PDA

View Full Version : Prepare to be disappointed in FA.

HHURRICANE
01-26-2009, 08:54 AM
The Bills will most likely not be able to fill their two most pressing needs via FA which is DE and TE.

Neither Suggs or Peppers is going to be wearing a Bills uniform and if Gonzales leaves KC it will be for a team that looks closer than us. So the big names will be quickly off the board.

The Bills are super focused on Center. I believe the Bills will resign Duke Preston and work super hard to bring Matt Birk in. Birk will be a cap friendly pick up under "cash to cap" and probably is only looking for a 2 year deal. So from a FA standpoint this is the best we can do.

I think the Bills have been forced to draft by need instead of the best talent. The Bills need to either move up or down depending on what is available. Every year they do niether.

yordad
01-26-2009, 08:58 AM
How does one prepare for this?

Mr. Miyagi
01-26-2009, 08:59 AM
You only get disappointed if you have high expectations.

Considering Jason Whittle was our midnight signing couple years ago, anything else will be a pleasant surprise to me.

Dr. Lecter
01-26-2009, 08:59 AM
Why do they need to move up or move down?

That makes no sense, since nobody has any idea who will be available at that time.

HHURRICANE
01-26-2009, 09:03 AM
Why do they need to move up or move down?

That makes no sense, since nobody has any idea who will be available at that time.

Ben Rothlinsberger, Patrick Willis, I can go on. The point is that the Bills need to go after players they want, not settle for the players they get.

Jacksonville moved up to get their DE. When was the last time the Bills moved out of their first pick, up or down?

MikeInRoch
01-26-2009, 09:05 AM
"Prepare to be disappointed" - so what makes this off season special?

Mr. Miyagi
01-26-2009, 09:12 AM
Jacksonville moved up to get their DE.
How did that work out for them?

lukabrossi
01-26-2009, 09:16 AM
The Bills on draft day are notoriously known as a laughing stock for not being aggressive enough. They lack the desire, the knowledge and the enthusiasam of a professional franchise.
Prepare for another disappointing draft day....and season.....and lifetime of failure.
I have spoken.

HHURRICANE
01-26-2009, 09:18 AM
How did that work out for them?

I was waiting for this comment. We don't know how it's going to work out but I give them credit for getting the player they wanted.

The Texans passed on Bush and how did that work out?

MikeInRoch
01-26-2009, 09:20 AM
The Bills on draft day are notoriously known as a laughing stock for not being aggressive enough. They lack the desire, the knowledge and the enthusiasam of a professional franchise.
Prepare for another disappointing draft day....and season.....and lifetime of failure.
I have spoken.

Notoriously known by who?

Philagape
01-26-2009, 09:23 AM
Bills fans should be very well prepared for disappointment

Dr. Lecter
01-26-2009, 09:25 AM
I was waiting for this comment. We don't know how it's going to work out but I give them credit for getting the player they wanted.

It worked out pretty well.

Mario Williams is a better player than Reggie Bush.

If the Bills moved up and made a pick that turned out bad, you would be the first one to scream that they ****er up. Trading up is fine, if there is a reason to do so. But acting as if trading up is a magically move and is always good is not true.

Dr. Lecter
01-26-2009, 09:26 AM
I have spoken.

They have moved up a number of times recently (Poz, JP, etc.).

Aggresiveness is not a problem, proper selecting is.

lukabrossi
01-26-2009, 09:39 AM

Aggresiveness is not a problem, proper selecting is.

....good point.

jamze132
01-26-2009, 09:42 AM
Ben Rothlinsberger, Patrick Willis, I can go on. The point is that the Bills need to go after players they want, not settle for the players they get.

Jacksonville moved up to get their DE. When was the last time the Bills moved out of their first pick, up or down?
Remember when the Bills traded away half of a draft to get JP? That turned out pretty good for the Cowboys...

lukabrossi
01-26-2009, 09:46 AM
The Bills need proven people in place who can handle a draft with some sort of compatency.

TacklingDummy
01-26-2009, 09:54 AM
The Bills will most likely not be able to fill their two most pressing needs via FA which is DE and TE.

Don't forget under cash to cap renegotiating Jason Peters contract could eat up any cap money the Bills have.

mybills
01-26-2009, 10:07 AM
It's all a gamble. The Bills just have bad luck.

lukabrossi
01-26-2009, 10:18 AM
bad luck?....i'd call it bad management.

MikeInRoch
01-26-2009, 10:39 AM
Bad luck can explain single occurrences. Repeated bad luck points to a different problem.

bigbub2352
01-26-2009, 10:44 AM
the only way to get the fanbase back is to spend big this season, if they dont do that and only re-sign peters to a nondeserving deal and low ball jackson with a 1yr tender
and go out and sign some camp fodder i.e Courtney Anderson
and try and draft there needs we wont see a home game this season
i hope i am wrong
but the way things have been this is probably how it is gonna go

Ebenezer
01-26-2009, 10:45 AM
Don't forget under cash to cap renegotiating Jason Peters contract could eat up any cap money the Bills have.
You are wildly incorrect.

bigbub2352
01-26-2009, 10:45 AM
also bringing back the same regime means bringing back most of its players too
that is sad

yordad
01-26-2009, 10:49 AM
Bad luck can explain single occurrences. Repeated bad luck points to a different problem.A curse? :idunno:

DraftBoy
01-26-2009, 10:52 AM
The Bills need proven people in place who can handle a draft with some sort of compatency.

I sent my resume into RW, but I forgot to send in the large print version of it...

:sadwalk:

DraftBoy
01-26-2009, 10:53 AM

Have you seen the Texans play??

Jacksonville's Harvey was the longest hold out in the NFL amongst rookies, Id say it turned out pretty crappy so far since they had to pay a guy to pretty much waste an entire season because he missed camp.

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-26-2009, 11:05 AM
I keep my expectations of this team and free agency extremely low so I don't think there will be disappointment from myself.

billogic99
01-26-2009, 11:21 AM

Neither Suggs or Peppers is going to be wearing a Bills uniform and if Gonzales leaves KC it will be for a team that looks closer than us. So the big names will be quickly off the board.

The Bills are super focused on Center. I believe the Bills will resign Duke Preston and work super hard to bring Matt Birk in. Birk will be a cap friendly pick up under "cash to cap" and probably is only looking for a 2 year deal. So from a FA standpoint this is the best we can do.

I think the Bills have been forced to draft by need instead of the best talent. The Bills need to either move up or down depending on what is available. Every year they do niether.

Well Birk would fill a need and we could draft a TE with our first pick. It's not like a Pro bowl quality TE isn't worth high first round consideration. I think there are several TE's in the league we would give up a first for if we knew they would turn out to be studs, so the position itself isn't an issue at 11 IMO. With 2 big offensive needs filled we can focus on the DE, DT and LB positions with the next three picks. I think the Bills can have a real nice off season cash to cap or not.

Yasgur's Farm
01-26-2009, 11:32 AM

Aggresiveness is not a problem, proper selecting is.I'm gonna have to add McCargo to that list... They've moved up 2 out of the last 3 years... 3 out of the last 5.

Reed was a move up as well.

OpIv37
01-26-2009, 11:40 AM
Right now, I'd say our biggest needs are

1. DE
2. C
3a. LB
3b TE

There is NO WAY that this team spends on a top quality DE in FA. The best they'll do is find a Kelsay clone from another team, so that has to be our highest draft choice (unless someone who is too good to pass up drops to us).

I fully expect this team to address C via FA. I'd like to see them just let Fowler and Preston walk, sign Birk and draft a C in a middle round.

LB is pretty much the same as DE. The FA market only has a few top guys and they're going to be expensive, so I fully expect the status quo in this situation. Best realistic scenario is that we re-sign Crow, but I don't see that happening because of the bad blood.

TE- they'll cut Royal and go with Fine and Schouman. That's just how this team operates. I've given up hope of ever having a quality TE again, unless one of these two defies the odds and turns out to be above average (and I don't see that happening either).

Long story short: only one of these glaring holes will be sufficiently addressed this off-season.

madness
01-26-2009, 11:47 AM
I went to Sam's club, bought bottled water, a case of tissues and I'm almost done building the panic room behind my couch.

OpIv37
01-26-2009, 11:54 AM
I went to Sam's club, bought bottled water, a case of tissues and I'm almost done building the panic room behind my couch.

a bottle of whiskey and a case of beer would be much better preparation for this upcoming season.

DraftBoy
01-26-2009, 12:00 PM
a bottle of whiskey and a case of beer would be much better preparation for this upcoming season.

But at least spoil yourself and go with a nice whiskey. Go for Johnny Walker black label or soemthing.

madness
01-26-2009, 12:03 PM

That's my Bills' gameday preparation. :drunks:

Dr. Lecter
01-26-2009, 12:09 PM
But at least spoil yourself and go with a nice whiskey. Go for Johnny Walker black label or soemthing.

Knob Creek or Jim Beam Black is always good.

Of course, since it will be just a bad, nasty angry drunk just guzzle the Ten High and be done with it.

MikeInRoch
01-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Here's my secret. Start with the good stuff. After a few shots, you won't care if you switch to cheap crap.

Luisito23
01-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Disappointed - adj Definition: let down, saddened
Antonyms: delighted, excited, happy, pleased, satisfied

Disappointment - http://www.gamedaypages.com/bills_logo.gif

ddaryl
01-26-2009, 01:05 PM
Well HH since it is this bad and we have no hope.. Bills fans might have little other choice. What a shame, but this is what being a diehard Bills fan has come to.

If your depressed and see nothing but gloom and doom. If being a bills fan has rattled your last nerve, and has sucked up all your patience.. there is only one thing left to do...

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/81015/1069965.gif

this was for humor... If you really intend to follow these instructions please seek help.. it's only football

TacklingDummy
01-26-2009, 01:10 PM
You are wildly incorrect.

Instead of saying im "incorrect", why not correct me?

I've read the Bills are around $29 million under the cap. If they do renegotiate with Peters how much of that will be going to Peters? Signing bonus + salary.

We'll see who's correct if the Bills renegotiate with Peters. I probably won't be correct because I expect Peters to be traded. With the money saved from that the Bills may be able to sign a couple of impact players. If the Bills renegotiate with Peters, I don't expect any Free Agent signing that are worth mentioning.

tat2dmike77
01-26-2009, 01:15 PM
How does one prepare for this?

Alcohol plenty of alcohol

yordad
01-26-2009, 01:40 PM
I prefere to think of it as "Being prepared to be pleasantly surprised". It's the same thing, but with the glass half full! Nothing like a good ol' optimistically pessimistic outlook. lol

Mr. Pink
01-27-2009, 08:24 AM

They did go after who they wanted when they traded up to get Losman, McCargo, etc.

How did that work out?

Point is the draft is a crapshoot and even if you want the guy doesn't mean he's gonna pan out. Especially when your talent evaluators flat out suck.

lukabrossi
01-27-2009, 09:00 AM
....another disappointinng draft....another disappointing season.

mybills
01-27-2009, 09:06 AM
They have over all bad luck. From picking at the draft, to bad calls from the refs, to losing 4 SB in a row. Picking in the draft is a gamble..you don't know who will perform well at an NFL level, or who will end up injury prone, but you roll the dice. Some teams always have good luck on their side when they roll it. The Bills hardly ever do.

lukabrossi
01-27-2009, 09:08 AM
it has nothing to do with luck. It is about mis-management and accountability.

mybills
01-27-2009, 09:41 AM
it has SOMETHing to do with luck. It is about mis-management and accountability.