PDA

View Full Version : DraftBoy's Big Board

DraftBoy
01-20-2009, 07:16 PM
We'll start with a top 32, Ill expand to 64, then 100, then eventually 200, and lastly 250. To those not familiar with how a Big Board works this is simply a rankings board based on skills and how you like each player. Its not based on any teams needs, just on player v. player.

1. OLB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest
2. CB Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State
3. WRMichael Crabtree, Texas Tech
4. OT Andre Smith, Alabama
5. QB Matthew Stafford, Georgia
6. DE Brian Orakpo, Texas
7. OT Michael Oher, Ole Miss
8. OT Eugene Monroe, Virginia
9. WR Jeremy Maclin, Missouri
10. RB Chris Wells, Ohio State
11. DT BJ Raji, Boston College
12. QB Mark Sanchez, USC
13. RB Knowshon Moreno, Georgia
14. CB Vontae Davis, Illinois
15. OT Jason Smith, Baylor
16. ILB Rey Maualuga, USC
17. OLB Clint Sintim, Virginia
18. DE Everette Brown, FSU
19. WR Kenny Britt, Rutgers
20. DE Tyson Jackson, LSU
21. WR Percy Harvin, Florida
22. RB Shonn Greene, Iowa
23. RB LeSean McCoy, Pitt
24. ILB James Laurinaitis, Ohio State
25. OT Max Unger, Oregon
26. DT Peria Jerry, Ole Miss
27. WR Hakeem Nicks, UNC
28. CB Sean Smith, Utah
29. DE Michael Johnson, Georgia Tech
30. WR Darius Heyward Bey, Maryland
31. CB DJ Moore, Vanderbilt
32. CB Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest

This is my first big board of the year, I guarantee it will change a lot!

yordad
01-20-2009, 08:22 PM
DB, with your rankings, and your ideas about picking BPA (strictly?), does that mean you would pick Curry #1 overall if you were the lions GM? Now how about if the Bills had the #1 spot?

DraftBoy
01-20-2009, 08:40 PM
Its not about picking anybody first that's what you have to keep in mind. My rankings are based on a few things:
1. Skill Level
2. NFL Readiness
3. Measurables

The last weighs the least and I'm not saying Curry has the most talent but in combination of those three conditions I feel like Curry is the best overall prospect in this draft. Hope that makes sense!

Also if I was being a GM of either the Lions or Bills my board would change greatly based on my team needs also. As a singular draft follower I don't have to deal with need.

psubills62
01-20-2009, 10:21 PM
Very interesting...you seem pretty high on Malcolm Jenkins and Kenny Britt in particular. You also have Shonn Greene a lot higher than most people would have him. Not bad, got some mix-ups there.

DraftBoy
01-21-2009, 07:28 AM
Very interesting...you seem pretty high on Malcolm Jenkins and Kenny Britt in particular. You also have Shonn Greene a lot higher than most people would have him. Not bad, got some mix-ups there.

You'll find that I dont rank my players with popular trends, I tend to go against the grain and I take more than my fair share of crticism for it.

PECKERWOOD
01-21-2009, 01:06 PM
It would be amazing if we land Curry.

Dr. Lecter
01-21-2009, 01:08 PM
I think you have Stafford a little high.

At very least, he is behind Orakpo.

PECKERWOOD
01-25-2009, 04:23 PM
Hey, DB.

I really think that William Beatty deserves to be in the top 32. I understand that people have issues with his size but man he is really a good football player. Everybody knew that Connecticut was going to run the football at them last year but nobody could stop them. Despite his size, William Beatty is a fantastic run blocker. I would actually love it if we landed him in the 2nd, I really think that he is going to be a stud LT for years to come.

DraftBoy
01-26-2009, 07:40 AM
Hey, DB.

I really think that William Beatty deserves to be in the top 32. I understand that people have issues with his size but man he is really a good football player. Everybody knew that Connecticut was going to run the football at them last year but nobody could stop them. Despite his size, William Beatty is a fantastic run blocker. I would actually love it if we landed him in the 2nd, I really think that he is going to be a stud LT for years to come.

I dont agree, his size concerns me and playing well as he has against undersized DE's isnt as impressive as some are making it out to be. I do need to move him up in my positional rankings a good bit as he is far too low but he may not crack my top 64, its going to be a border line call on him. I also wouldn't be shocked to see him moved to RT.

PECKERWOOD
01-26-2009, 05:12 PM
I dont agree, his size concerns me and playing well as he has against undersized DE's isnt as impressive as some are making it out to be. I do need to move him up in my positional rankings a good bit as he is far too low but he may not crack my top 64, its going to be a border line call on him. I also wouldn't be shocked to see him moved to RT.

:shocked:

Don't you typically put the fat sluggish linemen to the right side of the line? Beatty definately has the feet to play LT and the frame to get bigger. I think that a major misconception that people have about O-linemen is that the bigger they are, the better they are at run blocking, which I don't think is always true. Beatty is very mobile and I think that his true strength is as a run blocker. I could see him doing very well for a team like Green Bay or maybe Denver. Pass protection would have to be the biggest knock on him because we really haven't seen him have to pass protect much at Connecticut seeing as how the majority of their offense was Donald Brown and their running attack. I don't know, Beatty is a big boy and has long arms, that could help him in terms of pass protection.. He could be a steal with proper coaching.

DraftBoy
01-26-2009, 05:19 PM
:shocked:

Don't you typically put the fat sluggish linemen to the right side of the line? Beatty definately has the feet to play LT and the frame to get bigger. I think that a major misconception that people have about O-linemen is that the bigger they are, the better they are at run blocking, which I don't think is always true. Beatty is very mobile and I think that his true strength is as a run blocker. I could see him doing very well for a team like Green Bay or maybe Denver. Pass protection would have to be the biggest knock on him because we really haven't seen him have to pass protect much at Connecticut seeing as how the majority of their offense was Donald Brown and their running attack. I don't know, Beatty is a big boy and has long arms, that could help him in terms of pass protection.. He could be a steal with proper coaching.

Which is why I see him as RT not really a LT. If you are even average at pass blocking, you cannot play LT in the NFL.

PECKERWOOD
01-26-2009, 05:37 PM
Which is why I see him as RT not really a LT. If you are even average at pass blocking, you cannot play LT in the NFL.

Yeah but that's only because it's a mystery. Connecticut was a very run heavy offense, we need to see more of him before we can fully evaluate where he is best suited at. You have to admit, he has very nice size, the frame to get bigger and very quick feet. I could see Beatty starting off at RT and later moving over to LT in the future.

DraftBoy
01-26-2009, 06:03 PM
Yeah but that's only because it's a mystery. Connecticut was a very run heavy offense, we need to see more of him before we can fully evaluate where he is best suited at. You have to admit, he has very nice size, the frame to get bigger and very quick feet. I could see Beatty starting off at RT and later moving over to LT in the future.

His size and athleticism are impressive, but his raw ability makes him look like a RT project to me. He could be a hell of a good RT too.

PECKERWOOD
01-26-2009, 06:14 PM
His size and athleticism are impressive, but his raw ability makes him look like a RT project to me. He could be a hell of a good RT too.

Especially in the late 1st to early 2nd. At the very worst I see him being a very effective guard.