PDA

View Full Version : Sabres' Numminen out indefinitely (FACE SURGERY)

THATHURMANATOR
01-18-2009, 02:29 PM
Damn he played 8 shifts with a broken face!!!!

GET WEBER UP HERE!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3842291

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Buffalo Sabres defenseman Teppo Numminen is out indefinitely after having surgery Sunday to repair a fractured bone in his face.

Numminen

Numminen was struck in the face Saturday by a second-period shot from Carolina defenseman Tim Gleason. The shot appeared to be deflected. Numminen fell to the ice with both hands covering his face, but he was able to skate off under his own power.

He played eight more shifts, but didn't return for the third period.

"He feels good, but it's just kind of a freak accident," Sabres coach Lindy Ruff said.

The 40-year-old Numminen had played in all 45 games this season after missing all but one last year following heart surgery. He scored his second goal of the season Saturday against the Hurricanes before getting hurt. The two tallies lead all Buffalo defensemen.

Numminen becomes the second Sabres defenseman in five days to be sidelined for an extended period. Andrej Sekera sustained an ankle injury Wednesday against Chicago and is out at least two weeks.

The Sabres were already carrying eight defensemen on their active roster, so they won't need to call anyone up from Portland of the AHL. Nathan Paetsch will take Numminen's spot in the lineup.

hydro
01-18-2009, 02:30 PM
Lecter said earlier that Weber was hurt and not even playing in Portland. So that isn't happening anytime soon. We will have to deal with Paetsch.

Nighthawk
01-18-2009, 02:33 PM
In my opinion it isn't a big loss, but once you add into the equation that Paetsch will need to play...then it becomes a VERY big loss. Weber is hurt, so that kind of blows that he won't get a chance to take that spot.

THATHURMANATOR
01-18-2009, 02:44 PM
In my opinion it isn't a big loss, but once you add into the equation that Paetsch will need to play...then it becomes a VERY big loss. Weber is hurt, so that kind of blows that he won't get a chance to take that spot.
Didn't know Weber was hurt. That sucks

It is a fairly big loss for the reason you mentioned. Paestch is playing horribly.

Wasn't Paestch halfway decent a couple years ago? What happened? Maybe lack of playing time?

Nighthawk
01-18-2009, 02:47 PM
Didn't know Weber was hurt. That sucks

It is a fairly big loss for the reason you mentioned. Paestch is playing horribly.

Wasn't Paestch halfway decent a couple years ago? What happened? Maybe lack of playing time?

He was OK when they first brought him in to play. He gave the PP a boost, but that was on a very talented team where he was just another piece of the puzzle. He just doesn't seem to be a very good player overall and when he's been asked to play, he hasn't done a very good job. Hopefully he can show something this time around...if not, when they get healthy they need to just end the experiment with him.

Ebenezer
01-18-2009, 03:23 PM
I have a feeling it is the end of Teppo's playing career.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
01-18-2009, 03:28 PM
last night in Lindy's press conf. he said that Peatsch will be taking Numminen's spot.

<iframe width="480" height="289" frameborder="0" src="http://sabres.nhl.tv/team/embed.jsp?catid=10&id=31130"></iframe>

ZacGriffi~82
01-18-2009, 04:27 PM
Weber had knee surgery i believe.

SkateZilla
01-18-2009, 06:23 PM
I told teppo his nose was fine.... err

JD
01-19-2009, 01:00 AM
Wow.. it wasnt even that hard of a shot! He is brittle.