PDA

View Full Version : A radical overhaul required?

kernowboy
01-18-2009, 06:51 AM
Looking at the way we severly underperformed in the second half of the season, I wonder if a radical overhaul might not be the best way forward. Whilst we have some very talented young players and a good team overall, I am not sure if they will ever be consistent playoff contenders let alone Championship winners. Other teams have made bigger changes and gained immediate results.

Sometimes the best teams in the league have let go players the fans regard as favourites but have actually added to the team through subtraction.

I start with Marshawn Lynch. He went over 1,000yds and had almost 50rec but I wonder if he disappeared when it matter and doesn't gain the hard yards to keep the chains moving. At 215lbs I think he is too light to be a power back and with Fred Jackson providing 3rd down brilliance, I would suggest we trade Lynch to the Chargers and use the No16 pick on Chris 'Beanie' Wells, a heavier cold weather running back. What we lose in receptions we gain in more consistent ground gains. We could easily have a receiver line up of Evans, Reed, a big WR in Hardy, a big TE and Wells on the ground. Do we really need receptions from the RB?

Now we get to Jason Peters. I am somewhat surprised he was voted to he ProBowl, and for me he has reached a plateau in his career. It may be the best time to get maximum value for him. I think we could easily ask for a R1 and a R3 in '09 and a R2 in 2010. Whilst Oher, Monroe, Andre Smith and Jason Smith are mentioned as the top LTs, Eben Britton, William Beatty and Tony Kropog at have the ability to be starting LTs and lets not forget how well Staley, Ugoh and McNeill have done despite not being drafted in the Top20. The R3 pick could be all important as it could allow us to move back into R2 and grab both a Center of the future but also a starting TE.

And the R2 in 2010 might easily be used to help us get a QB if Edwards continues to only show potential.

I favour building through the draft but I think that draft

R1 (12). Everette Brown DE
R1 (16). Chris Wells RB
R1 (20). William Beatty LT
R2 (42). Max Unger C

and use R3 (65 Lions) and our R3 (75) to move up to grab Chase Coffman who had 987yds and 10TDs in his senior season.

Brown improves the pass rush
Wells gives a bigger grinding RB and might make change of pace Jackson even more lethal, the best 1-2 punch in the league
Beatty is definitely on the up and cannot miss more assignments than Peters did last season
Unger is an upgrade over Fowler/Preston
Coffman gives us the top TE we've been looking for, maybe our own Jason Wittenand we still get a R2 in 2010 allowing us to look at either a QB like Colt McCoy, a big DT to add to the rotation as Stroud slows down, or a LB like Martez Wilson who add to Poz and Kavika would give us a lethal LB corps.

billsfanone
01-18-2009, 07:04 AM
yeah, unfortunately it' needed at coaching.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-19-2009, 11:52 AM
This is an stupid post. Marshawn Lynch is one heck of a player and you want to trade him for the 16th pick? We might as well keep trading the only players we actually are able to draft correctly...that's not a way of building a playoff team dude.

Do we really need receptions from the RB?
Yes we do! That is called an escape valve and it's one of the must extremely effective ways to move the chains.

billogic99
01-19-2009, 12:08 PM
I think all three phases of this team need to be addressed. Ownership/FO, coaching and talent level. I'm not saying we don't have anything to work with, just that the needs of this team are such that changing all three phases are a must in order to get over the hump of the middle of the road to below 500. stigma we seem to be mired in.

An owner who's idea of success is about money only, not wins and loses or the happiness of the fanbase. Coaches who are great people, but poor motivators and gameplaners. Players who are good but not great, they either have the me complex, are injury prone or just lack the talent needed to succeed. That's not entirely the players fault, but it is what it is.

We can talk about one aspect of the game needing improvement, but until the other phases are addressed we'll continue to see mediocre improvements. I know it's the off season and we're all looking for answeres, but it's really tough to get excited about the improvement in the talent level, when you know it's never going to be as good good as it could be and the coaching will leave yet another bad taste in your mouth. JMO.

lukabrossi
01-19-2009, 12:11 PM
....fire everybody.

justasportsfan
01-19-2009, 12:13 PM
I am against trading our best players for rookies especially when you consider that none of our draftees under this regime have turned out to be Colstons or Eddie Royals. See McCargo.

Ingtar33
01-19-2009, 12:16 PM
this is insane.

I'm sorry. you don't become better by rolling the dice on a rookie... look at it like this.

We'll trade Lynch, take a cap hit for the rest of his signing bonus, and get a no.16 pick who'll probably be paid more then lynch was (just because of draft salary inflation), who might be a complete bust.

that makes zero sense.

I know, lets trade a 1000+ yard runner who gave us 50 receptions and nearly 1300 yards from scrimmage...

A player who in two years has the following numbers...

530 attempts
2151 yards
4.1 ypa
15 rushing TDs

65 receptions
484 yards
7.4 ypc
1 receiving TD

2 Fumbles lost.

Yes, lets cannibalize the most reliable and hardest working part of this football team just because we went 7-9. That type of mindset will make us 4-12

yordad
01-19-2009, 12:33 PM
no

Raptor
01-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Coaching is the change that needs to be made. I dont agree w/ Mr.Wilson on his opinion of the lack of talent on this roster. I believe there is talent we just dont have the coaching to put them in position to make plays