PDA

View Full Version : Prioritize the Bills offseason needs

ddaryl
01-24-2009, 12:44 PM
Lets hear from every one of you die hard broken heart Bills fans.

Personally My list goes like this

1.) Sign our own. Sign Peters quickly so it is not a pain in the ass distraction, or deal him and put us in a position to replace him. Not a popular choice, but we cannot be playing the Peters game every offseason

a.) Sign Jackson
b.) sign Crowell
c.) sign Digi
d.) sign Greer
e.) Offer RFA's tenders
2.) DE; We are super desperate for pass a rush. We need to force opposing QB's to make mistakes and not get comfortable. Free Agency would be my 1st choice but pickens are slim (Peppers and Suggs are the only pursuable options worth a damn) , and many of the DE's in the draft seem to be projected as OLB's in the NFL.

3.) C; We have to beef up the middle of our OL. Our C's got man handled by big NT's in 3-4 D's which in return had the entire O playing poorly vs: 3-4 D"s. I would get one of the C's that should be available in FA. Jason Brown would be my 1st choice based on his age. I would tell Preston to beef the **** up in the offseason if he ever wants to sniff the field again.

4.) OLB; Well see my DE comment above. We need an upgrade for Ellison. Crowell should be offered a contract, but i would not depend on Crowell to fix us. His injury concerns worry me. We can go either route FA or Draft but even if we resign Crowell we still need another OLB IMO... Ellison is too weak

5.) Backup QB. This is a vet FA pickup. There is no other option

6.) TE: We need one that can do it all. Not many TE's on the market so this could very well be a draft pcikup which means groom time. Better hope Fine and Schouman can pick it up, or Royal some how becomes Mr. Consistency. I feel good about Fine, but he hasn't done enough to eliminate the need to keep looking.

7.) WR upgrade is a tough call. It would be nice to have another threat, but unless we beef up the C of the OL and have a LT in the fold a WR upgrade would be futile.

I would take the best playmakers on the board in our draft over drafting for need. We need players that can disrupt opposing teams by themsleves. We are already loaded with role players.

patmoran2006
01-24-2009, 01:15 PM
I agree with a lot of what you said, though I would not resign Greer. We drafted McKelvin for this reason; we got enough talent at corner.. Spend it somewhere else.

I too would like Crowell back.. I think he'll be cheaper and for a shorter length than he would've been had he been healthy and played well like I expected this year.

I would also put a heavier emphasis on getting a good backup QB.. Trent is starting to show that he cant last over 16 weeks, so a good backup for him is invaluable.

bigbub2352
01-24-2009, 02:15 PM
i think we have to sign peters and jackson to multi-year deals
i think we have to sign good vet depth at WR, G, LBer, DT, DE, CB and SS
I think we should re-sign preston, chambers, RFA's Dig, and ellison and bryan
We need to draft on day 1 a DE, C, and TE
We need to sign a top of the line OLB, but will go the cheaper route i think Crowell gets re-signed if healthy i am not oppossed to that
We need to cut Kelsay and royal
We need to get a real starting caliber FB thru the draft in the 4-5th round
We need to sign a vet WR in FA, a proven number 2 even if it is an older player for a few yrs give Hardy and Johnson time to develop
We need to have a real number 3 rd used in the games like every other team does, may it be omon, hall, or a vet with size a power back
We need to add a solid number 2 vet QB Fitzpatrick
if u dont draft a Center u need to throw a bumch of money at josh brown from balt
Gotta do something right this offseason

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-24-2009, 02:27 PM
1) I agree, resign our own guys:

- Jason Peters: Just show him the money, we need him at training camp this time and even though he might be overrated he is our best o-liner.
- Fred Jackson: Offer him something better but not much, he is in no position to reject a decent offer... if he doesn't sign then it's not such a big deal.
- John DiGiorgio: Nice depth.
- Core McIntyre: I'm actually kidding about this one hahaha.
- Let Greer go: We have good depth at the position and we need the money to land a stud DE.
- Let Crowell go: we can do good with Ellison and we need the money to land a stud DE.

2) Try to land a stud DE: Peppers and Suggs are a dream but we can still get Spicer or Berry.

3) Sign Jason Brown: He would be a kick-ass pick. If not then go for Birk who would actually be more expensive and difficult to bring but I'm just saying.

4) Trade our second round pick and something else like McCargo for Derek Anderson (lets remember the Browns need to upgrade their d-line).

That's it, I mean we could have the room to bring someone else but that's just asking to much to this franchise.

Draft: With our first pick draft whoever is the best player available (except for a running back or a quarterback) and trade our fourth round pick and next year's third round pick for another third rounder this year in order to grab both Shawn Nelson and Antoine Caldwell who ar NFL ready.

That would be an aggressive, smart, risky, and not that expensive approach in the offseason, I like it.

* If Edwards doesn't live up to expectetions play Derek Anderson, we have a second option.
* Our interior offensive line would get much better with Brown and our running game would improve.
* Derek Fine and Shawn Nelson could probably have a breakout season, if one of them is a bust we have the other guy.
* Our wide receivers core would still be missing a big piece.
* If we land either Orakpo or Raji our pass ruch would improve.
* Try to play DiGiorgo as an outside linebacker, if he is not able to succeed just put Ellison.

DraftBoy
01-24-2009, 02:31 PM
1. OLB
2. DE
3. FS
4. TE
5. OC
6. DT
6. WR
8. QB
9. OG
10. OT
11. SS
12. ILB
13. CB
14. K
15. P

TacklingDummy
01-24-2009, 02:37 PM
Trade Peters for an established player (CJ, KW, TG type player) and a high second round pick.

Draft...

1st round: LB Rey Maualuga (MLB) USC or Aaron Curry OLB Wake Forest.
2nd round: Alex Mack C (from Peters trade) or Max Unger, C, Oregon
2nd round: Brandon Pettigrew (TE) Oklahoma State

Sign Peppers and hope Schobel comes back healthy.

Re-sign Jackson, Chambers.

Free Agency: Besides Peppers, O-line depth, Vet QB backup.

Dr. Lecter
01-24-2009, 02:48 PM
Trade Peters for an established player (CJ, KW, TG type player) and a high second round pick.

Draft...

1st round: LB Rey Maualuga (MLB) USC or Aaron Curry OLB Wake Forest.
2nd round: Alex Mack C (from Peters trade) or Max Unger, C, Oregon
2nd round: Brandon Pettigrew (TE) Oklahoma State

Sign Peppers and hope Schobel comes back healthy.

Re-sign Jackson, Chambers.

Free Agency: Besides Peppers, O-line depth, Vet QB backup.

You then need an OT to replace Peters.

And don't say Chambers.

Trading Peters for a player (especially the three you listed) and only a 2nd would be the dumbest move in several years made by this franchise.

DraftBoy
01-24-2009, 02:51 PM

And don't say Chambers.

Trading Peters for a player (especially the three you listed) and only a 2nd would be the dumbest move in several years made by this franchise.

Don't forget Peppers has already made it abundantly clear he wants to play in a 3-4 system which we don't have.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-24-2009, 02:53 PM
But maybe he is a money guy!

EDIT - Oh, but we are not a money team... forget this post then.

ddaryl
01-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Don't forget Peppers has already made it abundantly clear he wants to play in a 3-4 system which we don't have.

DE is a position of drie need, but our options are minimal.

Suggs and Peppers are the only 2 FA that make any difference, and many of the DE's in college project to be OLB's in the NFL. It's going to be difficult ot make a big impact at DE this offseason which is depressing.

TacklingDummy
01-24-2009, 03:22 PM

And don't say Chambers. Walker replaces Peters, Chambers replaces Walker. It worked well enough last year.

rading Peters for a player (especially the three you listed) and only a 2nd would be the dumbest move in several years made by this franchise. No it wouldn't. It be one of the smartest moves that people fail to see.

What's Peters worth in a trade? I've been asking many people that and so far almost all have failed to answer. They just rather bash me for actually having an opinion.

Are you saying Peters is worth more than Tony Gonzalez and the Chiefs 34th pick?
Or Wilsow and the Browns 36th pick? Or CJ and the Bengals 38th pick? Or Bolden and the Cards 31st pick? Get real, the Bills would be lucky to get that.

Anyways, back to ddaryl's thread.

PECKERWOOD
01-24-2009, 03:28 PM
Why is it that everybody wants to cut our best blocking TE in Royal? Wouldn't you want us to cut Schouman first? I mean, c'mon.. That guy reminds me of Shaud Williams in the sense that he is soooo freaking undersized and ineffective at his position.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Schouman made a lot of progress being a seventh round pick in his rookie season, I wouldn't cut him at all.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-24-2009, 04:00 PM
What's Peters worth in a trade? I've been asking many people that and so far almost all have failed to answer. They just rather bash me for actually having an opinion.

Are you saying Peters is worth more than Tony Gonzalez and the Chiefs 34th pick?
Or Wilsow and the Browns 36th pick? Or CJ and the Bengals 38th pick? Or Bolden and the Cards 31st pick? Get real, the Bills would be lucky to get that.

Anyways, back to ddaryl's thread. You been asking a lot of people?

Anyway, I have to agree with the other guy... we could get much more for Peters. I mean, an inconsistent tight end with butter in his hands, an aging clown who uses his number as his last-name, or an extremely old dude who is going to retire pretty soon who doesn't even wants to come here is not really what I'm looking for our only Pro-Bowl player.

DraftBoy
01-24-2009, 04:03 PM
DE is a position of drie need, but our options are minimal.

Suggs and Peppers are the only 2 FA that make any difference, and many of the DE's in college project to be OLB's in the NFL. It's going to be difficult ot make a big impact at DE this offseason which is depressing.

I completely agree which is why Ive been talking incessantly about people not advocating taking a DE just to take one. The guy has to fit our style of play and even then there is no guarantee he will help much. Personally I see a guy like Maurice Evans from Penn State as a good pickup in Rd 4, he got into some trouble last off season and got hurt, but the kid has top 20 talent and would be a steal later on.

Night Train
01-24-2009, 05:30 PM
I don't really care what round help arrives on draft day, just chose wisely.

Not sure how much UFA's will want to come here ,with a losing season almost looking like a given for 2009 but $$ talks with these mercenaries.

ddaryl nailed all the positions we need help at.

Sometimes, I think we could take a vote here and draft better than the Bills have the last several years. I'm not kidding.

TacklingDummy
01-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Anyway, I have to agree with the other guy... we could get much more for Peters. I mean, an inconsistent tight end with butter in his hands, an aging clown who uses his number as his last-name, or an extremely old dude who is going to retire pretty soon who doesn't even wants to come here is not really what I'm looking for our only Pro-Bowl player.

Much more but your not willing to back it up with examples. Typical.

The Jokeman
01-24-2009, 08:17 PM
1. OLB
2. DE
3. FS
4. TE
5. OC
6. DT
6. WR
8. QB
9. OG
10. OT
11. SS
12. ILB
13. CB
14. K
15. P
I understand the rationale that defense wins championships but come on our D wasn't as bad as our O was last year as a result I'd put a TE ahead of all other positions. I mean to me if we can find a legitimate TE it open up so much more on offense and in turn make the defense better because they won't be on the field as much. Granted finding a quality TE is easier said then done but think your under appreciating our defense. Granted if this is how your grading our draft needs I can agree more with this list as to me rookies can make a greater impact on defense then offense in their first years at any position with the exception of RB.

Mitchell55
01-24-2009, 08:33 PM
TE
DE
C
OLB
DT
WR
FB
S
CB
QB
K

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-24-2009, 10:21 PM
Much more but your not willing to back it up with examples. Typical. Typical? You don't even know me.

You want examples? What do you even mean with examples? Let me try:

My asking price for Jason Peters - TWO FIRST ROUND PICKS. Tony Gonzales was being shopped for a third rounder and Kellen Winslow could be shopped for a second round pick. That shows how much value this players you mentioned have in the market and you can't compare it with Peter's (PRO-BOWL player tackle!) value.

TacklingDummy
01-24-2009, 11:54 PM
Typical? You don't even know me.

You want examples? What do you even mean with examples? Let me try:

My asking price for Jason Peters - TWO FIRST ROUND PICKS. Tony Gonzales was being shopped for a third rounder and Kellen Winslow could be shopped for a second round pick. That shows how much value this players you mentioned have in the market and you can't compare it with Peter's (PRO-BOWL player tackle!) value.

"Typical" meaning no one saying what the Bills could get for Peters. Thanks for answering. :up:

No one in their right mind would give the Bills "TWO FIRST ROUND PICKS" for Peters. And if they did the Bills would be crazy not to take it.

You're right, the Chiefs wouldn't trade Tony Gonzalez (The PRO-BOWLER, future Hall of Famer) and a 2nd round pick for just Jason Peters.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-25-2009, 12:14 AM
Yeah, I forgot Tony is a Pro-Bowler but we are team trying to build for the future and it's not worth it when that trades involves dismantling your o-line. And it's not like the Chiefs wouldn't trade Gonzo and a second for Peters considering they were willing to get rid of him for just the cheap price of a third round in the first place (you consider a third round pick more valuable than Peters?). The third round asking price might have sounded dumb but back in the trade deadline Carl Peterson did realize Gonzales is not going to last much more in this league.

Two first rounders is the price I would ask because with one of those picks you have to replace Peters and still the draft is full of busts so the other first rounder would be the compensation the Bills will get for getting rid of a proven young Pro-Bowler in order to draft an unproven rookie.

It's a price no team would be willing to afford but that's exactly why I'm saying I don't want to trade him.

PECKERWOOD
01-25-2009, 12:30 AM
Sign:
• Karlos Dansby, LB, ARI --- $ (starter)
• Jason Brown, C, BAL --- $ (starter)
• Kirk Chambers, RT, BUF -- cheap (backup)
• J.T. O'Sullivan, QB, SF -- cheap (backup)
• Freddy Jackson, RB, BUF -- cheap (backup)
• Keith Ellison, LB, BUF -- cheap (backup)

Release:
• Derek Schouman, TE
• Copeland Bryan, DE (or PS squad)
• Jason Whittle, OL
• Corey McIntyre, FB
• Gibril Hamdan, QB
• Chris Kelsay, DE

Trade:
• Jason Peters (For the right price, either that or resign him.)

Draft:
• Rd1: B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College
• Rd2: William Beatty, OT, Connecticut
• Rd3: James Casey, TE, Rice
• Rd3b Derrick Williams, WR, PSU
• Rd4: Sherrod Martin, FS, Troy
• Rd5: Derek Walker, DE, Illinois
• Rd6: Graham Harrell, QB, Texas Tech
• Rd7: Will Davis, DE, Illinois

Barb
01-25-2009, 02:45 AM
jason brown is gonna be the best paid C in the league imo, so you need to show him the money to get him

jamze132
01-25-2009, 03:02 AM
Anyone who thinks TE is this team's biggest need is :crazy:

So yes the defense was ranked better than the offense but our defense needs fixed first. A defense that can create any resemblance of a pass rush is going to net more turnovers thus improving field position for the offense. When the defense allows the opposing offense to rumble on down the field and kick a FG, it makes our offense usually go 70+ yards after the ensuing kickoff.

I agree we need a TE but not at #11.

ddaryl
01-25-2009, 07:55 AM
I would be looking at Center before TE... A TE is a need but a TE is not going to change the huge deficiency we have at C and how the middle of our OL looks pathetic against big NT in the 3-4.

ddaryl
01-25-2009, 07:59 AM
"Typical" meaning no one saying what the Bills could get for Peters. Thanks for answering. :up:

No one in their right mind would give the Bills "TWO FIRST ROUND PICKS" for Peters. And if they did the Bills would be crazy not to take it.

You're right, the Chiefs wouldn't trade Tony Gonzalez (The PRO-BOWLER, future Hall of Famer) and a 2nd round pick for just Jason Peters.

I disagree... a probowl LT in his prime is worth 2 1st rd picks... and is worth a boat load more then most every trade scenario you have posted. Peters would command a 1st from KC and Gonzales

BUT I also believe a player like Gonzales dosn't have enough left in the tank to be worth trading more that a 3rd rounder for

Dr. Lecter
01-25-2009, 09:03 AM

KC would make that trade in about 2 seconds. TG has one or two more season left at best and by getting Peters they would solidify their LT position for about 10 years.

The Bills do not need to trade their best player, at perhaps the most important position on the field, unless a Herschel Walker type of offer is made. If you are an NFL team and have all-Pro LT who is one of the top 5 at that position in the NFL, you keep him around and make him happy.

Jan Reimers
01-25-2009, 09:21 AM
Lets hear from every one of you die hard broken heart Bills fans.

Personally My list goes like this

1.) Sign our own. Sign Peters quickly so it is not a pain in the ass distraction, or deal him and put us in a position to replace him. Not a popular choice, but we cannot be playing the Peters game every offseason

a.) Sign Jackson
b.) sign Crowell
c.) sign Digi
d.) sign Greer
e.) Offer RFA's tenders
2.) DE; We are super desperate for pass a rush. We need to force opposing QB's to make mistakes and not get comfortable. Free Agency would be my 1st choice but pickens are slim (Peppers and Suggs are the only pursuable options worth a damn) , and many of the DE's in the draft seem to be projected as OLB's in the NFL.

3.) C; We have to beef up the middle of our OL. Our C's got man handled by big NT's in 3-4 D's which in return had the entire O playing poorly vs: 3-4 D"s. I would get one of the C's that should be available in FA. Jason Brown would be my 1st choice based on his age. I would tell Preston to beef the **** up in the offseason if he ever wants to sniff the field again.

4.) OLB; Well see my DE comment above. We need an upgrade for Ellison. Crowell should be offered a contract, but i would not depend on Crowell to fix us. His injury concerns worry me. We can go either route FA or Draft but even if we resign Crowell we still need another OLB IMO... Ellison is too weak

5.) Backup QB. This is a vet FA pickup. There is no other option

6.) TE: We need one that can do it all. Not many TE's on the market so this could very well be a draft pcikup which means groom time. Better hope Fine and Schouman can pick it up, or Royal some how becomes Mr. Consistency. I feel good about Fine, but he hasn't done enough to eliminate the need to keep looking.

7.) WR upgrade is a tough call. It would be nice to have another threat, but unless we beef up the C of the OL and have a LT in the fold a WR upgrade would be futile.

I would take the best playmakers on the board in our draft over drafting for need. We need players that can disrupt opposing teams by themsleves. We are already loaded with role players.
I agree with your analysis, and would add a stud DT so that Williams could become a very good rotational guy, and a Safety. I'm not sold on Scott or Ko back there. But these needs certainly rank below DE, OLB, C, TE, and backup QB.

justasportsfan
01-25-2009, 10:28 AM
Walker replaces Peters, Chambers replaces Walker. It worked well enough last year.vs. crappy teams.

In your scenario.there's no one else behind unproven Chambers and Walker. Dumb idea.

TJ WHosyourmomma can be had without having to trade Peters away and he isn't a cancer like CJ. I'm glad you're not the GM.

you want continuity with a coaching staff that's shown it can't gameplan right, it can't make gameday adjustments which has led to 3 7-9 seasons. You want continuity yet you want to move players around who have proven nothing.

You say it's not coaching yet in the coaches didn't move Walker to LT when Peters went down. Seems to me you want a continuity with coaching staff does not agree with you.

You said JP is a cancer yet you want CJ here?

"We don't have talent" yet you want to trade our most proven player on the OL away for a head case who may not even get the ball if the qb can't be protected because you disrupted CONTINUITY with the OL with unproven players.

You don't even agree with yourself anymore.

after 3 years of this coaching staff you want this staff to move players around? In 3 years they should know where players should be .

ddaryl
01-25-2009, 11:07 AM
I agree with your analysis, and would add a stud DT so that Williams could become a very good rotational guy, and a Safety. I'm not sold on Scott or Ko back there. But these needs certainly rank below DE, OLB, C, TE, and backup QB.

I would say if we vastly improve our DL our Safeties will by default be considerably better.

With desperate needs at the above named positions can we really afford to add S to the list of needs.

PECKERWOOD
01-25-2009, 01:31 PM
I have to admit that I'm warming up to the idea of taking Maclin at 11, he is a Ted Ginn Jr. clone who can run MUCH better routes.