PDA

View Full Version : Mel Kiper MockDraft

SeatownBillsFan21
01-22-2009, 12:42 AM
Dude has us taking TE Brandon Pettigrew from OK ST. I personally dont think Kipers opinion is worth a darn but saw this wanted to know what you all think if we went TE in the 1st.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3850049

clumping platelets
01-22-2009, 12:56 AM
With 2 top DE's on the board still?

A lot of problems on defense can be addressed by improving the pass rush. That needs to #1, #2, and #3 on our "to-do" list for the offseason

SeatownBillsFan21
01-22-2009, 12:59 AM
for sure not that big on Mel or Tod McShay way bigger needs on the Def side how does he not see that??

Mr. Cynical
01-22-2009, 01:01 AM
crap

Lexwhat
01-22-2009, 01:23 AM
If we pass on Orakpo and draft a tight end instead, I will be disgusted.

Luisito23
01-22-2009, 02:00 AM

That, and if we draft another DB....

Luisito23
01-22-2009, 02:00 AM
crap

Kiper's an idiot! :poop:

VeggieMan14
01-22-2009, 05:33 AM
Kiper is an idiot... how did he become boss anyway?

patmoran2006
01-22-2009, 06:29 AM
Agreed.
I wouldnt have been disgusted with Gresham, but any other TE at 11 is a joke.. Especially if those DE's were still on the board.

Jeff1220
01-22-2009, 07:20 AM
The Bills were 25th in offense (yards) and 23rd in offense (scoring).
They were 14th in defense (total yards) and 19th in defense (scoring).

Despite what we've seen on D, I wouldn't be surprised at all if this FO went with TE, or any offensive pick in the 1st.

DraftBoy
01-22-2009, 07:24 AM
Issues with Kiper:
3. Kansas City-QB Mark Sanchez-I really believe they are going to go with Thigpen next year, the 2010 QB class is loaded so if they suck again they have a shot at Bradford. They need to work on their lines more, and add some skill players.

5. Cleveland-LB Aaron Curry-I dont get this pick at all. They have two OLB's in Alex Hall and Kameiron Wimbley, why go with another OLB? If they are going to move Curry inside then they are going to force him to play in a box and not even use his best talent.

10. San Francisco-DE/OLB Aaron Maybin-Everybody says this kid made a mistake coming out but Kiper has him going Top 10? I dont see that at all.

11. Buffalo-TE Brandon Pettigrew-WAY too early here (I dont even have a TE going in my 1st Round). Pettigrew finished this season with 42 receptions for 472 yards and no TD's. Which isnt bad stats but its not top 15 worth numbers by any stretch. Pettigrew finished 20th in receiving yards amongst TE's this year, missed three games due to injury, and played in a pass happy offense. His lack of production bothers me and couples with his offseason off the field issues last year, the picks really bothers me especially at 11.

TacklingDummy
01-22-2009, 08:24 AM
Issues with Kiper:
3. Kansas City-QB Mark Sanchez-I really believe they are going to go with Thigpen next year, the 2010 QB class is loaded so if they suck again they have a shot at Bradford. They need to work on their lines more, and add some skill players.

I could see KC trading LJ and TG for picks this year.

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-22-2009, 08:28 AM
Wouldn't that be going against the teams character policy?

Jan Reimers
01-22-2009, 09:39 AM
Kiper is an idiot... how did he become boss anyway?
His hair looked cool on TV.

justasportsfan
01-22-2009, 10:20 AM
haven't we wasted enough draft picks the last couple of years on TE's? I think we should waste a couple more on safeties.

You can grab the best catching TE on the planet, under this coaching staff they will just be turned into blockers.

jimbohastle51
01-22-2009, 10:22 AM
there is no way we pass on orakpo. ZERO chance! besides i see the bills making a tender to owen daniels or offering a free agent contract to bo scaife in free agency, mark my words there will be a free agent vetran TE brought in this offseason and it wont be a 1st round priority in the draft.

psubills62
01-22-2009, 10:23 AM
With 2 top DE's on the board still?

A lot of problems on defense can be addressed by improving the pass rush. That needs to #1, #2, and #3 on our "to-do" list for the offseason

Yeah, but a lot of our problems as a team can be put on the offense. The one time Kelsay actually got a sack or two in a game was against San Fran...look how much good that did us, with the offense scoring 3 points.

I think people focus too much on the fact that our pass rush was bad and they overlook the fact that our offense lost us a LOT of games, partially due to turnovers and partially due to not being able to move the ball.

madness
01-22-2009, 10:29 AM
I see he still hasn't kicked that crack habit.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-22-2009, 10:38 AM
**** that.

DraftBoy
01-22-2009, 10:41 AM
Please don't try and circumvent the swear filter.

bigbub2352
01-22-2009, 11:01 AM
TE is a bad choice at 11 now, i truly think we are going CB, especially if Malcom Jenkins falls,
They are gonna let Greer walk
They are gonna let McGee walk after this season
U have to think like this regime as much as we all dont want to they are gonna look at the defense improvement and say ok we have 17.5 mil committed to Kelsay Denney Schobel and Ellis and bring back Bryan dirt cheap
they got Mckelvin and McGee at CB
Whitner and Scott at Safety
Mitchell Poz and probably cheapest option Crowell at OLB
Williams Johnson and Stroud locked up at DT
there is no real offensive player out there worth taking at 11 we dont need a RB or OLine tackle assuming we resign Peters they will be looking for Center and there isnt one worth taking at 11
it all falls down to our conservative cheap approach and CB is cheaper to sign then a DLineman so i really think they will draft leodis partner for 2010 at 11 Jenkins or the kid from Wake Forest who is 5ft 8 we luv them small it gets us so far in the playoffs so the frontoffice is right right?

BillsWin
01-22-2009, 11:53 AM
Issues with Kiper:

5. Cleveland-LB Aaron Curry-I dont get this pick at all. They have two OLB's in Alex Hall and Kameiron Wimbley, why go with another OLB? If they are going to move Curry inside then they are going to force him to play in a box and not even use his best talent.

10. San Francisco-DE/OLB Aaron Maybin-Everybody says this kid made a mistake coming out but Kiper has him going Top 10? I dont see that at all.

11. Buffalo-TE Brandon Pettigrew-WAY too early here (I dont even have a TE going in my 1st Round). Pettigrew finished this season with 42 receptions for 472 yards and no TD's. Which isnt bad stats but its not top 15 worth numbers by any stretch. Pettigrew finished 20th in receiving yards amongst TE's this year, missed three games due to injury, and played in a pass happy offense. His lack of production bothers me and couples with his offseason off the field issues last year, the picks really bothers me especially at 11.

Brandon Pettigrew is a player. he may be too high at 11. But, if we got him in the second or late first (trading down). he would do wonders for this team. He's the kind of kid that can make plays in open space. He's a great pass catching TE, and he's a solid blocker as well. Pass happy offense? Check their RB's stats. They were extremely balanced, and actually the run was their forte. They are my favorite school, and take this from someone who went to the games, Pettigrew is a stud. 11= too high for any TE this year, but if we could trade down and get him................

DraftBoy
01-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Brandon Pettigrew is a player. he may be too high at 11. But, if we got him in the second or late first (trading down). he would do wonders for this team. He's the kind of kid that can make plays in open space. He's a great pass catching TE, and he's a solid blocker as well. Pass happy offense? Check their RB's stats. They were extremely balanced, and actually the run was their forte. They are my favorite school, and take this from someone who went to the games, Pettigrew is a stud. 11= too high for any TE this year, but if we could trade down and get him................

I stand corrected it was 346 Run to 314 pass (amongst perdominant backs and passer). So they were more balances then in years past. However that does not excuse Pettigrew's lack of production as the 2nd best receiving option on that team. Bryant is by far the top guy but Pettigrew's yards and TD totals went down. Maybe his injury lingered through the year, just the overall lack of production out of your #2 passing option is dissapointing. I would not take him before the middle of the 2nd Round. If Im taking a TE in the 1st he better be a game breaker Pettigrew is not that. He is a very good TE who can both catch and block with the best in this class.

justasportsfan
01-22-2009, 12:03 PM
thats what people said about Hardy and the red zone offense. Look what happened. For as long as Turk has a basic conservative scheme , the talent on this team will be limited and easily overcome by defenses.

Bert102176
01-22-2009, 12:33 PM
cnnsi has us taking the same as kiper, and I don't mind us taking him, am hoping we get a top DE through FA

Bert102176
01-22-2009, 12:52 PM
1st rnd is too early for a C, so either TE, DE are the 2 areas I think we need to look at in the 1st deff not CB that is idiotic to think that when we have much bigger needs at the moment, and as for ko Simpson he is a waist so somewhere in the draft we need a replacement to learn behind Scott which I think is good

Pinkerton Security
01-22-2009, 12:54 PM
Brandon Pettigrew/TE/Oklahoma State: Pettigrew's opportunities to catch the ball have been limited this week but his blocking has been outstanding, exceeding the expectations of NFL scouts. He's dominated linebackers all week and has also controlled defensive linemen which has help pave the way for running backs.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/01/21/senior.bowl.day3/index.html?eref=T1

Now thats what I want, a good blocker who can also catch. Maybe not at 11 though..Doesnt seem like a TE would make much of an immediate impact, not nearly as much as a stud pass rusher.

justasportsfan
01-22-2009, 12:54 PM
Wasn't he charged for assaulting an officer? :idunno:

If we draft him the cop most likely asked for it.

edit : He was

Charged with felony assault and battery of a police officer in February, 2008. Police responded to an altercation at a residence in Stillwater, OK. When asked to leave, Pettigrew refused and elbowed an officer in the chest. Pettigrew has since pleaded guilty to a lesser charge (misdemeanor assault and battery) in return for fines paid and 20 hours of community service. He also pleaded guilty to misdemeanor public intoxication in the incident and was fined $100. He received a deferred sentence and won't have a criminal record if he successfully completes probation. Coach Mike Gundy declined to suspend Pettigrew, saying in February that he would allow the case to run its course.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?id=23982&draftyear=2009&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfldraft%2fdraft%2ftracker%2fplayer%3fid%3d23982%26draftyear%3d2009

BillsWin
01-22-2009, 12:59 PM
I stand corrected it was 346 Run to 314 pass (amongst perdominant backs and passer). So they were more balances then in years past. However that does not excuse Pettigrew's lack of production as the 2nd best receiving option on that team. Bryant is by far the top guy but Pettigrew's yards and TD totals went down. Maybe his injury lingered through the year, just the overall lack of production out of your #2 passing option is dissapointing. I would not take him before the middle of the 2nd Round. If Im taking a TE in the 1st he better be a game breaker Pettigrew is not that. He is a very good TE who can both catch and block with the best in this class.

I think the injury had something to do with it. I compare the way he ran and cut last season to this season and it wasnt the same. if he is 100% coming into the draft he is still a mid-top of the 2nd round guy, possible 1st if he is just studly at the combine.

jamze132
01-22-2009, 03:01 PM
Screw going TE in the 1st.

And I don't think the Lions are going to draft QB #1 overall which may, by the magic of Disney allow Curry to slide down to #11. My ideal pick.

psubills62
01-22-2009, 03:07 PM

There's a lot of guys I'd want at #11 before Pettigrew, but my question is: how often was he thrown to? The only Oklahoma State game I watched was their game against Oklahoma, and I remember the announcers constantly mentioning about how they needed to throw it to Pettigrew, yet they never did in the first half. By the second half, the game was out of reach so I stopped watching.

I don't think being underutilized is an excuse, but it sounds like he's very good as a receiver and a blocker.

Honestly, my hope is that he performs poorly and slides to the second round...even if we don't pick him, at least he'd be an option hopefully.

DraftBoy
01-22-2009, 05:47 PM
There's a lot of guys I'd want at #11 before Pettigrew, but my question is: how often was he thrown to? The only Oklahoma State game I watched was their game against Oklahoma, and I remember the announcers constantly mentioning about how they needed to throw it to Pettigrew, yet they never did in the first half. By the second half, the game was out of reach so I stopped watching.

I don't think being underutilized is an excuse, but it sounds like he's very good as a receiver and a blocker.

Honestly, my hope is that he performs poorly and slides to the second round...even if we don't pick him, at least he'd be an option hopefully.

In the second round Id be happy to bring him in, but what I saw from him in the last two years is a guy with big play potential who when he wants to can really affect a game. He won't take it over but he can have a major impact on it. My issue is that while you may see him not being thrown to, I saw him disappear specifically this year. It was almost like his routes got sloppy or he just didnt care. Don't know why and Im not yet ready to call it a huge negative but I didnt like the lack of effort.

Lets look at the Bowl game v. Oregon specifically. Pettigrew's numbers were solid from a box score standpoint; 6 catches, 51 yards. However lets take it a step further and break it down by quarter.
1st Q-2 catches-Both on one drive
2nd Q-2 Catches-Both on one drive
3rd Q-0 Cacthes-Thrown to twice
4th Q-2 Catches-Two seperate drives

Now out of his 6 catches, 5 were when the game was still close but for 10 of Oklahoma State's 16 drives he was either not open, not looked at or not involved. To me that's not a good showing for a guy who did not have great year by any measure. That kind of performance in a big game really bothers me, especially when you are the #2 offensive weapon on your team.

Ok so maybe that was a little indepth but I hope people begin to see the point.

Dujek
01-22-2009, 06:12 PM
Y'know, if the draft went that way as far as #1 to#10 I wouldn't be opposed to trading Peters for Detroit's second 1st round pick and 3rd round pick and then taking Michael Oher. I know at the start of the season he seemed to have lost a bit of form from his Junior year, but from the Florida game onwards he was an absolute beast.

BillsWin
01-22-2009, 06:43 PM
thats what people said about Hardy and the red zone offense. Look what happened. For as long as Turk has a basic conservative scheme , the talent on this team will be limited and easily overcome by defenses.

never said Hardy was a player. I see him more as a genetic freak...

BillsWin
01-22-2009, 06:52 PM

The game was not out of hand until the end of the fourth, we failed to capitalize on a stall by our defense, and OU scored twice in a row, un-answered. Then it was all over... :( I was there. I was the drunk OSU fan in the OU fan's section (constantly trying to start ORANGE! POWER!, almost got jumped by some drunk idiot toothless OU fan behind us. Also, I met Thurman Thomas! He was getting an award.

but getting back to the point, Brandon was definetly under utilized this past season. Look back to the previous year when he was definetly used more. And dont let him being thrown to 7 more times this season than past fool you. He definetly suffered from the injury and lack of putting him in the position to make plays. He is worth a look, but I say we move down, or pray he drops to take him... Id love to see him in a Bills uniform, but the fact is we can't pass up on a premiere d-end or Curry if he drops just to get Pettigrew... sadly. Id REALLY love to root for him in a Bills uni...

Night Train
01-23-2009, 02:10 AM
there is no way we pass on orakpo. ZERO chance! .

Right. Just like there is no way we pass on DT Ngata 2-3 years back. We are dysfunctional for a good reason.

justasportsfan
01-23-2009, 10:00 AM
never said Hardy was a player. I see him more as a genetic freak...
I never said you did but our coaches thought so and then they turned him into nothing. They turned Trent, Lee and almost every talent we have into turd with horrible playcalling.

No matter who you bring in, we will just set them up to fail.

TigerJ
01-23-2009, 08:32 PM

What Lex said.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-24-2009, 09:20 AM
I like what I have been hearing about Pettigrew and I think some of you are overthinking the situation, if he has the talent he has the talent. Still I think there is no way he is the best player available at number 11 and we really need to start drafting the best player available if we want to succeed.

The only positions I would avoid are running back, cornerback, and safey. That being said I would draft whoever is the best player available.

tat2dmike77
01-24-2009, 09:37 AM
ESPN just hyping up the draft.

Kiper is a douche along with his little goon McShay.

The Jokeman
01-24-2009, 08:21 PM
The Bills were 25th in offense (yards) and 23rd in offense (scoring).
They were 14th in defense (total yards) and 19th in defense (scoring).

Despite what we've seen on D, I wouldn't be surprised at all if this FO went with TE, or any offensive pick in the 1st.
I hear what your saying but the draft is about collecting the best players as a whole so to pass on a quality DE like Orakpo in Round 1 when can likely swing a TE like Chase Coffman in Round 2 is dumb.

MarshawnLynch23
01-25-2009, 09:55 PM
If I had to pick it would be Everette Brown in the first and Alex Mac or Max Unger in the second IMO

acehole
01-26-2009, 09:28 AM
there is no way we pass on orakpo. ZERO chance! besides i see the bills making a tender to owen daniels or offering a free agent contract to bo scaife in free agency, mark my words there will be a free agent vetran TE brought in this offseason and it wont be a 1st round priority in the draft.

This approch seemes safer to me.
Get proven skill players for offence via FA.
Get guys who can rotate and contribute from
day one on deffense via Draft. I agree with the
not passing on Orakpo..some have him projected
at OLB but even so we have needs for both and
he makes plays. What is the tender on O Daniels?

madness
01-26-2009, 11:31 AM
This approch seemes safer to me.
Get proven skill players for offence via FA.
Get guys who can rotate and contribute from
day one on deffense via Draft. I agree with the
not passing on Orakpo..some have him projected
at OLB but even so we have needs for both and
he makes plays. What is the tender on O Daniels?

Safer and the correct approach! TE, WR and C all need to come through FA/trade this year.

SeatownBillsFan21
01-26-2009, 07:23 PM
I doubt this team will make any trades for a player that will make any sort of impact FA is another story I hope we do Grab someone who makes an impact and gets our fans excited about the season if not then this franchise could be on the outs IMO

Spiderweb
01-26-2009, 11:11 PM

....kinda like taking Whitner when Ngata was there....

ServoBillieves
01-26-2009, 11:15 PM
My draft > all

DraftBoy
01-26-2009, 11:16 PM
My draft > all

You do know that DE Brandon Graham returned to school, so your draft is no longer accurate, and Barden is close to a 3rd Round pick now.

Block "O"
01-28-2009, 02:01 AM
42 rec 472 yards and 0 tds in a weak defensive conference?????

PASS

Marvelous
01-28-2009, 02:22 PM
Draftniks & Draft Guru's always think that a teams biggest hole is solved with a 1st round player to plug in... TE is a problem, but it's nowhere near the MAIN problem. DE,QB,RT are all more important then TE imo.

-I always fealt that only playoff teams can afford to use 1st round picks on TE's.. We woulda been just as up ***'s creek with Vernon Davis..