PDA

View Full Version : The Bills are at a cross roads.

BillsWin
01-20-2009, 11:40 PM
They are returning their coordinators. Their head coach, QB, RB, and systems.

Consistency builds success? Well its time to see if that is really true.

Dick Jauron has a solid core of young players to build on.

Trent Edwards has shown that he is competent enough to win games, produce comebacks, and make plays.

However he has also shown inconsistency as the season rolls on, as well as being prone to injuries.

Regardless of that, I believe that if he is given some playmakers around him, Edwards can thrive in this league. Maybe not putting up stellar pro-bowl numbers, but I believe he is good enough for 3,000 yards and 20 TDs and half as many picks.

Marshawn Lynch is a great RB, I don't care what anyone thinks about Jackson being a starter. Put down the bong water, its not for drinking. Lynch needs to be able to run off the center's ass cheek and make one cut and go. When we don't have a start-worthy center, we can't run up the middle well.

Lee Evans can be a number one, but he is someone who needs a true number two, that can help take coverage off of him. You'd never think we'd miss Peerless Price this much.........

Hardy, could be a player in this league, Johnson is showing flashes of just pure talent and drive to win, but we are missing something. If we could sign a # 2 to come in even for just a year. It would help them develop.

Our defense is 2-3 playmakers away from being "great". You heard me.

If the Bills landed a FA/draft of resigning Crowell, signing Suggs, drafting a true play making SS, letting Donte drift to FS, and they grabbed some depth... maybe a young stud DT. This defense is awesome. They were top 15 without a pass rush. That says alot. And McKelvin will be a stud. Mark my words, the kid is the real deal. Him and McGee will be awesome for years to come. And when McGee gets too old, Corner or some new blood can step up.

Bottom line, Dick has alot to work with for as much as we complain about talent.

If he fills the holes we need to fill, then this team is a GOOD GOOD GOOD team. I really don't see why people can't see that!

Turk may be a great OC, it was his FIRST year! and the Sam Whyche style offense takes a year for a QB to learn it 100% if I recall a Clayton article in 2006? (someone check)

This offseason could be one of the biggest ones in Bills franchise history!

They bring in some talent, and the lack of coaching turnover, losses in FA and with some luck in the injury department, this team is a good enough team to win 10+ games.

As it stands right now this upcoming season has 7-9 written all over it. But with a solid FA and draft, the sky is really the limit.

and hell, if Im wrong and the Bills dont finally flip the switch, Jauron is out of here. and we can start fresh! again... :(

btw, here is a mock draft I did for my work. (only top 15)

As we move on through this NFL season and get closer to the end of it, I thought it would be fun to make a mock draft. Here we go!
1. Detroit- QB, Matthew Stafford, Georgia: I originally wanted to put Sam Bradford here, the only reason (besides him staying at OU...) that I would put Stafford over Bradford, is that he has played in a "pro-style" offense. Stafford has also faced more stout defenses in his time at Georgia. However, Bradford is out. So Stafford is in. Detroit needs a franshise QB to build a team around, Stafford is their guy this year.
2. St. Louis- OT, Andre Smith, Alabama: I like this pick here, you have a QB in Buldger, a RB in Jackson, and now youve got a heck of a WR in Avery. It's time to get some extra protection on the o-line. Andre Smith can flat out play. If St. Louis doesn't grab him, he won't drop below 5.
3. Kansas City- QB, Mark Sanchez, USC: Why? Because Thigpen isn't the answer. Is this too high for Sanchez? ABSOLUTELY. But Sam Bradford not coming out has messed up alot of draft boards. Kansas City is one of those teams not afraid to move down either, so we may see that. Orakpo would also be a solid pick here for KC.
4. Seattle- WR, Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech: The Seahawks were riddled with injuries to the WR position last season, and this season they aren't looking much more prepared. Crabtree can be plugged into the line up instantly and make some sort of impact. He's a great pickup at 4, and will help the hawks tremendously.
5. Cleveland- RB, Chris Wells, Ohio St.: An all- pro RB, can start under the tutilage of Lewis. But, should eventually take over the workload. At the start of this season, everyone was talking heisman for this young man. He would add to Cleveland's run game and help them out pretty well.
6. Cincinnati- OT, Michael Oher, Ole Miss: A great T could compete with Smith for the St. Louis spot at 2. Cinci needs pass pro something fierce.
7. Oakland- LB, Aaron Curry, Wake Forrest: A great pickup for any defense, he's fast, strong and his stock keeps rising.
8. Jacksonville- OT, Jason Smith, Baylor: This is one of the deepest and best draft for o-linemen in years, Jacksonville is deminished at Tackle and Jason Smith will have a long, successful career.
9. Greenbay- CB, Malcomb Jenkins, Ohio State: 2 Ancient CBs and no solid depth to bring up to replace them.... BIG NO NO. Greenbay would be ill-advised to pass up on Jenkins if he were to fall into their lap here.
10. San Fransisco- DE, Everrette Brown, FSU: The guy is a PLAYER. He would fit the san fran scheme very well. This guy is just a dominant athlete who will add to anyone's pass rush and the 49ers could use it!
11. Buffalo- DE, Brian Orakpo, Texas: ahhhhh and now for MY team. The Bills... I have given this pick much thought and to be honest, I think it would be best to trade down to the low end of the first and pick up extra picks, going with Brandon Pettigrew first, Connor Barwin (DE) second and with their third pick take Caldwell (C), but for the sake of them staying this high, I think if Orakpo drops you take him. There is no need to go on with a lack of pass rush any longer.
12. Denver-LB, Rey Maualuga, USC: Denver + Defense first in a draft???????? well, yes. One thing that Shanahan never did right, was that he focused building his defense around Free Agency, you need to have some youth come in! Maualuga is awesome. Just awesome. Denver could use him.
13. Washington- OT, Eugene Monroe, Virginia: another OT? yes, because this is a great draft for them. Monroe has excellent footwork, and almost never misses a block. Good pickup for a washington line that needs it.
14. New Orleans- LB, James Laurinaitis, Ohio State: Should they choose to let Vilma leave, (which Im betting happens) This is an all star pick.
15. Houston- DE, Michael Johnson, Georgia Tech: It's either DE or CB here. Johnson is great. I thought about the Bills taking him at 11. If Greg Hardy came out, he'd be an even better choice.

Hope you enjoyed. Feel free to discuss.

jimbohastle51
01-21-2009, 12:04 AM
i agree with alot in this post, really the only 2 positions we need on defense is a pass rushing DE (doesnt even have to be a 3 down DE all we need is a guy that can come in and generate pass rush along side shoebel, kelsay and denney can eat up the rushing downs) and a OLB to take over for ellison. you fill those 2 needs and poz will have a couple sacks and a couple more picks from not having to over compensate for lack of talent outside, and stroud will be 2wice as dominant and i could even see spencer johnson being more explosive on passing downs with shoebel, stroud, johnson, and our FA/rookie lining up on passing downs. fill those 2 positions and this defense will go from good to great. as far as offense, give us a center that can pick up stunts and blitz's (preferably a vet here) and a TE that can catch those 5-10 yard passes and get 5-10 YAC and we are looking good. nice post BillsWin

Oaf
01-21-2009, 12:33 AM
Our defense is 2-3 playmakers away from being "great". You heard me.

Aren't all non-great defenses in the NFL like this? And isn't Orpakro staying? Appreciate the post though.

Crazygoo
01-21-2009, 05:17 AM
I think i heard the same thing, he is staying.

PECKERWOOD
01-21-2009, 05:24 AM
Check out my sig, that's what I'm hoping for. Ünger and Reynolds to replace Fowler and Preston. Sintim is a beast at OLB, resign Ellison to back him up. Casey replaces Schouman. Shaughnessy, Hunt and Walker replace Kelsay, Mace and Copeland. Fiametta replaces whatever bum we got at FB currently.

Sign Houshmandzadeh, WR
Sign O' Sullivan, QB
Sign Ellison, LB
Sign Chambers, RT

That offseason would work for me.

yordad
01-21-2009, 07:03 AM
Orpakro is going pro. And consistancy is only good if you don't consistantly suck.

Patti120
01-21-2009, 07:03 AM
Pretty sure Orakpo was a senior but I will let one of the experts verify.

lukabrossi
01-21-2009, 07:13 AM
Lynch and Jackson are a solid one-two punch for the running game.

Trent is a solid, punch-drunk, sissy-boy q.b. who should hang-up the cleats and call it a career.

Jauron is a solid butt-plug, who should pack his bags and get the hell outta town.

Ralph is a solid, senile, old, crusty, weather-beaten, hag-ridden, chea-ass owner, who should just ****ing die already.

billogic99
01-21-2009, 07:21 AM
Who needs coaching when we are this talented??

Pinkerton Security
01-21-2009, 08:07 AM
I agree with the original post, except I dont see the Raiders getting Curry. They have talented young LB's in Alston and Howard, and Kirk Morrison on the inside. Curry is a damn stud, but i dont see him going to Oakland.

HHURRICANE
01-21-2009, 09:33 AM
What happened to the DEs in this post? We need at least 2 right there alone.

BillsWin
01-21-2009, 11:10 PM
thanks for the comments.

Night Train
01-22-2009, 04:02 AM
The 90 year old crossing guard with the broken compass isn't helping.

lukabrossi
01-22-2009, 06:00 AM
The 90 year old crossing guard with the broken compass isn't helping.

that's some funny ****, my friend.