PDA

View Full Version : What if we moved down and our first three picks were...

BillsWin
01-15-2009, 11:41 PM
(LOW) 1st Round: Brandon Pettigrew TE OSU (oklahoma state)

2nd pick: Connor Barwin DE Cincinatti

3rd Pick: Antoine Caldwell C Alabama

What do you think about THAT!

PECKERWOOD
01-16-2009, 12:00 AM
Why are we drafting in the low first round? I thought we were drafting at 11? Barwin would be nice in the 2nd but if we were going to reach for a player in the 1st round, I would rather that it be a guy like Percy Harvin outta Florida instead of taking a TE.

BillsWin
01-16-2009, 12:30 AM
Why are we drafting in the low first round? I thought we were drafting at 11? Barwin would be nice in the 2nd but if we were going to reach for a player in the 1st round, I would rather that it be a guy like Percy Harvin outta Florida instead of taking a TE.

The title says we moved down.

PECKERWOOD
01-16-2009, 01:02 AM
The title says we moved down.

I WANT TO SEE THE 4TH PICK.

X-Era
01-16-2009, 06:08 AM
(LOW) 1st Round: Brandon Pettigrew TE OSU (oklahoma state)

2nd pick: Connor Barwin DE Cincinatti

3rd Pick: Antoine Caldwell C Alabama

What do you think about THAT!

I would say we got 2 out of 3 right.. or more accurately that I was happy with 2 of the 3.

Barwin strikes me as yet another Schobel/Denney/Kelsay type... pass.

TedMock
01-16-2009, 07:09 AM
Walter football doesn't have any more credibility than anybody else, but I do like this morning's mock. They have us taking Brian Orakpo, Alex Unger and Jared Cook.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2009.php

Jan Reimers
01-16-2009, 07:20 AM
Our number 1 priority is to get some pressure on the opposing QB. There will be an impact DE or OLB available at 11. We should concentrate on fixing our pass rush, and the higher we draft, the better our chance of doing that.

DraftBoy
01-16-2009, 07:21 AM
Pettigrew caught no TD's this year in a pass happy O and thats a concern plus his off the field concerns from last year. His stock is down and taking him in the 1st or even 2nd round at this point may be too early. He needs some good workouts.

Barwin isn't a bad pick, but he's another high motor guy. But he is more athletic than a Schobel or Kelsay.

Caldwell isnt bad but again I think taking him before Round 4 is a reach.

RedEyE
01-16-2009, 07:22 AM
I agree with most in that the Bills need to use that 11th overall on a stud DE.

DraftBoy
01-16-2009, 07:24 AM
I agree with most in that the Bills need to use that 11th overall on a stud DE.

May not be one available at 11, or at least one who can come in year 1 and really help us. Does that change the mindset any?

Jan Reimers
01-16-2009, 07:25 AM
Walter football doesn't have any more credibility than anybody else, but I do like this morning's mock. They have us taking Brian Orakpo, Alex Unger and Jared Cook.

That would be a great draft, particularly if we used free agency on a veteran DE and OLB.

RedEyE
01-16-2009, 07:31 AM
May not be one available at 11, or at least one who can come in year 1 and really help us. Does that change the mindset any?

Of course. Move up (if you can get a team to bite). I like multiple draft picks as much as the next guy, but this team can't afford another mediocre, run-of-the-mill, fill your Special Teams roster draft.

They have a slew of middle rung and bottom rung talent. Time to jump a little higher on the ladder.

DraftBoy
01-16-2009, 07:38 AM
Of course. Move up (if you can get a team to bite). I like multiple draft picks as much as the next guy, but this team can't afford another mediocre, run-of-the-mill, fill your Special Teams roster draft.

They have a slew of middle rung and bottom rung talent. Time to jump a little higher on the ladder.

Decent idea but you've got to think of not just cost of moving up but also contractually. Do we have an owner willing to pay a top 7 pick?? I dont think Ralph's cheap but if we are active in FA (which I think we will be) when does he say enough is enough?

User Manuel
01-16-2009, 07:42 AM
I think we would all be *****in that no "impact" move was made.

I haven't hid the fact that I want Muaulaga here, but this team needs Significant Veteran help now starting at Center and DL (Pass Rush)

RedEyE
01-16-2009, 07:47 AM
Decent idea but you've got to think of not just cost of moving up but also contractually. Do we have an owner willing to pay a top 7 pick?? I dont think Ralph's cheap but if we are active in FA (which I think we will be) when does he say enough is enough?

I guess that's a question that begs to be answered.

I know the Bills use a draft by commitee approach, so the likely hood of them moving up is highly unlikely as those holding revenue will unfortunetly have a more formidable opinion then those that actually know the game.

But, in the event the Bills were able to look passed the monetary excuses for just a moment... and score a top 10 player, would negotiations stall late into the off season keeping the bruting talent off the field and out of training camps?

History says yes.

And really, how can Ralph fight the NFL powers that be then turn around and fork over the cash that he claims not to be able to spend?

So, I guess while it is a good idea...it should probably better be described as an average pipe dream wrapped tightly in another .500 season.

DraftBoy
01-16-2009, 08:01 AM
At this point without 2 or 3 significant upgrades we won't be .500 next season.

patmoran2006
01-16-2009, 08:10 AM
I still say based no recent history that rookie LB's have the best immediate impacts on a defense.

Address DE via FA. and if one of the top 2 LB's are available at 11, take them.. EVen if its an inside guy, you can move Poz out to the strong side.

X-Era
01-17-2009, 08:44 AM

It would in my mind.

I think you then look at other positions or trading down. I say trading down is a real option because I also dont see much at our other big needs (C, OLB, or TE). That list may be even smaller due to free agency. At that point, we may want to reposition ourselves in the draft to take advantage of where we think this or that will be.

That said, if you have less needs due to free agency, you can look at other areas as well, Maclin may make sense then.

X-Era
01-17-2009, 08:46 AM

No problem with that thought either.

X-Era
01-17-2009, 08:49 AM
I still say based no recent history that rookie LB's have the best immediate impacts on a defense.

Address DE via FA. and if one of the top 2 LB's are available at 11, take them.. EVen if its an inside guy, you can move Poz out to the strong side.

So I disagree. I dont see Laurinitis or Maualuga being worth the 11 pick... maybe more like 15. But I also concede that its way too early to be picky about a guy not being worth getting picked say 5 picks to high.

TigerJ
01-17-2009, 10:12 AM

I'd be thrilled with that result!