• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Jan 2004

Sabres' rise

What's up with the Buffalo Sabres?
    Do you mean up, as in up in the standings? Ha, ha. A little joke there. But seriously, the Sabres are emerging as one of the surprise teams in the Eastern Conference. After being a dominant team in the first two postlockout seasons, the Sabres seemed to lose their identity as well as key personnel like Jay McKee, Mike Grier, J.P. Dumont, Martin Biron, Brian Campbell and, of course, Chris Drury and Daniel Briere.

Well, that identity seems to be returning. The Sabres are on a 6-2-0 roll and have moved into seventh place in the Eastern Conference standings after being a bubble team for most of the first half of the season. Five of those six wins have come against conference competition, while both losses were to West teams (Chicago and Detroit). Most impressive has been the emergence of Derek Roy as the team's on-ice leader, stepping into the vacuum created by the departure of the aforementioned veteran players. Roy leads the team with 42 points and six game-winning goals (second-most in the NHL).

But there are interesting days ahead for Buffalo GM Darcy Regier, who found out this past weekend that veteran defenseman Teppo Numminen is gone, perhaps for the remainder of the season, with a fractured facial bone. After missing the playoffs last season, watch for Regier to try to shore up the blue line before the March 4 trade deadline.
    What does history tell us about this season's playoff picture? What is behind the Sabres' surprise run? Those are just a few of the things Scott Burnside wonders about this week.
  • Mitchell55
    only another 1000 mocks due by tomorrow!
    • Feb 2008

Re: Sabres' rise

WOW. Awesome.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Rumor on HF boards:

Afinogenov to Atlanta for Schneider

originally reported on the Toronto Sun

Comment

• Nighthawk
        Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by clumping platelets
        Rumor on HF boards:

Afinogenov to Atlanta for Schneider

originally reported on the Toronto Sun
        Not too reliable of a source, but Max being traded would be a good thing. Isn't Schneider making a ton of money? If so, that is not a "Sabres" kind of trade.

Comment

• clumping platelets

adds aboot $1 million to the payroll but we would get a QB for the PP and veteran D-man who's playoff tested.

This would be a great deal

Comment

• Philagape
            WIN NOW
            • Jul 2002

I couldn't stop laughing after that little joke, so I didn't read the rest of it.
            "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
            2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

I just don't see it from Roy. He has amazing puck skills but lacks that killer instinct to put the puck in the net. He's almost Afinogenov-like at times.

Even Vanek doesn't always get it done. He's up there with Crosby and Ovechkin in natural ability, but he'll never be on the same level as those guys because he's not consistent enough. When was the last time one of those two went through a 5 game scoring slump like Vanek does?
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• ZacGriffi~82
                • Jun 2003

Crosby goes through goal scoring droughts all the time. He went 9 games once this year.

Edit: For that matter Ovechkin had a 9 game goalless streak this year too.

---

But i question whether that is even a reasonable comparison. Those guys are freaks. Talent like that won't come around for a long time (yes i'm aware of that Tavares kid). I think Vanek should be compared to the Vincent Lecavalier and Joe Sakics of the the world. They aren't Ovechkin but they are still franchise players. I truly believe that Vanek has untapped leadership potential. He can be the captain of this team one day. He keeps getting better every year and has been Ruff's pet project. However i do think he's been mismanaged somewhat. I mean his goal production per time on ice is off the charts. Ovechkin has played an average of 5 more minutes a game than Vanek this year and only has 4 more goals. Vanek is a star player that deserves star minutes and isn't getting them.
                Last edited by ZacGriffi~82; 01-20-2009, 11:26 PM.
                www.billsaddiction.com -The Home of Bills Addicts-

Comment

• ZacGriffi~82
                  • Jun 2003

Oh and Schneider is absolutely horrendous. Atlanta just traded for him at the beginning of the year and want him gone already. He has been the whipping boy of Thrasher fans (they do exist) all year. Do you really want Atlanta's Kalinin? He looks older then Teppo out there...
                  www.billsaddiction.com -The Home of Bills Addicts-

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by ZacGriffi~82
                    Oh and Schneider is absolutely horrendous. Atlanta just traded for him at the beginning of the year and want him gone already. He has been the whipping boy of Thrasher fans (they do exist) all year. Do you really want Atlanta's Kalinin? He looks older then Teppo out there...
                    Schneider is a point scoring defenseman. He is a power play QB, much like Jason Wooley was when he was here. That said, I don't know that we don't need him but I doubt we pick up that salary.

I want Boumeester. (sp?)

Comment

• jamze132
                      • Jun 2003

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
                      Schneider is a point scoring defenseman. He is a power play QB, much like Jason Wooley was when he was here. That said, I don't know that we don't need him but I doubt we pick up that salary.

I want Boumeester. (sp?)
                      I think we all wanted Boumeester last year!

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by jamze132
                        I think we all wanted Boumeester last year!
                        He's big, he's young and he's an UFA at the end of this year.

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
                          He's big, he's young and he's an UFA at the end of this year.
                          which means that if the Sabres land him in a trade, he'll be a rent-a-player. They'll let him walk and Darcy will say something like "Even though he spent most of the year in Portland, we really like what we're seeing from Mike Weber and we think he'll be just as good as Boumeester."

Then he'll turn out to be more of a Spacek clone.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                          X