PDA

View Full Version : Bills rehire Nix as Scout

Dr. Lecter
01-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Orchard Park, NY - The Bills are dipping into their past, to beef up their scouting staff in the future. News 4 has learned that veteran NFL scout Buddy Nix is returning to the Bills, in the positon of National Scout.

Nix confirmed the appointment when we talked to him by phone, from his home in Tennessee. He spent eight years with the Bills as a scout and personnel expert, when John Butler was the team's general manager, and AJ Smith was the chief pro scout. When Butler and Smith left the Bills in 2001 for San Diego, Nix followed them West.

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/sports/Bills_hire_veteran_scout_20090122

Finally, good news out of OBD!

DraftBoy
01-23-2009, 10:44 AM
This is a step in the right direction. Nix is highly regarded, its late in the process imo, but he will help immensely in coming years.

Pinkerton Security
01-23-2009, 11:02 AM
well at least we know now that Russ isnt just gonna throw darts at our "draft board" for selections...or at least maybe Nix can organize the players such that we'll have a better chance at Russ hitting a good one.

ParanoidAndroid
01-23-2009, 11:13 AM
It might be late for this year, but I'm sure his experience will more than make up for it. He should be able to get a lot done in the next 2 months.

THATHURMANATOR
01-23-2009, 11:17 AM
It might be late for this year, but I'm sure his experience will more than make up for it. He should be able to get a lot done in the next 2 months.
Seriously. Has he not been out scouting?

ParanoidAndroid
01-23-2009, 11:22 AM
He wasn't with a team this year, so probably not. I'd bet he's been watching, though.

THATHURMANATOR
01-23-2009, 11:24 AM
If the guy is a good scout I am sure he was out there.

bigbub2352
01-23-2009, 11:26 AM
This is actually very good news, he is a solid talent evalulater and his got a ton of exp, hope we get some more old scouts back from before TD era
a small peice of good news is always welcome espeically this offseason

ddaryl
01-23-2009, 11:32 AM
I think he'll be very valuable this year. A life long scout doens't flush it form his veins during a single offseason. I'm willing to bet he had notes on players in anticipation of a job offer

DraftBoy
01-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Seriously. Has he not been out scouting?

He was the Chargers Asst. GM until October when he retired. He's been in the field.

Dr. Lecter
01-23-2009, 11:34 AM
Now re-hire Dwight Adams too!

madness
01-23-2009, 12:11 PM
Maybe Modrak did get a bigger say in the decision making. This one actually makes sense!

Michael82
01-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Now re-hire Dwight Adams too!
That would be an excellent move!

yordad
01-23-2009, 12:22 PM
Who did he replace? He couldn't possibly be an addition!

Nighthawk
01-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Orchard Park, NY - The Bills are dipping into their past, to beef up their scouting staff in the future. News 4 has learned that veteran NFL scout Buddy Nix is returning to the Bills, in the positon of National Scout.

Nix confirmed the appointment when we talked to him by phone, from his home in Tennessee. He spent eight years with the Bills as a scout and personnel expert, when John Butler was the team's general manager, and AJ Smith was the chief pro scout. When Butler and Smith left the Bills in 2001 for San Diego, Nix followed them West.

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/sports/Bills_hire_veteran_scout_20090122

Finally, good news out of OBD!

That is very good news!

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Actually I was wondering who was going to be responsible for the draft, Brandon? I was doubtful because he is not even technically a general manager and he doesn't really has any experience in football, lets remember he is the COO and his job has to do more with money managment and marketing other than actual football. So now Buddy Nix is going to decide who we draft?

This makes me wonder who made the picks in last year's draft?

Nighthawk
01-23-2009, 12:33 PM
Also, this is another piece of the spin machine coming from One Bills Drive. They know that reaching back into a very successful part of our past will make some ticket buyers happy. They did it to sell tickets when Marv was brought in. I'm not saying this is a bad move, but it seems like a move to appease the fanbase...to a degree.

Griz78
01-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Dwight Adams is great! I think he was still here in TD's first draft that netted us Clements, Schobel and Henry. He is always good for a great quote also..."Tougher than a two dollar steak!"

Dr. Lecter
01-23-2009, 12:45 PM
Also, this is another piece of the spin machine coming from One Bills Drive. They know that reaching back into a very successful part of our past will make some ticket buyers happy. They did it to sell tickets when Marv was brought in. I'm not saying this is a bad move, but it seems like a move to appease the fanbase...to a degree.

I would agree with you if the Bills made the announcement but they have not (as far as I can tell.)

jamze132
01-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Or at least making fun of Kiper...

justasportsfan
01-23-2009, 01:29 PM
He wasn't with a team this year, so probably not. I'd bet he's been watching, though.
Draftboy is not with any team either but he keeps tabs on college players. Same goes with Kiper and Mayock.

DBrown77
01-23-2009, 04:30 PM
Super Bowl here we come!

Seriously though at least we have heard of him

TigerJ
01-23-2009, 04:52 PM
Nix is highly regarded, its late in the process imo. . . That depends on what he's been doing for the last 6 months. If he had hopes of hooking up with some team, he may have been working to be up to speed with this year's crop of draftable players. I would guess that from now up to the draft is when a lot of the interviewing is taking place. He may already have done a lot of film study.

Typ0
01-23-2009, 04:55 PM

I hightly doubt it thurm without a team behind him there would be zero resources available and he'd have to pay his own expenses.

Why wasn't this guy working last year anyway?

Typ0
01-23-2009, 04:57 PM
Actually I was wondering who was going to be responsible for the draft, Brandon? I was doubtful because he is not even technically a general manager and he doesn't really has any experience in football, lets remember he is the COO and his job has to do more with money managment and marketing other than actual football. So now Buddy Nix is going to decide who we draft?

This makes me wonder who made the picks in last year's draft?

all of the people in the organization had influence on the structure of the draft board...and ralph wilson made the decision who to draft.

DraftBoy
01-23-2009, 05:03 PM
I hightly doubt it thurm without a team behind him there would be zero resources available and he'd have to pay his own expenses.

He was, he was the San Diego Asst GM up until October when he retired.

Goobylal
01-23-2009, 08:36 PM
This is a great move. Nix was an excellent scout for the Bills before leaving for the Chargers with Butler and Smith, and ran the Chargers' (pretty good) drafts.

methos4ever
01-24-2009, 06:07 AM
Great hire! As Goob just said, he ran the drafts, until he had a falling out (surprise surprise) with AJ Smith. Here's the article:

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2008/may/01/university-tennessee-chattanooga-dont-expect-nix-s/

Also, he'll be reporting to Modrak, so it seems to me that he will have strong input in our drafts and be the "in town" voice that Modrak in Florida is not. All in all they both win: both get to scout, both get to help with the draft, and both can still spend time with their families without costing the team man-hours.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-24-2009, 08:42 AM
He retired according to someone in this thread, he was the Assitant GM of AJ Smith or something.

all of the people in the organization had influence on the structure of the draft board...and ralph wilson made the decision who to draft.
Oh damn, that was not the answer I wanted to hear.

Nighthawk
01-24-2009, 09:01 AM
He retired according to someone in this thread, he was the Assitant GM of AJ Smith or something.

Oh damn, that was not the answer I wanted to hear.

I wouldn't take it to heart...that is an assumption that is being made. Yes, I'm sure Wilson has some input, but no, I'm sure he doesn't make the call on draft day...at least not on every pick.

justasportsfan
01-24-2009, 09:19 AM
I wonder who's input will have more bearing. Modrak or Nix. Will they bump heads?

Typ0
01-24-2009, 10:02 AM
I wouldn't take it to heart...that is an assumption that is being made. Yes, I'm sure Wilson has some input, but no, I'm sure he doesn't make the call on draft day...at least not on every pick.

I can't remember who said it exactly. It was either DJ or ML...but they said in a press conference that RW makes the call. What we know for sure after 50 years is he's constantly telling the people he hires what decisions they have to make. What makes you so sure this is any different?

DraftBoy
01-24-2009, 10:08 AM
I don't think that's exactly accurate. From the way I understood (and I could also be wrong) the tripod of dysfunction came to a decision on a pick and Wilson merely signed off on it, not that he made the call on the pick.

Goobylal
01-24-2009, 10:17 AM
On non-concensus picks Wilson made the call. The only one that I'm aware of was Dwayne Wright.

Typ0
01-24-2009, 10:19 AM
I don't think that's exactly accurate. From the way I understood (and I could also be wrong) the tripod of dysfunction came to a decision on a pick and Wilson merely signed off on it, not that he made the call on the pick.

maybe I'm mistaken. I think it was something I heard in a radio press conference and don't remember when to verify. But I also thought they said they were talking about who to pick and RW said what his opinion was and they complied because you know damn well he would only hire yes men.

Nighthawk
01-24-2009, 11:21 AM
maybe I'm mistaken. I think it was something I heard in a radio press conference and don't remember when to verify. But I also thought they said they were talking about who to pick and RW said what his opinion was and they complied because you know damn well he would only hire yes men.

I heard something similar about a draft a few years ago when Ralph tried to get them to pick a kicker (Jets...I'm having a brain fart right now...can't remember name), but he was off the board by the time the Bills picked, so the ultimate arguement never came to be.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-24-2009, 01:32 PM
Tripod of dysfunction? Can you be more specific?

DynaPaul
01-26-2009, 04:43 PM
I hope this guy helps us because we really can't afford to waste another draft only coming up with one or two average players.

jimbohastle51
01-26-2009, 06:52 PM
at least our first off season move was a great one. this guy is exactly what we need for a scout for a couple years, till we get a consistent playoff team together.

jimbohastle51
01-26-2009, 06:53 PM
he will have some say in the draft as well, he wouldnt be coming back unless he had at least a voice in things, he was also handed the best scouting area which is good to know a good eye is evaluating the players.

SeatownBillsFan21
01-26-2009, 07:24 PM
this is great news hope he hasn't lost it

casdhf
01-27-2009, 02:12 PM
How old is this guy?

lukabrossi
01-27-2009, 10:45 PM
well, it looks like the bills may finally be one step closer to a commitment of a winning franchise.....but they'll probably **** it up....like they always do.

Block "O"
01-28-2009, 12:27 AM
I think he just just camp out at THE Ohio State University for this draft.

Syderick
12-31-2009, 01:52 PM
bump