PDA

View Full Version : What if....

T-Long
01-15-2009, 08:06 AM
Could Alex Mack (Center from CA) be our pick? I know most centers are taken in the later rounds, but this is a big need for us too. I think we go DE, but just throwing out another possibility. Draft Scout Link (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=56532&draftyear=2009&genpos=C)

ddaryl
01-15-2009, 08:40 AM
Not at #11. He should be there for us in round #2

T-Long
01-15-2009, 08:48 AM
Not at #11. He should be there for us in round #2
I honestly think he will be gone by our pick in Round 2. Draftboy?

don137
01-15-2009, 08:51 AM
We need an impact player at 11. While there is a big need for center we can wait until round two. Look at Ryan Khalil of the Panthers. He was very highly rated coming out of USC two years ago. He lasted until the middle of the second round.

I get sick of the Bills taking non-impact players in round one (i.e. Donte Whitner).

Mahdi
01-15-2009, 09:15 AM
Mack will probably be gone by our pick in the 2nd but with the depth at C in this year's draft the C we could pick with our 2nd rounder wouldnt be much of a drop off. In fact you can arguably get a better C than Mack if he was the first one taken.

Caldwell is coming out of a run first program at Alabama and has the prototypical size of the best Centers in the NFL.

ddaryl
01-15-2009, 09:22 AM

He at this time is the 2nd highest ranking C behind Max Unger, according to Scout.com draft boards... I can't remember the last time I saw 2 C's get drafted before the 1st 1/2 of rd 2. But then again I don't follow the draft THAT closely

IMO we need a DE desperately, and I would also pursue the best OLB option we can acquire. But C in round #2 would be a very wise decision on the Bills part.

DE in rd #1
C in rd #2

the game is won and lost in the trenches and these 2 pickups would support my and what I would like to see the Bills do this year and every year... PICK UP A TOP PLAYER(S) (rd's 1 - 3) FOR THE DL and/or OL EVERY YEAR.

I would still pursue our best DE option in FA and the best OLB option in FA, I would also pick up an experienced C in FA to stop gap us for a year or 2 as our new guy gets up to speed.

Night Train
01-15-2009, 09:36 AM
While I won't argue with anyone wanting a DE in Round 1, I could see the Bills looking elsewhere if Schobel is seen as coming back healthy. They have a bundle tied up in DE and you know how the Bills would rather spite themselves then admit burning $$ ( See Jauron )

OLB would be the next major need and Aaron Curry of Wake Forest could be the pick.

yordad
01-15-2009, 09:41 AM
Dudes, we're getting a FA center.

justasportsfan
01-15-2009, 10:00 AM
Dudes, we're getting a FA center.
we passed on Kevin Mawae. ANother staff blunder.

PECKERWOOD
01-15-2009, 04:07 PM
I really have to be brutally honest with you guys, I would be euphoric if we took Stafford or Sanchez with the 11th pick. I'm really not sold on Trent Edwards enough to pass on a franchise QB, I'm very sorry because this will probably catch me some criticism but it's not my intention to ruffle any feathers.

X-Era
01-15-2009, 04:47 PM
Could Alex Mack (Center from CA) be our pick? I know most centers are taken in the later rounds, but this is a big need for us too. I think we go DE, but just throwing out another possibility. Draft Scout Link (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=56532&draftyear=2009&genpos=C)

I gotta say flat out... NO.

Its too early at 11 (based on how it looks today).

Id move to the 18-28 range, then guys like Mack, maybe Pettigrew make way more sense.

X-Era
01-15-2009, 04:54 PM
I really have to be brutally honest with you guys, I would be euphoric if we took Stafford or Sanchez with the 11th pick. I'm really not sold on Trent Edwards enough to pass on a franchise QB, I'm very sorry because this will probably catch me some criticism but it's not my intention to ruffle any feathers.
Anyone who would say that we dont have a clear need for better quarterbacking is nuts at this point IMO. The question isnt whether Trent is good enough today or not, he isnt... the question is can he become that guy? And the answer is we still dont know. It could still happen. So, we could or maybe even should pull that trigger if we arent convinced that it can ever be Trent. That question can only be answered by the Bills and due to the Jauron/Trent love fest and that we really dont know yet... I just cant see a major move at QB like that.

That said, I would not be that happy if it was Sanchez, too much risk there IMO... he only came on for one year. Stafford is a more proven commodity... hes been very solid for two years now.

Its just that a really green rookie QB on this mediocre team scares me... Id like a more experienced guy.

Marvelous
01-15-2009, 05:14 PM
OMG! Did you say a center with the 11th pick? :wtf:
-Hudson " Why don't you put her in charge!"

--The last highly rated center i recall is Nick Mangold & he went late 1st round.. FYI bro..

--Any kickers available on day 1 ? :D

edit::-------AGREED! The QB situation is mediocre. Attention All Bilsl fans here at the ZONE!!! Trent Edwards either isn't ready yet -OR- He's just a MEDIOCRE QB who pimped us with short passes to our RB's and that made us remember the great one throwing to Thurman,Davis & Metzelaars & MC.Keller etc etc,,but the honeymoon is over. Our QB situation last season was garbage..

-Since QB is THE MAKE US/BREAK US POSITION,,then why isn't a Day 1 QB obvious? Is Schobel & Kelsay worse then Trent Edwards? no-way..

PECKERWOOD
01-15-2009, 05:47 PM
Anyone who would say that we dont have a clear need for better quarterbacking is nuts at this point IMO. The question isnt whether Trent is good enough today or not, he isnt... the question is can he become that guy? And the answer is we still dont know. It could still happen. So, we could or maybe even should pull that trigger if we arent convinced that it can ever be Trent. That question can only be answered by the Bills and due to the Jauron/Trent love fest and that we really dont know yet... I just cant see a major move at QB like that.

That said, I would not be that happy if it was Sanchez, too much risk there IMO... he only came on for one year. Stafford is a more proven commodity... hes been very solid for two years now.

Its just that a really green rookie QB on this mediocre team scares me... Id like a more experienced guy.

I agree with you on Stafford over Sanchez because of a couple reasons:

1.) He would have a better OL and better targets here than what he had in Georgia.

2.) He has a cannon that could deliver the ball to Evans in them deep routes and he has enough strength to deliver the ball in the crappy conditions at RWS late in the year.

Let's be honest.. Buffalo REALLY isn't a bad place for a QB. I like Jason Peters, Dockery is OK, C is the weakest part on offense, Butler is solid, Walker is probably our 2nd best linemen and Evans is a fantastic WR if you can get him involved early and often, Josh Reed is a reliable WR who runs nice routes. There could be FAR more worst situations for a QB than Buffalo.

Bill Cody
01-15-2009, 05:57 PM
I agree with you on Stafford over Sanchez because of a couple reasons:

1.) He would have a better OL and better targets here than what he had in Georgia.

No. I'd take AJ Green (who has Randy Moss type potential) and Massaquoi over Evans/Hardy or Evans/Parrish RIGHT NOW even though Green is only finished his first year. Our OL is better but the competition is better too.

Night Train
01-15-2009, 06:01 PM
Let's select 7 QB's in this draft, just so I don't have to read about the QB problem in 29 threads from many of these posters ever again.

PECKERWOOD
01-15-2009, 06:04 PM
Let's select 7 QB's in this draft, just so I don't have to read about the QB problem in 29 threads from many of these posters ever again.

Yah, like you ever really add any thoughtful ideas -- you typically just blast other people's thoughts because you don't have any of your own.

patmoran2006
01-15-2009, 06:05 PM
I hate the "never take a center" in the first half of round one crap.

If the guy is a stud and will solidify the OL, then why not draft him?

There isn't a person on this board who would go back to 2006 if they could and say they wish we didnt draft Whitner at #8 and took Nick Mangold instead.

PRo Bowl Center >>>>>>> Dime a Dozen safety

Night Train
01-15-2009, 06:17 PM
Yah, like you ever really add any thoughtful ideas -- you typically just blast other people's thoughts because you don't have any of your own.

Oh, the irony.

The Bills won't draft a QB, with shortages at C, OLB, DE, S, WR, TE etc. I would't mind a bold move myself.. but were talking about an owner who will spite the entire organization, just to save a few bucks.

Now return to hijacking every draft thread with this QB obsession. Thanks for keeping an open mind.

DraftBoy
01-15-2009, 06:37 PM

I think he'll be there in Round 2 at our pick but I still wouldn't take him at that point to be perfectly honest.

PECKERWOOD
01-15-2009, 06:37 PM
Oh, the irony.

The Bills won't draft a QB, with shortages at C, OLB, DE, S, WR, TE etc. I would't mind a bold move myself.. but were talking about an owner who will spite the entire organization, just to save a few bucks.

Now return to hijacking every draft thread with this QB obsession. Thanks for keeping an open mind.

Honestly, what really do you expect? Why not throw random ideas out there? Ralph said that this team lacks talent, I think that's a clear indication that something big is going to happen in FA. You can call Ralph "cheap" if you like but the old man still figures out a way to fill the stadium every year. He isn't stupid, SOMETHING big is going to happen or not ONE game will sell out next year. Do you really think that Ralph is naive to that fact? Do you honestly think that Russ is naive to that fact? They may not know how to win championships but they sure as hell know how to sucker people like me and you into coming back each year.

DraftBoy
01-15-2009, 06:38 PM
I hate the "never take a center" in the first half of round one crap.

If the guy is a stud and will solidify the OL, then why not draft him?

There isn't a person on this board who would go back to 2006 if they could and say they wish we didnt draft Whitner at #8 and took Nick Mangold instead.

PRo Bowl Center >>>>>>> Dime a Dozen safety

I don't like it when people harp on one pick over and over again and act like every year the next (insert players name here) is obviously in this class. But that's just me.

Oaf
01-17-2009, 02:36 PM
Then what are your thoughts on the c prospects, DB? Who can we draft at any spot and start right away? Or would you rather go fa?