X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xXSpIkes5IXx
    • Mar 2006

Jason Peters really messed up...

I was just thinking, man did his holdout backfire. He missed all of training camp, reported out of shape, and had an absolute terrible season. You could make the argument he was the 4th best offensive lineman on the team this season.

This comes from a man who, in 2007, had an absolutely outstanding year and quite frankly played above his pay level. So instead of working hard in camp and earning the extension, he decided to play chicken with the FO, which ended up backfiring. Hence our line ended up giving up over 10 more sacks than it did in 2007.

Now he dosent deserve a big money extension IMO, or at least not as much as he would have commanded had he worked hard in the off season and had another outstanding year.
  • LtFinFan66
    • Mar 2005

Re: Jason Peters really messed up...

absolutely terrible probowl season

Comment

• TacklingDummy
      Unreachable Douche
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by LtFinFan66
      Farve made the probowl, what's your point?

Comment

• LtFinFan66
        • Mar 2005

I was being sarcastic

Comment

• billogic99
          • Oct 2008

I think the FO messed up more. I think they could have convinced Peters to come back and play hard last year and ensure he either gets a big fat contract from us or at the very least we could trade him to a team willing to pay him big bucks!! Basically a win win for everyone. Instead the FO desides standing firm in their negotiations was the better route. What did they get for that brilliant thinking? An awful performance by their starting LT and a much lower trade value. Basically a simply awful decision for everyone involved. This is why the coaching is just the tip of the iceburg for the franchise. They so badly need to be reworked from top to bottom it isn't even funny.

Comment

• xXSpIkes5IXx
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by billogic99
            I think the FO messed up more. I think they could have convinced Peters to come back and play hard last year and ensure he either gets a big fat contract from us or at the very least we could trade him to a team willing to pay him big bucks!! Basically a win win for everyone. Instead the FO desides standing firm in their negotiations was the better route. What did they get for that brilliant thinking? An awful performance by their starting LT and a much lower trade value. Basically a simply awful decision for everyone involved. This is why the coaching is just the tip of the iceburg for the franchise. They so badly need to be reworked from top to bottom it isn't even funny.
            I would agree with you, except for the fact that the FO had already given Peters an extension, 1 or 2 years prior. I with the FO on this one, you cant cave in like that, despite all the mistakes they have made, the Peters thing was a poor decision by his agent and himself.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
              Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Before the start of last season Peters still had 3 years remaining on his contract. You don't negotiate another extension so far in advance. His holdout was senseless and ridiculous. His agent is an ahole and Peters is a complete moron.

Comment

• Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
                • May 2007

Actually it was a pretty smart move from his part. He didn't show to the training camp and pre-season and yet he was the starting guy and yet he made it to the Pro-Bowl. Even though we know he didn't play good enough to go the the Pro-Bowl he proved the franchise he can hold-out, screw the the team, and still increase his overall individual value in the league.
                I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

Comment

• Kenny
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
                  Before the start of last season Peters still had 3 years remaining on his contract. You don't negotiate another extension so far in advance. His holdout was senseless and ridiculous. His agent is an ahole and Peters is a complete moron.
                  While yes it was senseless and ridiculous on his part, and it's true that no one held a gun to his head when he signed that ridiculously undervalued extension...
                  I'd be willing to bet there wouldnt be a single player in this league that wouldnt have done the same thing put in Peters situation.

Comment

• billogic99
                    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by xXSpIkes5IXx
                    I would agree with you, except for the fact that the FO had already given Peters an extension, 1 or 2 years prior. I with the FO on this one, you cant cave in like that, despite all the mistakes they have made, the Peters thing was a poor decision by his agent and himself.
                    Peters level of play was on the rise, he was headed towards being one of the top LT's in the league. Like I said the FO could have reasoned with him and letting him know they were all for giving him his raise or trading him somewhere that would give him the payday he was looking for, instead the FO thought they'd play the control card and the results of that are where we stand right now. My point was if the FO had been the slightest bit willing to compromise this situation could have been very different right now.

Comment

• Tatonka
                      • Jul 2002

peters is a moron. but he got like a 6 on his wonderlic.. so it is not shocking news that he has to have a moron agent tell him what awful decisions to make.

i really could care less about peters.. if they traded him, i would be totally ok with it.. and if the sack of **** shows up and plays like 2007 then great. either way, i dont care.
                      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• tat2dmike77
                        Let the planet get warmer. We'll grow oranges in Alaska!
                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by LtFinFan66
                        I know you're being sarcastic.

But this is why the Pro Bowl is a joke along with all the other "all star" games. It's just a popularity contest and means nothing except a bonus to the players. I say get rid of the game and just have a All NFL team. Like the NCAA has All Americans just have the All NFL team because in my book the season is over when the super bowl is over. The Pro Bowl is just a waste of time.

Comment

• ddaryl
                          Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Kenny
                          While yes it was senseless and ridiculous on his part, and it's true that no one held a gun to his head when he signed that ridiculously undervalued extension...
                          I'd be willing to bet there wouldnt be a single player in this league that wouldnt have done the same thing put in Peters situation.
                          I'll take that bet. There are players who have a great sense of integrity...

See Exhibit A ... Lee Evans

Comment

• billogic99
                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by tat2dmike77
                            I know you're being sarcastic.

But this is why the Pro Bowl is a joke along with all the other "all star" games. It's just a popularity contest and means nothing except a bonus to the players. I say get rid of the game and just have a All NFL team. Like the NCAA has All Americans just have the All NFL team because in my book the season is over when the super bowl is over. The Pro Bowl is just a waste of time.
                            I don't agree entirely, I think the Por bowl has it's flaws, but I also think you do have to perform to make it in. I think for players like Favre your opinion is 100% spot on, but I don't beieve Jason Peters is a popular football player, so I don't believe that's why he made the Pro Bowl. I know the fans help to determine the players that go, but I can't understand why anyone, even Bill fans would have voted Peters in.

There aren't a whole lot of stats to be kept by an Olineman, however Sacks are the one stat that stands out above the rest for Linemen and Jason I believe gave up the most this year, he held out was out of shape early on and had more injury issues. There is no way Jason Peters should have been selected to the Pro Bowl....none!! My guess is the Bill fans voted the most and he was elected.

That said I think there are plenty of player going to the Pro Bowl this year and most years that earned the right to go. Of all the players in the Pro Bowl that I know of Jason and Brett are the only 2 that I don't think belong there.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Peters increased his value this season, so how is it a mistake?
                              COMING SOON...
                              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X