PDA

View Full Version : walter football mock draft update

jimbohastle51
01-22-2009, 10:33 AM
they have us getting:
rd1) DE brian orakpo TEXAS
rd2) C max unger OREGON
rd3) TE jared cook SOUTH CAROLINA

i would be happy with this except i think we can get a better TE in round 3 than cook, but the top 2 picks are really nice.

jimbohastle51
01-22-2009, 10:34 AM
http://walterfootball.com/draft2009_3.php

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-22-2009, 10:38 AM
I want to believe that Orakpo is going to be available but I don't think so.

Pinkerton Security
01-22-2009, 10:42 AM
I want to believe that Orakpo is going to be available but I don't think so.

its gonna depend on how he works out. if he starts throwing up numbers like Gholston did last year in the combine, then we will not have a shot.

DraftBoy
01-22-2009, 10:53 AM
No problem with Oher, I think his picks are a little screwed up like Kiper's but Ill deal with it.

I just don't like Unger in the 2nd, not because he isnt worth the pick because he is, but I just don't see him as a permanent OC in the NFL. I still think he moves to OT, that's where his skill set is better suited and thats where the money is. Id make that pick WR Kenny Britt.

In Round 3 Id make the Cook pick into QB Rhett Bomar from Sam Houston State, and then in Round 4 take Shipley, 5 take Shawn Nelson, 6 Id go with Willie Williams, and in Round 7 Id take DreMail Hardin.

yordad
01-22-2009, 11:10 AM
I would take that draft.

TacklingDummy
01-22-2009, 11:12 AM
I just don't like Unger in the 2nd, not because he isnt worth the pick because he is, but I just don't see him as a permanent OC in the NFL. I still think he moves to OT, that's where his skill set is better suited and thats where the money is. Id make that pick WR Kenny Britt.

Are you saying going by "Walters Mock Draft" you'd take a WR in the second round or do you want the Bills to take a WR in the second round?

ddaryl
01-22-2009, 11:39 AM
I'm oK with this draft it covers needs...

we need to score big in FA and we need to trash cash to cap

DraftBoy
01-22-2009, 11:41 AM
Are you saying going by "Walters Mock Draft" you'd take a WR in the second round or do you want the Bills to take a WR in the second round?

Either or. Im drafting based on my draft philosophy put into the scenario that Walter Mock provides.

NC-BILLS44
01-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Definitely need defensive playmakers - especially at DE.

jamze132
01-22-2009, 03:05 PM
No problem with Oher, I think his picks are a little screwed up like Kiper's but Ill deal with it.

In Round 3 Id make the Cook pick into QB Rhett Bomar from Sam Houston State, and then in Round 4 take Shipley, 5 take Shawn Nelson, 6 Id go with Willie Williams, and in Round 7 Id take DreMail Hardin.
Sorry guy, we don't need to take another Day1 WR. They take too long to develop in general, besides there are more pressing needs such as DE, C, LB, depending on who we take in RD1 who may have more of an immediate impact. Our DEs are complete crap when it comes to pressuring the QB. IMO, it is this team's biggest need, just ahead of C.

jimbohastle51
01-22-2009, 03:55 PM

over max unger i would rather see us take wood, he his much better against 3-4 defenses and he came out of a system that favors the shotgun like ours does. i agree with you on getting a WR, i think somewhere between 3rd-5th we should get one, i know everyone doesnt want to hear that but we could use another 6'1 or 6'2 200+ reciever along with johnson and hardy(if he is even) to bring to camp. josh reed and lee evans cant do it all people and even with johnson that is only 3 viable recieving options, because you cant count on hardy this year until he actually plays in a real game and shows he can get separation after his ACL surgery (you really cant count scoe because he is not a WR that will get the reps like, evans, reed, johnson, hardy)

Raptor
01-22-2009, 04:16 PM
I'd be thrilled w/ that

Mitchell55
01-22-2009, 04:49 PM
I love it.

Mitchell55
01-22-2009, 05:13 PM
Either or. Im drafting based on my draft philosophy put into the scenario that Walter Mock provides.

Im using my opinion here but you dont do good Bills drafts. Kenny Britt? We saw what Hardy did last year, dont want another WR early. Also, are you crazy getting a backup QB in the 2nd who wont start for possibly another 7-8 years if Trents the answer.

DraftBoy
01-22-2009, 05:36 PM
Im using my opinion here but you dont do good Bills drafts. Kenny Britt? We saw what Hardy did last year, dont want another WR early. Also, are you crazy getting a backup QB in the 2nd who wont start for possibly another 7-8 years if Trents the answer.

You are free to use your opinion as you want, I simply disagree with you. We have no #2 WR at this point, Hardy is basically out for next year. Britt is a different type of WR, not all big WR are the same. Plus you cannot draft based just on need. Britt has top 20 talent taking him in Round 2 would be a huge steal.

Unlike you, I am far from convinced of Trent, I was critical of the pick from the time we've made it. Bomar provides us with enough insurance to where if Trent struggles again we are not back to square 1 and gives Trent enough leash to work without fear or losing his job this year because Bomar needs at least a season on the bench to adjust.

If you choose to draft just based on need you will struggle mightily in the NFL its a time tested theory. Draft for need you will fail, but you cannot just draft BPA either. I personally use a draft value system where I weight the needs and then see who the best player is at each need and choose the highest value player at that spot. I would never reach for a player just to fill a need, I think thats a mistake to do. If you're convinced he's worth it thats one thing but to reach for a guy just to fit a need is a huge mistake (John McCargo).

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-23-2009, 10:45 AM
Also, are you crazy getting a backup QB in the 2nd who wont start for possibly another 7-8 years IF Trents the answer. And that is a huge if.

Anyway, I want this t happen:

1st round pick - Brian Orakpo, BJ Raji, Michael Johnson, Aaron Curry, Rey Maualuga - in that order of preference (maybe I could probably switch Orakpo if he doesn't impress me in the Combine).
2nd round pick - Shawn Nelson - maybe it's a little too high but then we can move down and get another pick, still I'm high on Nelson.
3rd round pick - Antoine Caldwell - this guy is so underrated!

DraftBoy
01-23-2009, 10:47 AM
And that is a huge if.

Anyway, I want this t happen:

1st round pick - Brian Orakpo, BJ Raji, Michael Johnson, Aaron Curry, Rey Maualuga - in that order of preference (maybe I could probably switch Orakpo if he doesn't impress me in the Combine).
2nd round pick - Shawn Nelson - maybe it's a little too high but then we can move down and get another pick, still I'm high on Nelson.
3rd round pick - Antoine Caldwell - this guy is so underrated!

You can get Nelson and Caldwell likely lower than you are taking, why reach?

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-23-2009, 10:51 AM
Well, according to Mayock Nelson's value has increased a lot so he is no longer a third round pick but more like a late second pick but you never know. Still that's why I said we could move down and get another pick (although if nothing comes out I would just pick him and end of stroy).

About Caldwell, I don't think we could get him lower at all.

If I was the GM of this team it's just a matter I like those two guys a lot and it happens they are what we need so I wouldn't gamble.

DraftBoy
01-23-2009, 11:02 AM
Well, according to Mayock Nelson's value has increased a lot so he is no longer a third round pick but more like a late second pick but you never know. Still that's why I said we could move down and get another pick (although if nothing comes out I would just pick him and end of stroy).

About Caldwell, I don't think we could get him lower at all.

If I was the GM of this team it's just a matter I like those two guys a lot and it happens they are what we need so I wouldn't gamble.

Nelson was a 4th-5th Round pick coming into the senior bowl, at best now he's only a third round pick. He's the #7 TE in the class as is and I don't see him passing anybody ahead of him;
Tight Ends:
1. Chase Coffman, Missouri-2nd Round
2. Brandon Pettigrew, Oklahoma State-2nd Round
3. James Casey, Rice-2nd-3rd Round
4. Jared Cook, South Carolina -3rd Round
5. Cornelius Ignram, Florida-3rd Round
6. Travis Beckum, Wisconsin-3rd-4th Round
7. Shawn Nelson, Southern Miss-3rd-4th Round

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-23-2009, 12:21 PM
Unfortunately we don't have two third rounders so I would still use both the second and the third two grab Nelson and Caldwell because I know for sure any of these two is gonna make it to the fourth round.

And believe me, both the Senior Bowl and the Combine can make magic speaking about how much a player's value can increase.

PECKERWOOD
01-23-2009, 12:25 PM
I like my mock draft better.

Rd1.) B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College
Rd2.) Chase Coffman, TE, Missouri
Rd3.) Eric Wood, C, Louisville
Rd4.) Ramses Barden, WR, Cal Poly-SLO
Rd5.) Derek Walker, DE, Illinois
Rd6.) Lee Robinson, OLB, Alcorn State
Rd7.) Kyle Moore, DE, USC

Sign Houshmandzadeh, WR
Sign O' Sullivan, QB
Sign Karlos Dansby, LB
Sign Chambers, RT

That would be a good team.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-23-2009, 12:33 PM
^ But you are forgetting the pass rush!

I would sign Berry, Suggs, or Spicer other than Dansby.

mysticsoto
01-23-2009, 12:59 PM
I like my mock draft better.

Rd1.) B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College
Rd2.) Chase Coffman, TE, Missouri
Rd3.) Eric Wood, C, Louisville
Rd4.) Ramses Barden, WR, Cal Poly-SLO
Rd5.) Derek Walker, DE, Illinois
Rd6.) Lee Robinson, OLB, Alcorn State
Rd7.) Kyle Moore, DE, USC

Sign Houshmandzadeh, WR
Sign O' Sullivan, QB
Sign Karlos Dansby, LB
Sign Chambers, RT

That would be a good team.

I wouldn't be upset with that draft, but ideally, I'd like to get another run blocking OG in. If you sign Who's-yer-momma, I see no reason to spend another 4th on a WR when we have Evans, Reed, Parrish, Hardy, Johnson, Jenkins and two others with 4.4 speed on the PS that have been signed off it and onto the team. I might even use the 4th to grab a DE like Viceune (sp? - From Hawaii) if he lasts that long and grab a Guard in the 5th instead.

PECKERWOOD
01-23-2009, 08:50 PM

Who cares if Unger eventually moved outside to tackle? He would still be our starting center in the meantime. Fowler and Preston couldn't hold Unger's jockstrap. Peters, Dockery, Unger, Butler, Walker --- Pretty good line, would like to see some competition at LG/RG.

jimbohastle51
01-23-2009, 11:15 PM
it is almost a certainty that we pick up a vet center in free agency (no way we just take a rookie and that is it going into camp) so i am guessing in free agency they have a plan to try to sign either birk or brown as a top priority and also i believe a TE in free agency is a top priority. there is no premium pass rushers in our price range during free agency. you could sign a jason brown and a bo scaife for the price of one terrell suggs or julius peppers (both of which are WAY out of our price range). this is just my view on it, but basically going by the free agents available and how buffalo is with its money i see us targeting our pass rusher in the draft at round 1 or 2 and a OLB as well (but i could see us still signing a OLB in free agency as well, just not a bart scott, maybe like bringing crowell back with little guaranteed money and alot of incentives). i feel wood will be the guy they will go after because he will be there after unger and mack are gone but he fits our team better because of all the 3-4 defenses we play and he is used to seeing those fronts, and where we would get him would allow us to draft more needing positions. nothing wrong with unger or mack, in fact if we do in fact take a center as high as round 2 i would rather see us go after one of those 2, but if we are going to be a playoff team next year with our running game they are going to want a solid vet manning the center position.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-24-2009, 08:56 AM
Unfortunately we don't have two third rounders so I would still use both the second and the third two grab Nelson and Caldwell because I know for sure any of these two is gonna make it to the fourth round.

And believe me, both the Senior Bowl and the Combine can make magic speaking about how much a player's value can increase. Actually I'm backing down, maybe we should wait until the third round to get Nelson and trade our 4th rounder and something else to move up to the third round and pick Caldwell. That way we would have our first and second round picks free to get the best players available and we could be filling up huge holes with two third round picks who could potentially become great steals.
Also, Nelson and Caldwell are NFL ready and that is good for third round guys.

But anyway, that would be too good to actually be true

jpdex12
01-24-2009, 10:22 PM

Bomar sucked tonight! 3rd round? Yuck! We need to save the later round picks for a QB prospect, start Trent and pick up a veteran backup QB. Thank god this site is an amatuer wishing well!

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-24-2009, 10:25 PM
Actually I'm backing down, maybe we should wait until the third round to get Nelson and trade our 4th rounder and something else to move up to the third round and pick Caldwell. That way we would have our first and second round picks free to get the best players available and we could be filling up huge holes with two third round picks who could potentially become great steals.
Also, Nelson and Caldwell are NFL ready and that is good for third round guys.

But anyway, that would be too good to actually be true
But now I'm just realizing Caldwell might not even make it to the third round.

jpdex12
01-24-2009, 10:35 PM
Orakpo in round 1...oh yeah. I wouldn't mind seeing us grab Coffman in round two and Wood at Center in round three if the draft shakes out to be similar to what WalterFootball predicts with this mock. Wood looked pretty good in tonight's Nort/South game. He pulled like a beast from the Gaurd position. He's able to move between Center and Gaurd which is nice. Ultimately we need a Center for the future but I'd expect to see us grab a good vetern via FA to groom someone this year.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-24-2009, 10:56 PM
^ There is no way possible in this world and I mean NO WAY POSSIBLE that Eric Wood is gonna make it to the third round. I think he might just have won late first round money this night.

FlyingDutchman
01-24-2009, 10:59 PM
they have us getting:
rd1) DE brian orakpo TEXAS
rd2) C max unger OREGON
rd3) TE jared cook SOUTH CAROLINA

t
i would be happy with this except i think we can get a better TE in round 3 than cook, but the top 2 picks are really nice.

id do back flips with as our draft

PECKERWOOD
01-24-2009, 11:08 PM
I wouldn't be upset with that draft, but ideally, I'd like to get another run blocking OG in. If you sign Who's-yer-momma, I see no reason to spend another 4th on a WR when we have Evans, Reed, Parrish, Hardy, Johnson, Jenkins and two others with 4.4 speed on the PS that have been signed off it and onto the team. I might even use the 4th to grab a DE like Viceune (sp? - From Hawaii) if he lasts that long and grab a Guard in the 5th instead.

That's definately a legitimate criticism, we would have to get rid of Jenkins and probably Roscoe Parrish to make that draft happen. Or perhaps we could get rid of Jenkins and put Hardy on IR because of the ACL, we may have room to pull it off that way but I absolutely agree, a DE in the 4th maybe the better option, however Barden is looking like a freakish talent.

DraftBoy
01-26-2009, 10:59 AM
Bomar sucked tonight! 3rd round? Yuck! We need to save the later round picks for a QB prospect, start Trent and pick up a veteran backup QB. Thank god this site is an amatuer wishing well!

Bomar displayed great mechanics and good footwork which is all that matters in this game QB wise. Its not about production, you know how hard it is to develop even average timing with a WR after only one week of practice with limited reps?

DraftBoy
01-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Who cares if Unger eventually moved outside to tackle? He would still be our starting center in the meantime. Fowler and Preston couldn't hold Unger's jockstrap. Peters, Dockery, Unger, Butler, Walker --- Pretty good line, would like to see some competition at LG/RG.

Umm...I care. You want to put a guy at OC who will only be the answer there for maybe 3 years? Why?? And where are you going to put him after that? He's a LT and Peters is entrenched there. We can't just think about what the answer is for next season, when we pick it must be somebody whose going to be the answer in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and beyond.

yordad
01-26-2009, 12:22 PM
Umm...I care. You want to put a guy at OC who will only be the answer there for maybe 3 years? Why?? And where are you going to put him after that? He's a LT and Peters is entrenched there. We can't just think about what the answer is for next season, when we pick it must be somebody whose going to be the answer in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and beyond.Yeah that would suck if we got a guy that upgraded the center position for a few years, and then took over for Peters at tackle when his contract is up. So unBills like.

jpdex12
01-26-2009, 10:22 PM
Bomar displayed great mechanics and good footwork which is all that matters in this game QB wise. Its not about production, you know how hard it is to develop even average timing with a WR after only one week of practice with limited reps?

I've seen plenty of solid QB prospects in the Senior Bowl show good production and go on to have good careers and I've seen other QB prospects in the Senior Bowl look like crap and play well in the NFL.

What was apparent was that none of the QB's in the Senior Bowl looked good and I'd say that if you have any talent as a QB you adjust. No excuses.

jpdex12
01-26-2009, 10:23 PM
JP Losman had good footwork too! Enough said.