PDA

View Full Version : now that some of the top players have decided to return to school

jimbohastle51
01-15-2009, 10:54 PM
what do we do at 11?? no greg hardy or jermaine gresham, honestly if orakpo isnt there i dont know who would be worth the pick at 11?? maybin is more of a DT (we arnt drafting a DT at 11 cause of the money we have in stroud and williams now) as well as raji from BC, we might be looking at a trade down scenario or draft mauluga or larinitis or curry, what are your opinions people?? with what our need are it hurts that hardy and gresham are not available (there is no center worth a high 1st or TE now for that matter, and with hardy going back to school, there are 1 less pure pass rushers available which just makes them more scarse) should be interesting, not like past drafts where you kinda know where there gonna go with the pick, do any of you think now it is just best player available at 11?

PECKERWOOD
01-16-2009, 01:07 AM
I know.. No Hardy, I have yet to update my sig.

jamze132
01-16-2009, 01:35 AM
Just because a few guys who we thought were going to be there are going back to school doesn't necessarily mean we should stray from our plan. We still need to draft the best LB or DE available.

Yasgur's Farm
01-16-2009, 06:10 AM
It will for sure be 1 of the following top 12 rated players...

WR Michael Crabtree
OLB Aaron Curry
OT Eugene Monroe
CB Malcolm Jenkins (Not likely)
OT Michael Oher
OT Andre Smith
QB Matthew Stafford
OT Jason Smith
QB Mark Sanchez
RB Knowshon Moreno
DE Brian Orakpu (Likely)
DE Everette Brown (Likely)

That doesn't exactly make me feel bad or cause me to panic either!

DraftBoy
01-16-2009, 07:24 AM
If Curry is there the pick is easy imo. Otherwise is gets more difficult. We'll know more once workouts start and finish about guys official sized and times but right now its quite a jumbeled mess.

jimbohastle51
01-16-2009, 10:58 AM
If Curry is there the pick is easy imo. Otherwise is gets more difficult. We'll know more once workouts start and finish about guys official sized and times but right now its quite a jumbeled mess.

i'll be at the senior bowl next saturday draftboy if your going to be there. we will get to see curry against all the top talent seniors in the nation there. i want to see harell as well and see how he stacks up against elite competion at the corner and saftey position.

jimbohastle51
01-16-2009, 11:01 AM
Just because a few guys who we thought were going to be there are going back to school doesn't necessarily mean we should stray from our plan. We still need to draft the best LB or DE available.

i am far from worried i am just curious if curry is gone (there is a VERY good chance especially now that spikes is going back to school) in the first round and orakpo is gone do the bills just take the best player available or trade down for a need. our "plan" i am guessing is a DE,TE,C but what if there is no DE or TE worth a 11th pick? that was what i meant. i am curious to see how many people would be ok if the bills went a different direction, such as maybe they do take a tackle with 11 if no DE or TE is there and they cant get value for the pick.

DraftBoy
01-16-2009, 11:02 AM
i'll be at the senior bowl next saturday draftboy if your going to be there. we will get to see curry against all the top talent seniors in the nation there. i want to see harell as well and see how he stacks up against elite competion at the corner and saftey position.

I won't be there unfortunately even though its only a few hours from my house. Once I start getting paid to do this, Ill be there though! :up:

Pinkerton Security
01-16-2009, 11:06 AM
what about Maybin? Some feel he is the best pure pass rusher in the class.

DraftBoy
01-16-2009, 11:06 AM
what about Maybin? Some feel he is the best pure pass rusher in the class.

He came out way too early imo. He is too light, too immature and has such little seasoning I see him as a developmental pick. I would not take him right now at all.

bigbub2352
01-16-2009, 11:29 AM
I think the Bills will take Malcom Jenkins CB OSU, they are gonna let McGee walk after the 09 season and McKelvin and Jenkins will be signed for 4 to 5 yrs together then they will both walk in free agency and the process will start all over again
come on guys same regime nothing will change
Jenkins is awesome dont get me wrong just how i see it going down
I held firm on my Devin Thomas pick last year and this year it will be Jenkins if he falls he will be the pick

jamze132
01-16-2009, 12:42 PM
i am far from worried i am just curious if curry is gone (there is a VERY good chance especially now that spikes is going back to school) in the first round and orakpo is gone do the bills just take the best player available or trade down for a need. our "plan" i am guessing is a DE,TE,C but what if there is no DE or TE worth a 11th pick? that was what i meant. i am curious to see how many people would be ok if the bills went a different direction, such as maybe they do take a tackle with 11 if no DE or TE is there and they cant get value for the pick.
I hear ya. If there isn't an OLB, DE, or starting C available worth taking at #11, it does become very interesting as to what we should do. I think it also depends on who is available from other positions. And I would bet that there would be teams knocking on our door to trade picks with us. We could use it to our advantage to slip down later in the first and acquire another 2nd rounder, possibly more in the process.

T-Long
01-16-2009, 01:13 PM
I held firm on my Devin Thomas pick last year and this year it will be Jenkins if he falls he will be the pick

So we should bank on your pick....why? Last time I checked, Thomas was in a Redskin uni.

Mitchell55
01-16-2009, 01:17 PM
Check my sig.

Michael82
01-16-2009, 01:20 PM
I think the Bills will take Malcom Jenkins CB OSU, they are gonna let McGee walk after the 09 season and McKelvin and Jenkins will be signed for 4 to 5 yrs together then they will both walk in free agency and the process will start all over again
come on guys same regime nothing will change
Jenkins is awesome dont get me wrong just how i see it going down
If the Bills take another CB with the 1st pick, I'm going to puke. It's the farthest thing from my mind as a need right now. We have McGee, McKelvin, Youboty, Corner. I don't see it as a priority. :ill: :mad:

Mitchell55
01-16-2009, 01:22 PM
If the Bills take another CB with the 1st pick, I'm going to puke. It's the farthest thing from my mind as a need right now. We have McGee, McKelvin, Youboty, Corner. I don't see it as a priority. :ill: :mad:

Me too. Jenkins is a dumb move, thats like the titans taking a RB.

psubills62
01-16-2009, 01:27 PM
what do we do at 11?? no greg hardy or jermaine gresham, honestly if orakpo isnt there i dont know who would be worth the pick at 11?? maybin is more of a DT (we arnt drafting a DT at 11 cause of the money we have in stroud and williams now) as well as raji from BC, we might be looking at a trade down scenario or draft mauluga or larinitis or curry, what are your opinions people?? with what our need are it hurts that hardy and gresham are not available (there is no center worth a high 1st or TE now for that matter, and with hardy going back to school, there are 1 less pure pass rushers available which just makes them more scarse) should be interesting, not like past drafts where you kinda know where there gonna go with the pick, do any of you think now it is just best player available at 11?

I'm not sure how many people read your post...but seriously? I hope you don't actually mean that Maybin is "more of a DT." The guy is 245 pound if you're generous...did you mean an OLB?

So you would be willing to draft a DE, despite the money we're spending on Kelsay and Schobel, but not a DT because of the money we're spending on Stroud and Williams (which is practically nothing compared to other positions, btw)?

Wow...I'll just make a couple more comments and be on my way, because your post didn't make much sense at all to me, sorry.

Everette Brown, DE, looks very good at #11. I don't like Maybin as a DE at 11 because of what Draftboy said, he needs too much time to develop. I'm also a big fan of Maclin at our pick, mainly because this offense needs a playmaker.

Pinkerton Security
01-16-2009, 01:30 PM
I'm not sure how many people read your post...but seriously? I hope you don't actually mean that Maybin is "more of a DT." The guy is 245 pound if you're generous...did you mean an OLB?

So you would be willing to draft a DE, despite the money we're spending on Kelsay and Schobel, but not a DT because of the money we're spending on Stroud and Williams (which is practically nothing compared to other positions, btw)?

Wow...I'll just make a couple more comments and be on my way, because your post didn't make much sense at all to me, sorry.

Everette Brown, DE, looks very good at #11. I don't like Maybin as a DE at 11 because of what Draftboy said, he needs too much time to develop. I'm also a big fan of Maclin at our pick, mainly because this offense needs a playmaker.

ya from what i've read, maybin is even closer to 235, and is regarded as perhaps too small for a DE. But lots of guys get that rap out of college (Dumervil, Freeney, others come to mind) that people think "ya they produced in college only because the lineman arent as big and strong", but production is production, and i think if he is quick enough with good technique, size isnt everything.

psubills62
01-16-2009, 01:41 PM
ya from what i've read, maybin is even closer to 235, and is regarded as perhaps too small for a DE. But lots of guys get that rap out of college (Dumervil, Freeney, others come to mind) that people think "ya they produced in college only because the lineman arent as big and strong", but production is production, and i think if he is quick enough with good technique, size isnt everything.

Don't get me wrong, Maybin has the opportunity, abilities, and speed to be a very good DE (4-3) or OLB (3-4) in this league. However, he's very, very raw and will need a couple years of development...a couple years that this coaching staff and this team just can't really afford waiting for a good pass rusher.

If we're going to get a project DE, I'd rather go for one in the second day, not with our first round pick. IMO, he's more of a prospect for teams that are trying to rebuild, since he'll grow with the other guys they get.

jimbohastle51
01-16-2009, 01:49 PM
He came out way too early imo. He is too light, too immature and has such little seasoning I see him as a developmental pick. I would not take him right now at all.

couldnt agree more, honestly if he put on some bulk he would make a nice 2nd to 4th round 4-3 DT. very raw player and not the quickest learner.

psubills62
01-16-2009, 01:58 PM
couldnt agree more, honestly if he put on some bulk he would make a nice 2nd to 4th round 4-3 DT. very raw player and not the quickest learner.

DT? or DE? Because even if he put on 40 pounds, he'd be a little light for a DT.

jimbohastle51
01-16-2009, 01:59 PM

maybin is not pollished and is not first round pick talent right now. second at the next level he wont be a great pass rusher IN MY OPINION and when he runs at the combine and you see his pro day you'll see what i mean, BUT i think if he puts on 20-30lbs. i think strength wise he could kick in side on a 4-3 team and play DT, like spencer johnson kinda (plays both positions). everette brown again IN MY OPINION would be a outside linebacker in a 3-4 system i dont see him being a 4-3 defensive end (and we play 4-3) now if we played 3-4 he would be a good pick at 11 but i dont see him being any more that a situational pass rusher in a 4-3 and you dont take a situational pass rusher at 11 unless they are freakish. and YES in my opinion and these are only my opinions that are posted on a opinionated message board, i would spend more money on a DE than another DT, though schoebel and kelsay are paid handsomely if a stud pass rusher was drafted he would get ALOT of playing time regardless of kelsay, but if we draft a DT at 11 looking at the DTs that are going to be there do you really think they would play ahead of stroud or williams (who just got a big extension)? no, in a rotation he wouldnt get used as much. but if there is a better DT than DE at 11 and we stay there and pick i dont make the decisions.

jimbohastle51
01-16-2009, 02:02 PM
DT? or DE? Because even if he put on 40 pounds, he'd be a little light for a DT.

no he wouldnt, there are plenty of 4-3 DT's that are around 280-290 (with the weight i suggested he put on) that play and rush the passer from inside. i have no problem with you wanting to clarify my postings but if your defending him because he is a penn state guy remember he doesnt play for penn state anymore and he will be picked apart by everyone from from this point until draft day.

bigbub2352
01-16-2009, 02:03 PM
So we should bank on your pick....why? Last time I checked, Thomas was in a Redskin uni.

Just a prediciton duhhhhhh

justasportsfan
01-16-2009, 02:37 PM
no greg hardy or jermaine gresham,

we'll draft them next year.

Pinkerton Security
01-16-2009, 02:43 PM

agreed. idk what makes people think "ya he can just add weight and become a DT."

people say orakpo is too small to play DE and hes bigger than Maybin, then others say maybin can add some weight and play DT. makes no sense to me.

thats like saying orakpo is fast, and if he loses 30 pounds he could become a safety. its not gona happen.

DraftBoy
01-16-2009, 03:53 PM

Dumervil was close to 250 and Freeney was close to 260 on Draft day in their classes. Maybin may be under 240 that scared the hell out of me.

Pinkerton Security
01-16-2009, 06:23 PM
Dumervil was close to 250 and Freeney was close to 260 on Draft day in their classes. Maybin may be under 240 that scared the hell out of me.

which is even more reason for the argument that maybin could slide inside to be ridiculous.

jimbohastle51
01-16-2009, 07:13 PM
which is even more reason for the argument that maybin could slide inside to be ridiculous.

my reasoning with it is i just dont see him being fast enough rushing from the outside in the NFL but there are analysts that believe he has the quickest first step coming out of college. i feel if he put on 40 pounds he could rush from the inside like a justin tuck maybe or a spencer johnson but i dont think he will exell outside.