.

So yea let him play out 2009....build up that d on fix the o...get that running game going...and drop in a 2010 qb pick let trent back up a year and see where it all goes.

Typ0
01-16-2009, 12:43 PM
I wish someone could explain this concept of TE playing scared. It looked to me like he was being overwhelmed but not scared. He just became indecisive because he wasn't ready to play against the better defenses that were disguising what they were doing all the time.

justasportsfan
01-16-2009, 12:49 PM
I wish someone could explain this concept of TE playing scared. It looked to me like he was being overwhelmed but not scared. He just became indecisive because he wasn't ready to play against the better defenses that were disguising what they were doing all the time.
he didn't have confidence in the system. He blamed the OC.

Mitchell55
01-16-2009, 01:24 PM
11 TDs - 10 INTs, is not impressive. We need to keep adding QB's each year until we hit the jackpot. Find somebody who can challenge Trent.

Peyton Manning, Troy Aikman, and Montana werent released after a bad season, were they?