PDA

View Full Version : My Senior Bowl notes - It's raining centers!

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-24-2009, 10:53 PM
Hey, I watched the Senior Bowl and this is what I saw:

- There is too much depth and quality in the center position, I was really impressed by Eric Wood who basically dominated BJ Raji the entire game. Antoine Caldwell was also pretty solid but he needs to be more consistent (he did miss some blocks in the fourth quarter), and Alex Mack and Max Unger were good enough (they played a very good first half but Jerry and Irvin started to win the battle in the treches during the second half).
The value of these guys is gonna increase much so I don't expect any of them falling all the way to the third round but still I think we can perfectly draft one in the second round and I'm praying that guy is Eric Wood.

- BJ Raji had a horrible performance, I don't want him anymore. In the other hand both Peria Jerry and Corey Irvin were all over the quaterback.

- Rey Maualuga made two good plays but don't let you be fooled by the highlights, overall he missed a lot of tackles and was not able to close the gaps quickly enough. I wasn't impressed with him. Brian Cushing disappeared.

- Robert Ayers was pretty impressive in the practices and he was able to rush the quaterback more than three/four times. His value is increasing and that may suck because he was a potential thrid/fourth round pick and now he is not.

- Brandon Pettigrew is a great blocker but they only threw him the ball once and it was not even a good throw.

- Michael Oher didn't disappointed anyone and I also want to remark Tyronne Green's performance as a guard.

Well, I think that's it. I'm not a scout so take it for what is worth.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-25-2009, 12:26 AM
Ah come on, say something.

jimbohastle51
01-25-2009, 12:48 AM
i disagree with out about the centers, i sat at the 15th row at the 45 yard line and the south broke down the north offensive line ALL NIGHT LONG! unger, mack and urick were very average, and wood was the only one that seemed solid. as for maualuga, he lined the defense up right and put the DL line in great positions to succeed, also he had a couple really solid plays! i only saw one tackle that he straight up missed. there were times when he didnt make a tackle that he probably couldnt have made anyways but he didnt really totally miss any, also cushing hit his gaps nice and had a couple plays where he pushed lineman back and forced TFL or at least shut the run play down, also he was flying down the field on special teams giving 110% in a all star game, the biggest disapoinment to me was phil loadhold, i swear that guy came in every 4th posession allowed a sack or pressure then goofed off on the sidelines the rest of the night, everyone on the north sideline was saying that. also another disapointment to me was iglesias, his numbers may have been 6 catchs for 90 yards, but i can tell you for sure after watching very close up, do NOT expect him to catch a ball in traffic (just like the national championship game), dont anyone try to defend him because this is the NFL he is playing in next season and if you get your hands on the ball your coach will expect it to be caught, and there were 4 passes off the top of my head that that kid just tanked or tried to one hand for no reason at all.

Night Train
01-25-2009, 06:33 AM
Over in the scouting zone, I stated that Caldwell of Alabama stood out in the mid week drills as the only Center who could anchor.

He would get his hands on the DT's and just stone them. Raji tried to bull rush him and he didn't budge. Mack,Unger and others were pushed around with ease and couldn't anchor at all.

I'll take Caldwell, who has the natural ability and strength.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-25-2009, 11:18 AM
Well, maybe I overrated Unger and Smack's performance but I don't think they broke at all during the first half.

DraftBoy
01-26-2009, 10:57 AM
Like I have been saying now for months the OC class is not as clear cut talent wise and some liked to think it was. There is NOT a big dropoff between Mack, Caldwell, Shipley, Wood, etc. We can get an OC in Round 4 who could start for us Day 1.

madness
01-26-2009, 11:50 AM
Like I have been saying now for months the OC class is not as clear cut talent wise and some liked to think it was. There is NOT a big dropoff between Mack, Caldwell, Shipley, Wood, etc. We can get an OC in Round 4 who could start for us Day 1.

Hopefully a FA signing deters that.

ServoBillieves
01-26-2009, 11:13 PM
I'd take Shipley, Mack, or Unger over who we have right now.

The Jokeman
01-27-2009, 07:31 PM
I'd take Shipley, Mack, or Unger over who we have right now.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Simon: Gentleman, I'd like you to meet our new captain.
Clarence Oveur: Gentlemen, welcome aboard.
Simon: Captain, your navigator, Mr. Unger, and your first officer Mr. Dunn.
Clarence Oveur: Unger.
Unger: Oveur.
Dunn: Oveur.
Clarence Oveur: Dunn. Gentlemen, let's get to work.
Simon: Unger, didn't you serve Oveur in the Air Force?
Unger: Not directly. Technically, Dunn was under Oveur and I was under Dunn.
Dunn: Yep.
Simon: So, Dunn you were under Oveur and over Unger.
Unger: Yep.
Clarence Oveur: That's right. Dunn was over Unger, and I was over Dunn.
Unger: So you see, both Dunn and I were under Oveur, even though I was under Dunn.
Clarence Oveur: Dunn was over Unger, and I was over Dunn.