PDA

View Full Version : The Bills for 2008 were 7 and 1 with...

HHURRICANE
01-16-2009, 09:15 AM
The Bills were 7 and 1 with Edwards and Reed on the field starting and finishing a game together.

If people don't think that getting weapons for Edwards would be huge, or that QB is the problem, that stat alone should tell you everything you need to know.

Our losing streak was directly related to the games that Reed missed starting in Miami where Hardy dropped all 3 passes that were thrown to him while filling in for Josh in the second half.

OpIv37
01-16-2009, 09:16 AM
dude that's a loaded stat. Look at the level of competition we played in those games vs the level of competition in the other games....

HHURRICANE
01-16-2009, 09:20 AM
dude that's a loaded stat. Look at the level of competition we played in those games vs the level of competition in the other games....

That's ridiculous. It's a loaded stat? It's a fact.

tat2dmike77
01-16-2009, 09:32 AM
Yes it is a fact. A fact that edwards is a overrated POS and will just be anther failure at the QB like so many before him.

psubills62
01-16-2009, 09:35 AM
The Bills were 7 and 1 with Edwards and Reed on the field starting and finishing a game together.

If people don't think that getting weapons for Edwards would be huge, or that QB is the problem, that stat alone should tell you everything you need to know.

Our losing streak was directly related to the games that Reed missed starting in Miami where Hardy dropped all 3 passes that were thrown to him while filling in for Josh in the second half.

I agree with OpIv that it doesn't tell the whole story, but I do agree with you that we NEED more weapons for Edwards. And if we didn't get at least one WR in this draft, it would be an absolute shame because it is loaded top to bottom.

Want to replace Parrish with a guy who runs very good routes and has decent hands? Look at Jarrett Dillard and Deon Butler in the second day. Want another tall guy who is more polished than Hardy? Look at Kenny Britt in the second round (hopefully), or Aaron Kelly in the second day. There are so many WR's and we desperately need one.

Billsfan3
01-16-2009, 09:39 AM
good stat

ddaryl
01-16-2009, 09:45 AM
Yes it is a fact. A fact that edwards is a overrated POS and will just be anther failure at the QB like so many before him.

please go into full detail on why you feel this way and please use stats and game day analysis to back up your point.

I find your statement to be pretty rediculous. Edwards is solid and only had a handful of bad games. Those bad games can equally be attributed to bad coaching, bad running game, bad OL play and/or bad team effort in general.

BUT overall Edwards 1st year as a starter was pretty good, with the only real question being his durability. Better OL play should help both his consistency and his durability issue, as well as being able ot depend upon a consistent running game.

bflobarry
01-16-2009, 10:15 AM
Wow. I hope you don't consider yourself a Bills fan, 'cuz this kind of miserable, negative crap has no place in a discussion by Bills FANS about their team. "Edwards is a (sic) overrated POS , blah, blah, blah". No, actually, he's not, but you, for sure, are.

mayotm
01-16-2009, 10:20 AM
Yes it is a fact. A fact that edwards is a overrated POS and will just be anther failure at the QB like so many before him.Wow. You don't have to like Edwards or think that he will be a good QB. But isn't POS a bit extreme?

HHURRICANE
01-16-2009, 11:07 AM
When Reed and Edwards are on the field they win games.

Edwards, is not the problem. I've made the case that you can insert your favorite QB in Edwards slot and it doesn't change the outcome. Especially going into 2009.

It's obvious that a solid #2 and a pass catching TE would have a huge impact on this roster.

The fact that Josh Reed has such a huge impact on our offensive production just exemplifies the GIANT hole we have.

The Hardy pick has been nothing short of a joke.

Crazygoo
01-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Its a good stat but you can put anything together and make it look good

HHURRICANE
01-16-2009, 11:44 AM
Its a good stat but you can put anything together and make it look good

Like...

acehole
01-16-2009, 11:57 AM
To bad the season wasnt 8 games long.

Apparently the argument in years past was "weapons dont make the qb...qb makes the weapons" And lack of weapons were an excuse to cover for poor QB play. It would seem some have changed thier thought on this....

Learning is fun.

HHURRICANE
01-16-2009, 12:00 PM
To bad the season wasnt 8 games long.

Apparently the argument in years past was "weapons dont make the qb...qb makes the weapons" And lack of weapons were an excuse to cover for poor QB play. It would seem some have changed thier thought on this....

Learning is fun.

Do you actually read your posts?

This is probably one of the dumber things I've read out of you.

JD
01-16-2009, 01:51 PM
Thank you.

Edwards will win us a Super Bowl within the next 4 years. Someone put this in their sig so everyone can give me their zonebucks when it happens.

patmoran2006
01-16-2009, 02:23 PM
also tells me we got two guys that can only stay healthy for half the season.

cocamide
01-16-2009, 02:37 PM
Thank you.

Edwards will win us a Super Bowl within the next 4 years. Someone put this in their sig so everyone can give me their zonebucks when it happens.

Are you giving up your zonebucks if it doesn't happen?

yordad
01-16-2009, 02:48 PM
I find this hard to believe. Can we get a breakdown? Either way, it is a wack stat. That is like saying "the Bills were 2-0 during 1pm games while winning the coin flip. It's all about the time and flip."

Ingtar33
01-16-2009, 03:57 PM
I find this hard to believe. Can we get a breakdown?

No he's right.

I made the same point when we were tail-spinning, that the Bills hadn't won, or moved the ball since Reed went down with an injury.

If you watched the games Edwards played with Reed, then compare them to the games without, he looks like two different QBs.

Reed got hurt vs Miami in week 8, and missed the next 3 games (all losses) vs the Jets, Pats and Browns

Edwards was hurt and didn't finish the Cards game and the SF game. He also failed to start the two games after the SF game (Miami and NY) both losses.

Of the 8 games they both played in from start to finish the Bills were 7-1
SEA, JAK, OAK, STL, SD, KC, DEN - all wins
NE - loss

Edwards stats in the games Reed played in were (where they both finished the game)

158 Completions
231 Attempts
1785 Yards
68.4% Completion%
8TD
2INT
14 Sacks
3 fumbles lost
99.2 Rating

Sacked on 5.7% of dropbacks
Negative Plays (INT/SACK/FUMBLE) 7.7% of dropbacks
Bills offense Averaged 27 points a game

Edwards stats in the games Reed did not finish the game
74 Completions
119 Attempts
784 Yards
62.1% Completions
3TD
8INT
9 Sacks
2 fumbles lost
61.7 Rating

sacked on 7.0% of dropbacks
Negative Plays (INT/SACK/FUMBLE) 14.8% of dropbacks
Bills offense Averaged 17 points a game

Philagape
01-16-2009, 04:02 PM
Having Reed helps, but once again the message-board disease of "IT WAS ALL BECAUSE OF THIS" is rampant.

Missing Reed hurt.
Getting hurt hurt.
Playing better teams hurt.
Playing poorly at times hurt.

ALL OF THE ABOVE.

acehole
01-16-2009, 04:15 PM
Do you actually read your posts?

This is probably one of the dumber things I've read out of you.

Now you know what I put up with in years past.

I am agreeing with your premise.....The more you give a qb the more he can do well.

He likes a dumpoff guy and we have no real tight end threat.

Give a qb what he needs and he has a fighting chance.

Build an offence on the cheap and blast his confidence.

JD
01-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Are you giving up your zonebucks if it doesn't happen?
Yeap

acehole
01-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Excuses ....excuses....

You forgot it was to cold for the stanford boys tootsies.

Having Reed helps, but once again the message-board disease of "IT WAS ALL BECAUSE OF THIS" is rampant.

Missing Reed hurt.
Getting hurt hurt.
Playing better teams hurt.
Playing poorly at times hurt.

ALL OF THE ABOVE.

tat2dmike77
01-16-2009, 05:38 PM
please go into full detail on why you feel this way and please use stats and game day analysis to back up your point.

I find your statement to be pretty rediculous. Edwards is solid and only had a handful of bad games. Those bad games can equally be attributed to bad coaching, bad running game, bad OL play and/or bad team effort in general.

BUT overall Edwards 1st year as a starter was pretty good, with the only real question being his durability. Better OL play should help both his consistency and his durability issue, as well as being able ot depend upon a consistent running game.

Oh i forgot Edwards is the Golden Boy who is going to lead the Bills to a super bowl. As long as the Bills play sub par teams and the temp doesn't drop below 50 degrees then he will be ok.

Sorry but QB's who are going to be good don't tank like he did this year
<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>8</TD><TD align=left>@MIA</TD><TD align=left>L 25-16 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=281026015) </TD><TD>21</TD><TD>35</TD><TD>227</TD><TD>60.0</TD><TD>33</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>67.2</TD><TD>4</TD><TD>17</TD><TD>4.3</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>9</TD><TD align=left>NYJ</TD><TD align=left>L 26-17 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=281102002) </TD><TD>24</TD><TD>35</TD><TD>289</TD><TD>68.6</TD><TD>42</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>79.3</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>-1</TD><TD>-1.0</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>10</TD><TD align=left>@NE</TD><TD align=left>L 20-10 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=281109017) </TD><TD>13</TD><TD>23</TD><TD>120</TD><TD>56.5</TD><TD>15</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>49.2</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0.0</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>11</TD><TD align=left>CLE</TD><TD align=left>L 29-27 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=281117002) </TD><TD>16</TD><TD>26</TD><TD>148</TD><TD>61.5</TD><TD>22</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>50.3</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>2.3</TD><TD>1</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

11 TD's to 10 INTs is not great or even good it is average and that is all it is

His career 18 TD's to 18 INTs is average as well.

Even in the games he won (against fodder teams) he still had sub par games

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=colhead align=right><TD></TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=left>SEA</TD><TD align=left>W 34-10 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=280907002) </TD><TD>19</TD><TD>30</TD><TD>215</TD><TD>63.3</TD><TD>41</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>95.8</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>-1</TD><TD>-1.0</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>2</TD><TD align=left>@JAC</TD><TD align=left>W 20-16 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=280914030) </TD><TD>20</TD><TD>25</TD><TD>239</TD><TD>80.0</TD><TD>37</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>119.8</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>-1</TD><TD>-1.0</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>3</TD><TD align=left>OAK</TD><TD align=left>W 24-23 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=280921002) </TD><TD>24</TD><TD>39</TD><TD>279</TD><TD>61.5</TD><TD>34</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>81.0</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>9</TD><TD>4.5</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>4</TD><TD align=left>@STL</TD><TD align=left>W 31-14 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=280928014) </TD><TD>15</TD><TD>25</TD><TD>197</TD><TD>60.0</TD><TD>49</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>81.6</TD><TD>5</TD><TD>8</TD><TD>1.6</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>5</TD><TD align=left>@ARI</TD><TD align=left>L 41-17 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=281005022) </TD><TD>3</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>18</TD><TD>100.0</TD><TD>13</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>91.7</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0.0</TD><TD>0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
*the AZ game he gets a pass for getting injured*

Sorry but these are not great career stats either. Oh and please don't give me the "Well Manning didn't have a good first couple of years either" arguement. This guy is no Manning.
<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=colhead align=right><TD align=left width="8%">YEAR</TD><TD align=left width="8%">TEAM</TD><TD>G</TD><TD>CMP</TD><TD>ATT</TD><TD>PCT</TD><TD>YDS</TD><TD>AVG</TD><TD>TD</TD><TD>LNG</TD><TD>INT</TD><TD>RAT</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>2007</TD><TD align=left>BUF</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>151</TD><TD>269</TD><TD>56.1</TD><TD>1630</TD><TD>6.1</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>70</TD><TD>8</TD><TD>70.4</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>2008</TD><TD align=left>BUF</TD><TD>14</TD><TD>245</TD><TD>374</TD><TD>65.5</TD><TD>2699</TD><TD>7.2</TD><TD>11</TD><TD>65</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>85.4</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD align=left colSpan=2>Career</TD><TD>24</TD><TD>396</TD><TD>643</TD><TD>61.6</TD><TD>4329</TD><TD>6.7</TD><TD>18</TD><TD>70</TD><TD>18</TD><TD>79.1</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

And of course lets look at 2007 when he could of led this team to a possible wildcard but instead he and the Bills took thier usual dump.

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>15</TD><TD align=left>@CLE</TD><TD align=left>L 8-0 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=271216005) </TD><TD>13</TD><TD>33</TD><TD>124</TD><TD>39.4</TD><TD>3.76</TD><TD>21</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0.0</TD><TD>50.6</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>12.0</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>16</TD><TD align=left>NYG</TD><TD align=left>L 38-21 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=271223002) </TD><TD>9</TD><TD>26</TD><TD>161</TD><TD>34.6</TD><TD>6.19</TD><TD>42</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>3.0</TD><TD>42.8</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>3.5</TD><TD>8</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>17</TD><TD align=left>@PHI</TD><TD align=left>L 17-9 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=271230021) </TD><TD>16</TD><TD>30</TD><TD>133</TD><TD>53.3</TD><TD>4.43</TD><TD>24</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0.0</TD><TD>65.0</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>17</TD><TD>5.7</TD><TD>14</TD><TD>0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I'm sick of people sticking up for this guy and coming to his defense. For every edwards arguement there is someone there to make and excuse for him. I'm sick of hearing "oh well the line played bad." or "the run game never got started." You know what good QB's make plays and make things happen. This guy does neither he looks for the 10 yard bomb ( because with him 10 yards is a bomb) and if it's not there he dumps it off. Keep hanging on to the dream that this guy will win because like the Losman years it's going to be a long ride.

tat2dmike77
01-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Wow. I hope you don't consider yourself a Bills fan, 'cuz this kind of miserable, negative crap has no place in a discussion by Bills FANS about their team. "Edwards is a (sic) overrated POS , blah, blah, blah". No, actually, he's not, but you, for sure, are.

Yeah i don't. The Bills tats all the gear the yearly trips to see games those are just for show.

God forbid someone look at Edwards and see him for what he really is OVERRATED!

jamze132
01-17-2009, 12:47 AM
It is an interesting stat that the Bills tend to win games when Trent Edwards and Josh Reed both play. Is it also sad? I would say.

But I would say that a huge reason we lost this season was the questionable play calling all year on both sides of the ball. The coaching didn't put these players in the position consistently to be successful.

If Josh Reed makes your offense go, then you have serious issues.

yordad
01-17-2009, 07:14 AM
Wow. I hope you don't consider yourself a Bills fan, 'cuz this kind of miserable, negative crap has no place in a discussion by Bills FANS about their team.hUH? Is this part sarcaism?

I've made the case that you can insert your favorite QB in Edwards slot and it doesn't change the outcome. Especially going into 2009.
hUH? Not a winning case, that's for sure.

Of the 8 games they both played in from start to finish the Bills were 7-1
SEA, JAK, OAK, STL, SD, KC, DEN - all wins
NE - lossCan you pick out another fairly consistant common denominator? The 4-3 defense. If one makes the case the Cards played mostly 3-4 when we played them, then you can say the Bills went undefeated vs the 4-3, and 1-9 vs the 3-4.

It is an interesting stat that the Bills tend to win games when Trent Edwards and Josh Reed both play. Is it also sad? I would say.

But I would say that a huge reason we lost this season was the questionable play calling all year on both sides of the ball. The coaching didn't put these players in the position consistently to be successful.

If Josh Reed makes your offense go, then you have serious issues.I like this post.

billogic99
01-17-2009, 10:27 AM

What was the combined win/loss record of the teams they were 7-1 against? My guess is that was the bigger reason for the 7-1 record than Edwards and Reed on the field the whole game together. Besides that would lead some to believe the coaching staff isn't as bad as some think and we just can't have that.

tat2dmike77
01-17-2009, 11:10 AM
What was the combined win/loss record of the teams they were 7-1 against? My guess is that was the bigger reason for the 7-1 record than Edwards and Reed on the field the whole game together. Besides that would lead some to believe the coaching staff isn't as bad as some think and we just can't have that.

Don't say anything bad about the golden boy. People will say you are not a fan and don't know what your talking about. Trent Edwards yay he is the best he is going to win a super bowl for the bills just watch.

HHURRICANE
01-18-2009, 10:13 AM
Don't say anything bad about the golden boy. People will say you are not a fan and don't know what your talking about. Trent Edwards yay he is the best he is going to win a super bowl for the bills just watch.

Everybody here wants a quick fix. The easiest target is always QB. Look at Donovan McNabb. He got benched and now he's playing in the NFC Chamionship game. Is Donovan awesome now??

The Bills are not losing games because of the play at QB. Why don't you go back and look at some of the wins. Edwards was a big reason we won those games.

Peyton and Eli Manning are sitting home this weekend.

billogic99
01-18-2009, 07:49 PM
Everybody here wants a quick fix. The easiest target is always QB. Look at Donovan McNabb. He got benched and now he's playing in the NFC Chamionship game. Is Donovan awesome now??

The Bills are not losing games because of the play at QB. Why don't you go back and look at some of the wins. Edwards was a big reason we won those games.

Peyton and Eli Manning are sitting home this weekend.

I'm sorry but you need to blame Trent for the bad games too, you can't just give the guy credit for doing well than blame everyone else when he plays poorly. The Browns game was all Trent. Bad decisions, bad reads, poor throws. I think Trent is a good QB,but he's not now nor will he ever be a Peyton Manning or even Eli Manning. I know some Bill fans will disagree, but he just isn't that type of player, his talent level isn't that high.

He will play 5 or 6 games a year and look like a one of the better QB's doing so, but even when the Bills were winning the first 1/3 rd of the season Trent wasn't dominating at that time. Infact he looked pretty pedestrian during those games. Yes the guy is still young, but so was Big Ben, Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers and so is Joe Flacco and Matt Ryan. So inexperience only flys when you're looking for excuses.

Trent is also an injury concern, weekly. He's not the toughest QB in the league. The Bills need to make sure they have another guy ready to play and play well or they'll never go anywhere, cause I'd be willing to bet you'll never see Trent play a full season without missing time. At least his track record would suggest that to be true. As I said before I think the Bills were close with Trent, just not close enough. I think Trent would be a better backup, than starter...that of course is JMO. I think the Bills still need to address the QB position, I think they would be foolish to head into next season thinking they will make it through the year without having to either start someone else cause of injury or replace Trent due to lack of production.

X-Era
01-18-2009, 07:53 PM
Well theres this guy from Missouri who might just run under a 4.34 40, is 6' and 200 pounds. Ohh by the way, hes a pretty good receiver too.