X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Why are we keeping the Tampa 2

First of all I don't like it but it was hardly the problem if this team. the main difference is offense

teams that made playoffs that were ranked lower than the bills defensively but look at where they were ranked offensively.

team - Defense - Offense

Bills -------14 - 25
    Miami -----15 - 12
    Panthers-18 - 10
    Cardinals 19 - 4
    Saints -----23 - 1
    Falcons -- 24 - 6
    Chargers 25 - 11

D-

O-

Who knows how much better Schobel would've made this D if he didn't get injured.

I realize there are other factors involved like ST, strength of schedule , head to head match up, etc. But I guess we get the picture that the O was the weakest link.

My guess is Dick showed Ralph these stats and said, "we just need to fix the offense"

Ralph asked "how? "
    Dick "we need to grab more talent at this and that position on O blah,blah,blah...."

and at this point Ralphy fell asleep then Dick said "we're keeping Turk".

When Ralph woke up, he only remembered Dick saying he'll fix the O and agreed but didn't know we were retaining Turk.

MY guess is, we're going to address the O on both draft and FA. From WR , TE , C all posibilities.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Why are we keeping the Tampa 2

Who cares about their yardage ranking ? When the D needs to get off the field, they can't make a stop. They think giving up 7 yards a play is better than getting beat deep. Sharp thinking.

That's been going on for years. Rinse/repeat.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Night Train
      Who cares about their yardage ranking ? When the D needs to get off the field, they can't make a stop. They think giving up 7 yards a play is better than getting beat deep. Sharp thinking.

That's been going on for years. Rinse/repeat.
      I don't disagree but as bad as this D is, our O is worse and yet we're keeping the brains behind the weakest link on this teams .

All the talk about being more agrressive than Fairchild was no where to be seen. The only thing did was get more aggressively conservative.
      sacrifice1

Comment

• bigbub2352
        • Feb 2005

I agree with both you guys, Our Offense has been neglected and we need to add playmakers
        That being said the OCver 2 is a fad that in my opinion is over, i always loved the 3-4 and the players coming out of college these days are suited for that scheme, there are not many big Dlineman anymore, and we blew it when we didnt pick Ngata
        Cover 2 is not providing the pressure on Qbs to make it an effective shutdown defense, they are on the feild to long and give up long sustained drives way to often
        Also the blitzs are easily picked up do to our small DEs and DTs(beside Stroud)
        3-4 is the way to go you are maximizing your talent and athletes on the feild in this type D i guess the teams that have won alot this decade already knew that Dick were u at?
        XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• ddaryl
          Everything I post is sexual inuendo
          • Jan 2005

Well I think the chart shows its our offense that does need to step up... BUT If we couple the offense with some disprutors and pass rushers on the D we could have a nice turn around in fortune... We need to improve the OL just as much as we need to upgrade our playmakers at WR and/or TE

uh-ohh did I just fall back into my offseason optimism routine... I'll never learn will I

Comment

• madness
            • Apr 2003

The defense locked down the red zone for the second year in a row. Unfortunately that's about all it did.

There's nothing wrong with it if you have a great pass rush and a decent offense. Unfortunately we don't have either.

3-4 is the latest fad. Unfortunately the Bills will most likely switch at the tail end of that fad.

The cover-2 as a base package was great due to the league-wide lack of consistancy at the QB position. Unfortunately that's a trend that's ending as well.

“The cover-2 is all but dead as a base defense. You’re still going to see it when teams have a lead, or when their corners are (crap). But you cannot sit back and let offenses pick you apart when they know where everyone is going to be. Our practice squad QB can pick apart cover 2.”

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
              Defies all logic
              • Oct 2006

If we got a guy like Raji with our 11th pick, the Tampa 2 could work.. It would be a change from the small d-linemen philosophy but still we would have a volatile front 4.

Comment

• Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
                • May 2007

We are talking about two different stories here. The offense sucks? yeah. The defense sucks? not that much but yeah. So basically we need to improve both sides of the ball.
                I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

Comment

• Buffalogic
                  Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                  • Feb 2006

The D isn't the problem. If you hold opponents to under 20 points a game you should win, period. We lose because of our offense. Playcalling most of all.

NT is right that they could never get off the field in key situations, but if the offense just scored earlier in the game the other team would have no opportunity to win late in the fourth qtr like we are so used to seeing.
                  Last edited by Buffalogic; 01-23-2009, 01:40 PM.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

looks like we're committed to the continuity of stupid systems on both sides of the ball.
                    sacrifice1

Comment

• xXSpIkes5IXx
                      • Mar 2006

The Saints didnt make the playoffs...

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

There are two reasons why we are keeping the Tampa 2:

1. Someone told Ralph and the Bills' FO that it doesn't require elite CB's so they think they can get by with a cheaper payroll by using it.
                        2. Jauron and his staff are married to their schemes no matter how often they fail.

justa's general point is correct: the offense was a much bigger problem than the D this year. However, this D certainly has it's limitations and it will limit this team's progress if it's not addressed with the O.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• crowder52
                          • Jul 2006

The Tampa 2 is not a bad defense, it's actually really good. The problem you guys have is the people that are running that Tampa 2 defense. Grab someone from like the Colts staff or get a guy like Lezlie frazier and see if the defense dosen't get better.

Comment

• Buffalogic
                            Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                            • Feb 2006

Coaches aren't the problem and neither is the tampa 2 defense.

It was painfully obvious we lacked a perimeter pass-rushing threat this season. We also lacked an actual starter at the OLB position.

When we all can easily isolate the two key areas where our defense just wasn't good enough personnel wise, then how can we honesty blame the scheme? We would be lacking in the those same areas (DE, OLB) no matter what new defense we changed to.

Comment

Working...
                            X