PDA

View Full Version : Jackson may need to accept Bills' low-ball tender

shelby
01-17-2009, 09:41 AM
It's a fate that befalls a handful of players every year: unheralded late-round or undrafted find proves to be a revelation during his first few years, yet he can't cash in on his achievement during free agency because of his club's exclusive rights. That's precisely the situation facing Bills RB Fred Jackson. By most measures, the 27-year-old Coe College product has been a tremendous asset for Buffalo the last two years. The consummate teammate and citizen, he was at his best in '08, running for 571 yards and adding 317 yards on receptions as a no-nonsense complement and injury-replacement to Marshawn Lynch.

more..... (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+East/Buffalo/WWHI/2008/wwhi011609.htm)

yordad
01-17-2009, 09:46 AM
OK. I wonder if that writer got money for that piece.

superbills
01-17-2009, 11:24 AM
He should get paid...After all the money the organization has thrown at role players like Kelsay and Denney, Freddy should be seeing some significant money coming his way. He brings far more to the team than those two shlubs.

ddaryl
01-17-2009, 11:32 AM
it's a wait and see situation...

I believe the Bills will offer him a multi-year contract...

DraftBoy
01-17-2009, 01:18 PM
If the Bills don't offer him a Multi-Year deal then they damn well better intend to tender him with a 1st and 3rd Rd tender next year because he will have huge value and we better have Omon get more time this season then just in one game because he'll be the #2 in 2010.

jamze132
01-18-2009, 05:01 AM
If the Bills don't offer him a Multi-Year deal then they damn well better intend to tender him with a 1st and 3rd Rd tender next year because he will have huge value and we better have Omon get more time this season then just in one game because he'll be the #2 in 2010.
I agree with what you said about Jackson, but not Omon. He will be released before he is Lynch's primary back-up.

If this FO doesn't offer him a respectable deal, they deserve to be **** on by every agent and FA out there.

They have a chance to make a statement to the rest of their team and the NFL that if you come to our organization and perform without acting like a whining little *****, we will pay you even though we aren't obligated.

DraftBoy
01-18-2009, 04:25 PM
I agree with what you said about Jackson, but not Omon. He will be released before he is Lynch's primary back-up.

If this FO doesn't offer him a respectable deal, they deserve to be **** on by every agent and FA out there.

They have a chance to make a statement to the rest of their team and the NFL that if you come to our organization and perform without acting like a whining little *****, we will pay you even though we aren't obligated.

What in the wrld makes you think Omon is getting cut before he even gets a shot to really show us what he can do?

Kid had 6 total carries in 2008 yet we've determined everything there is that can do?

Yasgur's Farm
01-18-2009, 04:27 PM
We shouldn't drag Omon into this discussion... But... 6 opportunities in your rookie year is a big deal. I saw nothing to write home about.

X-Era
01-18-2009, 04:41 PM
it's a wait and see situation...

I believe the Bills will offer him a multi-year contract...

Yep, gotta agree. Well, let me rephrase, I would hope thats what the Bills do.

After McGee, Williams, Parrish, Denney, and Kelsay, this is another one of those.

But the truth is, hes better than any of them probably so the Bills would have to actually pay decent money... so they probably will stick it to him.

MarvLevy
01-18-2009, 05:26 PM
THIS is one guy you sign at all costs! HE needs to be a Bill for life..we need more players like him!

jamze132
01-19-2009, 02:36 AM
What in the wrld makes you think Omon is getting cut before he even gets a shot to really show us what he can do?

Kid had 6 total carries in 2008 yet we've determined everything there is that can do?
Omon will not be the primary backup to Lynch going into a season. Ever.

patmoran2006
01-19-2009, 06:46 AM
Get em, Ralph!
Lowball!

Ickybaluky
01-19-2009, 07:35 AM
This is an easy negotiation. With the CBA expiring, he has little leverage, he has 4 years before he has service time for unrestricted FA.

If you think he deserves the highest tender (first and 3rd) after this year, you are nuts. He is a RB, they aren't worth that. In fact, the 2nd round tender ($1.5M last year) is probably enough to disuade teams from signing him. The first round tender ($2M last year) is certain to keep teams from signing him. If they do, a 1st round pick is more than enough compensation, considering he won't be starting with Lynch there.

So, if you go high and assume he gets the higher tenders (assuming about 10% in tender increase each year), you have the contract to offer him:

- $500K tender as a Exclusive FA in 2009
- $2.4M tender as RFA in 2010
- $2.7M tender as RFA in 2011
- $$3M tender in RFA in 2012

So the Bills can hold onto his rights for the next 4 years for about $8.6M, before he reaches unrestricted FA on the wrong side of 30.

If you ask me, if the Bills offer him 4 years/$8.5M with some up-front money ($3M - $4M), they are negotiating fairly. I realize you guys think he deserves miore given his production, but the fact is he doesn't have a lot of options. That is the system, and the Bills aren't a charity.

jamze132
01-19-2009, 10:54 AM
This is an easy negotiation. With the CBA expiring, he has little leverage, he has 4 years before he has service time for unrestricted FA.

If you think he deserves the highest tender (first and 3rd) after this year, you are nuts. He is a RB, they aren't worth that. In fact, the 2nd round tender ($1.5M last year) is probably enough to disuade teams from signing him. The first round tender ($2M last year) is certain to keep teams from signing him. If they do, a 1st round pick is more than enough compensation, considering he won't be starting with Lynch there.

So, if you go high and assume he gets the higher tenders (assuming about 10% in tender increase each year), you have the contract to offer him:

So the Bills can hold onto his rights for the next 4 years for about $8.6M, before he reaches unrestricted FA on the wrong side of 30.

If you ask me, if the Bills offer him 4 years/$8.5M with some up-front money ($3M - $4M), they are negotiating fairly. I realize you guys think he deserves miore given his production, but the fact is he doesn't have a lot of options. That is the system, and the Bills aren't a charity.
No we are not a charity but how is it going to hurt to give the guy a little extra when we aren't obligated? We do have this little extra pocket change for selling our souls to Toronto...

lukabrossi
01-19-2009, 10:58 AM
they should franchise him.

DraftBoy
01-19-2009, 11:18 AM
Omon will not be the primary backup to Lynch going into a season. Ever.

Again what makes you say that? We took him for a reason, unless we are in fact a charity and its news to both I and NE39.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-19-2009, 11:36 AM

So the Bills can hold onto his rights for the next 4 years for about $8.6M, before he reaches unrestricted FA on the wrong side of 30. Hey, can you explain why Fred Jackson is going to hit free agency six years after he signed with the team? I know it has something to do with the CBA expiring but I don't get it. Also, what's all that stuff about the tenders you wrote?

I appreciate you help, I'm just starting to get involve in all these CBA and contracts and it's not easy.

chernobylwraiths
01-19-2009, 11:37 AM
We took him for a reason...

Not your strongest argument with this.

Although I agree with you. Omon has not had enough game time to have an opinion on one way or another.

Ickybaluky
01-19-2009, 11:51 AM
Hey, can you explain why Fred Jackson is going to hit free agency six years after he signed with the team? I know it has something to do with the CBA expiring but I don't get it. Also, what's all that stuff about the tenders you wrote?

I appreciate you help, I'm just starting to get involve in all these CBA and contracts and it's not easy.

Currently, we are in the last year of the salary cap, unless the CBA is extended. With the expiration of the salary cap, there are some rule changes that limit what teams can do in FA. One of those changes that effects Jackson, it is will take 6 years to become an unrestricted FA instead of the current 4 years.

Jackson currently has 2 years accrued, making him an exclusive rights FA that can't negotiate with other teams. That means he has to accept the Bills minimum tender ($500K), or not play next season.

For the next few seasons after that he will be restricted. A restricted FA is tendered by a team if they want to keep his rights. The tenders are on the following level:

1) Low level - $850K last year. This allows the team the ability to match any offer a player may receive or receive a draft pick from the team signing him equivalent to the round the player was drafted in. Because Jackson was undrafted, there would be no compensation if the Bills elected no to match.

2) 2nd round level - $1.3M last year. This allows the team the ability to match any offer or receive a 2nd round pick back.

3) 1st round level - $1.85M last year. This allows the team the ability to match any offer or receive a 1st round pick back.

4) Higest Level - $2.35M last year. This allows the team the ability to match any offer or receive a 1st round and 3rd round pick back.

The restricted signing period ends about a week before the draft, so at that point the player can't be signed elsewhere.

Basically, until he has 6 years in the NFL the Bills can hold onto Jackson's rights until he is 31 by tendering him. If he were to receive an offer, the Bills can either match it or receive compensation based on the level he is tendered at.

The RFA tender amounts go up each year, and the player has the right to receive the current tender amount or 110% of his prior year salary, whichever is greater. Once signed, the tender becomes a guaranteed 1-year deal.

DraftBoy
01-19-2009, 11:57 AM
Not your strongest argument with this.

Although I agree with you. Omon has not had enough game time to have an opinion on one way or another.

I could go on about the records he set in the DII playoffs last season running for nearly 800 yards in only 4 games, how his bruising style is ideal to burn a team that is already tired late in the game and on short yardage, or how his quick feet allow him to get through holes that other power backs cant. Or that he is a willing blocker in pass protection, though its not a strong suit of him. But why bother going into the details, if people are going to make up their minds based on 6 carries?

lukabrossi
01-19-2009, 12:04 PM
slap the franchise tag on him....end of discussion.

patmoran2006
01-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Actually,
Fred Jackson is the kind of very good, complimentary but not GREAT player that we tend to always severely overpay.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-19-2009, 12:22 PM
Currently, we are in the last year of the salary cap, unless the CBA is extended. With the expiration of the salary cap, there are some rule changes that limit what teams can do in FA. One of those changes that effects Jackson, it is will take 6 years to become an unrestricted FA instead of the current 4 years.

Jackson currently has 2 years accrued, making him an exclusive rights FA that can't negotiate with other teams. That means he has to accept the Bills minimum tender ($500K), or not play next season.

For the next few seasons after that he will be restricted. A restricted FA is tendered by a team if they want to keep his rights. The tenders are on the following level:

1) Low level - $850K last year. This allows the team the ability to match any offer a player may receive or receive a draft pick from the team signing him equivalent to the round the player was drafted in. Because Jackson was undrafted, there would be no compensation if the Bills elected no to match.

2) 2nd round level - $1.3M last year. This allows the team the ability to match any offer or receive a 2nd round pick back.

3) 1st round level - $1.85M last year. This allows the team the ability to match any offer or receive a 1st round pick back.

4) Higest Level - $2.35M last year. This allows the team the ability to match any offer or receive a 1st round and 3rd round pick back.

The restricted signing period ends about a week before the draft, so at that point the player can't be signed elsewhere.

Basically, until he has 6 years in the NFL the Bills can hold onto Jackson's rights until he is 31 by tendering him. If he were to receive an offer, the Bills can either match it or receive compensation based on the level he is tendered at.

The RFA tender amounts go up each year, and the player has the right to receive the current tender amount or 110% of his prior year salary, whichever is greater. Once signed, the tender becomes a guaranteed 1-year deal. Thank you. So basically every player that entered the league in 2007 or later is going to get screwed by the six years (instead of four) until they become UFA right?

Also, I think that only applies if a new CBA is not worked out.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-19-2009, 12:23 PM
slap the franchise tag on him....end of discussion. Why? That would be stupid.

Ickybaluky
01-19-2009, 12:25 PM
Thank you. So basically every player that entered the league in 2007 or later is going to get screwed by the six years (instead of four) until they become UFA right?

Also, I think that only applies if a new CBA is not worked out.

Basically, anybody due for UFA next year now has to wait 6 years instead of 4.

Now, some players have more leverage than others. If a guy is at the top of his position, he has a lot more leverage because teams want to keep them happy. However, Jackson does not fall in that class.

jamze132
01-19-2009, 02:56 PM
Again what makes you say that? We took him for a reason, unless we are in fact a charity and its news to both I and NE39.
Oh... call it a hunch.