PDA

View Full Version : Derek Anderson

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-20-2009, 12:06 PM
I'm not sure if Trent Edwards has the tools to become a solid starter and we need a back-up who might get the starting job sometime next season. There is no one really valuable in FA except for Kurt Warner but I don't think he is even going to be available in March (the Cards would be stupid not to resign him). Other than him there is Kerry Collins and Jeff Garcia and even if they are not resigned by their current teams they are both old and wouldn't really be the solution in the long run and it's not like they are that good anyway. Rex Grossman? No thank you.

So, I think Derek Anderson would be a great addition. I watched him last season and he really looked like a future hall-of-famer. I know he didn't have a good season at all but he still has a very good upside and wouldn't want to miss such an opportunity. Just watch how good he did against the Giants back in early October.

Derek Anderson is cool in the pocket and knows how to follow his fellow linemen blocks and even though he is just as athletic as a tree he has one of the quickest throws and his accurancy and arm strenght are impressive.

Maybe we should offer something like a second round pick and we could potentially have one of the greatest steals.

ddaryl
01-20-2009, 12:09 PM
he'd be one of the better choices.. but he is not a FA so I doubt it will happen...

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-20-2009, 12:15 PM
Yeah, but even last offseason it seemed the Browns were willing to trade him for Miami's first round pick. Now that Anderson has regressed and just the fact that he was actually benched it may seem the Browns would be more willing to trade him and for a cheaper price, don't you think?

Brady Quinn looked pretty good by the way.

Block "O"
01-25-2009, 05:02 AM
He also doesn't look like a pansie in cold weather like a certain QB we have from Cali.

Dujek
01-25-2009, 06:09 AM
Did you watch the Denver game, or in fact the final game of the season, where Edwards was efficient despite the crappy weather?

And if I recall correctly Anderson's figures were worse than Edwards' in the snow bowl game in 07...

Billiever86
01-25-2009, 06:52 AM
I am a person who knows enough about browns football to say derek anderson is probably the biggest gamble this year...likely he stays over there..but trade talk will arise

we all saw how poor he played this season...and that is just the continuation after the year before the final 5 games they were in contention...he blew them all...he lost their chance of a playoff birth...

total gamble this guy...I wouldnt bother with him

LtFinFan66
01-25-2009, 07:08 AM
Did you watch the Denver game, or in fact the final game of the season, where Edwards was efficient despite the crappy weather?

And if I recall correctly Anderson's figures were worse than Edwards' in the snow bowl game in 07...They were pretty equal actually

Edwards: 13-33 124 yards 0 TD 0 int

Anderson: 9-24 137 yards 0 TD 0 int

don137
01-25-2009, 07:19 AM
Anderson signed a contract extension last year and would be too costly to bring in as a backup especially when you have an owner that counts every penny.

Dujek
01-25-2009, 10:01 AM
They were pretty equal actually

Edwards: 13-33 124 yards 0 TD 0 int

Anderson: 9-24 137 yards 0 TD 0 int

Fair enough, but the point is still the same, when they played in exactly the same bad weather coniditions there was nothing that showed why Anderson would be a better cold weather quarterback than Edwards.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-25-2009, 11:09 AM
How many quaterbacks have had poor performances in such a weather? That would not stop me from getting him, especially when I think he is such a good thrower. He will eventually improve his game in the snow.

Dujek
01-25-2009, 11:15 AM
Yes, but the point was made that he's a better QB than Edwards in crappy weather. I was pointing out that on the one occasion we were able to compare their ability in really crappy weather Anderson was no better than Edwards.

Edwards is our QB, and he's a damn site better than some people here seem to think.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-25-2009, 11:24 AM
Oh I see, I didn't know you were actually replying to someone else. I wouldn't be preoccupied by that type of weather conditions though, I don't think those type of games happen that much and I wouldn't want to rule out either Edwards or Anderson for that matter.

I know Edwards is our guy right know, but to think he has proven himself to be our franchise quaterback and not bring someone that could replace him sometime next season is something else. Besides, he is injury prone.

I'm not saying we should dump him or replace him but I'm not sold on him yet.

FlyingDutchman
01-25-2009, 11:33 PM
Kelly Holcomb RD 2

tat2dmike77
01-25-2009, 11:52 PM
Did you not see the crap ass season anderson had this year? No thanks.

Block "O"
01-26-2009, 01:28 AM
Yes, but the point was made that he's a better QB than Edwards in crappy weather. I was pointing out that on the one occasion we were able to compare their ability in really crappy weather Anderson was no better than Edwards.

Edwards is our QB, and he's a damn site better than some people here seem to think.

Im not in love with Anderson but don't ask me to love Edwards who got outplayed in his own building on MNF against a rookie QB in his very first game in a hostile environment. But then again Quinn played like a 1st round Qb and Edwards played like a 3rd rounder, go figure.

Ebenezer
01-26-2009, 01:32 AM
Kelly Holcomb RD 2
+1

Preacher
01-26-2009, 03:00 AM
OH NO..

PLEASE NO.

As a Steelers fan. I like you guys WAY TOO MUCH to see you all make that mistake. D.A. can't hit the outside routes. He can't hit the broadside of a barn deep, he can get rattled fast. He was a flash in a pan because no one was ready for him. He would be a HORRIBLE mistake for you guys, and I like you all too much to see that happen.

You want a good QB that you can build around for the next 5 years?

Grab our backup... Leftwich has a LOT of game left in him. He signed a one year deal with us last year and wants to start next year. Any and every time he has touched the field for us, he has impressed. TRUST ME... he is heads and tails above D.A.

Please don't do that to yourselves!!

jamze132
01-26-2009, 04:28 AM
OH NO..

PLEASE NO.

As a Steelers fan. I like you guys WAY TOO MUCH to see you all make that mistake. D.A. can't hit the outside routes. He can't hit the broadside of a barn deep, he can get rattled fast. He was a flash in a pan because no one was ready for him. He would be a HORRIBLE mistake for you guys, and I like you all too much to see that happen.

You want a good QB that you can build around for the next 5 years?

Grab our backup... Leftwich has a LOT of game left in him. He signed a one year deal with us last year and wants to start next year. Any and every time he has touched the field for us, he has impressed. TRUST ME... he is heads and tails above D.A.

Please don't do that to yourselves!!
I wouldn't mind Leftwich, but knowing our FO, we will probably offer JP the best offer he is going to get.

Luisito23
01-26-2009, 08:07 AM
Anderson's sorry, and Leftwich is not that much better, good backup, nothing more, nothing less, and he's certainly nobody you want to invest 5 years....Not even close.

HHURRICANE
01-26-2009, 09:23 AM
Edwards had some tough games after a concussion and losing his #2 WR.

The guy came back and played well enough where we should be focused on other parts of our roster.

trapezeus
01-26-2009, 10:10 AM
Kelly Holcomb RD 2

exactly what i was thinking.

Mr. Pink
01-27-2009, 08:18 AM
Anderson and Holcomb are completely different type of QBs.

Holcomb was a short gain proficient passer with a weak-ish warm.

Anderson has a cannon, throws the ball into any coverage and has accuracy issues.

He likely wouldn't work here because the WRs we have are all smurfs.

bflobarry
01-27-2009, 08:34 AM
Collins has been named the starter next year in Tenn. Warner will be re-signed in AZ. Garcia will be 39 next season, and the Bucs want to keep him too (I live in Tampa). Anderson has a monster contract, which will scare off the Bills, and he's not a FA anyway, meaning additional compensation. Why so many of our "fans" are so down on Edwards is difficult to grasp, other than they don't seem to realize that it takes time to mature into an every game top flight QB. Edwards did stink against the Browns, yes. He was also very good in at least 1/2 the games he played, as a SECOND YEAR QB: our first 4 games (3 comebacks), KC, SD, Denver. All good...They wanted to run Eli out of NY his first 3 years too. Relax. Edwards is very good, and will get better, especially if our "D" gets a pass rush going. Troy Aikman went 1-15 his first year. Chill.......

trapezeus
01-27-2009, 11:50 AM
i think edwards will get better, and i like him. But durability still remains an issue. we need him to be consistently good and consistently on the field...until we get that from him we need good, capable backups.