PDA

View Full Version : What's really sad...

PECKERWOOD
01-15-2009, 04:21 PM
Is that we should probably take Stafford or Sanchez with the 11th pick this year but we probably won't because our coaching staff knows that this is their last shot at staying in Buffalo and at keeping their jobs. They're going to figure that Trent is their best shot at maybe making the playoffs and keeping their jobs for another year and as a result, this franchise is going to get set back ANOTHER season. I have a feeling that the situation will be vastly similar to when we passed on Cutler. *sigh* Sorry, just had a prophetic, Discotrish-like revelation, no further message.

TacklingDummy
01-15-2009, 04:26 PM
Kind of agree.

There will be other QB's the Bills can take with their Top 5 pick in 2010.

PECKERWOOD
01-15-2009, 04:27 PM
Kind of agree.

I pretty much nodded my head as soon as I read this post. :ill:

DBrown77
01-15-2009, 05:06 PM
Is that we should probably take Stafford or Sanchez with the 11th pick this year but we probably won't because our coaching staff knows that this is their last shot at staying in Buffalo and at keeping their jobs. They're going to figure that Trent is their best shot at maybe making the playoffs and keeping their jobs for another year and as a result, this franchise is going to get set back ANOTHER season. I have a feeling that the situation will be vastly similar to when we passed on Cutler. *sigh* Sorry, just had a prophetic, Discotrish-like revelation, no further message.

The Broncos have the same amount of playoff appearances as the Bills since Cutler has been there.

I really don't think QB in the first round is priority. Obviously we can see what Trent can do. we have to go with him and hope he doesn't get injured. Trying to bring in a Veteran backup is the answer. NOT drafting QB first round.

Ingtar33
01-15-2009, 05:08 PM
Kind of agree.

yep. well on the bright side they won't ruin their top pick this year. neither Stafford or Sanchez are half as good as Ryan was coming out.

PECKERWOOD
01-15-2009, 05:29 PM
yep. well on the bright side they won't ruin their top pick this year. neither Stafford or Sanchez are half as good as Ryan was coming out.

Couldn't agree more but I still think that both could be very special. Let's be honest, along with the coaching staff, this is Trent's last year to prove that he can be the man in Buffalo. So why not take the initiative, prepare for the worst and hope for the best? It would also give us the luxury of keeping Stafford or Sanchez on the bench to get them acquainted with the playbook, our offense and the recievers more. I just think that it would be smart to get somebody warming up in the bullpens ready to come in case **** hits the fan -- if not, this could set us back another 2 years instead of 1.

Marvelous
01-15-2009, 05:30 PM
I disagree that the staff is gonna draft 100% WIN NOW.. The GM wouldn't allow that, nor would The Ralph etc etc.. I have a feeling we are gonna be happy with teh draft surprises.. JP is history, Trent is struggling and has-NOT passed into reliable land yet, so if there's a QB on the board that shouldn't be imo we score.. This team needs the motivation of a QB with some pedigree... JP & Tulane aren't really high pedigree like Matt Ryan, or Quinn etc..Who needs a QB ahead of us? Will The Rams go QB?

sting32
01-15-2009, 05:30 PM
I think Edwards will be decent. Not every QB is a Marino,Kelly,Manning,ect. Our system needs an upgrade, and we need a @&!hole on the sideline whether it's a player or coach!!!

Luisito23
01-15-2009, 05:34 PM
Kind of agree.

Most definitely, and if we do end up having to pick another QB early, I rather be next year since I'm not at all thrilled with any of these chumps coming out in this draft...:poop:

PECKERWOOD
01-15-2009, 05:37 PM
I disagree that the staff is gonna draft 100% WIN NOW.. The GM wouldn't allow that, nor would The Ralph etc etc.. I have a feeling we are gonna be happy with teh draft surprises.. JP is history, Trent is struggling and has-NOT passed into reliable land yet, so if there's a QB on the board that shouldn't be imo we score.. This team needs the motivation of a QB with some pedigree... JP & Tulane aren't really high pedigree like Matt Ryan, or Quinn etc..Who needs a QB ahead of us? Will The Rams go QB?

Lions, Rams and Chiefs ALL may go QB.. The Rams are a wildcard in the hunt for QB, we will have to see if they get rid of Bulger first -- they have 60 mil locked up in him. I sure wouldn't mind adding a gunslinger like Stafford to Buffalo -- a guy with a rocket arm who could still be productive late in the year under the terrible conditions in RWS. If we take a QB, I hope it's in the 1st round, there is a tremendous drop off after Stafford and Sanchez, imho. I say that it would be in our best interest to steal a page out of AJ Smith's draft book.

Bill Cody
01-15-2009, 05:46 PM
I've seen Matt Stafford play (on TV) over a dozen times.

The good: he has an absolute rocket for an arm. He looks like Elway and throws like Elway.

The bad: He makes some terrible decisions at times. Matt could have really benefitted from staying in school another year.

Bottom line: He will astound the coaches at the combine though so don't be at all surprised to see him go #1 overall to Detroit. So I guess in a way it won't matter that he's going to struggle some that first year because well, he can't do worse than 0-16. If for some reason he dropped to 11 I'd be hard pressed to pass on him even though he would probably sit the first year and even though our biggest need BY FAR is DE. Matt will be special but it will take some time.

OpIv37
01-15-2009, 07:08 PM
It doesn't matter.

This FO doesn't know how to find talent at the QB position. This coaching staff doesn't know how to groom QB's (remember, Schonert was QB coach for both Losman and Edwards).

We need more talent at other positions and a game plan that revolves around D and running the ball because we simply aren't going to get any better at QB.

Lexwhat
01-15-2009, 07:13 PM
yep. well on the bright side they won't ruin their top pick this year.

What makes you so sure?

Lexwhat
01-15-2009, 07:15 PM
In case a QB falls to our pick, I would love to see a trade-down.

X-Era
01-15-2009, 07:21 PM
I pretty much nodded my head as soon as I read this post. :ill:

Top 5? How are we gonna get worse again?

No, we are stuck in mediocrity, were not lucky enough to "earn" a top 5 pick remember... were looking at another 7 win season... maybe as low as 5 or 6 wins. I could see top 10, not top 5.... were just not that bad.

Stewie
01-15-2009, 07:57 PM

Couldn't disagree more.. seems like the opposite of what would happen. Coaches usually buy themselves more time by drafting and playing a rookie qb. After all, can't expect much from a first year rookie, and therefore it's not fair to can a coach after a mediocre season with a rookie qb.

yordad
01-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Why draft a QB. After Jauron sticks up the place for another year or two, the next coaching regime will want to bring in there own guy anyways.

PECKERWOOD
01-15-2009, 08:18 PM
Couldn't disagree more.. seems like the opposite of what would happen. Coaches usually buy themselves more time by drafting and playing a rookie qb. After all, can't expect much from a first year rookie, and therefore it's not fair to can a coach after a mediocre season with a rookie qb.

But wouldn't that prove that the 1st QB that they drafted was a failure? I understand if it was the 1st QB that they drafted but the 2nd one?

TacklingDummy
01-15-2009, 08:29 PM

No, we are stuck in mediocrity, were not lucky enough to "earn" a top 5 pick remember... were looking at another 7 win season... maybe as low as 5 or 6 wins. I could see top 10, not top 5.... were just not that bad.

AFC/NFC South that's how.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-15-2009, 10:03 PM

Yeah, the Bills even **** up being bad!

Typ0
01-16-2009, 05:44 AM
Why draft a QB. After Jauron sticks up the place for another year or two, the next coaching regime will want to bring in there own guy anyways.

they won't want to bring in their own guy if there is one here that is any good...if they are stuck with a guy who sucks they're going to want someone else though.

DraftBoy
01-16-2009, 07:30 AM

There are very few players in this class that are ready now, Ive been looking at drafts for a few years now and this is one of the rawest classes I can remeber ever. Very few done products who are ready to step up immediately and definitely not any QB's.

A name to to keep in mind as we head into workouts though QB wise who will rise quickly is Josh Freeman out of Kansas State. Built just like Russell with better scrambling ability but just as bad decision making. He'll sky rocket in workouts.

Jan Reimers
01-16-2009, 07:35 AM
We will never get better by drafting a QB number 1 and continuing to ignore our absolute gaping needs at DE, LB, DT, C, TE and #2 WR.

Trent is still young, and will benefit greatly from a competent C and a couple of additional receiving weapons.

DraftBoy
01-16-2009, 07:39 AM
We will never get better by drafting a QB number 1 and continuing to ignore our absolute gaping needs at DE, LB, DT, C, TE and #2 WR.

Trent is still young, and will benefit greatly from a competent C and a couple of additional receiving weapons.

Until you have a franchise signal caller (or one of the most dominating defenses in all of NFL history) you will never go anywhere either. Im not saying Trent is or isnt, but just providing him with more weapons and a C won't necessairly mean anything. Some posters here believe we have adequate but misutilized talent.

Dr. Lecter
01-16-2009, 07:44 AM
Until you have a franchise signal caller (or one of the most dominating defenses in all of NFL history) you will never go anywhere either. Im not saying Trent is or isnt, but just providing him with more weapons and a C won't necessairly mean anything. Some posters here believe we have adequate but misutilized talent.

I have to disagree with that one.

Of the 4 teams left, how many have a franchise QB? Warner is a gunslinger with great weapons. Flacco is a rookie with a very good defense, but not one of the best in history. Ben gets the job done and is very smart. Franchise? I dunno. Close. McNabb is probably the closest.

It can be done with a good, smart QB who uses his weapons well and a strong defense.

DraftBoy
01-16-2009, 08:04 AM
I'd say Ben is a franchise QB. Flacco has the looks of one potentially and has one of the best D's ever and Warner has been here before and has played like an All-Pro even with losing guys like Boldin for time and turning Steve Breston into a 1000 yd WR. I think he deserves a little more credit. You don't have to be young to be a franchise QB.

Jan Reimers
01-16-2009, 08:22 AM
Trent may be unproven, but he hasn't shown that he can't be a very good QB in this league.

We have DEs, LBs and Cs - and some would argue for players at several other positions - who have proven conclusively that they cannot play in this league.

I would rather address those positions where we have a known and demonstrated lack of talent, before we jump again into the QB position, which has at least shown some promise.

patmoran2006
01-16-2009, 08:31 AM
Here is what I think will happen with QB this offseason.

Trent Edwards is your full-time starter, assuming he stays healthy for 2009.. Like it or not.

They will definitely bring in a veteran backup QB via free agency, and I think it will be a high priority at OBD. Jon Kitna and Fitzpatrick (Bengals) are two possible choices.

Hamden will probably be back as the #3, but he could be outed if the Bills find a QB in the 3rd or 4th round that they feel can develop into a player someday. The Bills have shown in the 3rd or 4th rounds they don't draft by need but by what they view as the BPA; so if that guy is a QB they will certainly take them.

IMO, Trent gets this year to start and see what he can be.. If he fails, that means the team very likely stinks in 2009, which would mean a new head coach and staff, and in all probability the new coach wanting a new QB very early in the 2010, in which its starting to look like the draft then will have a few prime-time QBs at the top.

TacklingDummy
01-16-2009, 08:37 AM
Of the 4 teams left, how many have a franchise QB?
2 Pitts. and Phila.
1 Arizona with a former league MVP and maybe future HOF
1 Balitmore: Still up in the air. Everyone knows they made it because of their defense.

3 of the 4 teams have outstanding QB's that have had great success in this league over a period of time. When's the last time Buffalo could say they had a QB who was successful for more than 1 season?

HHURRICANE
01-16-2009, 09:10 AM
STUPID POST!!!

If people honestly think that QB is our biggest issue right now than they haven't been watching the games.

You don't find it the least bit coincidental that Edwards slump was in direct relation to Josh Reed getting hurt?

DraftBoy
01-16-2009, 10:42 AM
Trent may be unproven, but he hasn't shown that he can't be a very good QB in this league.

We have DEs, LBs and Cs - and some would argue for players at several other positions - who have proven conclusively that they cannot play in this league.

I would rather address those positions where we have a known and demonstrated lack of talent, before we jump again into the QB position, which has at least shown some promise.

I think that's exactly what he's shown, he's shown he can be a good QB but he's also shown he can't be, and that he can be rattled and will play scared. Which Trent shows up in 09? We don't know yet, and hopefully its the good one. Im not saying QB is a huge issue but assuming we are set there is imo a mistake. I advocating taking a QB in the mid rounds last year, Ill do the same this year. We desperately need a project QB on this team to develop.

justasportsfan
01-16-2009, 10:57 AM
and a couple of additional receiving weapons.

Our staff tried that already and they failed because they promoted a Turd. Bringing in more weapons isn't gonna do us any good if our OC sucks.

DraftBoy
01-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Our staff tried that already and they failed because they promoted a Turd. Bringing in more weapons isn't gonna do us any good if our OC sucks.

Judging rookie WR's, one of whom was extremely raw coming out is quite short sighted of you. Its not the OC's fault Hardy struggled to adjust to the pro game.

justasportsfan
01-16-2009, 12:13 PM
Judging rookie WR's, one of whom was extremely raw coming out is quite short sighted of you. Its not the OC's fault Hardy struggled to adjust to the pro game.

Don't you sometimes wonder how everyone we brought in seem to struggle and yet those that other teams drafted in the later rds. didn't ? Even Trent struggled compared to Flacco , Ryan and Cassel inspite of having more experience than all of them combined. Like I pointed out in another thread , Eddie Royal and Desean Jackson have comparable nos. to Lee Evans.