PDA

View Full Version : Mike Mayock just said...

Patti120
01-22-2009, 07:38 PM
... on Path to the draft that 4 out of the top 5 DE's in this years draft will be OLB's in the nfl.

So do you think this will affect our first pick? Maybe the TE thing is more realistic? (I'm def. against TE in round 1 as just about everyone else is) so I wonder if we will try to trade down? Go OT or Center? Take another DB (God I hope not). OLB is another need so maybe it won't affect our pick?

Lets hope the FO doesn't screw the pooch!

:movie:

yordad
01-22-2009, 07:42 PM
We could use a OLB too. :idunno:

Mr. Miyagi
01-22-2009, 07:44 PM
We could use a OLB as well.

Mr. Miyagi
01-22-2009, 07:45 PM
Echo?

DraftBoy
01-22-2009, 07:46 PM
... on Path to the draft that 4 out of the top 5 DE's in this years draft will be OLB's in the nfl.

So do you think this will affect our first pick? Maybe the TE thing is more realistic? (I'm def. against TE in round 1 as just about everyone else is) so I wonder if we will try to trade down? Go OT or Center? Take another DB (God I hope not). OLB is another need so maybe it won't affect our pick?

He is talking about;
Everette Brown
Micheal Johnson
Aaron Maybin
Brian Orakpo

Personally I dont see Orakpo as a 3-4 OLB but I guess it could happen...wow thats a bold statement by Mayock for sure.

DraftBoy
01-22-2009, 07:47 PM

He's talking about 3-4 OLB not a 4-3 OLB different positions and responsibilities. Also different skill sets needed.

patmoran2006
01-22-2009, 07:51 PM

I was all for drafting a TE if that TE was Gresham. But if they take Brandon P, they BETTER trade first.. WE dont need another "reach" like Whitner that high, for a TE nonetheless.

I dont know as much as I'd like about these DE's in this draft yet. But if we're not running a 3-4 then I dont think anyone of them would be good 4-3 LBs.

If there isnt a pure 4-3 DE available at 11 who we like, or Curry doesnt slip to 11 (he won't dont worry)-- and if the DT from BC is gone, then they really should trade down, they could stil get the TOp TE or center in the draft.

If we take another DB at 11 I'm really going to lose my mind.

Mitchell55
01-22-2009, 08:04 PM
I was all for drafting a TE if that TE was Gresham. But if they take Brandon P, they BETTER trade first.. WE dont need another "reach" like Whitner that high, for a TE nonetheless.

I dont know as much as I'd like about these DE's in this draft yet. But if we're not running a 3-4 then I dont think anyone of them would be good 4-3 LBs.

If there isnt a pure 4-3 DE available at 11 who we like, or Curry doesnt slip to 11 (he won't dont worry)-- and if the DT from BC is gone, then they really should trade down, they could stil get the TOp TE or center in the draft.

If we take another DB at 11 I'm really going to lose my mind.

Sanchez will probably be on the board so trade with the Jets, Bears, or TB and get a 2nd. Move to 19, 18, or 16?

DraftBoy
01-22-2009, 08:07 PM
Sanchez will probably be on the board so trade with the Jets, Bears, or TB and get a 2nd. Move to 19, 18, or 16?

Bears have said they have no interest in a QB they are going with Orton, Bucs took Josh Johnson last year and really like him, granted they have a new HC and GM but they are from within. Jets may have interest but it will all hinge on Farve and they have Erik Ainge on the practice squad they may want to take a look at.

Mitchell55
01-22-2009, 08:11 PM
Bears have said they have no interest in a QB they are going with Orton, Bucs took Josh Johnson last year and really like him, granted they have a new HC and GM but they are from within. Jets may have interest but it will all hinge on Farve and they have Erik Ainge on the practice squad they may want to take a look at.

Johnson is no Sanchez. After last year and everyone hatin on favre, hes gone and Ainge wasnt that good in college. I watched alot of Tennesse games and he isnt anything special.

DraftBoy
01-22-2009, 08:17 PM
Johnson is no Sanchez. After last year and everyone hatin on favre, hes gone and Ainge wasnt that good in college. I watched alot of Tennesse games and he isnt anything special.

How do you know Johnson isnt Sanchez or better? Tampa has a guy they like him why would they burn a 1st Round pick on another QB? That doesnt make any sense.

Ainge was up and down you're right and they likely will go a QB in this draft but Im not sure it will be their 1st Round priority.

VeggieMan14
01-22-2009, 08:51 PM
Johnson is no Sanchez. After last year and everyone hatin on favre, hes gone and Ainge wasnt that good in college. I watched alot of Tennesse games and he isnt anything special.Johnson was a beast... id bet he is even better then Sanchez... sanchez had one good game johnson had a season where i think he threw like 49 TD's and one int correct me if i am wrong

DraftBoy
01-22-2009, 09:00 PM
Johnson was a beast... id bet he is even better then Sanchez... sanchez had one good game johnson had a season where i think he threw like 49 TD's and one int correct me if i am wrong

Also is the NCAA's all time passing efficiency leader at 176.7

jdbillsfan
01-22-2009, 10:24 PM
Mayock also said his #1 C is Eric Wood.

X-Era
01-23-2009, 06:03 AM

BS!

Sanchez is a one year wonder who is way overhyped.

X-Era
01-23-2009, 06:05 AM
Mayock also said his #1 C is Eric Wood.

I think its a case of none of them being the Mangold type.

I think your looking at 3 or 4 getting very similar grades... Mack, Unger, Wood, Caldwell, maybe Shipley and Luigs.

This is a spot that, if we don't get one through free agency, we could get a good prospect into the 3rd maybe 4th round IMO.

patmoran2006
01-23-2009, 07:01 AM
I really think we're going to sign a veteran center through FA, so I'm not really thinking center in the draft.

I think offense will get adressed via FA (Center for sure) maybe a vet WR and hopefully a better TE than Royal. Of course a viable QB backup as well.

While the defense is predominant in the draft.

yordad
01-23-2009, 07:11 AM
johnson had a season where i think he threw like 49 TD's and one int correct me if i am wrongHoly Schnikies!

PECKERWOOD
01-23-2009, 07:19 AM
I wouldn't be mad if we traded down and took Unger, who can play all 3 positions on the OL.

DraftBoy
01-23-2009, 07:36 AM
I think its a case of none of them being the Mangold type.

I think your looking at 3 or 4 getting very similar grades... Mack, Unger, Wood, Caldwell, maybe Shipley and Luigs.

This is a spot that, if we don't get one through free agency, we could get a good prospect into the 3rd maybe 4th round IMO.

See we agree on the OC position too!

methos4ever
01-23-2009, 08:01 AM
Also, there are a few guys that are running low on the radar due to the other Centers in the draft such as Shipley and Cecil Newton, who would be a great center to develop with a Vet (Birk, Meester or un-needed if we get Brown) ahead of them.

Jan Reimers
01-23-2009, 08:43 AM
This draft is shaping up to be one where I wish I had more confidence in the evaluation skills of our front office.

billogic99
01-23-2009, 08:48 AM

I think what Mike was saying was he thinks those Defensive ends would be able to trasition from the end spot to a stand up OLB easily in the 3-4 defense. Since so many teams are running the 3-4, he could see them being drafted to be OLB not DE's. I don't think he was making the statement as if they were OLB in the NFL not DE.

I think if one of those DE's is still on the board and he's the best player on the board the Bill HAVE to take him. The Bills really seriously need to rebuild both lines before they even think about doing anything else IMO.

justasportsfan
01-23-2009, 09:53 AM
This draft is shaping up to be one where I wish I had more confidence in the evaluation skills of our front office.
most likely grabbing a safety with our first pick.

bigbub2352
01-23-2009, 09:59 AM
I have been saying this since the draft talk started we need to go to a 3-4, the days of big DEs are coming few and far between, they are stocked with athletic 3-4 type pass rushers,
Most of these guys coming out are tweeners
i would luv to have 4 LBers on the feild
i think we are goin Cb in rd 1

DraftBoy
01-23-2009, 10:40 AM

This year's is important but next year's will be the most important in our entire history imo. The class next year is beyond ridiculous.

patmoran2006
01-23-2009, 10:42 AM
This year's is important but next year's will be the most important in our entire history imo. The class next year is beyond ridiculous.
well we're very likely to get a Top 10 pick again next year.

DraftBoy
01-23-2009, 10:44 AM
well we're very likely to get a Top 10 pick again next year.

We'll see, all I can do is scout and share. I can't control the outcome or who we take.

jamze132
01-23-2009, 01:20 PM
I am willing to bet Detroit doesn't take a QB with their #1 pick. IMO, they take the best O-lineman.