PDA

View Full Version : Bills should have options at 11

shelby
01-23-2009, 06:08 AM
Though the 2009 NFL draft is still three months away, the prospects at the Senior Bowl have kept draft talk on the front burner. The good news is at pick 11, Buffalo is virtually guaranteed to land an immediate impact player, and will likely have close to the pick of the litter at a few need positions.
There’s little debate that the Bills need a big boost for their pass rush. With a limited free agent market for pass rushing talent, the draft is the next logical place to turn. Often NFL teams have to grab a pass rusher early if they want an immediate impact, and after just 50 sacks over the last two seasons Buffalo has to address the need.
Fortunately in the pick 10 to 15 range it’s likely that two to three of the best candidates will still be on the board. NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock believes teams in need of pass rush help in that range of the draft will benefit from some junior eligibles.

more.... (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/bills-should-have-options-at-11/0273e582-3dfa-4b5e-b159-b0933d0fa7e1)

DraftBoy
01-23-2009, 07:41 AM
What a fluff piece, our position in the draft is nowhere nears as promising as he's making it out to be.

Night Train
01-23-2009, 07:46 AM
They can land a DE, OLB type that can help immediately. It's whether they execute that properly or pick a bum.

PECKERWOOD
01-23-2009, 07:47 AM
B.J. Raji, Ray Maualuga and Michael Johnson would all be good picks at 11.

DraftBoy
01-23-2009, 07:48 AM
They can land a DE, OLB type that can help immediately. It's whether they execute that properly or pick a bum.

They can land a DE or OLB, Im not convinced that it will be a player that can help immediately though.

PECKERWOOD
01-23-2009, 07:50 AM
They can land a DE or OLB, Im not convinced that it will be a player that can help immediately though.

I thought you were high on Michael Johnson? What's changed since then? We could easily look back a year from now and Michael Johnson could be the best and most complete DE in this year's class.

Jan Reimers
01-23-2009, 08:51 AM
I agree, but after 9 years of futility, we really need 2 or 3 picks that can help immediately, plus a couple of free agents. We just can't afford prospects and projects anymore.

Mr. Pink
01-23-2009, 09:08 AM
With so many of the top talent underclassmen deciding to go back, the pickings aren't going to be great at number 11. Unfortunately.

This is the perfect year to trade down if someone falls that we don't need and we find a partner.

DraftBoy
01-23-2009, 10:43 AM
I thought you were high on Michael Johnson? What's changed since then? We could easily look back a year from now and Michael Johnson could be the best and most complete DE in this year's class.

I am but I also recognize he has flaws in his game. I dont think any of the DE's (Orakpo included) are going to be hige impact players in the NFL year 1. I dont see enough consistency in their games.

The draft is full of high reward players but a lot of them are just not ready yet. Guys like Maclin, Brown, Stafford, Sanchez, Greene, Moreno, are all the tops or near the top at their positions and they aren't ready yet. They need time, this draft has plenty of talent, but its not ready for the NFL yet, in a year or two is when we will truly see this classes impact. I firmly believe that.

DraftBoy
01-23-2009, 10:43 AM
I agree, but after 9 years of futility, we really need 2 or 3 picks that can help immediately, plus a couple of free agents. We just can't afford prospects and projects anymore.

We will not get that from this class, and that's not just a knock on our FO, which sucks, but its also about the class itself. Its just not ready yet.

jimbohastle51
01-23-2009, 10:51 AM
this isnt as strong a draft as we have seen the past few years, alot of the top juniors went back to school. i can think of 4 sure fire 1st round picks that didnt turn pro (bradford, spikes, gresham, hardy), any DE we draft especially high is going to take longer to mature at the NFL level because they are going to have to learn to play with alot more leverage against elite tackles and guards at the next level. guys like michael johnson and everette brown and orkapo for that matter will not just throw these offensive linemen off there blocks, they are going to have to learn alot before being the 12-15 sack a year guys they are projected to be.

PECKERWOOD
01-23-2009, 11:56 AM
I think that Michael Johnson would be a wise pick at 11. I also think that taking a DE in the 3rd-4th round on top of that would be a good idea as well. I fully expect us to draft 2 this year.

madness
01-23-2009, 12:00 PM
I have to agree with DB, this draft is full of potential.

BillsWin
01-23-2009, 12:55 PM
“Brandon Pettigrew has just been dominant at the tight end position here,” said NFL Network draft analyst Charles Davis. “He can run and catch. We watched him in a blocking drill and he won every rep that we saw. We saw three reps against high quality linebackers coming at him off the edge on the line of scrimmage and they played run blocking and pass blocking and all three situations that I saw it wasn’t even close. He also looked very good running. He was a lot more fluid than people might understand. When he runs I think he’ll surprise people with his 40 time. He’s the total package.”

hmmmmmmmmmmm.......... and I am an idiot for defending Pettigrew as being a great player and possible first round talent...

Mitchell55
01-23-2009, 12:57 PM
What a fluff piece, our position in the draft is nowhere nears as promising as he's making it out to be.

Im kind of confused why your name is draft boy.

TacklingDummy
01-23-2009, 01:04 PM
I have to agree with DB, this draft is full of potential.
Most drafts are. Let's just hope whoever we pick ends up fulfilling his potential.

jamze132
01-23-2009, 01:11 PM
We should only have 3 options at #11...

DE, C, or LB. Pick the best available from those 3. Probably DE.

patmoran2006
01-23-2009, 01:18 PM
I think that Michael Johnson would be a wise pick at 11. I also think that taking a DE in the 3rd-4th round on top of that would be a good idea as well. I fully expect us to draft 2 this year.
Not that his word holds anymore water than anyone else, but Mel Kiper whole heartedly disagrees with you.. This is what he said regarding Johnson.

"
“He’s a kid with enormous talent, but there were games last year when he was no factor whatsoever,” Kiper said. “He doesn’t play the run all that well. He’s a one-dimensional guy. He’s not real tough, not real physical. But he’s a very gifted athlete.

“He went from a top-five pick on potential when the season started to a late first-round, early second-round kind of guy. He’s a lean kid who still has to fill out yet. He just wasn’t productive. He may wind up as a situational pass rusher because I don’t know if he can hold up against the run.”"

bflojohn
01-23-2009, 01:58 PM
This is just the kind of draft where you "stock up" on big, physical, and nasty attitude linemen! If the Bills drafted nothing but the Tyson Jackson's, B.J. Raji's, Peria Jerry's of the world along with the Alex Mack's, Duke Robinson's, and Craig Urbik's I'd be thrilled! We've arguably got skill in Buffalo, let's add the beef.

patmoran2006
01-23-2009, 01:59 PM
I tend to agree with ya at this point..

madness
01-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Most drafts are. Let's just hope whoever we pick ends up fulfilling his potential.

This more than any. I just don't see a lot of immediate impact guys this year.

DraftBoy
01-23-2009, 05:03 PM
Im kind of confused why your name is draft boy.

What is so confusing about it?

TigerJ
01-23-2009, 05:03 PM

There are lots of ifs, and Brown is talking about some players who would be reaches at #11 (at least according to a consensus of observers) and as we know sometimes a trade down is easier said than done. So, I agree. There's no new information here, and some names mentioned are probably not realistic.

PECKERWOOD
01-23-2009, 08:38 PM
I don't like the term "reach." Who cares? Honestly? If the player turns out to be good and you "reached" for him, then in hindsight you really didn't reach for him at all.

Night Train
01-24-2009, 05:38 PM
This is just the kind of draft where you "stock up" on big, physical, and nasty attitude linemen! If the Bills drafted nothing but the Tyson Jackson's, B.J. Raji's, Peria Jerry's of the world along with the Alex Mack's, Duke Robinson's, and Craig Urbik's I'd be thrilled! We've arguably got skill in Buffalo, let's add the beef.

That makes too much sense. :up:

DraftBoy
01-24-2009, 06:25 PM
I don't like the term "reach." Who cares? Honestly? If the player turns out to be good and you "reached" for him, then in hindsight you really didn't reach for him at all.

I care, its not a common thing for a team to reach and suceed with their pick. A lot of the value chart or big boards these guys do are useful. Our last few reaches that we can fairly grade Whitner and McCargo were huge mistakes.

PECKERWOOD
01-24-2009, 08:49 PM
I care, its not a common thing for a team to reach and suceed with their pick. A lot of the value chart or big boards these guys do are useful. Our last few reaches that we can fairly grade Whitner and McCargo were huge mistakes.

Not always, sometimes alot of 2nd rounders prove to be much better than 1st rounders -- it all depends really. Every year in the 1st round you will hear a name that makes you go "Umm, WTF?" Take Logan Mankins for example, I don't think that the Patriots are regretting that pick too much. What I'm trying to say is, I don't care if we "reach" for a guy by 10-20 spots as long as he proves to be a gamer.

Block "O"
01-25-2009, 04:55 AM
People are in a daze if they think Maulaluga is falling. The Browns need LBs for their 3-4 and if they take a CB, he won't fall much past #5 anyways.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-25-2009, 11:36 AM
^ There is no way Maualuga is going to b picked in the first five picks, forget it.

Block "O"
01-28-2009, 12:19 AM
^ There is no way Maualuga is going to b picked in the first five picks, forget it.

Really thats funny because if the Browns don't take Jenkins its all but a no brainer they'll take Rey.

DraftBoy
01-28-2009, 07:11 AM
Really thats funny because if the Browns don't take Jenkins its all but a no brainer they'll take Rey.
No its not, they would take Curry over Rey all day long. If they didnt I think FTY would jump in front of a bus. You don't pass on Aaron Curry to take Rey Maualuga unless you are trying to get ripped apart.

DraftBoy
01-28-2009, 07:12 AM
Not always, sometimes alot of 2nd rounders prove to be much better than 1st rounders -- it all depends really. Every year in the 1st round you will hear a name that makes you go "Umm, WTF?" Take Logan Mankins for example, I don't think that the Patriots are regretting that pick too much. What I'm trying to say is, I don't care if we "reach" for a guy by 10-20 spots as long as he proves to be a gamer.

That's a huge IF and your trying to take the exceptions and apply it to the rules for every reach that works out, I can name you three that didnt. The Draft is a little bit of a crap shoot, we all know that but the good teams reaching who have proven scouting departments arent reaching, thats them just being that much better than everybody else.