PDA

View Full Version : Jason Peters really messed up...

xXSpIkes5IXx
01-25-2009, 05:08 PM
I was just thinking, man did his holdout backfire. He missed all of training camp, reported out of shape, and had an absolute terrible season. You could make the argument he was the 4th best offensive lineman on the team this season.

This comes from a man who, in 2007, had an absolutely outstanding year and quite frankly played above his pay level. So instead of working hard in camp and earning the extension, he decided to play chicken with the FO, which ended up backfiring. Hence our line ended up giving up over 10 more sacks than it did in 2007.

Now he dosent deserve a big money extension IMO, or at least not as much as he would have commanded had he worked hard in the off season and had another outstanding year.

LtFinFan66
01-25-2009, 05:10 PM
absolutely terrible probowl season

TacklingDummy
01-25-2009, 06:24 PM

Farve made the probowl, what's your point?

LtFinFan66
01-25-2009, 06:31 PM
I was being sarcastic

billogic99
01-25-2009, 06:40 PM
I think the FO messed up more. I think they could have convinced Peters to come back and play hard last year and ensure he either gets a big fat contract from us or at the very least we could trade him to a team willing to pay him big bucks!! Basically a win win for everyone. Instead the FO desides standing firm in their negotiations was the better route. What did they get for that brilliant thinking? An awful performance by their starting LT and a much lower trade value. Basically a simply awful decision for everyone involved. This is why the coaching is just the tip of the iceburg for the franchise. They so badly need to be reworked from top to bottom it isn't even funny.

xXSpIkes5IXx
01-25-2009, 06:58 PM
I think the FO messed up more. I think they could have convinced Peters to come back and play hard last year and ensure he either gets a big fat contract from us or at the very least we could trade him to a team willing to pay him big bucks!! Basically a win win for everyone. Instead the FO desides standing firm in their negotiations was the better route. What did they get for that brilliant thinking? An awful performance by their starting LT and a much lower trade value. Basically a simply awful decision for everyone involved. This is why the coaching is just the tip of the iceburg for the franchise. They so badly need to be reworked from top to bottom it isn't even funny.

I would agree with you, except for the fact that the FO had already given Peters an extension, 1 or 2 years prior. I with the FO on this one, you cant cave in like that, despite all the mistakes they have made, the Peters thing was a poor decision by his agent and himself.

Mr. Miyagi
01-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Before the start of last season Peters still had 3 years remaining on his contract. You don't negotiate another extension so far in advance. His holdout was senseless and ridiculous. His agent is an ahole and Peters is a complete moron.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
01-25-2009, 09:10 PM
Actually it was a pretty smart move from his part. He didn't show to the training camp and pre-season and yet he was the starting guy and yet he made it to the Pro-Bowl. Even though we know he didn't play good enough to go the the Pro-Bowl he proved the franchise he can hold-out, screw the the team, and still increase his overall individual value in the league.

Kenny
01-25-2009, 09:17 PM
Before the start of last season Peters still had 3 years remaining on his contract. You don't negotiate another extension so far in advance. His holdout was senseless and ridiculous. His agent is an ahole and Peters is a complete moron.

While yes it was senseless and ridiculous on his part, and it's true that no one held a gun to his head when he signed that ridiculously undervalued extension...
I'd be willing to bet there wouldnt be a single player in this league that wouldnt have done the same thing put in Peters situation.

billogic99
01-25-2009, 09:27 PM
I would agree with you, except for the fact that the FO had already given Peters an extension, 1 or 2 years prior. I with the FO on this one, you cant cave in like that, despite all the mistakes they have made, the Peters thing was a poor decision by his agent and himself.

Peters level of play was on the rise, he was headed towards being one of the top LT's in the league. Like I said the FO could have reasoned with him and letting him know they were all for giving him his raise or trading him somewhere that would give him the payday he was looking for, instead the FO thought they'd play the control card and the results of that are where we stand right now. My point was if the FO had been the slightest bit willing to compromise this situation could have been very different right now.

Tatonka
01-25-2009, 11:41 PM
peters is a moron. but he got like a 6 on his wonderlic.. so it is not shocking news that he has to have a moron agent tell him what awful decisions to make.

i really could care less about peters.. if they traded him, i would be totally ok with it.. and if the sack of **** shows up and plays like 2007 then great. either way, i dont care.

tat2dmike77
01-25-2009, 11:45 PM

I know you're being sarcastic.

But this is why the Pro Bowl is a joke along with all the other "all star" games. It's just a popularity contest and means nothing except a bonus to the players. I say get rid of the game and just have a All NFL team. Like the NCAA has All Americans just have the All NFL team because in my book the season is over when the super bowl is over. The Pro Bowl is just a waste of time.

ddaryl
01-26-2009, 07:39 AM
While yes it was senseless and ridiculous on his part, and it's true that no one held a gun to his head when he signed that ridiculously undervalued extension...
I'd be willing to bet there wouldnt be a single player in this league that wouldnt have done the same thing put in Peters situation.

I'll take that bet. There are players who have a great sense of integrity...

See Exhibit A ... Lee Evans

billogic99
01-26-2009, 11:14 AM
I know you're being sarcastic.

But this is why the Pro Bowl is a joke along with all the other "all star" games. It's just a popularity contest and means nothing except a bonus to the players. I say get rid of the game and just have a All NFL team. Like the NCAA has All Americans just have the All NFL team because in my book the season is over when the super bowl is over. The Pro Bowl is just a waste of time.

I don't agree entirely, I think the Por bowl has it's flaws, but I also think you do have to perform to make it in. I think for players like Favre your opinion is 100% spot on, but I don't beieve Jason Peters is a popular football player, so I don't believe that's why he made the Pro Bowl. I know the fans help to determine the players that go, but I can't understand why anyone, even Bill fans would have voted Peters in.

There aren't a whole lot of stats to be kept by an Olineman, however Sacks are the one stat that stands out above the rest for Linemen and Jason I believe gave up the most this year, he held out was out of shape early on and had more injury issues. There is no way Jason Peters should have been selected to the Pro Bowl....none!! My guess is the Bill fans voted the most and he was elected.

That said I think there are plenty of player going to the Pro Bowl this year and most years that earned the right to go. Of all the players in the Pro Bowl that I know of Jason and Brett are the only 2 that I don't think belong there.

DraftBoy
01-26-2009, 11:16 AM
Peters increased his value this season, so how is it a mistake?

billogic99
01-26-2009, 11:25 AM

Really? I would say at the very least he would have people second guessing trading for him. Why? Attitude, injuries and a very poor 08 season. When people are going to spend million on you they generally like to feel secure in that decision, regarless of how things turn out, they like to feel good going in. Json didn't give anyone in the league the feeling he's their man, imo.

madness
01-26-2009, 11:42 AM

Because he showed his hand. His value to the Bills may have increased but not to the league. Even the Cowboys are starting to understand that morons with big egos hurt the team more then they can help it.

DraftBoy
01-26-2009, 12:06 PM
Really? I would say at the very least he would have people second guessing trading for him. Why? Attitude, injuries and a very poor 08 season. When people are going to spend million on you they generally like to feel secure in that decision, regarless of how things turn out, they like to feel good going in. Json didn't give anyone in the league the feeling he's their man, imo.

Underpaid and adds another pro bowl to his resume. Deserved or not, do you think that's going to make one iota of difference in contract negotiations? He got named that means the price goes up. If I get an award at work (deserved or not), Im sure as hell going to ask for a raise at my next review without a doubt.

realdealryan
01-26-2009, 12:22 PM
If I get an award at work (deserved or not), Im sure as hell going to ask for a raise at my next review without a doubt.

Even if you didn't show up for a couple of months?

madness
01-26-2009, 12:26 PM
Even if you didn't show up for a couple of months?

:rofl: Bad example there, DB...but go ahead and try it. You have to take off of work for a couple months because you want more money but you can't contact your work to let them know that's the reason you haven't shown up. Please let us know how it works out. :D

Raptor
01-26-2009, 12:48 PM
I think he and his agent disagree that he "messed up"

First he makes the Pro Bowl which is whatever but when you couple it w/ making the All Pro team he and his agent at the same time "CHA CHING!!!!!"

The guy did not mess up at all

justasportsfan
01-26-2009, 01:40 PM
they gave Peters an extension as a RT. LT's make way more money because it's more important in protecting the qbs blindside. They moved him to LT and paid guys like Walker , KELSAY and Aaron more money . Even though Aarons contract wasn't up he was given a raise because they overpaid Kelsay . Why can't they do the same for Peters who isn't even being paid average LT money? He's a 2 time probowler now who is being paid less than average LT's in the league.

I was with the FO prior to the season starting. Peters came back and the FO supposedly said said they will work on his contract this season. It's time for them to live up to their word.

don137
01-26-2009, 01:54 PM
I really doubt Peters feels he messed up since he basically implied "i told you so" when he made the pro bowl to all the Peters naysayers who said he regressed badly this year. In his mind I think he is convinced more than ever he deserves a new contract (plus the fact he is dumb as a rock).

crowder52
01-28-2009, 11:52 AM

I would agree with that statement. I'm not saying this to brag in your face Bills fans but Peters didn't deserve to go near the Pro Bowl. He got owned by Porter in both meeting giving up 4 sacks along the way, two more than Jake Long allowed all year. He held out because he thought he was the **** but he had to find out the hard way he's not as good as he thinks.

SabreEleven
01-29-2009, 10:43 PM
I'd be afraid if I was an AFC QB in two weeks....Peters making the Pro Bowl is just the NFL players sticking together and sticking it to owners...Making sure Peters gets his $$$.

SabreEleven
01-29-2009, 10:44 PM
I guess it's a week and half, not two weeks.

Wally The Barber
01-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Yea. kind of reminds me of somebody
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaiSHcHM0PA

madness
01-30-2009, 12:25 PM
I'd be afraid if I was an AFC QB in two weeks....Peters making the Pro Bowl is just the NFL players sticking together and sticking it to owners...Making sure Peters gets his $$$.

Peters isn't playing.