• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Sabres are in 11th place overall...

out of the 30 teams in the league...

Considering how terrible they have been playing and how they've cashed it in for the season I guess I'll take it.

discuss.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.
  • Nighthawk
    Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
    • Jul 2002

Re: Sabres are in 11th place overall...

There not good enough to win a cup...case closed.

Comment

• Ebenezer
      Give me a minute...
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Nighthawk
      There not good enough to win a cup...case closed.
      Neither are 29 other teams...lines starts at the back.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Nighthawk
        Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ebenezer
        Weak arguement...

Comment

• Michael82
          • Jul 2002

That's what happens when your goalie finally steps up and carries the team on his shoulders. If it wasn't for Miller, this team would be towards the bottom of the league right now. He's having a very good month and a good season.

Comment

• Ebenezer
            Give me a minute...
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Nighthawk
            Weak arguement...
            ...but 100% true...

Comment

• JD
              Sabres Zone
              • Sep 2003

This team has the talent, just not the drive. The Boston game proved what they can do with a top cup contender.
              “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

What does this mean exactly? Yes, every season, 29 of the 30 teams go home without the Cup.

What does that have to do with the Sabres chances of making the playoffs or making a Cup run if they do make the playoffs? How does that excuse the mediocrity that this team has demonstrated over the last two years?

Your logic is basically "well everyone else is just as bad." Sorry, but that kind of attitude is exactly what I'm talking about when I say Buffalo sports fans have accepted mediocrity.

We're 11th in the league a little over halfway through the season. So what? There's no prize for that. That means there are 10 teams that are better, and the Sabres are going to have to win some games against them just to get into the playoffs, and they'll have to win 7 game series against 4 of them to win the Cup.

Why does everyone seem to forget that this team went to back to back conference finals less than two years ago? We're not talking about the Bills, who are constantly rebuilding and haven't been relevant in the last decade. The Sabres reached a point where there were only 2 more steps: getting to the finals and winning them. Instead of improving and taking those steps, we're talking about being satisfied 11th in the league and probably getting a low playoff seed? Woo-hoo, we're better than Ottawa, NYI, Toronto, Pittsburgh, Vancouver, Minnesota and a bunch of cities that shouldn't even have NHL teams in the first place .

Yes, only one team wins the Cup every season, but the goal is still to win the Cup. This team is barely ahead of where they were last year at this time and is leagues behind where they were two years ago at this time in terms of accomplishing that goal. That's simply not good enough.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Dozerdog
                  In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                  • Jul 2002

Check me if I'm wrong, but for next year, aren't we going to be in decent shape with cap shrinkage?

Max and Teppo won't be on the books- will we be in position to pick up some cap casualty bargains?

This year there are a lot of talented but under-performing teams. Carolina, Pittsburgh, Ottawa, a couple more.....hard to tell if we are doing great turning lemons into lemonade or if the rest of the competition just sucks more

Comment

• LABillsFan
                    • Aug 2002

While there is a case that the Sabres could compete in the Eastern Conference, there is no way they can match up with the West. Teams like SJ, Chi, Det and Cal are too balanced and every player on those teams initiate hits while going to the corners to fight for the puck.
                    I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Comment

• LABillsFan
                      • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                      Check me if I'm wrong, but for next year, aren't we going to be in decent shape with cap shrinkage?

Max and Teppo won't be on the books- will we be in position to pick up some cap casualty bargains?

This year there are a lot of talented but under-performing teams. Carolina, Pittsburgh, Ottawa, a couple more.....hard to tell if we are doing great turning lemons into lemonade or if the rest of the competition just sucks more
                      Isn't Connolly in his final year as well?

Comment

• Ebenezer
                        Give me a minute...
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by LABillsFan
                        While there is a case that the Sabres could compete in the Eastern Conference, there is no way they can match up with the West. Teams like SJ, Chi, Det and Cal are too balanced and every player on those teams initiate hits while going to the corners to fight for the puck.
                        That can be said for the whole east...Boston would be no better than the fifth best team in the west.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                          Give me a minute...
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by LABillsFan
                          Isn't Connolly in his final year as well?
                          As are Kotalik and Spacek.

Comment

• Philagape
                            WIN NOW
                            • Jul 2002

Even being FIRST overall in the standings means nothing, having experienced that before
                            "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                            2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• LABillsFan
                              • Aug 2002

That can be said for the whole east...Boston would be no better than the fifth best team in the west.
                              agreed.

Comment

Working...
                              X